2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 1,776 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Kiah Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I've looked at a lot of DP and believe I have it narrowed down to the Clavinova 330 v ydp223 v Kawai CN32. Unfortunately they are at 3 different dealers so I can't play them side by side and one dealer doesn't have the information regarding the others. Obviously pricing is ranging between $1500-$2300. I'd really like the USB which the ydp223 does not have but, according to the dealer, I can buy a converter to plug into the MIDI slot to make USB accessable. Is this a good option? Does anyone know how they compare?

I just got the YDP223 and I can say it's a very nice DP with a very "authentic feel of an acoustic piano according to a friend of mine. (since I've never played an acoustic)"
It sounds beautiful, the Graded hammer feels excellent. The design looks very classic and the features are more than enough. The bench really saves you the money and it already has the three pedals so you don't have to worry about anything at all. it brings the manual and a 50 classic piano song booklet. I was going to get a P85 but my dad surprised me and pitched in the rest of the money because he didnt wan't me to get a crappy DP smile (which of course I don't consider the P85 crappy if it is open to comparison between pianos of the same prize). To me it serves pretty much anything you want to throw at it.

The other pianos I really have no idea about. Good Luck!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
The YDP223 is an older model, lacking half-pedalling and dynamic sampling. The CLP330 would be a better choice. (The CLP330 also has greater polyphony, but I don't think that's an important factor.)

I can't speak about the CN32 ... I've never tried one.

G
G
The YDP 223 sounds excellent and costs less than the CLP 330.
You can't go wong with the 223.

J
J
If you can afford it, go with the Clavinova CLP330. It is newer, better connections and most important, better hammer action: GH3 as oppossed to the GH of the YDP223.

Jose
Kawai K5 - Kawai CA61
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Kiah
I've looked at a lot of DP and believe I have it narrowed down to the Clavinova 330 v ydp223 v Kawai CN32. Unfortunately they are at 3 different dealers so I can't play them side by side and one dealer doesn't have the information regarding the others. Obviously pricing is ranging between $1500-$2300. I'd really like the USB which the ydp223 does not have but, according to the dealer, I can buy a converter to plug into the MIDI slot to make USB accessable. Is this a good option? Does anyone know how they compare?

You do NOT want the USB connection. You really do want those round DIN plugs. The trouble with USB midi is that it is not universally compatible and only work with current production computers and NO other music equipment. Those round DIN plugs have been and will always be THE standard. Most home users will only ever want to connect the keyboard to a computer but you never know, having those DIN plugs lets you connect to the entire "midi universe"

As has been pointed out in this forum 100 times. THe YDP223 and most others DPs are on sale for 20% off. The the YDP223 is not a little less compared to the others.

The YDP223 and CLP3330 are quite a bit alike. The bigest difference is how they are sold. the CLP is sold through piano dealers and the YDP line is sold through mass market music retails and on-line.

I think the Yamaha sound is different than the Kawai. Kawai's s nice an musical. I like it but the Yamaha's is more "real"

I just went through this exercise a few weeks ago. I ended up with the Yamaha P155. It has newer and better sound technology than either of three you looked at and costs less

Originally Posted by ChrisA
You do NOT want the USB connection. You really do want those round DIN plugs. The trouble with USB midi is that it is not universally compatible and only work with current production computers and NO other music equipment.
Are you sure about what the OP wants? Many people DO want the USB, and would have no use for the MIDI port. Nearly all computers have USB ports, but almost none have a MIDI connection.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The MIDI to use adapter is about $40. Most of our home-use customers find straight USB much more convenient and easier.

Warranty on the CLP330 is five years parts and labor in-home service.

Warranty on the YDP223 is three years parts and labor carry-in or mail-in service (must save the big box+ UPS/FEDEX fees).

The action, GH3< on the CLP330 is further up the evolutionary/authenticity ladder than the action on the YDPs.

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
Work for west coast dealer for Yamaha, Schimmel, Bosendorfer, Wm. Knabe.
M
M
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Originally Posted by ChrisA
You do NOT want the USB connection. You really do want those round DIN plugs. The trouble with USB midi is that it is not universally compatible and only work with current production computers and NO other music equipment.
Are you sure about what the OP wants? Many people DO want the USB, and would have no use for the MIDI port. Nearly all computers have USB ports, but almost none have a MIDI connection.

Yes, but I've read a post here a while ago where somebody got himself a DP without realizing that its USB port is only for copying MIDI files to a flash drive, and not for hooking up the DP to a computer. So USB can be confusing. A MIDI port OTOH is standard and converter cables for USB are cheap.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The Yamaha CLP330 features connections for MIDI to device, MIDI to Host, and MIDI In/Out/Thru.

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
Work for west coast dealer for Yamaha, Schimmel, Bosendorfer, Wm. Knabe.
Originally Posted by Marty Flinn
The Yamaha CLP330 features connections for MIDI to device, MIDI to Host, and MIDI In/Out/Thru.
I have a CLP240 with those same connections. The USB installation was a snap.

Hi.

Well, I own a Kawai CN32 and it's a very nice digital piano. It has both type of MIDI connection (USB and standard). I think is better to get the DIN connection, beacuse you'll be able to connect it to any MIDI device. Anyway, a USB MIDI interface is a great idea.

Yamaha and Roland are very nice, but in the same price range I prefer Kawai. I don't like all its piano sounds, but the main is very realistic, and I like the AHA IV-F action and the design of the cabinet.

And this is only a personal detail, but I love to have the choice of hidding the control panel with the keyboard cover, in this way it almost seems a real piano.

I recommend you to try the CN32 with a good pair of headphones, it sounds very warm. And I supose this is good test for any digital piano or instrument. Its internal speakers probably are not the best, but once recorded and listened in a good audio system it sounds amazing.

Good luck with your choice!

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission