2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (AlkansBookcase, cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 6 invisible), 1,235 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
adam101 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hey guys,

I am looking to buy a digital piano and from online research I am constantly being referred to the Yamaha YDP-140. I have looked on YouTube and the sound is great, and I've looked in stores and it's within my budget.

However, I have also come across the Casio PX-830, and the specifications seem a lot higher. It also looks fantastic. However, I'm looking for someone with knowledge of both brands - I've heard that there have been a lot of reports of key sticking and wobbling with the Casio PX range. I can get the PX-830 for just a little bit more money, is it worth it?

My maximum budget is around £750, and the depth of the piano can be no larger than the YDP (which is another reason I am leaning towards the PX-830). Has anyone got any better suggestions that fit my needs? Just to add, I am looking for a digital piano that resembles the touch/weight and sound of an acoustic piano as close as possible (well, aren't we all?).

Casio PX-830: http://www.casio-europe.com/euro/emi/privia/px830/specifications/

Yamaha YDP-140: http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail.html?CNTID=5012841

I am looking to buy a piano on Tuesday online, so any advice before then will be GREATLY appreciated. Also, please bare in mind that I live in the UK.

Thanks for reading grin

BTW: When I purchase and receive my digital piano I will come back online and tell you allllll about it smile

Last edited by adam101; 12/27/09 07:09 AM.
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by adam101
I have also come across the Casio PX-830, and the specifications seem a lot higher.

The Number one most important feature is the "feel" of the key action. Everything else is secondary to that. So buy the piano with the best key action. There is no way at all you can decide without trying the piano yourself.

If you must buy something sight unseen then borrow some more money and go for the YDP160. It has Yamaha's better "GH" key action. Most people prefer the GH keys the GHS keys in the YDP140. So there is a very good chance you'd prefer the GH kays also. But you will not know which group you are in until you try.

If budget is an issue look at the P155. I think it is all around better than either the YDP140 or 160. It lacks a built-in stand but they sell a matching "LP140" stand.

All that said, you will like whatever you buy. They are all good.

L
L
Adam, I subscribe to what Chris wrote, especially regarding the importance of the action. Having very recently bought a DP, with a budget and space constraints similar to yours, I played extensively the YDP-140, the YDP-160 and the PX-830.

For the money, I think the action of the Casio is way superior to the one of the 140 and, to some extent, to the 160. I eventually decided to buy the Casio.

However, the PX-830 I tried had one "sticky" key: sometimes the middle G would remain slightly lowered, and it would take another pass on it to make it come back again.

Nothing major, but combined with the reports on a fair number of the new Casios having problems with sticky keys (and the fact that it was backordered with no shipping date in sight), I reconsidered my decision after a couple of weeks, and canceled my order.

I went back to the store, and started playing DPs with a larger budget, and eventually settled on a Roland HP-203, of which I am quite fond after a month.

So, in theory, if they solve the issue with sticky keys, I think the PX-830 is a superior product (especially in the action area) with respect to both the YDP-140 and 160. But I would urge you to go to a shop and play them as long as you can before making up your mind.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Luca

A
adam101 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thank you both for the advice. Unfortunately, because of my location, I cannot get to any of these showrooms to test the pianos out, so I am buying online based on reviews and advice. However, since I am fairly new to piano and have only taken a dozen lessons or so, I am sure that the Casio will do perfectly. The piano comes with 3 years warranty, so this should cover any key problems if they arise (although I hope they don't).

Cheers again.
I will come back online and give you a short review in a week or so smile

A
adam101 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I promised you guys a short review so here it is -

I decided to go with the Casio PX-830. I ordered it from www.bonnersmusic.co.uk (click here to see the Casio PX-830) at 11:00am and it arrived at 14:00 the next day (the delivery was so fast that I had to cancel my plans for the next day!)

I wont lie, assembly of the piano is not as easy as they advertise, and you will definitely need at least one other able person. However, we assembled it in the tiny room and squeezed it in and... it is beautiful. The design is fantastic, and you get a nice little headphone holder, a cover case for when the piano lid is down, a "Privia" block that rests between the lid and the keyboard area and a book of classical sheet music.

The GH key weighting is fantastic and it really closely resembles that of the acoustic upright piano that I am learning on at my piano teacher's house. If you're worried about the key weighting, don't - it is fantastic to play on.

The sound is one of the main reasons why I was hesitant to go for a Casio instead of a Yamaha (I had heard that the Yamahas had a "brighter" sound). However, I have no problems with the sound of the Casio. It sounds like a real piano (although I cannot really hear the difference between the "Modern" and "Classic" settings).

One thing to note is that although there have been reports of sticky keys in the Casio PX range, I have had no problems. Yes, the keys do move slightly to the sides but it is nothing major and makes for easy playing. Casio also give you an extra year's warranty for registering online (making it three years).

My only quarrel really is that now and then the right (damper) pedal squeaks and creaks just a little bit, but I assume that's because it is the most used of the three. Don't worry, it's nothing too intrusive.

I hope this has been useful for anyone looking to buy the Casio PX-830. If you have any questions, just post back here in the next few days.

Cheers.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission