2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
58 members (Blue72, 1957, Badger1966, accordeur, anotherscott, Burkey, c++, 11 invisible), 405 guests, and 406 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Nordheimer. Any information about this brand?
#1327640 12/17/09 05:54 PM
M
Mike088 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Could anyone share with me some historical information about the brand Nordheimer?

I saw a Nordheimer grand from about 1930 (didn't play it yet) and I would like to know about the status of this brand during this era. A friend of mine also has a Nordheimer grand and I am sure she would like to know too. I would actually be curious to know when (if at all) Nordheimer made good quality pianos. I noticed that in Larry Fine's piano buyer on page 48 he doesn't list Nordheimer as a brand notable for considering in terms of older higher quality pianos from the past (the early 20th century) and I would like to know if there is a reason for this.

Did Nordheimer build good pianos? When?
Would anyone know which serial numbers might be good to look for?

Thank you,

Mike

Re: Nordheimer. Any information about this brand?
Mike088 #1327655 12/17/09 06:12 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Nordhiemer made fantastic pianos.
The grands I have seen were very well constructed.
By 1910 Nordheimer manufactured 11,000 pianos in Canada ans 21,500 by 1912 When Samuel Nordhiemer died in 1912 his estate was worth 1.5 million dollars. So I guess he was doing something right.
In 1927 Heintzman purchase the company and produced Nordheimers until the mid 1960'a

Verhnjak Pianos
Specializing in the Restoration, Refinishing & Maintenance
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

Rod Verhnjak #1328828 12/19/09 04:16 AM
M
Mike088 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thank you Rod,

I found another relevant paragraph of information about Nordheimer pianos and a change in the production of these pianos that may have occured in 1927:

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heintzman_&_Co.)
Theodore Heintzman's nephew, Gerhard Heintzman, was also a piano maker, and when Gerhart died in 1926, Heintzman & Co. continued to operate Gerhard company for several years. In later years they also produced pianos under the Gerhard Heintzman brand. In the 1920s (mikes note: 1927), when many Canadian piano manufacturers were struggling, Heintzman & Co. also took over the Nordheimer Piano Co, and in later years produced pianos under the Nordheimer name. Over the years, Heintzman produced pianos were sold under several brands names, and Heintzman also sold pianos produced for them by other piano manufacturers. Heintzman's top pianos were produced under the "Heintzman & Company" brand, with the "Gerhard Heintzman" brand being next, then the "Nordheimer" brand. Brands that were produced for them, and sold with a "From Heintzman & Company" decal were Gerhard, Weber, Stevenson.

And so, if this information is correct, I suppose one would conclude that after 1927, the Nordheimer piano was not the best piano that Heintzman made - its quality level was two steps below "Heintzman & Company" brand pianos.

Here's a summary of what I think can be concluded from the above quote from wikipeida:

"Nordheimer" name brand:
before 1927: of the highest quality

after 1927:
"Heintzman & Company" brand pianos: best quality pianos
"Gerhard Heintzman" brand pianos: second-best level of quality pianos
"Nordheimer" brand: the third-best level of quality.

Is my conclusion incorrect?

Do you find this to be the case Rod, that Nordheimer's built before 1927 are better quality than those built after 1927? Or do you find that all Nordheimer's where built to top-quality standards regardless of the year they were built?

Second related question: When considering Heintzman or Nordheimer pianos from the earlier part of the 20th century is 1927 an important date to be aware? (i.e. best to find one made before 1927) Or are all Heintzman and Nordheimer pianos, no matter what date they were made, generally considered to be of excellent quality?

Thank you

Mike088 #1328919 12/19/09 10:22 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Hello Mike,

Nice to have a chat with you on the phone the other day.

The Heintzman & Co. Line of instruments were usually the uprights and grand’s produced with the patented agraffe bridge. This was a very expensive way to cast a piano plate, and then drill each hole at 7 degrees off TDC. Here are some samples photos of this bridge........

http://picasaweb.google.com/silverwoodpianos/HeintzmanCoPatentedAgraffeBridge#

The Gerhard/ Nordheimer lines were manufactured in the traditional way, with the nickel plated pressure bar, instead of the casted agraffe bar. Also, these two lines would not have been fitted with the upright sostenuto assembly. So think of it like these two lines did not have all the options that the Heintzman & Co. Line did. The production values would have been the same; it would have been the same workforce that built the instruments. I have a Nordheimer grand here from 1943, and the quality of build is the same as the 20’s.

The quality of piano building in Canada began to drop in the 50’s with the influx of the first Japanese instruments to land here.

It is always nice to find an A & S Nordheimer, (made by the two brothers Albert and Samuel), but these are a rare commodity now-a-days. This was a very early company (1844). Nordheimer is the oldest name in Canadian music history.

Gerhard Heintzman, who was originally a cabinet maker that switched over, there is not much known about him, even from the remaining members of the Heintzman family that I know.

Silverwood Pianos #1333026 12/24/09 01:45 PM
M
Mike088 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks Dan for this interesting information.
Merry Christmas!

Mike

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai es920 - record onto Android Smartphone
by big-vern - 10/21/20 04:51 AM
MP11SE in stock at bhphoto.com
by mivaldes - 10/20/20 10:35 PM
most common non ET temperaments in 2020?
by MartF - 10/20/20 08:56 PM
Why K.Kawai grand pianos are hard to find?
by tony3304 - 10/20/20 08:27 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,334
Posts3,015,661
Members98,961
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission