Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
141 registered members (AnthonyPaulO, Animisha, AlphaBravoCharlie, Andy R, APassionatePianist, anotherscott, agraffe, ando, 35 invisible), 1,740 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 17 1 2 3 4 16 17
Re: Are you weird?... [Re: Horowitzian] #1338645
01/01/10 07:03 PM
01/01/10 07:03 PM
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 794
Toronto
jnod Offline
500 Post Club Member
jnod  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 794
Toronto
Agreed generally with Horowitzian though Einstein's view on gravity, motion etc can be taught without all the math and can be certainly explained to high school students.

Einstein developed many of his concepts though thought experiments where he imagined common experiences under uncommon conditions. The best known example is his ride on a streetcar away from a clock tower on his way to work. He imagined what would happen if instead of going 25 km/hour or whatever, he literally rode on the beam of light as it bounced off the clock. How would his experience of things around him change? The answers get progressively weirder as you move from considering how relative time changes (ie on the streetcar vs on the street) to how relative mass changes. The result (along with a bunch of other stuff) is the Special Theory of Relativity.

Similarly I would say quantum theory can be taught at a level high school students could understand using thought experiments like the Schrodinger cat idea. The main benefit of this stuff is that it's incredibly interesting!! Not to take anything away from Newton et al, but 20th c physics is totally mind-blowing. Great way to turn high school kids, at least some of them, onto science for its own sake.


Justin
-------
Bach English Suite #5
Scarlatti Sonata K141 . L422
Mozart Sonata K333
Schubert Impromptu opus 90 D899
Schubert Moment Musicaux opus 94 D780
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Are you weird?... [Re: gooddog] #1338647
01/01/10 07:05 PM
01/01/10 07:05 PM
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 483
Tweedpipe Offline
Full Member
Tweedpipe  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 483
Originally Posted by gooddog
...or is it just me?

Another boring party. I’m just not that interested in television, what’s playing in the movies and sports. When I tell people I’m deeply into classical piano, they say, “Oh,” and the conversation doesn’t progress. (I’d love to exchange ideas about composers, interpretation, technique, musicians and repertoire). When I tell them I teach high school science, their eyes go blank and they run in terror. Of course, when I ask them about themselves, they’ll talk on until my eyes cross. I’m pretty comfortable being different but I really do miss having conversations about things that interest me. I'd love to learn something new besides who won American Idol. (Yawn). You too?


What's American Idol?

Sometimes at parties, people find me a little weird.
However I hope their views change after the publication of my latest book entitled, 'A Truss Full Of Lentils'.


Currently working on:-
C Major scale (r/h only - starting with the pinkie finger)......

Dear Noah,
We could have sworn you said the ark wasn't leaving till 5.
Yours sincerely,
The Unicorns



------------------------------

Re: Are you weird?... [Re: gooddog] #1338649
01/01/10 07:06 PM
01/01/10 07:06 PM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,675
Arghhh Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Arghhh  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,675
Originally Posted by gooddog
...or is it just me?

Another boring party. I’m just not that interested in television, what’s playing in the movies and sports. When I tell people I’m deeply into classical piano, they say, “Oh,” and the conversation doesn’t progress. (I’d love to exchange ideas about composers, interpretation, technique, musicians and repertoire). When I tell them I teach high school science, their eyes go blank and they run in terror. Of course, when I ask them about themselves, they’ll talk on until my eyes cross. I’m pretty comfortable being different but I really do miss having conversations about things that interest me. I'd love to learn something new besides who won American Idol. (Yawn). You too?


You're right - all those other people are weird.


Professional pianist and piano teacher.
Re: Are you weird?... [Re: jnod] #1338653
01/01/10 07:13 PM
01/01/10 07:13 PM
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 8,453
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Horowitzian  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 8,453
Originally Posted by jnod
Agreed generally with Horowitzian though Einstein's view on gravity, motion etc can be taught without all the math and can be certainly explained to high school students.

Einstein developed many of his concepts though thought experiments where he imagined common experiences under uncommon conditions. The best known example is his ride on a streetcar away from a clock tower on his way to work. He imagined what would happen if instead of going 25 km/hour or whatever, he literally rode on the beam of light as it bounced off the clock. How would his experience of things around him change? The answers get progressively weirder as you move from considering how relative time changes (ie on the streetcar vs on the street) to how relative mass changes. The result (along with a bunch of other stuff) is the Special Theory of Relativity.

Similarly I would say quantum theory can be taught at a level high school students could understand using thought experiments like the Schrodinger cat idea. The main benefit of this stuff is that it's incredibly interesting!! Not to take anything away from Newton et al, but 20th c physics is totally mind-blowing. Great way to turn high school kids, at least some of them, onto science for its own sake.


Yes, I agree. That's why I said "qualitative analysis". smile It is fascinating. thumb

What's even more mind-blowing to me is how powerful quantum mechanics and the various ideas that spin off of it is for explaining a lot of things we see. Chemists, for example, still use Lewis bonding theory because it is a powerful tool for predicting molecular geometry. However, both Lewis Theory and the more advanced Valence Bond Theory fail to explain why the oxygen molecule is paramagnetic (attracted by a magnet). Both indicate that it has no unpaired electrons and therefore should be diamagnetic. But experimental data shows that oxygen is attracted to magnets. The very powerful Molecular Orbital Theory reveals that the oxygen molecule does indeed have an unpaired electron in an antibonding orbital that results in the molecule being paramagnetic.


Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
Re: Are you weird?... [Re: ChopinAddict] #1338655
01/01/10 07:14 PM
01/01/10 07:14 PM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,163
Briarcliff Manor, NY, USA
S
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member
sotto voce  Offline
6000 Post Club Member
S

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,163
Briarcliff Manor, NY, USA
Everybody is somebody's weirdo. smile

I watch a lot of television, I keep Netflix busy and I'm interested in other aspects of popular culture, too. I can make conversation and "pass" for normal if I wish, but I don't really enjoy the company of people unless there's that special spark shared by kindred spirits.

I was definitely a weird kid (Aspergers, I reckon, though it was decades before it had a name), but as a young adult—especially during my years at UCLA and later when I was a newcomer to New York City—there was a seemingly endless supply of interesting people with whom to socialize (or not).

I'm relatively isolated now, and that's fine, too; social events, and the attendant pressure to be "on," are more exhausting now than ever. Often alone, never lonely is a credo that's always worked for me.

Steven

Re: Are you weird?... [Re: Ludwig van Bilge] #1338659
01/01/10 07:19 PM
01/01/10 07:19 PM
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 22,341
New York
Mark_C Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Mark_C  Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 22,341
New York
Originally Posted by Ludwig van Bilge
.....Okay, Here's a question I've been wanting to ask a HS science teacher. One day I was poking about in Yahoo Answers in the section where kids go to cheat on their homework. Somebody asked what keeps the moon in orbit around the earth. Several of the answers spoke about a balance between centrifugal & centripetal forces of gravity. I was thunderstruck. Is it possible that a nearly a century after Einstein taught us Relativity we're still teaching Newtonian gravity in school??.....

Perfect example of the millions of things I'd want to ask too. ha

Re: Are you weird?... [Re: sotto voce] #1338661
01/01/10 07:23 PM
01/01/10 07:23 PM
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 170
British Columbia, Canada
T
thumper49 Offline
Full Member
thumper49  Offline
Full Member
T

Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 170
British Columbia, Canada
Quote
Everybody is somebody's weirdo


Couldn't agree more. And I had the same experience as sotto voce when I left my small town home to attend university -- all of a sudden there were a lot of people just like me to talk to if I felt like it. I'm good company for myself, fortunately.


[Linked Image]


Currently working on: Suzuki Piano School, book 5, second half
Re: Are you weird?... [Re: sotto voce] #1338666
01/01/10 07:26 PM
01/01/10 07:26 PM
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,941
Australia
Canonie Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Canonie  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,941
Australia
Hi gooddog, come on over and play all your works in progress and discuss Everything to do with piano and the great challenges of mastering it... If only!!

I really need a piano friend or two. No wonder i am enjoying lessons so much, but an unpaid friend would be nice smile I'm sure I'll find one soon enough, and my very best piano-friend will come back from overseas.

I'm a happy socialiser and don't mind talking about many things. Except TV! - mine exploded many years ago rather loudly with a bright flash. Then I noticed my house was nicer without it so I never replaced it. I get more music done with no tv.


[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
Re: Are you weird?... [Re: Canonie] #1338667
01/01/10 07:28 PM
01/01/10 07:28 PM
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,572
France
L
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member
landorrano  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,572
France
Socialise: the English language has some strange words.

Re: Are you weird?... [Re: sotto voce] #1338668
01/01/10 07:29 PM
01/01/10 07:29 PM
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,453
Land of the never-ending music
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member
ChopinAddict  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,453
Land of the never-ending music
Originally Posted by sotto voce
Everybody is somebody's weirdo. smile

Often alone, never lonely is a credo that's always worked for me.

Steven


That's a good credo.... smile I will make it my own.

I think they gave a name to Asperger's in the 90s. They like to give names to everything these days, like "social phobia" for "shyness"... They have given several names to my weirdness, but the main one remains Asperger's, which is OK because I like to be an aspie... laugh



[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.


Re: Are you weird?... [Re: thumper49] #1338669
01/01/10 07:30 PM
01/01/10 07:30 PM
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,313
Sydney
C
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member
custard apple  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C

Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,313
Sydney
I reckon everyone on this forum is a bit weird. It attracts weird muso types. I’m not into radio pop and I don’t watch TV.
I agree that in France, people like to discuss and debate profound topics e.g. what is there after death? whereas in Sydney people at parties tend to be a bit more superficial.

Re: Are you weird?... [Re: gooddog] #1338671
01/01/10 07:30 PM
01/01/10 07:30 PM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,921
SC Mountains
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member
-Frycek  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,921
SC Mountains
Originally Posted by gooddog
What do you mean?
Originally Posted by -Frycek
Yes, I'm weird. All my friends are here.
I have no life. My day job is incomprehensible to anyone outside pathology.
I think pathology is fascinating. Exactly what do you do?
Quote
I raise palms and cycads. (They don't need much.) I read detective stories and I practice.
I'd love to learn about cycads. They're some of the most primitive plants. Very cool when talking about evolution. I read political thrillers and piano books.

I'm a cytotechnologist.

Just to prove how weird I am, he's a picture of my own little "illegal alien" a caudex of Cycas siamensis "silver" I'm rooting. It came straigt from Thailand. Right now it's on top of the refrigerator keeping warm and has begun to root. Give it about a year and it should leaf out again. (Knock on wood.)
[Linked Image]


Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
Re: Are you weird?... [Re: Horowitzian] #1338675
01/01/10 07:34 PM
01/01/10 07:34 PM
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 204
L
Ludwig van Bilge Offline
Full Member
Ludwig van Bilge  Offline
Full Member
L

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 204
Originally Posted by Horowitzian
Newtonian physics is almost right and much easier to understand for people just beginning.

In principle Newtonian physics isn't even close to right. Newtonian physics says that a force is acting on a falling object. Relativity says that no force acts on a falling body until it hits the deck. Conceptually they couldn't be more different. And are't the fundamental concepts the most important thing to teach in high school? Without the fundamentals you have nothing to build on.

Originally Posted by Horowitzian
...the Bohr model is still being taught at the HS level because it is much easier to understand.

Using that logic we might teach that airplanes fly by magic. It's far easier to understand than fussing with thrust, lift & drag.

Re: Are you weird?... [Re: -Frycek] #1338676
01/01/10 07:35 PM
01/01/10 07:35 PM
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 5,741
Seattle area, WA
gooddog Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
gooddog  Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 5,741
Seattle area, WA
Originally Posted by -Frycek
[quote=gooddog] I'm a cytotechnologist.

But exactly what do you work on? And good luck with the Cycas siamensis!


Best regards,

Deborah
Re: Are you weird?... [Re: -Frycek] #1338677
01/01/10 07:35 PM
01/01/10 07:35 PM
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 794
Toronto
jnod Offline
500 Post Club Member
jnod  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 794
Toronto
Originally Posted by -Frycek
Originally Posted by gooddog
What do you mean?
Originally Posted by -Frycek
Yes, I'm weird. All my friends are here.
I have no life. My day job is incomprehensible to anyone outside pathology.
I think pathology is fascinating. Exactly what do you do?
Quote
I raise palms and cycads. (They don't need much.) I read detective stories and I practice.
I'd love to learn about cycads. They're some of the most primitive plants. Very cool when talking about evolution. I read political thrillers and piano books.

I'm a cytotechnologist.

Just to prove how weird I am, he's a picture of my own little "illegal alien" a caudex of Cycas siamensis "silver" I'm rooting. It came straigt from Thailand. Right now it's on top of the refrigerator keeping warm and has begun to root. Give it about a year and it should leaf out again. (Knock on wood.)
[Linked Image]


That's deeply cool Frycek - it's amazing the things that turn out to be alive.....


Justin
-------
Bach English Suite #5
Scarlatti Sonata K141 . L422
Mozart Sonata K333
Schubert Impromptu opus 90 D899
Schubert Moment Musicaux opus 94 D780
Re: Are you weird?... [Re: gooddog] #1338679
01/01/10 07:37 PM
01/01/10 07:37 PM
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,833
Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Orange Soda King  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,833
Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Except for the science teacher part, I'm the same with you gooddog. But if you're a science teacher, there's quite a different in age between you and me.

I have other hobbies and interests I like to talk about, and although classical piano is easily my primary choice of music to listen to, I listen to some heavy metal and rock.

I get by the best I can.

The worst part is trying to get a girl. Haha! 2hearts

Last edited by Orange Soda King; 01/01/10 07:37 PM.
Re: Are you weird?... [Re: Ludwig van Bilge] #1338680
01/01/10 07:38 PM
01/01/10 07:38 PM
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 794
Toronto
jnod Offline
500 Post Club Member
jnod  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 794
Toronto
Originally Posted by Ludwig van Bilge
Originally Posted by Horowitzian
Newtonian physics is almost right and much easier to understand for people just beginning.

In principle Newtonian physics isn't even close to right. Newtonian physics says that a force is acting on a falling object. Relativity says that no force acts on a falling body until it hits the deck. Conceptually they couldn't be more different. And are't the fundamental concepts the most important thing to teach in high school? Without the fundamentals you have nothing to build on.

Originally Posted by Horowitzian
...the Bohr model is still being taught at the HS level because it is much easier to understand.

Using that logic we might teach that airplanes fly by magic. It's far easier to understand than fussing with thrust, lift & drag.


In principle yes though in practice not necessarily. Newton is close enough to right for much of modern engineering to work for example.


Justin
-------
Bach English Suite #5
Scarlatti Sonata K141 . L422
Mozart Sonata K333
Schubert Impromptu opus 90 D899
Schubert Moment Musicaux opus 94 D780
Re: Are you weird?... [Re: thumper49] #1338687
01/01/10 07:43 PM
01/01/10 07:43 PM
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 298
New Hampshire
foxyw Offline
Full Member
foxyw  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 298
New Hampshire
These days I seem to socialize mostly with people of similar interests. Although very few play an instrument, most enjoy listening to music, science and cycling. Often when I meet new people, however, it's another story. I'm an organic chemist by training and once people find that out they usually say "Oh, I failed chemistry" or "I hate chemistry" so that's not the greatest start to a conversation. I also don't watch tv and don't have children. I used to read the books that Oprah recommended and other popular fiction and that often helped me to find a common ground for conversation at social events.



"Ah, music. A magic beyond all we do here!" J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, 1997.

[Linked Image]
Re: Are you weird?... [Re: Ludwig van Bilge] #1338688
01/01/10 07:43 PM
01/01/10 07:43 PM
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 5,741
Seattle area, WA
gooddog Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
gooddog  Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 5,741
Seattle area, WA
Originally Posted by Ludwig van Bilge
Originally Posted by Horowitzian
...the Bohr model is still being taught at the HS level because it is much easier to understand.

Using that logic we might teach that airplanes fly by magic. It's far easier to understand than fussing with thrust, lift & drag.


That's the beauty of teaching biology. On the high school level, physics and chemistry are by necessity, taught at a fairly low level. (I also teach 9th grade general science and we still use the Bohr model because it is easily understandable.)In contrast, high school level biology is always evolving (pun). We're able to introduce biotechnology, transformation, protein synthesis, protein folding and the rudiments of how antibiotics work. True, it's at a low level, but the kids find it fascinating and relevant and we generally don't have to dilute or bend the truth to gain understanding.


Best regards,

Deborah
Re: Are you weird?... [Re: gooddog] #1338689
01/01/10 07:44 PM
01/01/10 07:44 PM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,921
SC Mountains
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member
-Frycek  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,921
SC Mountains
Originally Posted by gooddog
Originally Posted by -Frycek
[quote=gooddog] I'm a cytotechnologist.

But exactly what do you work on? And good luck with the Cycas siamensis!

A cytotechnlogist prescreens cellular samples for malignant cells and marks them for a pathologist. Our big success story is pap smears but we work on specimens from all body sites.


Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 17 1 2 3 4 16 17

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Craigslist Again!
by UnrightTooner. 03/26/19 06:53 AM
Best site to learn gospel music?
by chongjasmine. 03/26/19 06:35 AM
Piano marvel vs playground sessions?
by chongjasmine. 03/26/19 05:50 AM
Lifting the CA98
by iLogic. 03/26/19 02:58 AM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics191,134
Posts2,811,005
Members92,881
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

 Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers


 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |


copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.2