2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 6 invisible), 1,935 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Congratulations!

Yes, 6000 dollars is about 50 years' worth of tunings. shocked You made a good choice!

Semi-pro pianist
Tuesdays 5-8 at Vince's West Sacramento, California
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by snazzyplayer
It's like my 425 lb Hammond B-3.

There's just something about all that mass and wood and tactile feedback that makes you feel connected with the soul of the instrument.

And you'll feel really connected with the instrument when your back goes out while schlepping it somewhere and 400+lbs of wood and soul land on you.

Now that's REAL tactile feedback! ;-)

Last edited by dewster; 12/17/09 08:17 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Congrats LS35A!

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by OldFingers

I don't understand why it is so, but DPs suffer from a lack of dynamic range.

Not all DPs, only those selling at reasonable prices. The trouble is that sound systems with the required dynamic range are very, very expensive and not the kind of thing you can sell to a consumer, they have to be set up in the listening room by a pro and in most cases the room will need "treatment" At this level of audio perfection one does not "buy a set of speakers", one "hires an installation".

Good DPs themselves are easy to make. In fact the very first sampling DP ever made back in 1984 (the K250) was able to pass a blindfold listening test against a concert grand piano. The listeners were musicians. But,... They used a sound system that cost $40,000. and those were "1984 dollars". Today it would cost $100K

I'm pretty sure that if one were to connect a $100K sound system to a lowly Yamaha P155 it would sound better then most of the acoustic pianos in the world.

That said to get "good enough" sound one need spend only in the range of a "handfull of thousands". But even is this to much for most DP owners. So the reason for the lack of dynamic range, I'm sure is just economics. The technology existed in the 80s,

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dewster
It's like my 425 lb Hammond B-3.

There's just something about all that mass and wood and tactile feedback that makes you feel connected with the soul of the instrument.

And you'll feel really connected with the instrument when your back goes out while schlepping it somewhere and 400+lbs of wood and soul land on you.

Now that's REAL tactile feedback! ;-)

Not at all...this little piggy stays home. I may be insane, but not that insane.

I have a Yamaha CP-300, and two Yamaha P-85's for gigging, and they fulfill all my needs for stage use.

No Eric, the Avant Grand is for my own enjoyment (or my guests), just like my Hammond B-3.

I will, however, take a good look at the new stage pianos from Yamaha.

The C1 looks very interesting, as does the C5.

Snazzy

Semper Gumby: Always flexible \:^)
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LS35A
the just over four grand Yamaha P560 upright sounded MORE LIKE A PIANO and played MORE LIKE A PIANO. Six grand buys a lot of tunings and moving.

So I bought the M560, in Cherry, Queen Anne style.

Yep, I've got to admit...you can't get that sound in a digital. grin

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ChrisA
Good DPs themselves are easy to make. In fact the very first sampling DP ever made back in 1984 (the K250) was able to pass a blindfold listening test against a concert grand piano. The listeners were musicians. But,... They used a sound system that cost $40,000. and those were "1984 dollars". Today it would cost $100K

Well, you can quickly train your ear to easily hear the defects in modern mid-level DPs. If a DP jumped out of the bushes at some musicians back in 1984, they might be overcome by the technical prowess, and their untrained ears might not immediately notice these defects.

Originally Posted by ChrisA
I'm pretty sure that if one were to connect a $100K sound system to a lowly Yamaha P155 it would sound better then most of the acoustic pianos in the world.

Like a good sound system, good headphones can bring out both the good and the bad in a DP. The bass was definitely improved, but I could easily hear looping on the P155 with my AKGs, even with a drummer pounding my brains out at the local Sam Ash. If you played a flurry of notes and didn't let it decay for too long I might miss it though.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by turandot
the just over four grand Yamaha P560 upright sounded MORE LIKE A PIANO and played MORE LIKE A PIANO. Six grand buys a lot of tunings and moving.

So I bought the M560, in Cherry, Queen Anne style.

Yep, I've got to admit...you can't get that sound in a digital. grin

Of course you can't...anymore than you can get the digital to slowly drift out of pitch with itself and anything else played with it. grin

You must have ears of iron, or just be able to shut out the tuning discrepancies that eventually appear...and they will appear. eek

I'm made of weaker stuff, I guess...I expect the instrument to sound in pitch all the time.

Shucks, where did my mother go wrong. cry

Snazzy

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Thanks for letting me bore you. Your posts got me thinking about these things.

It was a pleasure reading about your piano experience. I suppose the problem has to do with everyone's perception of sound, which is such a subjective and personal experience. It's no wonder that we crave so many different qualities from our pianos.

More details later, but for now, short version is I'm thrilled to death. Can't wait to get my Yamaha P560!!!!

It is thrilling when you finally make the decision. Congratulations.

Aspiring Retirement Home Lounge Pianist
D
D
Great link snazzy! thanks! Chick Corea is my favorite musician, and has been for a long time, way before I decided to learn to play piano. It's also cool that he grew up in Chelsea Mass, which is where I live now!

I thought he was a Fender Rhodes guy, no?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
deburn,

The Avant Grand has a super Rhodes sound, and coupled with the great action, is a real joy to play.

I have a Rhodes 73 I am restoring...the action is the worst part about Rhodes pianos; most of them were not much fun to play; very uneven unless you had an expert go through it and fix things.

The action in mine is by Pratt Read, later ones were made by Wurlitzer.

The Rhodes sound on the Avant Grand is far more controllable...that's probably why Chick fell in love with it, although he has been endorsing Yamaha products for some time now.

Have you heard Chick play live?

Snazzy

I didn't realise the Avant included non-acoustic piano sounds also.

I'll have to add it to my Christmas wish-list. wink

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
I don't like the compression of dynamic range in dp sound.
You can find many faults in a DP (relative to an acoustic). But I can easily tolerate them all ... except for the dynamics. That's the thing I miss most in a DP. Where's the fortissimo?

I can crank up the volume to bring up the loud end. But the soft end comes upward with it. The range just is not there.

Originally Posted by KAWAI James
... the Avant ...
I'll have to add it to my Christmas wish-list.
An AG for Christmas? I guess your Santa is MUCH better than mine! smile

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

You might want to brace your floor in advance - Santa might make that 400+lb wish come true, and then where would you be?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
LS35 is now enlightening the members of the piano forum with the news of his purchase. Since a Yamaha furniture console trumps any and all digital pianos, it seems appropriate that he move to that higher ground. grin

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Cheers,
James
x

James, the Rhodes sound on the Avant Grand is a knockout. thumb

One of the many advantages of a digital piano...of course, you already know that. wink

Best money I ever spent on an instrument.

Snazzy

L
LS35A Offline OP
OP Offline
L
LS35 is now enlightening the members of the piano forum with the news of his purchase. Since a Yamaha furniture console trumps any and all digital pianos, it seems appropriate that he move to that higher ground. grin

I had a digital piano and was dissatisfied with it, wondered if anyone else felt the same way and had any experiences or suggestions to share. So I started this thread which has been very popular and very helpful to me (which is nice).

I had an interesting shopping experience buying an acoustic piano so I posted that in the piano forum. There are lots of threads in that forum about piano dealers and how people do business, and prices people pay for pianos.

You posted a snarky comment in that threat, now in this thread. WHY DON'T YOU CRAWL BACK UNDER A ROCK YOU NASTY LITTLE CREEP?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

You posted a snarky comment in that threat, now in this thread. WHY DON'T YOU CRAWL BACK UNDER A ROCK YOU NASTY LITTLE CREEP?

I was not replying to your comments at all.

Shouting (using all caps) and calling someone names is rather pathetic (as well as impolite and childish), but I suppose it takes all kinds to make a forum.

May I take this opportunity to offer my congratulations on your new piano. thumb

Snazzy

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Some of the things I have so enjoyed about this forum have been the helpful comments, insightful reviews and impassioned but polite argument about the things that drove us here in the first place. Please let's not spoil that.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission