2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 11 invisible), 1,801 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
OP Offline
R
I would like to start a thread about left hand accompaniment patterns. This is to accompany playing melody/improvisation in the right hand.

There is a proliferation of online "teachers" who will sell you a collection of patterns for $20 or more. You may get 15 patterns or so and then they want you to buy more. But usually, these are for accompanying a singer and not for playing a song on piano. I just wasted $20 an hour ago purchasing one such program.

I wish for this thread to be a free resource for solo piano pattern playing. I did a search on this forum and did not find a thread dedicated to pattern playing.

I am looking forward to contributors giving their ideas. Thanks.

B
B
Which program did you spend the $20 on? It's OK to say. We've all wasted a lot of money on various "methods".

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Off the top of my head (this is by no means an exhaustive list):

-block chords in root or inversions, played in various rhythms (on beat and/or syncopated)
-open chords (5ths or 6ths) played blocked or alternating
-open arpeggios (root, 5th, 3rd) played going up and down, or R5353, R35R, etc. - a favorite of Chopin
-close position Alberti Bass
-Root held down while playing 5th or 3rd in a rhythmic pattern (usually off-beat)
-octaves either blocked or broken in various rhythmic patterns
-root alone in varying rhythms, legato or staccato
-ostinato or drone
-counter-melody
-imitation of RH
-parallel motion with RH, usually in 3rds and 6ths
-octaves with 5ths in middle, blocked or broken

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
R
OP Offline
R
David Sprunger. Waste of money!

M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
This s what I collected on this a few months ago, some from me, but mostly from others on AF:

1) Play the C major chord in the LH on every count (4 times), or variations thereof (once for the whole measure, or even roll the chords, like C E G E, or C followed by (E G) together three times, etc.).

2) Play a ballad style: on 1/8th notes, counting 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &: C G E G E G E G.

3) Play Alberti Bass style.

4) If the chord changes every 2 beats, plunk out that low root on beat 1. For beat 2, bring your left hand up to a higher two note chord consisting of 3 and 7. Then, repeat process for beats 3 and 4

5) Alternate inversions on the beat. Example, CEG, move lower GEC, back up CEG, lower GEC, etc. Lots of variations possible.

6) Oompah. C, EG, C, EG.

7) Arpeggios at various speeds. C, E, G, E quarter notes. CE, GE, CE, GE. (eighth) CEGE, CEGE, CEGE, CEGE. (sixteenth)

8) A woman at my church did this particularly smoothly: C, C octave, above that G, E, C, Repeat.

9) boogie. C4, C5, E4, C5, G4, C5, C4. with a dotted rhythm.

10) root-fifth. C4, CEG4, G3, CEG4, C4, etc.

11) I play a walking bass line with the left and play the melody and occasional rootless chords between melody notes with the right. Alternatively, I play 1 & 3 in the left hand and 7 and melody in the right or 1 & 7 in the left and 3 and melody in the right.

12) Play a full arpeggio: In ascending order, C G E G C, then back to G (for 3/4 time).

13) Play low C, then higher C, then C Major.

14) Play low C, then 2nd inversion of C chord, then C major. If in 4/4, play C major twice.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I've got some free sheet music with an interesting left hand pattern ala George Winston. You improvise your own melody on top. Find it at http://www.quiescencemusic.com/xmaspeace1.pdf

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by russcycles
But usually, these are for accompanying a singer and not for playing a song on piano.

I always focus on teaching each left-hand pattern right along with a melody so people can see exactly how they work together.

Samples:

Ballad Pattern: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ9npaNOMmo

Stride/Swing Pattern: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ghTlm80zIg

Chromatic Bass Pattern: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8PJEFl48tU

Shuffle/Boogie-Woogie Pattern: http://www.box.net/shared/os1es4ay2e

Full Demo Videos: http://www.learnpianowithelssa.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=10

R
OP Offline
R
Here's Sprunger's patterns for $20.00. Now you don't need to buy it.
It's not that it has no value. I feel $20 is too much for how little that is provided.

Last edited by BB Player; 12/30/09 07:06 PM. Reason: Copyrighted material deleted
R
OP Offline
R
Thanks for the replies so far.

M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Elssa, without showing a step-by-step demonstration of how these styles work, along with a clear sheet music for the pattern you are using, it woud not be something I want to buy. I have seen my videos, bought many, and most of them skip the critical details. I don't know what you include in your videos, but if it's along the lines of watch how I do it and good luck figuring out how it works, then I don't know... smile

M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I have been waiting for my order to arrive from Sprunger, but I'm already turned off by any method that uses nonstandard notations!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Music_in_Me
Elssa, without showing a step-by-step demonstration of how these styles work, along with a clear sheet music for the pattern you are using, it woud not be something I want to buy. I have seen my videos, bought many, and most of them skip the critical details. I don't know what you include in your videos, but if it's along the lines of watch how I do it and good luck figuring out how it works, then I don't know... smile

My instructional videos demonstrate all techniques very slowly along with detailed captions, and lead sheets are provided for all songs studied, with the videos and in my forum. In addition, all questions regarding the video techniques are answered fully in my forum for continued free instruction. I know how frustrating it can be when instructors play too fast, so the instructional demos are played at a slow pace and the techniques repeated several times. The normal-tempo videos, as above, are posted along with the instructional videos for reference. smile

M
M
good stuff anyone have some other good patterns? for gospel music.. I keep repeating the aspergio (or whatever its called) and I need some diversity.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission