2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 17 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ferdinand
Anyone notice that weird does not follow the i before e rule?
Weird.

YES!! I have always had immense trubble spelling wierd wired weird laugh That's weird! (hoping to remember it more easily from now on)

The recent thread on rythm points to another common difficulty. For years now I have abbreviated rhythm to ritm and sometimes forget that it is not the usual way.

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.

...Or if you are really a nerd, add 9 M sulfuric acid to table sugar. Hydrocarbon dehydration at it's best! grin

At its best is with the concentrated sulfuric acid, which is more than 18 M. grin

Indeed! grin But, IIRC, concentrated sulfuric acid is a gelatin at room temp and isn't easy to handle.

I'm pretty sure it's still a liquid IIRC (had to google IIRC ;)).

Do like you oughta, add acid to water (best said with a Boston accent).

Last edited by Kreisler; 01/03/10 03:07 PM.

"Ah, music. A magic beyond all we do here!" J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, 1997.

[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Thanks, one detail that had slipped my mind. smile

Hehehehe, that would sound good with a Boston accent. grin

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
W
W
Indeed! grin But, IIRC, concentrated sulfuric acid is a gelatin at room temp and isn't easy to handle. [/quote]

Not really! The viscosity of a concentrated sulfuric acid is less than that of vegetable or lightest motor oil. So it is not difficult to pour at all. It should definitely be handled responsibly, as many other things.

P.S. On a topic of the thread, watching TV these days is weird to me smirk

Last edited by WhiteBear; 01/02/10 02:00 AM.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Yep, foxy set me straight there. So many details...

Ain't that the truth? sick

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Horowitzian
Originally Posted by Damon
Originally Posted by gooddog
....Another boring party. I’m just not that interested in television, what’s playing in the movies and sports.....

No, I'd say pretty much everyone here is weird. And Horowitzian just turned into MarkCannon. grin

Very much, I'm sorry to say. Though I'm still waaaaay ahead of him in post count! grin

Sheesh, I don't even know what y'all are talking about. smile
Neither the physics, nor even the guy you said.
And I used to think I knew about those subjects...... ha

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sotto voce
A big revelation for me is just how many of us are involved in science—"hard" science, too, not social sciences like ... erm ... linguistics. smile

Once upon a time I thought I might be, too, but I could barely get through calculus my freshman year. frown

Steven

I think there's something to it. One of the great joys of running a lab full of graduate students is that I get to choose who I work with. As often as possible I gravitate towards kids who have a side-interest in music and as a result I have two violinists (one is *really* good), two pianists and a trombonist.

Justin
-------
Bach English Suite #5
Scarlatti Sonata K141 . L422
Mozart Sonata K333
Schubert Impromptu opus 90 D899
Schubert Moment Musicaux opus 94 D780
T
T
This is a somewhat comforting thread. I find myself feeling weird and unable to make friends... and worse, I can't find anyone in real life who shares my passion for the piano. I can't sustain light-weight party conversations. People walk away from me within 5 minutes. I have a PhD in philosophical theology -- that's a real conversation stopper.

People have even walked into my home, seen the Steinway B that fills my tiny living room, and said nothing or inquired nothing about it. (I sweat blood for that piano, going without a car for a number of years to pay for it.) It IS the center of my life. It always amazes me that the piano seems invisible to my acquaintances. I suppose people with obsessions are always a little surprised that others don't share their obsessions. But from my perspective, if someone doesn't "get" the piano, there is something aesthetically deficient about them, and s/he is the weird one. But I feel hopelessly outnumbered!

I don't think I am that strange actually. I've always been a loner. But I'm a genuinely nice and interesting person. I am frustrated and lonely. It doesn't help that I'm shy. I work at home as a medical records editor (another conversation stopper).

I wonder if this loneliness is structural, given the nature of my private life and society. But maybe that is only one component of it, as my experience doesn't seem that different from some of you.

I'm also fascinated with politics, am extremely liberal, and few people ever want to talk serious politics anyway.

At 53, I'm pretty used to being alone. But I don't like it. I just don't know how to find other people who are like myself. Sigh.

Happy new year, everyone!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I read political thrillers and piano books.

I enjoy politics and detective thrillers. Never heard of a "political thrillers." Name a few.
I'm sure I'd enjoy them.

Tomasino

"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict
What really irritates me is when they want me to become like them.... Like when they say I am depressed because of the music I listen to, and that I should listen to modern music, rap etc... How do they know what I like????

You should tell them that recent brain-wave studies have shown that brain activity actually decreases when people listen to rap.

It's easy to be happy when your brain doesn't process much. What's depressing is talking to people like that. One reason I don't go to parties.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by -Frycek
Just to prove how weird I am, he's a picture of my own little "illegal alien" a caudex of Cycas siamensis "silver" I'm rooting.

Is it a correct assumption, then, that the Cycas siamensis "silver" needs to be hydrated with a gallon of milk as opposed to ordinary water?

Tomasino

"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Sometimes at parties, people find me a little weird.
However I hope their views change after the publication of my latest book entitled, 'A Truss Full Of Lentils'.

You just made me laugh out loud at work. But that's OK, since everyone at work already thinks I'm weird. My response to them, to quote Claus von Bülow: "You have no idea."

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
You're suffering because is pretty much more easy to be like everybody else. Listen to the same music, whear the same clothes, have the same kind of marrige, have similar jobs.

They will realize that their lifes had pass and they didn't nothing of what they really want to do.

This is wy I started to play piano. I don't care whether I'll be concertist or not, I'm doing what I always want to do, period. And I heard a lot of BS about it, like "piano is a girls stuff", bla bla blah. Perhaps all you need to do is to have the "I don't care what you think about me" attitude.

Gooddog Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tim Stinnett
I'm pretty used to being alone. But I don't like it. I just don't know how to find other people who are like myself. Sigh.
Happy new year, everyone!

Well, then, there's the crux of it. How do we find each other (locally, that is)?

Originally Posted by tomasino
I read political thrillers and piano books.

I enjoy politics and detective thrillers. Never heard of a "political thrillers." Name a few.
I'm sure I'd enjoy them.
Tomasino

Maybe "political thriller" isn't the right term, but I like politics intertwined with spies, assassins, FBI, CIA. (I hate murder mysteries)- try authors like Daniel Silva, Vince Flinn, Alex Berenson, Tom Clancy to name a few. I also like political Sci Fi like Greg Bear's "Moving Mars" and the Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson.

Best regards,

Deborah
F
F
I'm also "weird" :P

What kind of science do you teach?

Gooddog Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
I teach 10th grade biology, which I love and 9th grade general science, which I tolerate. I've also taught high school zoology which was a blast.

Best regards,

Deborah
A
A
I guess I'll join the wierd scientist party.

I'm a Biology professor, but I do watch tv and listen to (satellite) radio. I tend to self-isolate at social functions, as I've been doing since I was a child. I've always relied on those more outgoing than myself to make friends, and have lucked out in realizing that my friends are all on the wierd and what some would consider, "dorky/nerdy" side.

Originally Posted by moscheles001
What really irritates me is when they want me to become like them.... Like when they say I am depressed because of the music I listen to, and that I should listen to modern music, rap etc... How do they know what I like????

You should tell them that recent brain-wave studies have shown that brain activity actually decreases when people listen to rap.
It's easy to be happy when your brain doesn't process much. What's depressing is talking to people like that. One reason I don't go to parties.

In defense of rap, not all of it is mindless. There are a few artists that have thought provoking or politically charged lyrics. There are also some who make interesting analogies and references to literary works, beyond a passing knowledge of said works. However, they don't get much mainstream radio play.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by anadyr21

Originally Posted by moscheles001

In defense of rap, not all of it is mindless. There are a few artists that have thought provoking or politically charged lyrics. There are also some who make interesting analogies and references to literary works, beyond a passing knowledge of said works. However, they don't get much mainstream radio play.

I am a rebel too.... The lyrics can be OK sometimes, but the rhythm that accompanies them (the music?) is disturbing to my weird ears... smile

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I can enjoy many kinds of music and I appreciate things for what they are. For example I also like dance music when going out.
But when it comes to my real passion in music: electronic ambient music and classical piano music (I know, a weird combo), I have found it's completely pointless to share my interest in this music with friends or family.
I have tried that before and gave up a long time ago. It's simply not the kind of music you can casually share with others, who have never really listened to these types of music. Many people have a more 'casual' taste in music or don't have the patience to learn to listen to it.

My main reason to visit internet forums such as this one, is to talk, read and learn about my favorite music. It's my own private little thing that nobody really knows about. I have accepted this and I'm quite fine with it.

Last edited by babama; 01/02/10 06:58 PM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Speaking of weird, does anyone else have the experience that the formatting of this thread is strange? With my settings (using Firefox on a Mac), this thread is up to five pages, and the formatting of page five is all off. Pages one through four are fine, but five is displaying the page too widely.

I don't really care, but I think it's a funny coincidence, as if my browser is trying to say "I'm weird too!".

-Jason

Page 7 of 17 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission