2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 36251, benkeys, 9 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Rickster
Thanks, RoMagister and Morodiene!

ROMagister, you are on to something here… yes, the thumb under to span an entire octave is exactly my problem.
Rick

Then go thumb over.

Just as thumb under is good for slow legato scales but thumb over is necessary for fast scales, thumb over is needed for fast arpeggios. Watch closely when a good pianist rattles off fast arpeggios - they might say they are doing TU but if you watch you'll see they are not.

TO arpeggios are harder than TO scales but the principle is the same.

By the way, this is one of the problems with the incremental speed up method. If you start slow you'll have no problem doing these TU, but as you speed up you'll come to a point where it doesn't work anymore.

If the span is the problem, you might look into what chang describes as the cartwheel method. I can't vouch for this one as I haven't used it myself. TO is described by chang but is well known by most pianists. cartwheel seems to be chang's term.

gotta go practice
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Gyro
The wording of your question reveals
a fundamental misunderstanding about
playing.

There certainly is a misunderstanding!

but in piano music a 4-16 note
figure immediately signals that
rubato treatment is required,

Ah!!! I see what the misunderstanding is. No, it's not the arpeggion that is the problem. It's ANYTIME the music gets difficult that you are allowed to claim rubato and play it how you want.

PS that is supposed to be irony but sadly it often is true instead.

gotta go practice
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Gyro
Yes to all three questions. If you're
asking this, you have no real
understanding about playing the piano.

What cheek coming from someone I'm convinced has no real understanding about anything real on Planet Earth. The insolence of the willfully ignorant is insufferable.

Steven

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by sotto voce
The insolence of the willfully ignorant is insufferable.

Oooooo - I wanna steal this quote sometime smile I promise attribution laugh

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
PS I haven't downloaded them to see, but this page is supposed to have videos of TO and TU.

http://www.pianopractice.org/

gotta go practice
F
F
Slow practice is always essential, but I've found that when you need very fast speed, you also have to practice getting your hands in position quickly. An excellent teacher suggested the following method (not as a stand alone method, but one practice technique among many). Play the first few notes as quickly as possible, just building very fast speed for only 3 notes if necessary. Then add another note. Alternatively, play the first few notes, and then chunk the next few together. Then play them all together. In these small chunks you aren't really thinking about the notes consciously but getting your muscle to move quickly and accurately. It's important not to chunk up the notes so that you avoid the hard jumps. For instance, if you have a thumb under or 3rd to 4th finger jump, they have to be included in a chunk. I hope that makes sense.

As for Gyro, maybe if he is ignored he will just go away.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
Chopin was never concerned if his pupils left a gap in legato as the thumb went under - the flow was more important.

Great insight. thumb

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Rick,

Knowing (or perhaps exploiting the convenient false belief) that I am too old to learn proper technique, I resort to tricks. For a major chord, say, C major, it is fastest for me to play it in a modified hand-over-hand way, starting on the second C on the keyboard, like this:

LH: C G E
RH: G C E G
LH: C E G
RH: C E G C
All this with pedal down.

Here's why. First, my teacher is a strict constructionist when it comes to the low interval limit, which means he will rap my knuckles severely if I play an interval smaller than an octave in the lowest octave, or smaller than a fifth in the next, with pedal down. This means 1 5 10 is a good way to start, and fortunately with a bit of pivoting I can reach the tenth.

For hand-over-hand, I think I get best speed if I minimize the number of hand-over movements, which means cover more real estate on the keyboard with each hand position. That's why I play 4 notes with the RH. However, my LH is not at a good angle in the middle or upper reaches of the keyboard to play 4 notes, so I settle for 3.

Anyway, this may not be pretty, and it has the disadvantage that you are not playing the same notes in each octave with LH or RH; but for me it is easy to play.

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

J
J
I think you might like this one...very fast harp-like arpeggios on piano:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdg_xLqbfAc&feature=PlayList&p=B64F6BB0AD203969&index=7

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
Wow, this is an older thread that got resurrected.

Thanks for that YT video, JohnnyVegas. I did enjoy that very much and got to see and hear a wonderful professional pianist, Oksana Kolesnikova. She makes it look so easy.

And, I reckon I lost track of this thread and didn’t realize that Gyro had come down on me so hard. Based on my original question about how to play really fast arpeggios he concludes that I don’t know a damn thing about music. Well, Gyro, you’re right, my friend, I don’t guess I do. Do you? Fact is I’ve never, ever heard any recordings from you on these PW forums, ever. I’d honestly like to hear you play. Maybe you can teach me something about music.

But, in the spirit of Christmas, I’m going to let by-gone’s be by-gone’s.

Thanks to Steven, and all who defended me against the infamous Gyro.

Take care, and Merry Christmas!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
If you have a Czerny 40 exercises handy. the 3rd exercise is on ascending and descending arpeggio's, left and right hand. There are other studies in there on arpeggio's but I haven't gotten to them yet.

Originally Posted by 4evr88keys
Chopin was never concerned if his pupils left a gap in legato as the thumb went under - the flow was more important.

Great insight. thumb
To clarify, what Chopin is saying is don't ulnar or radial deviate but glide smoothly keeping the hand and forearm aligned.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I'm curious: when Gyro types at his computer, does he have coins on the backs of his hands?

M
M
Originally Posted by 4evr88keys

Great insight. thumb
To clarify, what Chopin is saying is don't ulnar or radial deviate but glide smoothly keeping the hand and forearm aligned.

Which if you are doing multiple octaves means you'll need to lean to the side to keep the forearm and wrist perpendicular to the keys. It's the twisting that causes trouble.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
N
N

Burgeoning pianist
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
was a fun link so I didn't mind the zombie thread

D
D
hi
that was my problem too
the solution for me was this
dont flex the thumb under palm
play c.e.g lik a chord 4 octave slow motion then increase gradually you have to use arm motion and shoulder muscles
then play the c.e.g in four octave very fast
never play it slowly because it is dangerous for thumb tendons
thank you

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission