2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
86 members (brdwyguy, Anglagard44, ambrozy, Bluthendorfer, BrokenSymmetry, BluMunk, anotherscott, anotherpianoplayer, 17 invisible), 648 guests, and 631 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 285 of 423 1 2 283 284 285 286 287 422 423
Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin
-Frycek #1337809 12/31/09 11:37 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by -Frycek
Except George was in her 60's in that photograph. When Chopin knew her she looked more like that portrait over Cher. I agree Kathy Najimi looks like she'd make an excellent George. (BTW I college I lived in the Language House. My minor was French. I was a plumpish dark brunette who was always scribbling and often worn riding boots and one of my Dad's old army fatigue jackets. Inevitably the French students nicknamed me George Sand. The nickname stuck through grad school.)

While you're quite right that the photograph of Dupin, has her at 60 (the photo is from 1864), the woman Chopin, knew, certainly, was not quite as alluring as the above painting in question shows. She was 33 when Chopin met her and their relationship lasted until 1847. If I knew how to add photos here, I could post a photograph taken of her in 1846 (which is much more realistic than the resemblance rendered in the painting).

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
stores #1337825 12/31/09 12:11 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by tosser
Ragnhilde, what a very sensitive post. Thank you for sharing with us. Even at the darkest times some softening hope sometimes shines out. The church where Chopin's heart is enshrined was destroyed during the bombing of Warsaw. It was a German officer who found the intact urn containing Chopin's heart in the rubble. The Nazi's hated Chopin as an icon of Polish patriotism and had blown up his statue. The urn containing his heart would have been quite a prize for the Reich, but the officer was a music lover and quietly, secretly found a Polish priest and gave him the urn for safekeeping.

I hate to break it to you, but this story is quite a lot of romanticised myth. In reality, just after the outbreak of the Warsaw Uprising, the urn containing Chopin's heart was moved to the town of Milanowek, where it was kept between September 1944 and October 1945. The Church of the Holy Cross (where Chopin's heart resides), though badly damaged during the Uprising, was not obliterated to rubble by the Germans until 1945.

I hope you also intend to breat the news to the director of Poland's National Fryderyk Chopin Institute. Chopin's Heart

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
stores #1337827 12/31/09 12:14 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Except George was in her 60's in that photograph. When Chopin knew her she looked more like that portrait over Cher. I agree Kathy Najimi looks like she'd make an excellent George. (BTW I college I lived in the Language House. My minor was French. I was a plumpish dark brunette who was always scribbling and often worn riding boots and one of my Dad's old army fatigue jackets. Inevitably the French students nicknamed me George Sand. The nickname stuck through grad school.)

While you're quite right that the photograph of Dupin, has her at 60 (the photo is from 1864), the woman Chopin, knew, certainly, was not quite as alluring as the above painting in question shows. She was 33 when Chopin met her and their relationship lasted until 1847. If I knew how to add photos here, I could post a photograph taken of her in 1846 (which is much more realistic than the resemblance rendered in the painting).

We are all of us also quite aware of how George Sand looked during her lifetime. I doubt there exists a likeness of her by pen, pencil, paint or camera which hasn't been posted here at some point. Her appearence has been meowed over most unkindly at great lenght and with great relish.

I do hope you intend your contributions to extend beyond nitpicking over years old posts. You may discover you've decided to patronize some formidable adversaries.

[Linked Image]
-Frycek #1337886 12/31/09 01:29 PM
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Dear tosser:

Welcome. thumb

Yes, Frycek is quite correct in that our thread has just about covered everything there is to cover about Chopin, his music, his life, etc. And we certainly do not expect nor could you possibly read over all the posts written here. It would take up too much of your practice time at the piano.

But we are always open to differences of opinions should you ever find yourself disagreeing with anything stated here.

We are honored to have the world's foremost expert on all that is Chopin with us, Dr. Jeff Kallberg.

If you have any questions that you think might not have been asked here, please feel free to inquire. You are almost guaranteed a valid response. smile

Happy New Year,
Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
-Frycek #1338096 12/31/09 06:46 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Ragnhilde, what a very sensitive post. Thank you for sharing with us. Even at the darkest times some softening hope sometimes shines out. The church where Chopin's heart is enshrined was destroyed during the bombing of Warsaw. It was a German officer who found the intact urn containing Chopin's heart in the rubble. The Nazi's hated Chopin as an icon of Polish patriotism and had blown up his statue. The urn containing his heart would have been quite a prize for the Reich, but the officer was a music lover and quietly, secretly found a Polish priest and gave him the urn for safekeeping.

I hate to break it to you, but this story is quite a lot of romanticised myth. In reality, just after the outbreak of the Warsaw Uprising, the urn containing Chopin's heart was moved to the town of Milanowek, where it was kept between September 1944 and October 1945. The Church of the Holy Cross (where Chopin's heart resides), though badly damaged during the Uprising, was not obliterated to rubble by the Germans until 1945.

I hope you also intend to breat the news to the director of Poland's National Fryderyk Chopin Institute. Chopin's Heart

My point was that the setting of your story is quite wrong. The Church was NOT (it's historical fact, which anyone can look up) destroyed until 1945, so General von dem Bach, would not have found the urn amidst a pile of rubble. The Church WAS (as I pointed out and the article you've linked supports this) badly damaged at the beginning of the Warsaw Uprising in August 1944 and the urn was rescued in September and taken to Milanowek.
I'm not trying to upset you or undermine your "authoritative" take on things (haha). I'm just stating some facts, since, quite often, details (which can be very important), get lost amongst the passing on of a story and that is how we end up with overly-romanticised tales concerning historical facts.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

-Frycek #1338101 12/31/09 06:59 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

We are all of us also quite aware of how George Sand looked during her lifetime. I doubt there exists a likeness of her by pen, pencil, paint or camera which hasn't been posted here at some point. Her appearence has been meowed over most unkindly at great lenght and with great relish.

I do hope you intend your contributions to extend beyond nitpicking over years old posts. You may discover you've decided to patronize some formidable adversaries.

Once again, I'm simply pointing out that Chopin, would not have known a Dupin, who matched the resemblance found in the painting posted. Once again, details matter, because upon viewing said painting one could ALMOST say "well, I CAN sort of see what he'd have seen in her" (haha), when, in reality, the painting is of a younger Sand, than Chopin would have met, and certainly, a more romanticised image of her altogether.
I'm not at all nitpicking...I'm simply inserting some detail. The attitude that says "you may discover you've decided to patronize some formidable adversaries", I think, says a great deal. I learned quite some time ago that it's best to never challenge those who deem themselves "experts"...it's a losing battle and not worth the time. That said, as I stated, I'm not "challenging" anyone and find it odd that you would take it as such, but I do think I understand why you found it so.

♪ ≠ $

loveschopintoomuch #1338105 12/31/09 07:09 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by loveschopintoomuch
Dear tosser:

Welcome. thumb

Yes, Frycek is quite correct in that our thread has just about covered everything there is to cover about Chopin, his music, his life, etc. And we certainly do not expect nor could you possibly read over all the posts written here. It would take up too much of your practice time at the piano.

But we are always open to differences of opinions should you ever find yourself disagreeing with anything stated here.

We are honored to have the world's foremost expert on all that is Chopin with us, Dr. Jeff Kallberg.

If you have any questions that you think might not have been asked here, please feel free to inquire. You are almost guaranteed a valid response. smile

Happy New Year,
Kathleen

Yes, I've seen that there is quite a lot to be read here. Fantastic. I'll have a great time poring over it when I can. I do know who Mr. Kallberg, is and it's great to know that he's around. I've not yet read his book, but hope to in the future at some point.
Happy New Year to you as well.

♪ ≠ $

stores #1338115 12/31/09 07:19 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I thought that name, "Tosser," sounded a little familiar, though it hasn't entered the vernacular in America. A look-up is revealing.

I predict a short future for this "Junior Member."

Clef

stores #1338120 12/31/09 07:24 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I hate to break it to you, but this story is quite a lot of romanticised myth.

I'm perfectly willing to be instructed in the historical facts of the matter as even those Poles who should be most reliable often willingly let fact take a back seat to a good story when it comes to Chopin. Forgive me, though if I find the manner of your introduction of the topic snide, patronizing and disrepectful.

[Linked Image]
Jeff Clef #1338134 12/31/09 07:35 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Has this photo already been posted here? It has been discussed in another thread, but I cannot find it here... It is so beautiful...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

ChopinAddict #1338154 12/31/09 08:08 PM
S
S
I thought i'd add this here, a deal over at Amazon for the 99 most Essential Chopin for a $1.99. I wasn't sure where else to post it. It may be of use to someone.

Essential Chopin

[Linked Image]
Elene #1338156 12/31/09 08:13 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Elene
Yes, it does seem like "funeral march" is a genre in itself.

But I think a composer should be able to call a piece anything he or she wishes.

Of course, when you send a piece, or a poem, or a story, or whatever bit of art out into the world, you have little or no control over its ultimate destiny, and if it touches people they will often mess with it in some way.

Elene

You are so right.... frown

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

ChopinAddict #1338159 12/31/09 08:17 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Right way round
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Jeff Clef #1338206 12/31/09 10:49 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jeff Clef
I thought that name, "Tosser," sounded a little familiar, though it hasn't entered the vernacular in America. A look-up is revealing.

What the heck is that supposed to mean? Why would my future be any shorter than anyone elses? I've simply made a few factual statements...if you don't like them don't read them...sorry. God, there's some incredibly touchy people here.

♪ ≠ $

stores #1338211 12/31/09 11:00 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

What the heck is that supposed to mean?

He probably meant you would become "full member" soon.

-Frycek #1338212 12/31/09 11:01 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I hate to break it to you, but this story is quite a lot of romanticised myth.

I'm perfectly willing to be instructed in the historical facts of the matter as even those Poles who should be most reliable often willingly let fact take a back seat to a good story when it comes to Chopin. Forgive me, though if I find the manner of your introduction of the topic snide, patronizing and disrepectful.

No forgiveness needed. I'm not quite sure what you found snide, patronizing or disrespectful. The intent of my opening line, was not personally directed. It's a simple statement. I tend not to look upon myself with TOO great a regard or put TOO much stock into that which I know, since, certainly, there are many, many others with MUCH more knowledge than I, and by so doing I don't feel "attacked" whenever someone sets forth a different version of that which I've held to be true.
Happy New Year to you!

♪ ≠ $

LisztAddict #1338213 12/31/09 11:03 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LisztAddict

What the heck is that supposed to mean?

He probably meant you would become "full member" soon.

Oh, I see. Ok then.

♪ ≠ $

-Frycek #1338216 12/31/09 11:13 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Right way round
[Linked Image]

I've read some varying reports on this image. It's a daguerreotype, yes? Do you know by how many years it precedes the more famous 1849 daguerreotype? The reason I ask is that I've read there were only a few years between the images and, if so, then Chopin's health, clearly, affected his appearance greatly, in a rather short period of time.

♪ ≠ $

stores #1338226 12/31/09 11:37 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Regarding Op. 10 No. 3, perhaps one of you can enlighten me regarding a few questions I have. Chopin's original tempo indication (surprising to most) for the etude is "Vivace". He later added "ma non troppo". As well, the autograph manuscript, bears no "forte/fortissimo" or "doppio movimento" indications from bar 46 (45 depending on the edition) and there is no "poco piu animato" indication at bar 21. All of the first and early editions I've seen include these indications as well as "Lento" replacing "Vivace". Were these additions/alterations made by the composer , or were they the work of editors/publishers (as is the argument of at least one Chopin scholar).

♪ ≠ $

stores #1338241 01/01/10 12:25 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
ShchenshleeVAYgo noVAYgo ROkoo, LA and everybody. Sort of.

Bonne nouvelle année à tout le monde. (Ah, that was so much easier!)

Jeff, thanks for your generous posting and linking about Op. 35. I've downloaded your 2001 article but haven't read much of it yet. Also hunted down clips of the march from La Gazza Ladra. My idea of holiday fun-- good grief. (We were out earlier today and right now it's so nice to be home!) More later.

ChopinAddict, we've seen that daguerrotype before, but your copy gives a somewhat clearer view of it. My understanding was that nobody is absolutely sure whether it was Chopin or not-- if I remember the previous discussion correctly. 1846 or thereabouts, supposedly? It seems like it ought to be Chopin.

I think I've seen every extant portrait of Mme Sand, but perhaps I've missed something, because I don't remember an 1846 photo of her. Enlightenment? I'd love to see it. (I haven't personally meowed over her appearance!)

Tosser, for thoughts on the tempo of 10/3, you could check with Angela Lear, who has a definite opinion about it and plays it faster than most people. She'd probably be happy to discuss it with you.

We'd be happy to discuss things with you, too, but frankly, statements like
'I'm not trying to upset you or undermine your "authoritative" take on things (haha)' set my teeth on edge, as well as other people's, and we have certainly gotten off to a bad start. We do have extremely knowledgeable people here, and they deserve respect.

I think what Jeff Clef was trying to express is that if you choose a screen name that is an insulting sexual reference in much of the English-speaking world, it does not bode well for you. Perhaps you might like to rethink it.

Respectfully,

Elene

Page 285 of 423 1 2 283 284 285 286 287 422 423

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2021 Free Newsletter for piano lovers is here now...
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Jazz piano in a 7-piece vintage band
by anotherpianoplayer - 01/25/21 02:48 PM
Suzuki SS-90 black key issue
by Dummett70 - 01/25/21 01:59 PM
Has anyone used Sorbothane to cushion piano?
by alpha2735 - 01/25/21 12:49 PM
Most popular DP brand with posters?
by Bruce In Philly - 01/25/21 12:37 PM
A few noob notation/composing software questions
by CyberGene - 01/25/21 12:35 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,545
Posts3,051,362
Members100,208
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission