2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, 14 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by jotur
Originally Posted by Debussy20
Anyone remember some ridiculous lady whose name in Russian meant Dark Eyes? Trying to sell some music product over and over and over and over?

Fun stuff.

Was that the one trying to sell SoftMozart in the teachers forum? That's when I first came on.

Cathy

Yep, good times... I also think that there was some hate messages on the SoftMozart forums that basically wanted an all our war between the forums or somethign like that. Gotta love the internet.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Horowitzian

Hmmmm...do I hear a can opener? grin

I'm stifling an urge. smile

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Well, I'll 'fess up. I was roped in by the softmozart stuff smile I'm much less naive now.

(I'll also 'fess up to being the only person my age I know who will admit to getting signatures in favor of the Vietnam war when I was college. I'm much less naive now.) (oh - what was that sound? a can opener?)

DPP - lol

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jotur
Well, I'll 'fess up. I was roped in by the softmozart stuff smile I'm much less naive now.

It's still around: Soft Mozart
Is is snake oil? Was "Dark Eyes" this Valeri Koukhtiev?
(Frycek loves a good scandal.)

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
I owe so much to Piano World and to the people who have posted and continue to post here. I have been informed, inspired, awed, amused, entertained, enthralled, moved, motivated and most important -- supported.

Like many of us, I was an "off and on" again pianist. Mostly "off," I'm afraid. Lack of patience and easily frustrated, the piano was an instrument of torture for me for many years. But reading of the experiences of people here, I discovered I was not alone. AND I found so much encouragement that I finally, and with long-lost confidence, sat down on that bench and began to realize that I did possess the ability to play quite well, if I just didn't quit. My mantra became "Don't give up!"

I want to thank each and every one of you and Frank, a very special debt of gratitude for creating this amazing place. It is my life-line. heart

My hopes for a happy and healthy New Year to all,
Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Damon
Originally Posted by Horowitzian

Hmmmm...do I hear a can opener? grin

I'm stifling an urge. smile

smile

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
WAsn't it Olenka?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Debussy20
WAsn't it Olenka?

She had several incarnations as lenkaolenka, ochy_cherniye, etc....

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
I've been around here since before this incarnation of PW, and there are both constants and variables that reinforce "plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."

There were a few passionate, informed pianists who wrote intelligently and articulately about music they knew a great deal about. I miss them and their posts. That characteristic, however, has not changed, even though the particular individuals have long since disappeared. They have been replaced by others, equally passionate, equally articulate and equally well-informed. This is one reason I keep coming back here.

There have also come and gone those who knew little but who wrote, unashamedly, a lot about what they didn't know. That characteristic seems ever present.

There always have been - and undoubtedly always will be - those enthusiastic students in their first year of lessons - or their first year of teaching themselves - who will ask how long it will take them to master "La Campanella, if I start right now, since I've been already been playing the piano for six months."

There also have been a number of genuinely inquisitive pianists, not yet well-trained or advanced in classical music, who have come (and gone) but who, during their short appearances here, asked questions that showed a growing love of music and a willingness to learn from others. I often wonder what has happened to some of them and hope that their musical interests continue to grow.

Those of us who have long been "permanent residents" of this forum owe so much, I believe, to Frank. Without his efforts and interest, some of us would be vox clamans in deserto or as a piano without a soundboard!

Thank you, Frank! Happy New Year to you and to all here.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by loveschopintoomuch
I owe so much to Piano World and to the people who have posted and continue to post here. I have been informed, inspired, awed, amused, entertained, enthralled, moved, motivated and most important -- supported.

Like many of us, I was an "off and on" again pianist. Mostly "off," I'm afraid. Lack of patience and easily frustrated, the piano was an instrument of torture for me for many years. But reading of the experiences of people here, I discovered I was not alone. AND I found so much encouragement that I finally, and with long-lost confidence, sat down on that bench and began to realize that I did possess the ability to play quite well, if I just didn't quit. My mantra became "Don't give up!"

I want to thank each and every one of you and Frank, a very special debt of gratitude for creating this amazing place. It is my life-line. heart

My hopes for a happy and healthy New Year to all,
Kathleen

Frédéric Chopin was a great composer to start a thread on.

Regular posters in ABF ran with it.

Another good idea would be Mozart, Beethoven or Schumann.

Understandably though, Chopin seems to touch a lot of people.

Don't let that stop you from looking at other composers though.

Last edited by Phlebas; 12/31/09 07:42 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Of all the forums I participate in, including my own (a telemark ski forum) I would say this is about the best run and most enjoyable. I find it informative with just the right amount of "drama" to keep things interesting. For me, not being a pro and not being in a position to try public playing this has also been a great opportunity to play for other folks of like interest and get some really good positive feedback.

Cheers to Frank and all the moderators and to all the folks on the forum.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
BruceD, your beautiful post expresses how I feel about PW perfectly. thumb

I joined PW sometime after the Coffee Room was dismantled and the infamous Larry was banned... quite frankly, I'm rather glad I missed the worst of those fireworks.

The combined P$$ threads/brouhahas were among the most controversial and, for me, the most aggravating aspects of PW. Though I guess I must've enjoyed it on some level if I kept going back to the threads and adding my 2 cents' worth. Maybe it was worth it if the threads made at least a few people reluctant to hand over (and subsequently lose) their $$ to ol' TW.

On the other hand, the P$$ threads spawned the absolutely delightful "First Act" parody thread, which receives my nomination for Funniest PW Thread Ever. Schumann's legendary Bosie-in-a-hotel-room thread also receives a nod for Best Thread Ever.

As entertaining as threads like those are, what keeps me coming back to PW is AB forum. The community there is wonderful and supportive beyond belief. AB forum led me to discover Einaudi, David Nevue, and Tiersen... and I can't imagine my piano life without their music. The recitals inspired me to start recording my music and sharing it with other people, and that has added a rich dimension to my musical life and motivated me to improve my playing more.

Thank you, Frank! heart

Forgive my ignorance, but what do these mean?
- r.m.m.p.
- TW
- P$$

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
MacMacMac :

P$$ was, at the time, a thinly disguised cover - although all here knew what the code stood for - for a particular individual's piano sales business. The owner's initials were TW, and he dealt in piano sales in what was agreed to be a less than forthright way.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac:

I wasn't familiar with r.m.m.p myself. A search (google, not the crippled non-user friendly search engine included on this site comes up with: https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...1/topic/004824/Number/0/site_id/1#import

I'll leave the other ones vague like Bruce did.

Rich

Last edited by DragonPianoPlayer; 01/01/10 02:20 PM.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I found PW while inquiring about the age of a piano probably back around 2002. It wasn’t until a year later that I received an email from our host informing me that a piano forum existed. I remember thinking what the heck could a “piano forum” be??!!

My Mom had been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer just days after I signed up to PW. I put PW aside for learning about pancreatic cancer and hospice. Later on I would realize that Frank Baxter’s email was a gift.

As horrendous as the coffee room could be there were a lot of good times; learning to understand people’s angle on politics, history and life in general. It was like having a stage set before me every evening and I basically sat in the audience. Besides listening to the rant of members in the CR, I became engrossed in those who shared their musical knowledge, what the techs shared about pianos and understanding the excitement of someone acquiring a new piano.

I ventured into unknown territory when the first M&H piano tour took place in May 2004 by meeting up with others whom I had met on PW. I was unfamiliar with having piano friends. I remember returning home after the tour and feeling like a new world had opened for me.

I befriended locals like Beelady and Jeanne W. Parties and events were started and our group grew; A441, Axtremus, Bernard, KathyK and their family members. Then my tech, Larry Buck got involved and a whole new venue of gatherings took place at his shop. The group continued to grow; John Citron, Lilylady, and many others.

I remember telling John at one point that I had to stay away from the Pianist Forum as anytime someone praised a new piece they were learning, I just had to find the music so I could learn it. I had lost the desire to play classical music in my early teens and was seeking it once again with a passion I never knew existed.

From PW, I learned about the Frederick Historic Collection in Ashburnham, MA and became hooked in the appreciation of vintage instruments, the spring/fall concerts and the friendship of Pat & Mike Frederick.

Without my Moms encouragement and my Dad paying for my lessons in my early years, I wouldn’t be a part of this community or know anything about it. Even though I seldom post, I will never loose sight of PianoWorld and all the enjoyment it has brought and continues to bring into my life.

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
I "discovered" PW just as the infamous Larry was at his climax of insults and anger. He even ruffled my feathers a few times too. I missed the CR by a few months I think. I'm sure I could have put my few cents in there if I had been around. smile I was piano hunting and asked a few brief questions in the forum I had just discovered. After that it's been history in the making. smile I even got in trouble at work for posting too much in the forums!

Overall I to have learned a ton of stuff here, and without the PW community I never would have met some really great people such as TerryTunes, LilyLady, BeeLady, Jeannew, Frank of course, and many others. I've been introduced to the Frederick Collection, which has become a big part of my life and to which I contribute as much as I can in time and energy. All of these people have been a great influence and support for me as I've gone through the good and bad times.

I haven't been around here as much as I used to, but I've been really busy with practicing again since I've been accepted into the music program at UMASS-Lowell. I still have a lot of work to do to get where I want to be, but it's been a fun ride as ever. I promise to poke in more than once a month going forward. smile

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I like PW because I learn interesting things, I can ask questions, I can try to help others if I have the answer and because I met other weirdos like me. smile

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

All I can say is I wished I'd found PW years earlier. In the short time I've been a member I've been inspired over and over again reading posts - and it has given me even more excitement and joy in my own music.

B
B
I've been around here since late '06. I don't post very much but I read regularly. I think out of all the threads I've read this is one of my favorites.

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/19695/1.html

Fathertopianist is a very talented story teller. I'd love to have had the whole story in a word or pdf document. It was so entertaining and brought some happiness to me during a troubled time in my life.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission