2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 10 invisible), 1,449 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
smileyd Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi, this is my first post on this forum!

I have decided to finally start learning piano but I am on a budget since I am going back to school in a few months. I have to buy a keyboard since I live with somebody who works from home and I can`t make noise.

My two options are buying a Privia PX-720 for $500 from Craigslist, or an Arius YDP-S31 for $800 from a music store. I am inclined towards the Arius since I can finance it at 0% and pay $30 a month. This helps since I don`t have to pay a big chunk of money up front and can save some of my part-time job earnings during school to pay for it.

Also, I really don`t like the look of the Privia, I think it looks really cheap. I know that`s not a good reason, but I don`t think I could get inspired to play on it.

I would appreciate any advice or opinions you have!

P
P
That PX-720 is an older model, but the new Privias x30 series do not look exactly high class either. Instead of looks I would search for feel and sound.

How about that Yamaha P-85 that has the same action (GHS) as that YDP-S31 and costs less? You can get a stand for it as well - do some bargaining. Same category is Casio px-130 with even cheaper than P-85 and you can get the stand and pedals as well. Total cost of 800$ for that YDP-S31 does not sound a sweet deal even if you can pay 30$ per month for it. Probably that's why the high price as the dealer has extra risk in it.

Try them out and listen to them with good headphones as their speakers suck. You can upgrade later the audio.

Whatever you chose if you want to have a "true" piano feel go for weighted keys.

Last edited by Pianisti; 12/30/09 07:33 AM.

Casio Privia PX-130 + VST = quite close to the real thing.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission