2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (accordeur, akse0435, danno858, AlkansBookcase, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 12 invisible), 1,829 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 50 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 49 50
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KAWAI James
Dave Ferris, I am inclined to agree - the Fatar action is arguably the only thing holding the Nord Stage back.

It is my understanding that Korg has been using Fatar actions for some time now...previous to that, they used various Yamaha actions around the time they were rescued by the latter.

There is supposedly a Fatar semi-weighted action in my Korg PA2XPro that I can't really warm up to at all.

I do remember having a Korg SG-1D Piano in the studio for awhile, and I thought the action was almost identical to my Yamaha KX-88 controller.

You are someone who is in the know here on the forum...what are your thoughts about Fatar actions in general?

Snazzy

Semper Gumby: Always flexible \:^)
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Psalm23
I would be very interested to review the CP5 as compared to my Roland RD700GX. I suspect that Roland will counter next year with a new RD model that incorporates the V technology.

I'm probably going to go for the CP-5, although I am very interested trying the CP-1.

I suspect Roland will offer a similar setup on their new pianos...most likely a combination of sampling and modeling, which seems to me to be the most effective way of producing piano tones.

It reminds me of when synths changed to sample plus synthesis i.e. the Korg DW-6000/8000, Roland's D-50, and Yamaha's SY-77/99 where the most difficult part to make real, the attack portion of a note, was handled by a sample...the body still used synthesis.

Personally I don't really care how they do it, but I think sampling plus modeling is the best choice so far.

Snazzy

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Psalm23

I would be very interested to review the CP5 as compared to my Roland RD700GX. I suspect that Roland will counter next year with a new RD model that incorporates the V technology.

I would say that for sure you will see this. Roland had already replaced the HP-207 (etc.?) with a newer model that uses a combination of sampling and V-Piano technology.

I predict that eventually modeling will replace sampling entirely.

G
G
Originally Posted by Melodialworks Music
I predict that eventually modeling will replace sampling entirely.

Does this mean you'll be coming back to the Pianoteq fold? wink

And yes, the future is not with samples, it's with modeling.

Glenn

Last edited by Glenn NK; 12/29/09 04:12 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The future is with sampling and modeling...Roland will go the same way as Yamaha with this.

Snazzy

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Glenn NK

Does this mean you'll be coming back to the Pianoteq fold?

Glenn -

With V-Piano as a controller, it's on the possibility list.

Lawrence

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by snazzyplayer
The future is with sampling and modeling...Roland will go the same way as Yamaha with this.

Snazzy -

Makes me wonder why I invested in V-Piano.

Lawrence

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Lawrence,

I think it's very hard to get the mid-range as realistic as they would like with modeling only...Pianoteq suffers from the same issues. My friend Zeke has it in his studio, and neither of us like it all that much.

Maybe Roland will go with using both technologies, at least for the near future...didn't someone already mention that the highest end models are using both sampling and modeling? Hey! It was you! wink

I'm hoping the CP-5 isn't going to be much less than the CP-1 in the acoustic piano sound dept...I'd like to have the additional sounds.

Snazzy

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M

Maybe Roland will go with using both technologies, at least for the near future...didn't someone already mention that the highest end models are using both sampling and modeling? Hey! It was you! wink

Snazzy -

Don't quote me on that! I went back to check the source, and it's actually not clear re: the HP-307. Perhaps if I could read Japanese it would be more clear!

Anyway, if the HP-307 is in fact using samples + modeling, I would find that to be very interesting. Wouldn't it be rather an admission of some sort on Roland's part? Anyway, as I said, this needs to be confirmed. I'll track down the link to the original thread . . .

Lawrence

EDIT: here is the thread:
https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...and%20HP-307%20using%20sampling%20o.html

Last edited by Melodialworks Music; 12/30/09 12:35 AM.
D
D
Kawai's "harmonic imaging", is to my understanding, part modeling and part sampling. Would Yamaha's system be similar?

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
But when will someone finally give us SuperNATURAL Harmonic Spatial Acoustic Spectral Component Imaging?

Come on, we're dying out here...

G
G
Lawrence,

I think it's very hard to get the mid-range as realistic as they would like with modeling only...Pianoteq suffers from the same issues. My friend Zeke has it in his studio, and neither of us like it all that much.
Snazzy

Which is interesting because most of us that use Pianoteq exclusively tend to ask for a more realistic deep bass (more of a growling sound at ff and fff), and are quite satisfied with the midrange right up to the top.

The longer the string, the more harmonics it can develop; wire wound strings introduce another complex dimension in partials which requires computing power beyond what many gigging musicians can use practically (notebooks).

The major problem (I've pointed out here and on the Pianoteq forum) is that the learning curve is really quite steep, and without a good knowledge of the physics of a piano, AND a good sound system, adjusting for one's own sound is difficult and quite a bit of a moving target.

Also, the sound engine is regularly being updated; judging it based on versions 2.3 or 3.0 is misleading.

Glenn

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Glenn NK

Which is interesting because most of us that use Pianoteq exclusively tend to ask for a more realistic deep bass (more of a growling sound at ff and fff), and are quite satisfied with the midrange right up to the top.
Glenn

I feel bad for you, Glenn, being stuck with nothing but Pianoteq. It's not something I would even dream of using exclusively....maybe if I couldn't get the CP-300 started in the morning.

What I think is going to happen is this new Yamaha CP-1 is going to knock the spots clear off Pianoteq, and mostly anything else out there.

Pianoteq reminds me of mostly every Roland piano I've played, ever since they dropped the old SAS engine...the mids are synthetic from A below middle C to the D or E above the octave C.

I agree the bass is kind of missing something, but even after Zeke upgraded it to the latest version, it's still not even in the same league as the V-Piano, in my opinion.

Things like pianos sounds are personal and subjective, right?

Well, personally and subjectively, I think Pianoteq is okay to use if you have a low or medium priced piano and want to add something to make it sound better, or if you're one that likes to tinker around, instead of playing.

Other than that, I wouldn't waste my money on it...seriously.

Snazzy

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by dewster
But when will someone finally give us SuperNATURAL Harmonic Spatial Acoustic Spectral Component Imaging?

Oooooooooh. I have GAS for SHSAPCI!!! (Although it does sound like Japanese massage).

Lawrence

Last edited by Melodialworks Music; 12/30/09 09:26 AM.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
OK. I agree that both Pianoteq and V-Piano are lacking in the mid range. (V-Piano more so than Pianoteq). I also agree that it is because they are both modeled instruments.

My question is why?

After all, it's just numbers and real time computations isn't it? Why can't they get the mid range right? Using pure modeling?

Lawrence

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Melodialworks Music
OK. I agree that both Pianoteq and V-Piano are lacking in the mid range. (V-Piano more so than Pianoteq). I also agree that it is because they are both modeled instruments.

My question is why?

After all, it's just numbers and real time computations isn't it? Why can't they get the mid range right? Using pure modeling?

Every day I wake up and thank the lord that I'm not a member of the team that writes the PT software. They have the toughest audience in the world.

I'm not saying that you are doing this Lawrence, but I think there is something about people knowing that it is 99% modeled that makes them hyper critical of the PT sound. TruePianos sounds much, much worse to me, but many people give it what I consider to be a huge break in comparison.

Anyway, back to your question, maybe it has something to do with the human ear being most sensitive in the midrange. Or maybe they aren't putting enough into modeling the string longitudinal vibrations. Or maybe there is something slightly out of kilter with the impulse response of the soundboard they convolve with everything else. Maybe it is a slight non-linear thing going on somewhere. Who knows. They are rather tight-lipped about how any of it works (I asked some specific questions in an email a year or so back, the response to which told me they didn't use digital waveguides) - all we can do is speculate about the black box that is PT.

Whatever it's flaws, I would seriously entertain killing in order to get PT inside my DP, even if it never evolved past v3.5.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Hyper-critical is the term for it. I have a V-Piano. I also just traded my GranTouch GT2 against a CVP 405 Clavinova. I have played almost everything out there, in fact owned much of it. We need to understand the distinction between the way a piano PLAYS and the way it SOUNDS. Of course sampled pianos sound like a piano. I mean, get real here folks. It is a recording of a piano! Modeled pianos have yet to be perfected I think we can all agree and yet they are immeasurably...IMMEASURABLY better as musical instruments. The point of an instrument is expression in my view. If we didn't want to express ourselves musically then why bother, just put a CD on and immerse yourself in a decent recording of a Steinway. Expression and musical emotion requires an instrument to be responsive to the touch. I haven't played Pianoteq, only heard some demos. But the V-Piano is in another league to sampled pianos AS AN INSTRUMENT.

All this nonsense about Roland undermining its own V-Piano because the new HP307 appears possibly to be a hybrid is crazy. The V-Piano IS the top of the range, not the HP307. Roland marketing needs to protect the position of the V-Piano and so of course they won't come out with something too soon that has exactly the same sound engine....IT WILL HAPPEN in time though.

The issues with the V-Piano midrange are there, I don't deny that. But it is still the most expressive instrument I have played. Modeled pianos are the future. Sampling is at the limit of development and it will slowly be replaced by modeling. The midrange issues will be solved.

We are all hyper-critical...we should expect this I suppose as most normal people would not be motivated to take part in this forum...normal people have lives and don't get bogged down in mind-numbing details. The very people that say the V-Piano is inadequate would pick a brand new Steinway to death.

Yamaha were obviously caught out by the V-Piano and they have launched what looks like some decent stage pianos but the technology is yesterday's...all covered up with marketing nonsense and acronyms and fancy cryptic abbreviations to distract attention from the fact that it is just another stage piano with four or five sample layers. Yawn.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EssBrace
Hyper-critical is the term for it. I have a V-Piano.

Yamaha were obviously caught out by the V-Piano and they have launched what looks like some decent stage pianos but the technology is yesterday's...all covered up with marketing nonsense and acronyms and fancy cryptic abbreviations to distract attention from the fact that it is just another stage piano with four or five sample layers. Yawn.

Roland were obviously caught out with the introduction of the Avant Grand, as they have nothing to compare with it. As I said, the V-Piano feels like every other high end Roland instrument...the Avant Grand feels nothing like any other digital piano...it is on a whole new level.

The new CP-series is modeling plus sampling, obviously the ideal method till someone manages to get modeling down right...it sure ain't Roland, as we speak, but that may change, although Pianoteq has been whacking away at it longer than the former, and they haven't quite got the right formula either.

Just like the old synthesizers that finally ended up having to augment sampling with synthesis to make realistic acoustic representations...(in fact, Roland were among the first to embrace this concept with their D-50), it is highly likely that modeling instruments may have to take the same path.

The people at Yamaha are no fools...they have had modeling from way back with the VL-1 synth, so they do know a thing or three about it...hence the hybrid CP-1/5/50.

Modeling has a way to go, and may never get there...until that happens, hybrids (sampling + modeling) will rule the roost.

Snazzy

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Snazzy, I think you are grossly overstating the role modeling plays in Yamaha's new CP pianos. The acoustic sound will be sampled, probably with the addition of some modeled elements...pedal sounds or resonance. That's my guess anyway. Your point about the Avant Grand is fair enough but I don't think Roland have been caught out by something they probably have no intention of making themselves. You might expect me to stick to my point, which you don't address...and that is the tonal response of an instrument to velocity change. The Avant Grand is a sampled piano that buzzes but that is not tonal change, albeit I don't doubt it adds to the sensation of playing an acoustic piano.

You have spent a fortune on your Avant Grand. I have spent a slightly smaller fortune on my V-Piano. I am happy to admit my ego needs to justify my choice so I will defend the V-Piano. But I really do think it is a better instrument than any other electronic piano I have played. If anyone's interested, the second best is my Roland RD-1000...modeled Structured Adaptive Synthesis from 1986...expressive and emotional BUT NOTHING LIKE A PIANO. Its lack of piano-ness does not detract at all from its ability as a method of musical expression. That is the point to me...expression, not a quest for an exact sonic replica of a piano pursued with an almost religious zeal. One day we will have what we want, our DPs will SOUND and PLAY just as we might wish but until that day I will choose an instrument that PLAYS the most responsively.

Steve

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Steve,

I have a 20 year old HP-1700 using the same SAS as your RD-1000....yes, I like it a lot...very expressive, especially the electric pianos.

I don't think I'm overstating Yamaha's hybrid modeling plus sampling...it's obviously the right solution to the failings of pure modeling.

I do, however, know what a joy it is to play the Avant Grand, the only digital with soul, in my opinion.

I've had lots of digital pianos, more than I want to admit, but the Avant Grand is far beyond anything I've owned, or anything I've tried, including some quality time on the V-Piano.

The latter has no tactile feedback...nada..it feels like any other digital that uses the same action...it sounds very good, except for the middle, where most people play, but it still is no different than hooking up a quality weighted graded hammer action controller to a PC with Pianoteq...that's old news....really it is.

I have a good suspicion that these new Yamaha's are going to raise the bar for stage pianos. I doubt if they'll impress you enough to get one, but for those of us who were underwhelmed by the V-Piano, they will be worth a look, for sure.

Snazzy

Page 7 of 50 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 49 50

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission