2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
69 members (AndrewJCW, anotherscott, Carey, bohemiatotal, Abdol, accordeur, Calavera, 12 invisible), 837 guests, and 541 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
OT request: don't clutter this forum with member recordings
#1334561 12/27/09 09:10 AM
S
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
S
There's a separate place for them: "Member Recordings." Please use it.

Posting them here occasionally is fine (IMO). What's going on presently is not (IMO).

Steven

Re: OT request: don't clutter this forum with member recordings
sotto voce #1334743 12/27/09 03:20 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Agreed.
Although.... I'm not sure why posting them here is fine at all, unless the section specifically designated for this were closed, which maybe it should be, because it's mostly ignored.

Mark_C #1334760 12/27/09 03:52 PM
As a new member I would like to know if I can post my previously unreleased recordings of Scarbo, Liszt's Spanish Rhapsody, Winter Wind Etude, and Prokofiev's 2nd Concerto.

Sincerely,
VH

Last edited by pianoloverus; 12/27/09 04:04 PM.
Mark_C #1334761 12/27/09 03:53 PM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Tradition seems to show that people - even those interested in listening to others' recordings - don't always remember to visit the Members' Recordings section, but "hang out" here regularly. The other advantage of posting a recording here is that because of the greater frequency of visits to this forum, more discussion is generated by posting a recording here.

I, for one - and not just because I've done it myself - have no objection to recordings being posted here for the interest and debate they will sometimes inspire.

What I have done on occasion, after one of my recording posts has died a natural death here, is to post it in Member Recordings as sort of an archive record of that particular attempt.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
BruceD #1334775 12/27/09 04:15 PM
S
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by BruceD
[...]I, for one - and not just because I've done it myself - have no objection to recordings being posted here for the interest and debate they will sometimes inspire....

Then what should the limitation be, if any? Do you think it's okay for one single member to post a half-dozen threads at a time of his own recordings? Perhaps the Prodigious Poster could start a separate thread for each individual Chopin prelude rather than roll those recordings into one; so much the better for inspired debate! smile

It's a slippery slope. If there are no restrictions on posting recordings here, an unlimited number of recording threads could be started by an indeterminate number of posters at any time. All actual discussion about other topics would be eclipsed completely (which, given the current state of affairs on this board, might admittedly not be a bad thing).

Steven

sotto voce #1334777 12/27/09 04:22 PM
Armageddon

pianoloverus #1334779 12/27/09 04:32 PM
This is a common problem. A system is working fine and then one or a small number of people behave outside the commonly accepted norm. And I think BruceD's post gives the flavor of the social norm here. When that happens, do you write a constitution to solve the problem? Do you forbid behavior that was once accepted and even welcomed because a small number of people abuse the norm? I don't have an answer, but I thought I would post the issue as I see it.

BruceD #1334781 12/27/09 04:35 PM
....The other advantage of posting a recording here is that because of the greater frequency of visits to this forum, more discussion is generated by posting a recording here.....

IMO that's pretty close to the very definition of 'abuse' (mildly speaking) of a section of an internet site: Posting something where it doesn't properly belong, just because it'll get more attention there.

People do that all the time on internet sites in general, but hardly at all on this site except for this thing. The most common thing on sites in general is putting political things in the "main" section rather than under "Off Topic." Our thing isn't anywhere comparable to that, but IMO it's the same principle.

Regarding the idea that people just don't look at the "Member Recordings" section, this is why. It's because so many people just keep putting their recordings "here," because it'll get more attention. It becomes a self-fulfilling vicious circle.

And meanwhile, us schmucks who follow the site's guideline properly get less views. ha

sotto voce #1334783 12/27/09 04:40 PM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by sotto voce
[...]I, for one - and not just because I've done it myself - have no objection to recordings being posted here for the interest and debate they will sometimes inspire....

Then what should the limitation be, if any? Do you think it's okay for one single member to post a half-dozen threads at a time of his own recordings? Perhaps the Prodigious Poster could start a separate thread for each individual Chopin prelude rather than roll those recordings into one; so much the better for inspired debate! smile

It's a slippery slope. If there are no restrictions on posting recordings here, an unlimited number of recording threads could be started by an indeterminate number of posters at any time. All actual discussion about other topics would be eclipsed completely (which, given the current state of affairs on this board, might admittedly not be a bad thing).

Steven

Perhaps we should try to patiently weather the current "storm" and, if things don't return to what is considered normal, then agitate for change or limitations. Looking at this particular forum for more than nine years, I see that the current situation seems to be an anomaly. Let's not react too quickly.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
BruceD #1334787 12/27/09 04:46 PM
Well, then the people who follow the guideline properly will keep being penalized.

Mark_C #1334800 12/27/09 05:04 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
On the adult beginners forum there is a monthly "piano bar" thread. Maybe the non-beginners that feel the need to post somewhere more high traffic than the member recordings section could start something similar here so that at least the recordings wouldn't take up so much of the page. Unless someone has a specific question about the way they are playing something (fingering, etc.) it really doesn't belong here. I don't care really personally, but putting it where it belongs or at least condensing it down would be the polite thing to do.

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Piano*Dad #1334801 12/27/09 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
.....When that happens, do you write a constitution to solve the problem?.....

The forum has different sections, each of which is succinctly and pretty clearly marked with its purpose and boundaries.
(With the possible exception of "Adult Beginners Forum.") ha

......What I have done on occasion, after one of my recording posts has died a natural death here, is to post it in Member Recordings as sort of an archive record.

OK then, how about this.
So as not to penalize us people ("schmucks," I called us) who have stupidly followed the guideline, how about re-defining and re-labeling the "Member Recordings" section as being just what you said, with the understanding that we're supposed to initially put our recordings in one of these main sections?
(Which I would suggest could be either "Pianist Corner" or "Adult Beginners Forum," according to the level that each person considers himself/herself to be.)

Unless it is decided that putting our recordings in this section is to be universally frowned upon, consider that a proposal. smile

Little_Blue_Engine #1334804 12/27/09 05:09 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Another suggestion:
If the Member Recordings board was in the main forums section rather than down in the "Fun Stuff" section perhaps it would get more attention. I sometimes just forget it's there.

Du holde Kunst...
Mark_C #1334805 12/27/09 05:10 PM
S
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by MarkCannon
....The other advantage of posting a recording here is that because of the greater frequency of visits to this forum, more discussion is generated by posting a recording here.....

IMO that's pretty close to the very definition of 'abuse' (mildly speaking) of a section of an internet site: Posting something where it doesn't properly belong, just because it'll get more attention there. . . .

I was thinking of it as a form of spam, which in turn is a form of abuse. Objectively, it should rankle no matter who the offender is; when it's someone who has so overestimated his abilities and the obligation of readers to get off their "backsides" and provide feedback that's amenable to him (in form, at least, if not in content), it's particularly vexing.

Originally Posted by MarkCannon
Regarding the idea that people just don't look at the "Member Recordings" section, this is why. It's because so many people just keep putting their recordings "here," because it'll get more attention. It becomes a self-fulfilling vicious circle.

Suggestions have been made in the past to enhance the visibility of the Member Recordings section—to no avail. Now that last spring's upgrade in the board's interface allows for subforums to be created for any main forum, perhaps the idea should be explored of creating individual areas for member recordings as subforums in each of the various member areas. I have no idea whether it would increase prominence, participation or traffic—but maybe it's worth a shot.

FWIW, I do understand Bruce's appeal for patience until equilibrium naturally reestablishes itself. Let's hope it happens sooner rather than later. smile

Steven

Re: OT request: don't clutter this forum with member record
Mark_C #1334806 12/27/09 05:10 PM
Mark,

There are no guidelines. You are not being abused because someone posts recordings here. This is all that is said in the introduction to this forum:

Welcome to The Pianist Corner.
The place to discuss playing the piano.
Feel free to talk about technique, performance, piano pieces, composers, competitions, etc.

This does not forbid posting of recordings. In fact, posting of one's recordings can help stimulate discussions of technique, piano pieces, composers, competitions, etc.!

BruceD #1334807 12/27/09 05:11 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Perhaps we should try to patiently weather the current "storm"....

Well-put advice. As long as we're on the topic, though, I do want to throw out one concrete suggestion: that Member Recordings be placed in the "Our Most Popular Forums" section. Currently it's banished to "Fun Stuff! - Parties, Tours, Projects & More...". Bringing it in the fold might encourage its use without upsetting things too much.

I don't know who has the power to do this.

-Jason

Mark_C #1334810 12/27/09 05:16 PM
This is one of those grey areas that's always a tough call. I have the ability to move threads (and have in the past) when they belong in the recordings forum.

We're very close to my threshold. I actually considered moving threads this morning, but things seem a little volatile around here lately, so I chose not to rock the boat. smile

Plus, I thought it brought up an interesting meta-discussion on posting recordings.

My wife and I have discussed this regarding YouTube in the past. On one hand, it's cool that people can share their artistic efforts with others - for advice, encouragement, or whatever reason. On the other hand, the result is that there's an enormous amount of garbage on YouTube that's rather embarrassing. I'll often watch videos and think to myself "Are you kidding? Is THAT really the impression you want to give to people?"

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
currawong #1334811 12/27/09 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by currawong
Another suggestion:
If the Member Recordings board was in the main forums section rather than down in the "Fun Stuff" section perhaps it would get more attention. I sometimes just forget it's there.

I think that works.

Re: OT request: don't clutter this forum with member record
Piano*Dad #1334813 12/27/09 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
This is all that is said in the introduction to this forum:
Welcome to The Pianist Corner.
The place to discuss playing the piano.
Feel free to talk about technique, performance, piano pieces, composers, competitions, etc.

This does not forbid posting of recordings....

.....except that there's a different section which is specifically designated for exactly that.

Look, PianoDad -- YOU have followed it the right way! And that was good.
Of course you would have gotten more views and replies if you had ignored the guidelines..... ha

beet31425 #1334816 12/27/09 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by beet31425
[......one concrete suggestion: that Member Recordings be placed in the "Our Most Popular Forums" section. Currently it's banished to "Fun Stuff! - Parties, Tours, Projects & More...". Bringing it in the fold might encourage its use without upsetting things too much.

Yes, as Currawong also said.
And I would add: Coupled with discouragement from putting their recordings elsewhere. (I'm just saying 'discouragement,' not imprisonment.) smile

I don't know who has the power to do this.

That's an easy one -- "the powers that be," whoever they are. ha

I feel sure that if there's enough of a consensus from us, it'll be done.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
KAWAI CA79 METRONOME
by Giovanni Zanini - 01/16/21 01:43 PM
DIY Acoustical Digital Piano - algorithm
by stemPianist - 01/16/21 01:04 PM
First post. Question about Baldwin model R
by Gregory Waits - 01/16/21 11:29 AM
Garritans CFX Sample Player ???
by DigitalMusicProduc - 01/16/21 11:16 AM
The College Experience
by MinscAndBoo - 01/16/21 10:40 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,293
Posts3,047,341
Members100,078
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission