2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
55 members (Carey, billpst, astrotoy, Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, Biff Steel, Bellyman, benkeys, 9 invisible), 1,627 guests, and 436 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
T'sMom Offline OP
OP Offline
T
There is a pianist giving a local concert. It is a fairly informal setting. The pieces she is playing are listed in the paper. I'm thinking of bringing the sheet music and following along as I listen to her play. I like doing this now with some You Tube performances.

Anyone ever done this? How strange is it?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
I don't like to do it, and it's not real common but not rare either. I'd estimate that less than 1% of people do it, but more than 1% of 1% smile .....and that's enough for it to be OK for you.

Just make sure (of course) that your page-turning is essentially unobstrusive, including visually. If you can't do it completely quietly and extremely gracefully, don't.

And make sure to sit in the back. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have a feeling that Piano*Dad admitted to this rather nerdy activity wink but I think I remember that it was at a competition which is different.

J&Smom, I like to read scores and listen but i've never done it in a concert probably because it wouldn't feel right, and I'm happy to be more in my head than reading. I have taken scores to rehearsal though, and this is great to do. If it's very informal you might get away with it if you are not sitting next to someone and can do the silent page turn as mentioned.

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
Online Content
Off the subj.....but congrats on that cute little piano. smile

E
E
I used to - but not after youtube.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Never. I often follow along with the score when listening to recordings at home, but never in a concert. I'd much rather watch, and enjoy the event.

T
T'sMom Offline OP
OP Offline
T
The more I think about it the more I want to try it. It is truly a casual setting. I wouldn't do it at Symphony Hall (or would I?). I think if I print out the scores on single sheets and have them in order then it should be easy to be unobtrusive. I feel like it will really help me appreciate the performance. Usually the pros seem so far out of my league that I can't even relate to what they are doing.

Online Content
Originally Posted by J&Smom
.....I think if I print out the scores on single sheets and have them in order then it should be easy to be unobtrusive.....

Great idea. (Really!)
As long as you don't drop them and have them go flying all over. smile

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member
I would not do it. I would hope you are there to see the performance not what is on the page. I would also not want to be sitting next to you if you were turning pages. I think the performer deserves all of your attention and I don't believe that is possible if you are following with the score.

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I often follow the music to songs at the monthly Ragtime Society meeting but this is a very informal meeting at a pizza restaurant and there is enough background noise that no-one would notice the sound of a page turning. I would not do this in a concert hall but in an informal setting it should be OK.

Online Content
Originally Posted by Carl Mc
I would not do it. I would hope you are there to see the performance not what is on the page. I would also not want to be sitting next to you if you were turning pages. I think the performer deserves all of your attention and I don't believe that is possible if you are following with the score.

You're expressing a basic opinion about bringing a score (one which I share), not whether it's OK for him to do it. I thought the main thing he was asking was, may he, although indeed he's also asking just what we think of it.

I'm totally with your view. I find it hard to relate to wanting to bring the score to a concert, and I sure wouldn't want to be sitting next to someone like that either. In fact, if at all possible, I would move, and if I couldn't, unless he was truly unobtrusive with it, I'd say something to him. (Between pieces, I mean.) smile

But the fact is that some people find it meaningful to have the score and they do bring it and use it.

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Somewhere...perhaps in a blog by a professional classical pianist...perhaps in a biography, I read that many performing artists hate it when people who sit right up front do this, as it's very distracting. However, if you can be unobtrusive, I guess it would be OK.

I, personally, would rather just focus on the live event.

Adult Amateur Pianist

My only domestic quality is that I live in a house.
Online Content
Originally Posted by ProdigalPianist
Somewhere...perhaps in a blog by a professional classical pianist...perhaps in a biography, I read that many performing artists hate it when people who sit right up front do this, as it's very distracting.....

I would think every performing artist would hate that, even the blind ones.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
According to my experience, the seating in concert halls is pretty cozy. I would think a score-following neighbor would be an annoyance; also, the house lights are down during the performance, and unless you bring some kind of flashlight...

It would be perfectly appropriate to prepare for the performance by following a recording with the score--- that is a valuable learning tool.

Besides the lighting and the rustling, how would you know what edition the performer used?

I say, ix-nay on the ore-skay, and if you have to cough, wait for a fortissimo passage and use a handkerchief.

Clef

Online Content
Originally Posted by Jeff Clef
According to my experience, the seating in concert halls is pretty cozy. I would think a score-following neighbor would be an annoyance; also, the house lights are down during the performance, and unless you bring some kind of flashlight....

Yes, but......our guy isn't inventing something. The fact is that some people do do this. (I don't disagree with you on the basic idea of this kind of thing.)
.....how would you know what edition the performer used?....

People who bring the score don't care about that, and really neither would I if I brought the score (which I never would). There's all kinds of issues about editions, and I don't think this would be in the top 100. smile

P
P
I bring scores to orchestral concerts all the time. I turn the pages as quietly as possible - people who rustle their programs make more noise than I do. In many years of doing this, I have had one neighbor complain. Often, people behind me notice and make positive comments.

Online Content
Originally Posted by Paul Kolodner
I bring scores to orchestral concerts all the time. I turn the pages as quietly as possible - people who rustle their programs make more noise than I do.

Good point. They need to be careful about that too. smile
.....Often, people behind me notice and make positive comments.

LIKE WHAT? ha

P
P
...like: it was fun looking over your shoulder.

P
P
and: did they play any wrong notes?

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Paul Kolodner
I bring scores to orchestral concerts all the time. I turn the pages as quietly as possible - people who rustle their programs make more noise than I do. In many years of doing this, I have had one neighbor complain.
If you turn the pages quietly I can't see how anyone should be distracted*. I don't usually look at what my neighbouring concertgoers have in their hands, or their lap. I think if I were sitting in the very front row, in the visual field of a soloist, I would be more careful, but that would apply to things like sudden movements, crossing or uncrossing legs etc just as much as (probably more than) having a score on my lap.

I don't do this (i.e. bring the score) but I can see no reason why one shouldn't. The only time I think I have used a score in a concert was during some performances of the Bach St Matthew Passion, where the audience was encouraged to sing along in the chorales. Just about everyone brought scores, and many followed throughout.

* unless they use a flashlight, as Jeff suggested!

Du holde Kunst...

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Steinway Victory Vertical parts acquisition
by ArukahPiano - 04/24/24 06:56 PM
Power supply when moving from USA to UK
by Stephen7179 - 04/24/24 06:45 PM
First post here..."Poor man's Pianofit"
by Cleartrueblue - 04/24/24 06:05 PM
Piano Competitions for Amateurs
by Sion - 04/24/24 04:47 PM
Just how loud is it under a piano?
by srsg90 - 04/24/24 04:29 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,490
Posts3,350,777
Members111,699
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission