2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Carey, AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, booms, 6 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jnod
Originally Posted by Ludwig van Bilge
Originally Posted by Horowitzian
Newtonian physics is almost right and much easier to understand for people just beginning.

In principle Newtonian physics isn't even close to right. Newtonian physics says that a force is acting on a falling object. Relativity says that no force acts on a falling body until it hits the deck. Conceptually they couldn't be more different. And are't the fundamental concepts the most important thing to teach in high school? Without the fundamentals you have nothing to build on.

...the Bohr model is still being taught at the HS level because it is much easier to understand.

Using that logic we might teach that airplanes fly by magic. It's far easier to understand than fussing with thrust, lift & drag.

In principle yes though in practice not necessarily. Newton is close enough to right for much of modern engineering to work for example.

Agreed.

Originally Posted by Ludwig van Bilge
Newtonian physics is almost right and much easier to understand for people just beginning.

In principle Newtonian physics isn't even close to right. Newtonian physics says that a force is acting on a falling object. Relativity says that no force acts on a falling body until it hits the deck. Conceptually they couldn't be more different. And are't the fundamental concepts the most important thing to teach in high school? Without the fundamentals you have nothing to build on.

Newtonian physics is the fundamental. Einstein and others had to have a starting place after all.

...the Bohr model is still being taught at the HS level because it is much easier to understand.

Using that logic we might teach that airplanes fly by magic. It's far easier to understand than fussing with thrust, lift & drag.

What does that have to do with the Bohr model vs the quantum mechanical model? Your analogy is absurd.

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
Gooddog Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Reply to -Frycek: Very cool. I used to be able to identify cell types, (healthy or not) and their organ location but the years have taken away that skill. Your job sounds fascinating. Are you in research or diagnosis?

Best regards,

Deborah
One of the college senior chemistry majors where I work remarked to me that after taking quantum mechanics in his senior year, a lot of the chemistry that he had been taught in the previous three years finally made much more sense to him. I went through the same program 25 years ago and feel the same way (although since taking this university job, I realize on a daily basis how much I have forgotten since college and graduate school, yikes!).

"Ah, music. A magic beyond all we do here!" J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, 1997.

[Linked Image]
jnod #1338697 01/01/10 07:50 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member

That's deeply cool Frycek - it's amazing the things that turn out to be alive.....

Yeah, It's ALIVE!!! I felt just like Dr Frankenstein when I saw the first root.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
A cytotechnlogist prescreens cellular samples for malignant cells

Is this prescreening done primarily by morphological analysis, of stained cells under a microscope? Do you (the cytotechs) also do additional tests, such as PCR? Just curious as to how things have evolved...

6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
PCR isn't a test. It's a process for amplifying DNA - yes?

Best regards,

Deborah
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by foxyw
One of the college senior chemistry majors where I work remarked to me that after taking quantum mechanics in his senior year, a lot of the chemistry that he had been taught in the previous three years finally made much more sense to him. I went through the same program 25 years ago and feel the same way (although since taking this university job, I realize on a daily basis how much I have forgotten since college and graduate school, yikes!).

I can say that nowadays quantum mechanics is integrated into gen chem textbooks, and it has really helped me make better sense of things.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Speaking of alive, did you know that the average gram of soil contains more than 10,000 distinct species of bacteria? In fact, its the bacteria that give soil the smell we think of when we think 'dirt'. The bacteria that do this are streptomycetes - we grow them in the lab all the time. It's completely bizarre to open up a petri dish with little colonies growing on agar and suddenly get the feeling you're out for a walk in the forest.

As it happens, most of the antibiotics in clinical use are made by these particular bugs. No one knows why they do it but they do. Also chemotherapeutic drugs, immune suppressants, anti-fungals etc...etc....

Justin
-------
Bach English Suite #5
Scarlatti Sonata K141 . L422
Mozart Sonata K333
Schubert Impromptu opus 90 D899
Schubert Moment Musicaux opus 94 D780
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yes PCR is a way to amplify DNA but it's being increasingly incorporated into diagnosis - can be used to test all kinds of things....

Justin
-------
Bach English Suite #5
Mozart Sonata K333
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Yeah, It's ALIVE!!! I felt just like Dr Frankenstein when I saw the first root.

Does this mean you're going to teach it to sing "Puttin' on the Ritz"?... laugh

jnod #1338711 01/01/10 07:58 PM
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jnod
Yes PCR is a way to amplify DNA but it's being increasingly incorporated into diagnosis - can be used to test all kinds of things....

Really? How? I seem to remember something about using restriction enzymes to cut the DNA to test it for presence or absence of certain nucleotide sequences and using the PCR to make enough DNA to check it out. Am I on the right track?

Best regards,

Deborah
One of these days I'll sit in on some of these chemistry classes like quantum mechanics. The professor who teaches it these days is excellent I hear. In the mean time I am sitting in on a music theory class in which I have learned a lot and had fun too.

"Ah, music. A magic beyond all we do here!" J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, 1997.

[Linked Image]
E
E
What a great thread. I didn't even realise that the Newtonian physics I studied at shcool is now outdated. My day job doesn't require much of this knowledge.

I do feel that my interests are peculiar to a small segment of the population. It takes time to find those people - but in absolute terms - there are enough out there to have enough friends ! And when you meet such a person - it's like meeting a long lost friend.

And it's particularly interesting to have this long lost friend feeling with a person from a different culture, different land and practising a different religion.

Yes - I too feel at times that I'm weird. And it's of great comfort to read the thoughts of other weirdos (albeit similarly weird) in this thread.

I see the youths dressed up in goth, those with body piercings, men with 14 mistresses and counting, politicians who serve their own self interests, religious leaders who dress in a gown and wear a peculiar hat, those who drive around in circles on a karting track as a hobby, a wine lover who only drinks pinot noir and those who play the piano but only the digital, those who play the piano but only the acoustic, those who play the piano but only classical, those who play the piano but only non-classical . . . So I know I'm surrounded my many different weird people pursuing their weird hobbies !!!!

The world is full of weirdos. But in some respects - long may it stay that way !!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Sure that's all accurate. But there are newer procedures that allow you to monitor PCR reactions by, for example, the incorporation of a fluorescently labled nucleotide into ds DNA. There's a gizmo called a 'light cycler' that is used routinely for this kind of thing. Imagine if you had a set of primer pairs each of which recognizes a unique stretch of DNA in a particular pathogenic bacterium. If you have a sick patient and want to know what kind of infection they have, you can use this approach to find out: just to a bunch of PCR reactions on whatever fluid sample is most important: blood, sputum etc... Much faster than growing the bugs out in culture which takes days. Expensive to set up though.

we're a long way from Beethoven here eh?

Justin
-------
Bach English Suite #5
Mozart Sonata K333
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
PCR isn't a test. It's a process for amplifying DNA - yes?

Yes, and as jnod said- it can be diagnostic in certain settings. It is a highly sensitive method of detecting the presence of viral DNA in specimens, specifically the DNA of the strains of viruses that cause cervical cancer.

Hm, seems we have strayed far from piano- but it's kind of fun. smile

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by foxyw
One of these days I'll sit in on some of these chemistry classes like quantum mechanics. The professor who teaches it these days is excellent I hear. In the mean time I am sitting in on a music theory class in which I have learned a lot and had fun too.

Do! I love chemistry (as if you can't tell! laugh ), and I'm having more fun with it now than ever before. Lab is probably my favorite, though lecture isn't bad if the prof is good. smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Great book for chemistry weirdos" "Uncle Tungten" by Oliver Sacks.

Justin
-------
Bach English Suite #5
Mozart Sonata K333
jnod #1338721 01/01/10 08:06 PM
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
To Jnod: I'm drooling. We high school teachers find it hard to keep up with the new stuff because they burden us with all the pedogological nonsense. I'd love to see this.

Best regards,

Deborah
jnod #1338723 01/01/10 08:07 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Hehe, I'll check that out. Thanks!

Just to show you how geeky I am, my favorite lab involved dissolving copper turnings in concentrated nitric acid. The enormous clouds of nitrogen dioxide were lovely, just lovely!*

*As long as they remain in the fumehood of course!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I like science too, in particularly biology. How I would like to work with a microscope!
And I love astronomy too.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission