2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 6 invisible), 1,935 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
L
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
A sampled or modeled tone generator is not a hammer and string.

A speaker is not a soundboard.

Just so.
I like digitals and they're certainly more practical in the home but it'll be a sad day when the piano becomes extinct.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Little_Blue_Engine
Originally Posted by ChrisA

...the person who wants an acoustic grand piano is someone who has the space for one. Space typically costs MORE then the piano that fill it...
Isn't that the truth.

That is a definite consideration. That was going to be my other "OR" that I forgot to post.

A young, former student of mine moved to NYC, his apartment is a 5th floor walk up. The piano he owns (later model Yamaha C3) is physically impossible to get into his place, so he left it here in LA for the time being. He is a very serious aspiring Jazz pianist. He has a Yamaha Clavinova for the time being, he's miserable but he's studying, practicing and progressing.

G
G
All true. But I wonder if any of this applies to pianos anyway? DPs are not stressing the technical limits of their embedded computers. Rather, the limits are found in the way the sound signals are produced and in the way they're reproduced.

Absolutely - the limits are still technical; the main limits to DPs in the future will be how the sound is transduced to the air and thence to our ears.

At present, there are digitally produced piano sounds on recording media which are difficult if not impossible to discern from an acoustic piano, but I'm not so sure that a large DP grand would fit into a symphony orchestra.

I suspect that most of the participants on this DP forum are not musicians that play in large orchestras, but rather, many gig in situations where the audience is neither really listening nor can really hear the music clearly.

In these situations, the DP will perform admirably, and probably better than an acoustic piano as speakers can be placed around a large room to disperse the sound more evenly. I attend a jazz club occasionally where the piano, bass, and drums (acoustic) are miked and amped into speakers at the rear of the room.

In large acoustically well designed auditoriums, the acoustic grand piano will rule for many years - in these situations, the DP would be pathetic.

The acoustic has its strengths and weaknesses as does the DP, so it comes down to the application.

The DP is gaining ground, but don't expect it to replace the acoustic anytime soon.

Those that have never played a large grand can't possibly understand the allure of an acoustic - those that haven't ventured into DP Land can't understand the appeal of digital.

I have both, and they are not the same instrument.

And I'm not predicting the pending fate of either.

Last edited by Glenn NK; 12/28/09 04:21 PM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Glenn NK
In time, the straight line of Moore's "law" will curve downward and become asymptotic to a horizontal line.

In silicon, yes, and eventually in any physical manifestation of logic. But there is still plenty of room to go before we hit maximum shrinkage </Seinfeld>

Originally Posted by Glenn NK
Which means that the "law" doesn't hold up, and thus isn't a law.

I think everyone in the industry realizes it is more of an observation than physical a law.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I'd like to see an open soure DP also. A pure sampler would not be hard to implement but the samples are not easy to get and that is the part that really matters. How many people have a concert grand, an anechoic chamber and about $6,000 worth of microphones? That is a high bar to entry. The big trouble is always going to be getting the samples. OK there are studios near my house that rent time for only $50 an hour. But how to get a piano there?

I don't think the recording would have to be in an anechoic chamber, close mikeing would be fine. And they make some really nice microphones these days for not a lot of money, I'd say $200 would do. And decent grade preamps in say a Mackie mixer would be fine too, as long as they fed a decent grade A/D card ($100).

Postprocess could take care of residual noise (I think you would need to do this regardless of the quality of the analog signal chain).

I think the real hard part would be making the mechanism that plays the keys at various well-defined velocities.

It's all been done before, again and again and again, but I agree it could be a bit of a hurdle getting a decent sample into the public domain.

As for the hardware, It takes more compute power than that. For example Pianoteq can't run on the Atom processor without turning off some features. They suggest using a dual core Intel chip. More sophisticated models will require more compute and DSP power. The sky is really the limit but even the high end of this range is getting cheap. By definition an open source project has the source availabel so it could be recompiled onto user's hardware, whatever that is. You would have to select a common, free Real-Time operating system.

The Atom is great for low-power netbooks, but is horribly underpowered in general.

Windows isn't an RTOS, so I would assume some variant of Linux would do.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by turandot
Morodienne,

I prefer classical music to any other category for listening. I was not putting down classical music in any way. However, reality is reality. Chances are that one day the romantic lit of the mid-to-late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries which made the modern acoustic concert grand piano the 'beast' (that many refer to it as) will take its place with the instrument employed to make it next to Gregorian chant, baroque, etc. I do not know when and exactly how that will happen. I'm just making an observation.

In terms of practice and performance, each player can make his own judgment about what genre appeals to him and suits his particular talents. As I said, it's all good even though it's personally annoying to me when some derivative classical throwaway piece by Mozart or Haydn concocted for a Duke, Duchess, or even an Emperor is considered superior based on its genre to something like Chick Corea's My Spanish Heart.

I'll stand on my post despite your bruised feelings (which I in no way intended to provoke). Classical lit requires tremendous self-discipline to achieve mastery. Mastery is judged by the ability to execute all the prescribed details. Can you dispute the fact that in classical lit virtually everything is prescribed?

Every generation produces a few acoustic players who can simultaneously honor the composer's intent to the fullest yet somehow get beyond it, Richter being an example in my mind. However, even at the highest level of concert pianists, most performances break no new ground and are mainly judged in comparison to other recorded or simply recalled performances.

A digital piano offers deviant options. I use the word 'deviant' because those button pushes lead away from a dedication to mastery to a world of exploration. I honestly believe that the resistance of successful classical method piano teachers towards students with digital instruments is more about those deviant options than it is about a lack of action quality and/or precise action control.

For recreational players, exploration and whatever creativity results from it can be more fulfilling and more fun than the fulfillment of a relative mastery of prescribed lit. In contemporary lifestyle patterns, whether you like them or not, the trend is toward expression of self, not about revering the past. For this the digital is a better fit. That said, those who aspire toward mastery of classical lit have my total respect. It's an arduous lifelong endeavor with few external rewards.

Please do not take my comments as condescending in any way. I was simply expressing my honest opinion. Each of us has a right to do that. However, I'm done here and will not post further on this because I don't want to engage in some meaningless debate with those who bruise so easily. My opinion is not what I want. It is simply what I see around me.

Your subsequent post was much less insulting and stereotyping. I appreciate that. I'm not one to "bruise easily" but perhaps you should be more cautious of making sweeping generalizations. Nuff said.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I'm going to go against my better judgement and stir the hornet's nest a bit.

Things I really, really hate about Classical music instruction (let me count the ways):

1. Overarching rigidity stifles creativity.
2. Competition kills the very soul of music.

Mothers, don't let your kids grow up to be concert pianists.

M
M
Originally Posted by dewster

Things I really, really hate about Classical music instruction (let me count the ways):

1. I agree 100%
2. I agree 100%

But these things are not exclusive to classical music. I see it in popular styles too.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
W
W

1. It helps if they have enough basic skills to become creative.

2. Competition often brings out the best in students.

There are already too many "one button push" wonders that are a loooong ways from being creative, perhaps some good instruction when they started would have avoided that. I certainly never felt that competition killed the soul of the music my band was playing when we were in the statewide battle of the bands.
Clyde

DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, etc.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wildpaws

Yea, but there are ways to develop skills other than rigidly requiring students to perform a repertoire from old dead guys, in a manner dictated by a bunch of old undead white guys. Improvising is verboten!

I have never in my life picked up a musical instrument in order to "win". I play because I enjoy it. Pitting young student against student in an already stressful performance environment is punishment. No wonder Glenn Gould was so tormented, the poor boy ran the entire gauntlet of crazy.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
All true. But I wonder if any of this applies to pianos anyway? DPs are not stressing the technical limits of their embedded computers. Rather, the limits are found in the way the sound signals are produced and in the way they're reproduced.

I think it is beyond how the sound is made or even how perfect (however perfection is defined) an instrument may be. Some times, it's just pure practicality. Whether a concert pianist would be willing to perform using a digital piano among other acoustic instruments is the big question. My feeling is no. If the audience did not pay money to listen to an digital cello, violin, oboe, whatever, then they would not accept a digital piano either. How good or bad these digital instruments sound is irrelevant if the audience expects traditional un-amplified instruments. This is probably why digital pianos are only used when the rest of the music are coming from amplified instruments and the audience is experiencing the concert from speakers to begin with.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M

I absolutely agree with both of these statements. Astounding that the fast majority of classical training ignores "playing by ear" and improvisation. Also, the championing of memorization kills the music as well.

Lawrence

M
M

Yea, but there are ways to develop skills other than rigidly requiring students to perform a repertoire from old dead guys, in a manner dictated by a bunch of old undead white guys. Improvising is verboten!

I teach traditional/classical piano. I also teach my students to improvise and compose in whatever style they wish. I also have students interested in jazz, which I teach as well. I'm not an old white guy, either. I encourage creativity, and these students develop a love for classical music (old dead white guy music?!?!). It's been around for so long for a reason: because it's actually good music.

I have never in my life picked up a musical instrument in order to "win". I play because I enjoy it. Pitting young student against student in an already stressful performance environment is punishment. No wonder Glenn Gould was so tormented, the poor boy ran the entire gauntlet of crazy.
There's healthy competition, and not healthy competition. It all depends on the person. Me, I like competing vocally, but I don't enjoy it with piano, so I don't do piano competitions. However, I do see that some students thrive on this, and while I would never pit a sibling against another sibling, I do use the more advanced students to inspire the younger less advanced ones. This is healthy competition.

edited to add: It seems as though many people are confusing classical music with those that play it, and their experiences with those that play it. Every single example given of people being strict, non-musical, killing creativity, etc. can also be said for any genre out there. And none of it has to do with classical music itself.

Last edited by Morodiene; 12/29/09 10:41 AM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Morodiene

edited to add: It seems as though many people are confusing classical music with those that play it, and their experiences with those that play it. Every single example given of people being strict, non-musical, killing creativity, etc. can also be said for any genre out there. And none of it has to do with classical music itself.

Yes, I agree with you.

W
W

Learning and performing that "repertoire" provides the necessary skills, improvising in and of itself does not necessarily do anything. One must first know and understand something in order to truly improvise on it. Certainly the love of playing music is a good thing, I've loved playing music for over 45 years, but that does not mean I was not pushed to higher levels of competance by competition. Oh, and before you give me the old "dead man" crap, I'm just an old rock and roll musician that wished he had better training when he was younger, it would have made my musical journey much more interesting and easier.
Clyde

DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, etc.
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
This is probably why digital pianos are only used when the rest of the music are coming from amplified instruments and the audience is experiencing the concert from speakers to begin with.

The exception would be jazz bands and even big swing bands. they routinely mix electric and acoustic instruments.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
This is probably why digital pianos are only used when the rest of the music are coming from amplified instruments and the audience is experiencing the concert from speakers to begin with.

The exception would be jazz bands and even big swing bands. they routinely mix electric and acoustic instruments.

How about:
Trans-Siberean Orchestra
Bond

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Melodialworks Music

I absolutely agree with both of these statements. Astounding that the fast majority of classical training ignores "playing by ear" and improvisation. Also, the championing of memorization kills the music as well.

Lawrence

What's worse is that back when classical music was popular music (a few centuries ago) I think most listeners heard improvisation. Back then they were playing "contemporary music" and I'm sure would adapt to suit the audience, venue and instruments at hand.

All music in those days was live and I think only large formal concerts would use printed music. I doubt the average musician could even afford to buy printed sheet music. I think it became afordable only in the early 1800's

M
M
Not only that, ChrisA, but the best composers of the time were also great improvisers. Both the skill of composing and improvising have gone to the wayside in many studios in favor of focusing just on technical prowess. However, in many teaching circles there is a resurgence to get back to this.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
D
I may be a newbie, but I feel acoustic pianos will never go away. It's part of our heritage; we grew up with them.

It's like automatic transmissions on cars; they get more advanced where you can shift faster and go faster than a manual transmission, but something about the traditional that new stuff doesn't seem to replace.

Practice takes patience, but patience takes practice.

-Me
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission