2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
32 members (20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#1339065 01/02/10 09:36 AM
C
cardguy Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
I'm guessing this has been talked about before. Why oh why can't I stop reading these things, because they are truly depressing.

"I really love this song. LOL"

(In response to a surpassingly difficult Chopin etude) "I played this song 10 years ago. My teacher liked the way I played it. LOL."

"Can anyone tell me where I can get the sheets to this song? LOL"

I'm just making these up as I go along, but catches the flavor I think.

Accuse me of elitism if you want, or perhaps grumpy old mannism, but I can't shake the depressing sense that our culture is in decline. I suppose one could argue that these are just kids, and the fact that they're listening to classical music is a good sign, but I'm a glass half empty kind of guy. If these re the best and the brightest, what about the rest of them?

Of course, it's also true that I was a drooling idiot myself until I hit 40 or so :-)

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
I think our culture is in decline, but I try to accept it with equanimity.

YouTube comments certainly seem like a showcase for insolent ignorance, and the lack of critical thinking and communication skills that's displayed (whether unwittingly or deliberately) is quite likely one gauge of our existential entropy.

I try to insulate myself from such disturbing crassness; like any train wreck, it's probably a good idea not to look! It really helps to have some personal safe space—a little corner of the world that isn't falling apart—even if it's in your mind. Hey, I reckon that's what "peace of mind" is. smile

Steven

M
M
I hate seeing every one of the examples Cardguy mentioned, but I absolutely loathe one other type: on a YT video specifically titled (just for example) "Hofmann: Chopin Military Polonaise (rec 1923), someone might comment "you play this song really well!".

This raises my blood pressure whenever I see it. How the commenter could possibly think the "song" is being played by the video uploader is beyond me.

J
J
While I enjoy rock and metal music I can't truly appreciate it the way I do classical music. For me classical music engages the mind and soul the way rock never could. I don't know if this generation is interested in that or not. I think they like the quick "high" that certain types of so-called music (like rap)give them. For some though I think they just have been raised on popular music right from birth and have been indoctrinated with the idea that classical music is just for older, rich people. I am thankful that I received a Tchaikovsky cassette when I was eigth or nine and was introduced to a whole new world of sound unlike any I had heard before. I probably said myself "this is a great song".

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Our culture is in decline because of this annoying elitism, not because someone is friendly and enthusiastic about something but doesn't know much about it...

Currently working on
Prokofiev Piano Concerto 3
Beethoven Sonata Op.109
Chopin Op.10 No.1
Bach WTC II no. 15

--Sam--
C
cardguy Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by xtraheat
Our culture is in decline because of this annoying elitism, not because someone is friendly and enthusiastic about something but doesn't know much about it...

"Friendly" and "enthusiastic" are the very last adjectives I'd use to characterize the majority of the responses I see, although I'll grant you that I am, as I've already stipulated, a pessimist when it comes to our culture at large.

I was having dinner with some friends recently and their 25 year old, college educated daughter was along. She was attractive, warm, personable, and also in my view shockingly ignorant for someone with a degree. She'd never heard of sunspots for just one example.

Now fine, again, perhaps I'm elitist, or maybe when I was 25 I didn't now what sunspots were...although Ii suspect I did... but if that's what we can expect from the well educated among today's youth, I think we're in trouble.

Last edited by cardguy; 01/02/10 12:02 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Your first example was: "I really love this song. LOL" That is pretty friendly and enthusiastic... Another one posted that made the posters "blood boil" was: "you play this song really well!" That is yet another friendly and enthusiastic comment by someone trying to give a nice comment, yet are somewhat confused

Currently working on
Beethoven Sonata Op.109
Chopin Op.10 No.1
Bach WTC II no. 15

--Sam--
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
I think allegations of elitism are annoying.

Steven

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
It's not those kind of posts that bother me.

I have to say that, in general, there are mostly nice and even interesting comments at piano videos on youtube.

But sometimes, when I see completely idiotic posts at a rather obscure classical piano video, it makes me wonder how on earth those people ended up watching that video in the first place... or maybe I'm just disappointed that such rude and ignorant individuals are listening to classical music as well.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I don't mind most of the Youtube comments, although I don't read them much. If someone is enthusiastic about a recording, that's good enough for me even if the expression of the enthusiasm seems to indicate the poster doesn't have much knowledge. IMO it's great just to have people who might not normally listen to classical music that often listening on Youtube.

Since the comments aren't moderated, one would naturally expect that some would be extremely vulgar or use profanity.

There are plenty of well educated people who know little about pianos or classical music. I once told an intelligent adult I was having serious problems with my piano(before I got my BB) and they replied "Oh, it needs a tuning?" Some very smart people who don't play any instrument have told me they thought that as long as one could read music(the notes), the pieces I play don't require any practice.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 01/02/10 02:48 PM.
I actually like to read those comments, they make me laugh sometimes and laughing is good right?

But if you take no pleasure in reading those comments, you could download a little firefox extention called "The YouTube Comment Snob". It alows you to filter out undesirable comments.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sotto voce

Steven

Do you ever do anything but complain about everything?

Currently working on
Beethoven Sonata Op.109
Chopin Op.10 No.1
Bach WTC II no. 15

--Sam--
M
M
Another one posted that made the posters "blood boil" was: "you play this song really well!" That is yet another friendly and enthusiastic comment by someone trying to give a nice comment, yet are somewhat confused

No no, that wasn't what I meant. I could've used a different example: "you play that too fast". The point is that the person is too oblivious to notice that it was recorded in (for example) 1923, despite the fact that it's clearly marked, and tries to offer critique to a 95 year old recording. Whether or not the person has good intentions is a different matter; I'm just talking about ignorance (I wouldn't say confusion) towards the recording.

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
I think you guys would enjoy this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd5bl4e--KU

"I was obliged to be industrious. Whoever is equally industrious will succeed equally well."

J.S. Bach
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sotto voce

Steven

Do you ever do anything but complain about everything?

Speaking of decline, let's not have this thread degenerate!

I don't think youtube comments are evidence of cultural decline: I think the internet simply gives us a light to shine across the country, so we can see, in a way we previously couldn't, evidence of ignorance.

But I strongly agree with Steven that accusations of elitism, both here and in the national discussion, are annoying. You try to be informed, you learn as much as you can, you try to be precise and careful how you say things, and you're branded an elitist. Are elite military units embarrassed by their competence?

On a lighter note though, here is a great video about classical music and youtube comments! (It's similar to the one posted above, but I like it much more.) Some swearing in the video. Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MODNcU4Xf4k

-Jason

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I agree. I think most charges of "elitism" are leveled by people who are threatened by those who have wider interests and/or knowledge.

Ignorance is as fond of company as is misery.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
No, they are leveled by people who are sick and tired of people thinking that they are superior to others. If you all haven't noticed, pianists like Horowitz, Argerich, Cziffra, etc. never made claims like this. It is the same throughout almost all of the arts and other activities... The best and most talented people do not brag and make arrogant statements, and they accept people that are more ignorant of their art. The people that brag and are elitist are usually the less talented people who need to reassure themselves about their ability and knowledge.

Currently working on
Beethoven Sonata Op.109
Chopin Op.10 No.1
Bach WTC II no. 15

--Sam--
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by cardguy
I'm guessing this has been talked about before. Why oh why can't I stop reading these things, because they are truly depressing.

"I really love this song. LOL"

(In response to a surpassingly difficult Chopin etude) "I played this song 10 years ago. My teacher liked the way I played it. LOL."

"Can anyone tell me where I can get the sheets to this song? LOL"

I'm just making these up as I go along, but catches the flavor I think.

Accuse me of elitism if you want, or perhaps grumpy old mannism, but I can't shake the depressing sense that our culture is in decline. I suppose one could argue that these are just kids, and the fact that they're listening to classical music is a good sign, but I'm a glass half empty kind of guy. If these re the best and the brightest, what about the rest of them?

Of course, it's also true that I was a drooling idiot myself until I hit 40 or so :-)

"Dumb is the new cool." That pretty much sums up today's culture. As an avid YouTuber, I know what you mean by the stupid comments, but you're right. At least "they" are listening to classical music.

On the positive side, I think most of these kids will grow out of it, and kudos to the ones who play the piano in the first place.

I'm a firm believer that musical education raises IQ points.

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
But most of the accusations of elitism made in this country these days seem to be toward people who don't consider themselves superior, but who have made the mistake of being educated and thoughtful. I recall overhearing someone at my job saying that the show "Jeopardy" was rigged, because nobody can be that smart.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any braggart pianists, though.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
I like my generation smile

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission