Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
80 registered members (Animisha, anotherscott, Abdol, ando, cmb13, AlphaBravoCharlie, barbaram, Arty Movie, 18 invisible), 1,167 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Different Songs, Different Methods and Different Techniques #1335269
12/28/09 08:59 AM
12/28/09 08:59 AM
Ireland
Ragtime Clown Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
Ragtime Clown  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member

Ireland
For some time I've been led to believe that learners should concentrate on one method of playing the piano and I've went along with this assumption.

However if you consider the varying types of song and play I think we need to focus on different methods to achieve different styles.

Does anyone agree with me?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Different Songs, Different Methods and Different Techniques [Re: Ragtime Clown] #1335321
12/28/09 10:53 AM
12/28/09 10:53 AM
PA
angelojf Offline
500 Post Club Member
angelojf  Offline
500 Post Club Member

PA
Happy 2010, Ragtime!

My take on it is this: Why, as an adult, should we use the classical learning method(s) if we want to play popular songs? Sure, it may help. But is it really necessary?

What do you want to learn how to play? New Age? There's Ed's Method.
Classical? Perhaps a teacher is the best route...
Popular songs? Then perhaps a teacher to help with that, or one of the other methods we all know (Sudnow, Pop Piano Pro, Piano Magic).

So maybe we should not ask: Should we use more than one method?

But rather the better two part question is, first, what kind of music do I want to play on piano (the primary question), and then secondly, what method can I commit to to get me there?
Just do not get those questions in the wrong order !

For me, I'd love to be able to play some Scott Joplin, classical, jazz voiced tunes, and pop! But at my age, and given my other life responsibilities, I've decided to just focus on pop. Maybe you want it all! If so, maybe the teacher method will help you sort out how much energy to put where.

Re: Different Songs, Different Methods and Different Techniques [Re: angelojf] #1335330
12/28/09 11:04 AM
12/28/09 11:04 AM
pagosa springs,co
rada Offline
1000 Post Club Member
rada  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

pagosa springs,co
I think practicing classical and ragtime are wonderful contrasts. I find lots of similarities in theory between the two.

happy practicing!
rada

Re: Different Songs, Different Methods and Different Techniques [Re: Ragtime Clown] #1335956
12/29/09 01:23 AM
12/29/09 01:23 AM
No. Va.
pianonewb Offline
pianonewb  Offline

No. Va.
This thread is interesting to me, because at the moment, I'm in Alfred's AIO Adult, but am also learning to play by ear. I'm interested in learning at the moment hymns, because I fill in occasionally for the pianist at church. Some songs I play I worked out by ear on my own, with nothing but a knowledge of how the song is sung. Other songs I learned by listening to recordings of what our pianist at church plays and working them out by ear, but adding in or altering them with my own idea of what it should sound like in there as well. I'm also learning some of the songs by slowly reading them out of the hymnal, because I've learned a basic level of reading from the Alfred's book. After learning those in the key they are written in the hymnal, I then transpose them to C or G (if they are in any other key) to make it simpler for the guitarists and bassist to follow along. Also, since the current pianist, who is self taught and plays by ear, always plays in one of these two keys, the congregation is comfortable singing in that range, so who am I to buck the system they've had for nine years?
It depends how much you think you can handle, IMO. I also play some of the modern Contemporary Christian music (think pop/rock) which again I learn by ear. But I'm an experienced guitarist of over 25 years. I am self taught and play by ear. I've played in public in a variety of styles for most of that time, all of which I learned by listening to the recordings and working them out, so I'm pretty comfortable with a lot of different methods and techniques. As long as I can put them all together and make music with it, it's all good. In fact, I know that on guitar, that is how I developed my own unique style. I see no reason why that would not be the case on piano as well.

Mike
Casio Privia PX 120

The only thing nescessary for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing.
[Linked Image]
Re: Different Songs, Different Methods and Different Techniques [Re: angelojf] #1335968
12/29/09 01:51 AM
12/29/09 01:51 AM
US
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member
BenPiano  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

US
Originally Posted by angelojf

But rather the better two part question is, [b]first, what kind of music do I want to play on piano (the primary question)

For some, including me, this question is harder to answer than it seems. I just wanted to "learn how to play piano".

I've gone the classical route, since it seem to me fundamental to most music. I don't have a teacher, but I hope to learn a lot from these timeless pieces anyway.

6 months on the piano, and steadily counting. smile

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
Re: Different Songs, Different Methods and Different Techniques [Re: BenPiano] #1335994
12/29/09 03:19 AM
12/29/09 03:19 AM
Canada
Frozenicicles Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Frozenicicles  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Canada
Ragtime Clown,
I've read several of your posts on this forum. One important thing to remember is that whichever method you choose takes time and effort on your part in order to get results. From my impression, other forum members were not advising you to pick only one and stick with it forever, but rather to stick with one long enough that you can actually get something from it. It's a lot like people who choose to follow whatever the fad diet is of the day - they rarely end up losing any weight because of inconsistency.

Re: Different Songs, Different Methods and Different Techniques [Re: Frozenicicles] #1336010
12/29/09 04:08 AM
12/29/09 04:08 AM
Ireland
Ragtime Clown Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
Ragtime Clown  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member

Ireland
Frozenicicles, although I appear to jump from method to method, the actual fact of the matter is I dabble in each and therefore gain maximum learning, in my opinion.

This has paid off. Recently I picked up a few songs by Irish artist Phil Coulter and having read through his printed material used my classical training to identify that his songs were practically all based on left hand arpeggios in various scales (usually A, Bb or C). The arpeggios didn't change much in pattern and his right hand simply played single note melody or octave melodies.

I was able to play my own arrangements of many of these songs in an instant using all of the learning I have attained and play songs in a matter of hours rather than days.

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Long Distance Piano Moving
by jojousa. 08/22/19 10:20 PM
A Scale Per Day or Per Week or Per...
by writebynight. 08/22/19 10:13 PM
1998 C1 vs. 2016 CG1
by inna_denver. 08/22/19 07:21 PM
What's Hot!!
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,681
Posts2,861,695
Members94,222
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission