2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
63 members (Canonbury, AndyP, brennbaer, accordeur, Abdol, 36251, 14 invisible), 655 guests, and 515 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Will I be good if I work hard?
I'll be Bach #1337920 12/31/09 02:09 PM
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
You've made yourself very clear.

Steven

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
I'll be Bach #1337932 12/31/09 02:34 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by I'll be Bach
Originally Posted by John Frank
And here we arrive at another occasion on Piano forums where the "adults" pat the "toddlers" on the head, shake their ever so superior heads knowingly and say...someday, you too MAY understand, what I have come to know.

smile

Well, in spite of your weak, flimsy attempt at sarcasm - a very typical "toddler" reaction to words of wisdom imparted by "adults" - you're absolutely correct. That's exactly what is being communicated here and the approach with which it is being so communicated - and you should remember this always and pace yourself accordingly laugh

Actually, I was just happy to see that he realized that patience was just as important as the consistency of hard work, and was trying to congratulate him for his "smarts" and to encourage his efforts.

What have you offered in this regard?

JF

Telling someone over the internet that someday they may have the introspective abilities to see the nuances of a particular piece that makes it difficult ... can come off sounding more than a bit conceited.

Or it can sound helpful - advising them against impatience and alerting them to the hard, cold fact that such "introspective abilities" are often achieved only after much time and practice - both of which require patience. Those less sensitive and more rational would, ot at least should, appreciate such well-intentioned advice, especially among the young.

JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
I'll be Bach #1337940 12/31/09 02:40 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

And the belief that this forum doesn't have an air of superiority from some posters is really a bit funny.

Not only an air but a reality also - there is a great deal of superiority here - superiority of knowledge, and experience, and intelligence, and dedication, and motivation, and ...

One should not fear and ridicule it, but rather embrace it and profit from it.

Oops - more condecension to toddlers shocked

JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

I'll be Bach #1337941 12/31/09 02:42 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Or it may simply be someone saying...once you smarten up you will know just how difficult it is to do what I do.

This may just be a simple statement of fact - and how one handles it may depend on one's maturity level...

JF

TrapperJohn #1338038 12/31/09 05:39 PM
ddh Offline
Not only an air but a reality also - there is a great deal of superiority here - superiority of knowledge, and experience, and intelligence, and dedication, and motivation, and ...

JF

Thank You John Frank; who knew You held me in such high esteem ? grin

Cheers

Daniel (Pramberger JP 208B)
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
ddh #1338088 12/31/09 06:38 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ddh

JF

Thank You John Frank; who knew You held me in such high esteem ? grin

Cheers

grin

I didn't know - until now. Your superiority is only exceeded by your humility laugh

JF

Teodor #1338117 12/31/09 07:22 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Teodor

I do see it at a higher level, I just refuse to worship the work of a man.... And as some suggested, I was talking about hitting the right notes at the right time for those pieces as a first goal.

The technical part of playing the piano or any piece is just one aspect. The musical aspect is at least as difficult, probably much more so. It is not just a question of following the composer's dynamics and phrasing. It's hard to put a % on how much the musical part is, but I think it's at least 50%.

If you listen to a great pianist playing a piece that's considered technically relatively easy, hopefully one hear this is the case:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gszYc5aUCQY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3FzO72Vt8A

Last edited by pianoloverus; 12/31/09 07:22 PM.
Teodor #1338178 12/31/09 09:37 PM
I played the organ for over twenty years before I took up piano seriously. And I was so impatient to play difficult pieces I loved. I listened to them and believed I could do them because I had so much previous experience in performing. Until I sat down at the piano to do it myself!

While I could sight read my pieces and play the notes and execute all the dynamic markings as written - the delicate touch and subtle dynamics, the musicality and clarity of expression, the ability to create a mood - these were just not there in the way I wanted them to be. That takes much more experience with the piano than I have... it's going to take years of practice and listening and experimenting until I develop the ability to interpret a piece in a way that pleases me. So while yes... I can technically play pieces... I have still such a long way to go to REALLY play them.

Aiming high is great - and gives you something to work toward. I do that myself! But I think it's recognising that this is a long long journey... and hard work is part of what will get you there. But you also need the ability to appreciate that there is more to music than just being able to play it. And I think all anyone was trying to say is that in the beginning it's not always possible to appreciate just how hard that is!

Good luck! And keep playing and setting goals for yourself.

Last edited by LimeFriday; 12/31/09 09:39 PM.
Teodor #1338185 12/31/09 10:03 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Teodor
... I never approach anything saying "ОMG this will be so hard... ok here goes nothing" smile ... I need to learn patience if I ever want to get somewhere.

I agree with you on that... there are some things that are simply beyond a person's current level, and they should be left until such time that the player has the ability to begin tackling a piece. I played as a kid, for about 7-8 years, and did reasonably well, then didn't seriously get back into it until a few years ago... even then there have been a few distractions. But, as someone earlier in this thread said, "rhythm and (finger dexterity) were wired into me back then..." and that helped alot with where I am now. But, I've had to humble myself and step way back from where I left off as an 18 year old.

Now, with patience and perseverence, I've surprised myself by being able to pick up some pieces that I have never played, and by looking at would think they are too difficult, and then a week later, I've putting the final touches on them and memorizing them for repertoire.

So, I think you need to pay attention to foundations: etudes, scales, chord recognition, fingerings, rhythm exercises. Then, start playing pieces that you can acheive mastery of in a week or two of two-three hours a day of practice. Practice each hand to master the nuances of the fingerings so that when you put it together you can do it smoothly and concentrate on expression and dynamics. Then commit the pieces to memory and play them with the emphasis on expression, not on hitting the notes. This is when the jump to the next level happens because you have put the technical and expressive accomplishments of that particular piece into your arsenal of abilities... and you are that much further down the line to tackling the next more advanced piece.

Cary Rogers, PharmD
San Francisco, CA
1887 Knabe 6'4" (Rebuilt)
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A hauntingly beutiful piece you probably never heard
by pianoloverus - 12/04/20 02:29 PM
Them Donners and Lagrimas
by jeffcat - 12/04/20 02:21 PM
Ave Maria by Schubert
by ContentPiano - 12/04/20 02:17 PM
Roland LX706 Review
by Colin Miles - 12/04/20 06:41 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,259
Posts3,030,504
Members99,480
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission