2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (benkeys, Burkhard, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 14 invisible), 1,819 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1332994 12/24/09 12:50 PM
A
OP Offline
A
Hello,

We are looking at these two pianos. We understand they are comparable in class. There is slight difference in price (Yamaha is about 20% cheaper). However, the most important is which one is more preferable because we are in this for a long run. Our daughter is playing very well and it is looking like she will continue on for years to come.

Please let us know your thoughts and how you feel about these two models.

Thanks,
Alyssa

Hi Alyssa,

Which one does your daughter like more, and why? How old is she?

These two are both excellent pianos. I think the difference is mainly in the tone (some might argue otherwise but this is just my opinion). If your daughter is old enough to make a musically informed decision this might be her call. :0)

lily

Lily L. - Certified Music Teacher, CT....
Sauter Master Class 130
Roland MP-70
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Hello Alyssa,
Welcome to the Piano Forum.

The choice between two pianos of similar quality and style is highly subjective. Which of the two pianos appeals more in terms of sound and touch? Your daughter should be able to provide valuable input. If you do not play yourself, ask a friend who plays the piano to play both pianos and give you additional feed back.

From a non musical perspective, the Yamaha is cheaper with better brand recognition than the Petrof which is advantageous when selling or upgrading the piano.

Personally, unless the Petrof had a significantly better tone and touch, I would go for the Yamaha YUS5

All the best for your decision.

Merry Christmas!

Robert.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
These are both potentially very nice uprights. I came close to buying a Petrof 131 and Yamaha U5 during my search a few years ago.

The sound and feel of these instruments will be very different from each other; the best choice may be based on personal preference. Assuming proper dealer prep, I'm sure either would serve you well for a long, long time.

Happy holidays!

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Both are excellent pianos and will serve you well. That said, my question is do you absolutely not have room for even a small grand? The might and majesty of both of these uprights will pale in performance to a decent small grand.

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
Work for west coast dealer for Yamaha, Schimmel, Bosendorfer, Wm. Knabe.
J
J
YUS5 in my opinion. Love it!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Having played some Yamahas and Petrofs lately during my own search (not exactly YUS5 and P135, but still) I think they are very different pianos. Both in sound and touch. Having said that I'd recommend buying the one your daughter loves more. From the reliability standpoint both are well known and respected brands with very high build quality. I would restrain myself from judging which one is better here - both are very fine instruments from the quality standpoint. If we consider sound and touch, it's even more difficult, or even impossible, to judge at all. Yamaha might have some edge if resale is concerned.

What your daughter thinks is the most important factor - don't buy based only on what people here choose and think is better. Treat everything we say as objectively as you can and finally make your decision with your own (your daughter's) heart, ears and hands. Sound and touch is extremely personal and subjective.

By the way, I'm curious - where do you live, if I may ask? I looked up prices here in Poland and was suprised, because here Yamaha is over 30% more expensive than Petrof, and at your place it's cheaper. So either Yamaha is much more pricey here than everywhere else, or Petrof is rising the price bar where you live. Sorry for my question - it's just plain curiosity.

Best wishes!
Mateusz

Last edited by Mati; 12/26/09 07:13 PM.

Mateusz Papiernik
https://maticomp.net
"One man can make a difference" - Wilton Knight
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)
A
OP Offline
A
Hi Mateusz,

We live in Hong Kong. The price of the Petrof is roughly 20% more expensive than the Yamaha.

Based on everyone's recommendations, we did go back to the piano shop and have our daughter tried out all of the possible models of similar class. She landed her eyes on the Boston UP-132E PE. Pricing wise, it's between the Yamaha and the Petrof.

We do not know much about Piano and we are reluctant to base a long term purchase on just our daughter's judgement (she's under 10). It would be nice to solicit a bit more professional advices.

May I know your view on the Boston UP-132E PE? Is it the same class as the YUS5 and Petrof P135? It carries the name of its parents Steinway and Sons. But is it truly one of the best in its class or is it just overrated because of having a parent of that name?

Thanks,
Alyssa

Last edited by Alyssa Yang; 12/27/09 01:01 PM.
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Hi Alyssa,
Although, your question about the Boston UP-132E PE is directed at Mateusz, I used to own a Boston grand piano and I am happy to offer an opinion.

Boston pianos are made in the Kawai Piano factory at Hamamatsu in Japan. Steinway and Sons state that the design of Boston pianos is Steinway inspired, but their manufacture is entirely by Kawai.

A significant point of differentiation between Boston and Kawai is that Boston pianos have the traditional wood action. They do not have Kawai's Millenium III action which is mostly constructed from synthetic material for greater strength and stability.

I have found the larger model Boston verticals and grands very nice instruments and in quality they are similar to Yamaha and Kawai pianos.

Whether or not they are the best in their class is debatable.
For some, the Steinway association inscribed on the piano may confer a special status.
In my view it is wiser to assess the Boston UP_132PE in comparison with other makes using the more important criteria of tone, touch and dynamic range.

Best wishes,

Robert

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Alyssa,

We all have our personal opinions.

I once owned a Petrof P 131 (apart from the cabinet and the sostenuto pedal the same piano as the 135) and a Boston 132.

I considered the Boston the worst upright I ever owned and therefor did not keep it long: meaty bass section that is disproportional to the rest os the scale, bass section thus difficult to controll, a lot of cabinet resonances and sloppy finish overall, i.e. the interior of the piano as compared to a Petrof.

The Petrof P 131 (135) I consider one of the better uprights in it's price category and the category to 25% above that. I may seem a bit restraint at first encounter, but the tonbe is very well balanced and opens uo when power is needed.

schwammerl.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have never encountered Boston myself, so I can't give any constructive advice here. I will however read with great interest what others could say about them!

M.

Mateusz Papiernik
https://maticomp.net
"One man can make a difference" - Wilton Knight
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission