2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
79 members (B3boy, ambrozy, Adem, AndrewJCW, Bela P. Havasreti, 36251, Anglagard44, 21 invisible), 719 guests, and 580 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 16 17
Re: Are you weird?...
Horowitzian #1338728 01/01/10 07:12 PM
I am lucky that although I don't work directly for the chemistry department, I do work closely with members of the department almost every day. I just love chemistry and have always been grateful that I discovered my interest in chemistry in high school, due in part to having a great teacher. I enjoy analyzing scientific data like NMR and IR spectra and I believe that my 20+ years of doing so has helped with my learning to read music and recognize the patterns within. I'm not wild about pure lab work but am more than happy to analyze any compounds that someone else synthesizes smile

"Ah, music. A magic beyond all we do here!" J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, 1997.

[Linked Image]
Horowitzian #1338729 01/01/10 07:13 PM
American Idol was won by that kid with the guitar...

My answer to the OP question is "YES!" I am weird. I am lucky to have two or three wonderful "piano friends" who really understand...and I think my teacher appreciates my intensity about my learning and studying so carefully. I basically think about piano, piano literature, what I'm working on, what to focus on at my next practice time at the piano... anything piano, most of the time..While driving or exercising, I can listen to a particular work I am interested in repeatedly for weeks at a time. Of course, I am attentive to my family but they all know that they do not get a nice dinner on the table during the weekdays as I have to practice! My day job is in a school system (severely involved, special ed) and I do play the Bach Partita No. 2, Sinfonia, twice daily while I play the wooden frog (metronome) to my multiply challenged students, some with autism. It really helps gain their attention before I work with them. My husband is really into rowing and is as intense about his sport as I am about piano...so we can share our passions although we each do not really "get" what the others does! I am lucky in that I live in a community that values music, our high school was recently an award recipient for the best band program in the country... and I live in a college town with one of the best piano programs in the country, too.

ChopinAddict #1338732 01/01/10 07:14 PM
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
monitor PCR reactions by, for example, the incorporation of a fluorescently labled nucleotide into ds DNA. There's a gizmo called a 'light cycler' that is used routinely for this kind of thing.

Are you referring to what is called, "real-time PCR"? I need to learn more about that. Does the light cycler monitor/display the incorporation of fluorescence as it happens? Does this mean that running gels on the PCR products is not required? That would certainly save valuable time!
(Or am I mistaken?)

ChopinAddict #1338733 01/01/10 07:14 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict
I like science too, in particularly biology. How I would like to work with a microscope!
And I love astronomy too.

Do you have one? Quite decent microscopes can be had for surprisingly affordable prices these days. No, they won't have Leica lenses, but they can be extremely good. National is a good brand that offers some basic educational models.

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
Horowitzian #1338735 01/01/10 07:15 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
WHAT THE HECK THREAD HAS THIS BECOME?

I'm going to take some pain medicine because my head hurts reading all of this. smirk

jnod #1338736 01/01/10 07:15 PM
Poster: jnod
Subject: Re: Are you weird?...

Great book for chemistry weirdos" "Uncle Tungten" by Oliver Sacks.

Oh yes, I've heard of that one. We have that book in the chemistry library and I've been meaning to check it out. I listened to Oliver Sacks book called Musicophilia. That was interesting.

"Ah, music. A magic beyond all we do here!" J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, 1997.

[Linked Image]
Orange Soda King #1338737 01/01/10 07:16 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
gooddog has unleashed a monster!

a Good and Happy monster of course.

My first job was in Biochemistry research. Got my name on a paper too laugh These days I am fond of frogs. And propagating plants is always thrilling.

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
Horowitzian #1338739 01/01/10 07:17 PM
gooddog Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Horowitzian
Quite decent microscopes can be had for surprisingly affordable prices these days.

I wish. Our school 'scopes are more than 30 years old and have to be repaired constantly. We can't afford to purchase 32 new microscopes at $250 to $400 a piece.

Best regards,

Deborah
foxyw #1338741 01/01/10 07:19 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by foxyw
I am lucky that although I don't work directly for the chemistry department, I do work closely with members of the department almost every day. I just love chemistry and have always been grateful that I discovered my interest in chemistry in high school, due in part to having a great teacher. I enjoy analyzing scientific data like NMR and IR spectra and I believe that my 20+ years of doing so has helped with my learning to read music and recognize the patterns within. I'm not wild about pure lab work but am more than happy to analyze any compounds that someone else synthesizes smile

That sounds cool! smile I'm strongly considering a career in chemistry. I've always tended towards wanting to be an engineer, but I've discovered that chemistry is a real interest for me. I can thank a great lecture prof and an even better lab instructor (who has a PhD in physical chemistry) for that.

gooddog #1338743 01/01/10 07:21 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gooddog
Quite decent microscopes can be had for surprisingly affordable prices these days.

I wish. Our school 'scopes are more than 30 years old and have to be repaired constantly. We can't afford to purchase 32 new microscopes at $250 to $400 a piece.

Dang! That's a shame. My personal microscope is a National, and while I'd love to have something even nicer, it's excellent for what it is.

Orange Soda King #1338744 01/01/10 07:23 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
WHAT THE HECK THREAD HAS THIS BECOME?

I'm going to take some pain medicine because my head hurts reading all of this. smirk

It's the revenge of the resident nerds for all the years of weighty musical discussions around here. grin

[edit] Apologies for the strung together posts... blush

Last edited by Horowitzian; 01/01/10 07:23 PM.

jnod #1338745 01/01/10 07:24 PM
L
L
Originally Posted by jnod
Newton is close enough to right for much of modern engineering to work for example.

Would you tell a child that a digital piano works with hammers & strings like an acoustic piano if it easier to explain and easy for the child to understand? Would that be close enough to the truth?

Likewise Newton is not close enough to right for anybody who needs to grasp the fundamentals.

Cheers & Happy New Year

Horowitzian #1338746 01/01/10 07:25 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I like science too, in particularly biology. How I would like to work with a microscope!

Do you have one? Quite decent microscopes can be had for surprisingly affordable prices these days. No, they won't have Leica lenses, but they can be extremely good. National is a good brand that offers some basic educational models.

Not yet, but I intend to buy one... smile

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Ludwig van Bilge #1338747 01/01/10 07:25 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ludwig van Bilge
Originally Posted by jnod
Newton is close enough to right for much of modern engineering to work for example.

Would you tell a child that a digital piano works with hammers & strings like an acoustic piano if it easier to explain and easy for the child to understand? Would that be close enough to the truth?

Likewise Newton is not close enough to right for anybody who needs to grasp the fundamentals.

Cheers & Happy New Year

bah How quickly some forget how important the basics are...

Horowitzian #1338751 01/01/10 07:27 PM
That's super Horowitzian! There are many opportunities in the field of chemistry. I took a somewhat non-traditional path after graduate school and worked for a manufacturer of scientific instrumentation for 14 years before moving into academia. The senior chemistry major who told me that quantum mechanics really helped him understand his previous chemistry classes started out as an mechanical engineering major and ended up switching to chemistry after taking general chemistry as a freshman. My degree is in organic chemistry but my PhD thesis was more leaning toward physical organic chemistry (rather than synthesis or methodology) while the jobs that I've had have tended toward analytical chemistry.

[Linked Image]
ChopinAddict #1338752 01/01/10 07:29 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member

Not yet, but I intend to buy one... smile

Best wishes! May I recommend this book? It's an excellent introduction to both microscopy as well as purchasing a quality instrument.

gooddog #1338753 01/01/10 07:31 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
To Jnod: I'm drooling. We high school teachers find it hard to keep up with the new stuff because they burden us with all the pedogological nonsense. I'd love to see this.

I can honestly say that I've never had this kind of response to one of my little technology asides! Though seriously, these things move so quickly that it's tough to keep up. Many universities have continuing ed courses that teach some of this stuff I know.

Justin
-------
Bach English Suite #5
Scarlatti Sonata K141 . L422
Mozart Sonata K333
Schubert Impromptu opus 90 D899
Schubert Moment Musicaux opus 94 D780
foxyw #1338754 01/01/10 07:32 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by foxyw
That's super Horowitzian! There are many opportunities in the field of chemistry. I took a somewhat non-traditional path after graduate school and worked for a manufacturer of scientific instrumentation for 14 years before moving into academia. The senior chemistry major who told me that quantum mechanics really helped him understand his previous chemistry classes started out as an mechanical engineering major and ended up switching to chemistry after taking general chemistry as a freshman. My degree is in organic chemistry but my PhD thesis was more leaning toward physical organic chemistry (rather than synthesis or methodology) while the jobs that I've had have tended toward analytical chemistry.

Thanks, foxy! I've heard quite a bit about chemistry being the hottest research field in recent years. Your story is most interesting. So is that other guy's. I'm an engineering major right now. laugh That could very well change. smile

Last edited by Horowitzian; 01/01/10 07:33 PM.

gooddog #1338757 01/01/10 07:34 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
...or is it just me?

Another boring party. I’m just not that interested in television, what’s playing in the movies and sports. When I tell people I’m deeply into classical piano, they say, “Oh,” and the conversation doesn’t progress. (I’d love to exchange ideas about composers, interpretation, technique, musicians and repertoire). When I tell them I teach high school science, their eyes go blank and they run in terror. Of course, when I ask them about themselves, they’ll talk on until my eyes cross. I’m pretty comfortable being different but I really do miss having conversations about things that interest me. I'd love to learn something new besides who won American Idol. (Yawn). You too?

Deborah,
Three pages (and counting) of replies in as many hours - maybe you aren't so weird after all?

Justin
-------
Bach English Suite #5
Scarlatti Sonata K141 . L422
Mozart Sonata K333
Schubert Impromptu opus 90 D899
Schubert Moment Musicaux opus 94 D780
Horowitzian #1338758 01/01/10 07:35 PM
L
L
How quickly some forget how important the basics are...

Exactly my point. Teaching Newtonian gravity is not teaching the basics. Newton is INCORRECT. This has been known for a century and yet it's news to some science teachers in the U.S. Little wonder we're not the big guns in science anymore.

Page 4 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 16 17

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2021 Free Newsletter for piano lovers is here now...
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommendations for a Humidifer
by Brian Sweeney - 01/21/21 04:09 PM
Museum Geelvinck - Early Pianos Festival
by Piano World - 01/21/21 04:06 PM
What Is a Sixth Chord Good For?
by KenBakerMN - 01/21/21 03:50 PM
does something like this exist?
by keystring - 01/21/21 03:50 PM
In person AND online?
by KrisR - 01/21/21 03:47 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,447
Posts3,049,858
Members100,164
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission