2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
57 members (c++, Daryl Durand, Digitalguy, andredatele, Boboulus, David Boyce, anotherscott, 16 invisible), 538 guests, and 489 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 17 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 16 17
Re: Are you weird?...
Horowitzian #1338867 01/01/10 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by Horowitzian
Back to the topic of chemistry, here's a great YouTube channel for chemistry nerds:

NurdRage's channel

Nice! I'll have to check some of those videos out. I like that the name is Dr. N. Butyl Lithium. That's awesome!

This is my favorite chemistry song and it involves piano too smile

Tom Lehrer - The Element Song

"Ah, music. A magic beyond all we do here!" J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, 1997.

[Linked Image]
foxyw #1338888 01/01/10 11:08 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by foxyw
Back to the topic of chemistry, here's a great YouTube channel for chemistry nerds:

NurdRage's channel

Nice! I'll have to check some of those videos out. I like that the name is Dr. N. Butyl Lithium. That's awesome!

This is my favorite chemistry song and it involves piano too smile

Tom Lehrer - The Element Song

It's a great channel, so enjoy! smile

How does he say some of those so fast? It's a hoot. Thanks for the link. cool

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
Horowitzian #1338890 01/01/10 11:13 PM
L
L
That's funny because I do have a degree in chemistry and I really don't like chemistry very much. I wish I'd majored in music like my piano teacher wanted me to.

Laura

beet31425 #1338904 01/01/10 11:36 PM
gooddog Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beet31425
It's a strange paradox, and I wonder if anyone else experiences it: the things that I think I get the deepest satisfaction ...that I think set me apart from the herds of "non-weird" people and give my life richness, these are precisely the things, because they separate and isolate me, that sometimes make me unhappy. A double-edged sword.
-Jason

Jason, thank you for pointing out that my glass is half full and not half empty! This thread has assured me that I am not alone and perhaps I will be lucky enough to find some local souls to be friends with. In the meantime, PW satisfies my need for intelligent conversation.

Best regards,

Deborah
lauralei #1338910 01/01/10 11:42 PM
L
L
Originally Posted by lauralei
...I do have a degree in chemistry

How hard would it be to take the carbon out of carbon dioxide so you'd end up with just C and O2? That might get Al Gore off our backs about global warming -- or it would if CO2 was really the villian. Anyhow, somebody told me it could be done with solar energy but I think he may have been blowing smoke.

gooddog #1338913 01/01/10 11:48 PM
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
A big revelation for me is just how many of us are involved in science—"hard" science, too, not social sciences like ... erm ... linguistics. smile

Once upon a time I thought I might be, too, but I could barely get through calculus my freshman year. frown

Steven

sotto voce #1338918 01/01/10 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by sotto voce
A big revelation for me is just how many of us are involved in science—"hard" science, too, not social sciences like ... erm ... linguistics. smile

Once upon a time I thought I might be, too, but I could barely get through calculus my freshman year. frown

Steven

There are certainly a lot of scientists here. Physics almost did me in but luckily I made it through. I do recall getting a 25 out of 100 on a test. My friend, a math major, got a 15 on the same test. Not a fun semester!

I wish I had taken a few music classes as an undergraduate but luckily now I do have the opportunity to sit in on some of the music classes at the university where I work.

"Ah, music. A magic beyond all we do here!" J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, 1997.

[Linked Image]
Ludwig van Bilge #1338919 01/01/10 11:58 PM
E
E
What a thread! I guess this topic strikes a chord with many!

Perhaps piano player's brains are indeed wired differently. And the themes brought up here are resonating with the like minded.

Based on the responses, aside from those who are professionally involved with the piano or the piano industry, is there a bias towards the practitioners, students and teachers of the sciences?

Perhaps a statistics expert can already "see" the answer.

Ludwig van Bilge #1338920 01/01/10 11:58 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ludwig van Bilge

How hard would it be to take the carbon out of carbon dioxide so you'd end up with just C and O2? That might get Al Gore off our backs about global warming -- or it would if CO2 was really the villian. Anyhow, somebody told me it could be done with solar energy but I think he may have been blowing smoke.

Hehehe, probably better to not open that can of worms here. wink

Ludwig van Bilge #1338921 01/01/10 11:59 PM
W
W

Solar energy can do wonders.
By generating electricity, very mighty reactions can then be driven electrochemically.
Yet simpler, any green plant can generate oxygen out of carbon dioxide and produce carbohydrates.
If one really needs carbon - just thermolyze or dehydrate hydrocarbons; think of those burnt food in the oven (and the smoke) smile

Global warming is quite controversial to say the least (it usually happens with many things when politicians get involved)

EltonRach #1338922 01/02/10 12:00 AM
E
E
Oh my goodness - in the time it took for me to draft out my comment - there appeared other posts observing the science bias ! This thread is really striking a chord.

sotto voce #1338924 01/02/10 12:02 AM
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
A big revelation for me is just how many of us are involved in science—"hard" science, too,

There seems to be a connection with engineering as well.. I teach at a small undergraduate engineering school, and I've heard (and have witnessed) that about 50% of the students play a musical instrument (or sing), many at a very high level. Their performances at the end of each semester are amazing. How do they find the time to practice??

WhiteBear #1338925 01/02/10 12:03 AM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WhiteBear

By generating electricity, very mighty reactions can then be driven electrochemically.
Yet simpler, any green plant can generate oxygen out of carbon dioxide and produce carbohydrates.
If one really needs carbon - just thermolyze or dehydrate hydrocarbons; think of those burnt food in the oven (and the smoke) smile

[...]

...Or if you are really a nerd, add 9 M sulfuric acid to table sugar. Hydrocarbon dehydration at it's best! grin

Chardonnay #1338926 01/02/10 12:04 AM
gooddog Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chardonnay
How do they find the time to practice??
Simple survival. If we don't practice, we lose our minds.

There is something analytically satisfying about classical music that must appeal to a scientific mind. Several times I've heard music teachers comment how many of their most advanced adult students are scientists or medical doctors.

Best regards,

Deborah
gooddog #1338932 01/02/10 12:12 AM
Originally Posted by gooddog
Originally Posted by Chardonnay
How do they find the time to practice??
Simple survival. If we don't practice, we lose our minds.

There is something analytically satisfying about classical music that must appeal to a scientific mind. Several times I've heard music teachers comment how many of their most advanced adult students are scientists or medical doctors.

I definitely agree. I really enjoy learning music theory and seeing it applied in the music. It's like analyzing scientific data. I've only been playing as an adult for about 1.5 years so I'm a relatively new player. I didn't realize just how interesting theory could be before I started playing. I just spent an hour or so working through a chapter in my theory book - all about V7 chords. Learning to recognize intervals and chords and their inversions is interesting to me too.

[Linked Image]
Horowitzian #1338935 01/02/10 12:22 AM
W
W

[...]

...Or if you are really a nerd, add 9 M sulfuric acid to table sugar. Hydrocarbon dehydration at it's best! grin

At its best is with the concentrated sulfuric acid, which is more than 18 M. grin

gooddog #1338936 01/02/10 12:24 AM
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by gooddog

And yet it correlates strongly with language, too, at least in my own weird mind smile , and not just in obvious ways like being an expressive medium with structures, rules and a lexicon.

I've always felt a deep connection with the notation and graphic elements of music. To me, a score is akin to the printed text of a story; it gives tangible form to something that's otherwise amorphous and ephemeral. I love reading music!

Steven

WhiteBear #1338943 01/02/10 12:35 AM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member

[...]

At its best is with the concentrated sulfuric acid, which is more than 18 M. grin

Indeed! grin But, IIRC, concentrated sulfuric acid is a gelatin at room temp and isn't easy to handle.

Horowitzian #1338949 01/02/10 12:43 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sotto voce
I've always felt a deep connection with the notation and graphic elements of music. To me, a score is akin to the printed text of a story; it gives tangible form to something that's otherwise amorphous and ephemeral. I love reading music!

Me too! and I love the oversized handwritten scores of experimental composers of the 20th century, used to like to hang out at the Big Scores section of the music school library. Have you heard the quote that "music is like architecture multiplied by time" - forgotten who said it or exact wording.

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
gooddog #1338950 01/02/10 12:43 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Anyone notice that weird does not follow the i before e rule?
Weird.

Page 6 of 17 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 16 17

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The 100 Hardest Piano Concertos
by achoo42 - 11/30/20 06:19 PM
MIDI to USB double output
by lukasz-zsakul - 11/30/20 04:57 PM
Chopin's Nocturne op 27 no.2 vs. op.72 no.1
by RhaegarTargaryen - 11/30/20 03:51 PM
back after 34 years
by JerryLouis - 11/30/20 02:44 PM
Roland FP-30 Bluetooth Connectivity Issue
by Yaboku - 11/30/20 01:08 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,170
Posts3,029,003
Members99,437
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission