2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Nguyen Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hello everyone.

I’m sure this topics and subjects have been discussed before, and I have read many of them during my search. But somehow, I just can’t seem to make a decision. So after about 3 months or so of studying, researching, testing etc… here I am again. Hopefully you’ll lead me to that decision.

I'm looking to get a DP in a few months, by Feb or latest March. I really want it now to take advantages of the holiday season’s sales and discounts, but I’m still in the researching, deciding mode. Plus, I’d like to wait for that year end bonus and see if I can really go for what I want or have to stay within a budget. Anyway, I’m torn between the CLP-340 and CLP-380. The CLP-340 is best for the money, I have learned. But the CLP-380 is an incredible instrument. If CLP-340PE is around 3K and CLP-380PE is around 4.3K, give or take 1 – 2 hundred:
1- Are these prices reasonable? Please refrain from swaying me away from the Polished Ebony finish. I can imagine what my living is like with this PE among other furniture already. So, I would sacrifice and go down a model but I really want to stick with this PE finish.
2- Is the 1.3K difference justified?
3- If I can afford the CLP-380, should I go for it? What about long term, say, if I’m going to upgrade in 5 years, would it make more sense with the CLP-340 instead?
4- And finally, how is the CLP-380 compared to the HP-207? I have heard HP-207 functions/buttons aren’t user friendly. If you own one, is it true? How about its sound? I do like HP-207 feel but for around $3,700 it doesn’t look as well made as the CLPs. I know it’s an incredible instrument, but its look doesn’t do it much justice.

The last time I was at the shop, I didn’t have enough time to experiment and explore its functions/buttons extensively. I did some very extensive testing and playing with the CLPs though. This could be a sign that I’m leaning more toward the CLPs. Yes, I can visit the shop and again but it’s an hour away. And every time I go there, I end up spending the whole day. My wife didn’t like it the last time I was there. She said I forget to come home for super (maybe she really means laundry & cleaning the house. It’s my Saturday chores). Besides, I’m not that experienced yet (only been learning piano for about 10 months). Your expertise is definitely better and more helpful than my own knowledge, research, study and test. Hopefully, next time I go there, I’ll come home with one of the above.

I value and appreciate your critical/honest opinions.

Thank you.

Nguyen - Student Pianist
Nguyen,

Imagine that folks on this forum said "you must go with piano X", and you bought it, only to find that you got tired of the sound or feel after a while. You went back to the shop, played piano Y extensively, and preferred it. And kicked yourself hard....several times. The reality is that you will find a whole range of opinions on those two or three pianos, all of them good instruments.

So it boils down to your personal preference and financial means. Go and play each of them lots, think on it, and enjoy whichever you buy, knowing that it was built by a top manufacturer, and will likely last you many years.

It is easy to get hung up on the technology, and having the biggest sample set, greatest number of velocity layers, and so on. (I'm feeling fatigued already, just thinking about it). But it's really about your playing pleasure, which no one can know as well as you.

Happy hunting,

Jonathan

N
Nguyen Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by 10fingers
Nguyen,

Imagine that folks on this forum said "you must go with piano X", and you bought it, only to find that you got tired of the sound or feel after a while. You went back to the shop, played piano Y extensively, and preferred it. And kicked yourself hard....several times. The reality is that you will find a whole range of opinions on those two or three pianos, all of them good instruments.

So it boils down to your personal preference and financial means. Go and play each of them lots, think on it, and enjoy whichever you buy, knowing that it was built by a top manufacturer, and will likely last you many years.

It is easy to get hung up on the technology, and having the biggest sample set, greatest number of velocity layers, and so on. (I'm feeling fatigued already, just thinking about it). But it's really about your playing pleasure, which no one can know as well as you.

Happy hunting,

Jonathan

Jonathan, thanks very much for your advice. I know what you mean. I was hoping to hear if the 1K+ difference between the CLP-340 & CLP-380 is reasonable and worth it (at my level of playing - elementary/beginner) if I can afford to move up. For the HP-207, I have read here and learned that some users think it’s not very user friendly. Hopefully some HP-207 owners will chime in and give their 2 cents.

I started my piano purchase research through a lot of Amazon reviews. I almost made a YDP-160 purchase, then stumbled upon Piano World, and the rest is history. I can’t say enough how much information and help this forum has provided. Without you folks, I’m now probably an unhappy YDP-160 owner. It's an credible instrument, just a bit too light for my feel and touch.

I think I have done enough study. It’s this last hurdle that I have to overcome: If I don’t commit, then it’s a waste of energy and money. If I commit, and upgrade in 5 yrs, is it worth it going that high? It’s indeed a very expensive hobby/journey.

I'm very grateful for your advice, and again, thank you.

Nguyen - Student Pianist
S
S
The new Yamaha CLP series is based on the pure CF sampling of the CFIIIS concert grand. It sounds fine up till B5 note.

Please dun forget to test the C6 octave onwards. You will hear a very thin and unrealistic/artificial piano tone.

If u dun mind, then buy. Else, I thought i just let u know, just in case you buy and regret later.

Do this :
Run a chromatic scale from the low notes to the last notes to see if u really like the grand piano 1 and 2 sounds if u hv a chance to test it at the store. bring a earphone along for better clarity.

Last edited by sid4iwpa; 12/18/09 01:37 PM.
T
T
I believe there is no difference in the user-friendliness between the DPs that you are considering once you have used any of them for a short while. Anyway, this is not an important criterion. Its sound and keyboard - and in that price range it's up to your taste and the amount of money you can spent.

You wrote that you have heard that the CLP340 is the best for the money. I tend to disagree. The CLP340 lacks for instance string resonance which I find important. The CLP340 should not be compared to the HP207, but to the HP-203 (which actually has string resonance). But actually, the first decision should be wheter you like the brighter sound of the Yamahas compared to the warmer sound of the Roland DPs.

P
P
Hi Nguyen,

Of course I don´t know what your reasons are to buy a DP instead of an acoustic. Maybe you thoroughly thought it over (or maybe you actually have an acoustic as well).
But in any case, if you´re actually considering something expensive like a CLP380, then you could also consider to buy a good second hand acoustic (which should be available below 4k). I know that many here will disagree, but I am convinced that a decent acoustic is always way better than any DP.

Also mind that the CLP340-380 have a very light action (I have the CLP370 myself), and I would recommend that you also try the Roland HP207, which seems to be heavier. Unfortunately, I did not know that the HP207 had heavier action, or I would have tried it (I did try a few cheaper Rolands but didn´t like them as much as the Yammies).

hope this helps.

N
Nguyen Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by sid4iwpa
Do this :
Run a chromatic scale from the low notes to the last notes to see if u really like the grand piano 1 and 2 sounds if u hv a chance to test it at the store. bring a earphone along for better clarity.

Thanks sid4iwpa, I will print this and bring with me next time I visit the shop. I’ll test as you suggest with my headphone too. I didn’t know this. It’s definitely not cool a company of Yamaha credibility would let something like this falls through. Maybe it’s something only advanced pianists like you can tell? I’m sure I won’t be able to tell. Do you have experience with the HP-207? What do you think of that instrument?

Originally Posted by trolls99
You wrote that you have heard that the CLP340 is the best for the money. I tend to disagree. The CLP340 lacks for instance string resonance which I find important. The CLP340 should not be compared to the HP207, but to the HP-203 (which actually has string resonance). But actually, the first decision should be wheter you like the brighter sound of the Yamahas compared to the warmer sound of the Roland DPs.

Thanks trolls99. The user-friendly thing is actually others’ opinions I have come across here. I guess you’re right, if we use it for a while, it’s a non-issue. Same with CLP340 best for the money. I also learned that through reading others’ opinions through our threads here. I agree with you, I have tried a CLP-270 and string resonance is nice but I thought at my level, it’s not that important yet. What’s your opinion between the CLP-380 and HP-207?

Originally Posted by pieper
Hi Nguyen,
Of course I don´t know what your reasons are to buy a DP instead of an acoustic. Maybe you thoroughly thought it over (or maybe you actually have an acoustic as well).

Also mind that the CLP340-380 have a very light action (I have the CLP370 myself), and I would recommend that you also try the Roland HP207, which seems to be heavier. Unfortunately, I did not know that the HP207 had heavier action, or I would have tried it (I did try a few cheaper Rolands but didn´t like them as much as the Yammies).
hope this helps.

Hi Pieper. Thank you for your suggestions. No, I don’t have an acoustic but I can’t get an acoustic yet. For the time being, I can only practice at night when my wife and my son (16 months) are asleep. So I can only get a DP with headphone. I will definitely try the HP-207.

Thanks everyone very much for your time and kind advices. This is so helpful. I just hope I get a DP that I can be happy for the next several years.

Just one last favor to ask and I promise I won’t drag this on anymore. In your personal opinion, your personal taste, what would you pick between the CLP-340, CLP-380 and HP-207, and why?

Don’t worry about me and my feel and touch, I will try that out for myself, I just really like to know what’s yours.

Nguyen - Student Pianist
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Is there a reason why you are only looking at the console style DPs? You seem to be concerned with the price. You pay a lot for the furniture that is built around the DP. For example your HP207 has a nice key action but the same exact action can be had for $2,200 in the RD700GX.

To complicate matters more, it looks like Yamaha is coming out with three new DPs just about in your time frame two the CP1, CP5 and CP50. (prices from $5K to $1,700) The CP5 seems to be what you'd want, natural wood keys and a new Yamaha sound engine. Available early 2010.

Last edited by ChrisA; 12/19/09 11:20 PM.
T
T
Originally Posted by ChrisA
Is there a reason why you are only looking at the console style DPs? You seem to be concerned with the price. You pay a lot for the furniture that is built around the DP. For example your HP207 has a nice key action but the same exact action can be had for $2,200 in the RD700GX.

To complicate matters more, it looks like Yamaha is coming out with three new DPs just about in your time frame two the CP1, CP5 and CP50. (prices from $5K to $1,700) The CP5 seems to be what you'd want, natural wood keys and a new Yamaha sound engine. Available early 2010.

Hi Chris, if Nyugen will only use it with the headphone then these are good suggestions, though the set up of the pedals may be a bit of a hassle.

N
Nguyen Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by Tony Lau

Hi Chris, if Nyugen will only use it with the headphone then these are good suggestions, though the set up of the pedals may be a bit of a hassle.

Thanks Chris & Tony. Right now, I have a Viscount Classico 50, a very old console a friend gave me a few years back. It has weighted keys but they feel the same from lowest to highest, sounds like crab and I can’t do much dynamics. I also think some of the keys aren’t in pitch but I’m not 100% because I’m not that experienced and this is the only one I have practiced on for the last 10 months or so. I don’t have anything else to compare it with. My wife, though doesn’t know other aspects of a DP we do here, really likes its console look. Same with me, I guess I’m old school and sure won’t be happy with a portable, contemporary look in my living room. So I don’t have much choice but to get another console even if it means a few extra hundred more. I have done a lot of study already and I don’t think I can do anymore. I’ll stick with the 3 I mentioned.

Nguyen - Student Pianist
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I am always a little amazed when I read accounts where folks have been given prices very near wholesale cost on a product and they are still out there asking if the prices are good? Were the prices dropped percipitously or so unprofessionally that you were left thinking there was more on the table?

Your givens in your OP were a CLP340PE for $3k and CLP380PE for $4.3k. In our market these would be way way below market and untennable for a dealer.

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
Work for west coast dealer for Yamaha, Schimmel, Bosendorfer, Wm. Knabe.
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Marty Flinn
Your givens in your OP were a CLP340PE for $3k and CLP380PE for $4.3k. In our market these would be way way below market and untennable for a dealer.

untennable? Maybe for a low volume dealer. I was talking with a sales guy at the local Guitar Center. He said his manager was approving sales at $40 above cost. Some even below cost if they are forced to price match. They are making a ton of money. This time of year they literally have customers waiting at the registers to pay. It's hard to find a parking space at the store.

If the product you are selling is in limited supply then it makes sense not to let one go cheap. But if you are selling $1,000 keyboards that are mass produced then it is better to make $40 than let a customer walk. It's $40 you didn't have before.

Last edited by ChrisA; 12/20/09 04:11 PM.
N
Nguyen Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I am always a little amazed when I read accounts where folks have been given prices very near wholesale cost on a product and they are still out there asking if the prices are good? Were the prices dropped percipitously or so unprofessionally that you were left thinking there was more on the table?

Mr. Flinn, I appreciate your time reading my post and giving your 2 cents but I’m sadden and angry of your perceived assumption. What make you think I know these prices are near wholesale or below market? Why would I ask something if I already the answer? I’m not a salesman nor do I work in the musical instrument industry. I have only been a member of Piano World for about 2 months. All my search and study have been through these threads. I am an absolute beginner starting my Piano journey around last April. What makes you think, or assume, I know these prices are good, ok, or not good? I’m angry because you have no respect for other novice, newbie like me. I come here for advices, if you don’t think I need any, please kindly stay zip.I have been enjoying others’ opinions until your post. Now this thread sucks and it makes me sick I even started it. Please look at the below and find the reason for my question. These are the prices I compiled from 2 Piano World Forum “Prices Paid” threads. I asked because the quotes that I got aren’t even the Median price according to prices others paid for theirs. You can argue that people post bogus prices, but to assume I know what you know is ignorant. Next time you post something, please think it through carefully first. Thanks very much

Roland HP-207 Mahogany 2,700 Mattoon, IL
Roland HP-207 2,700 New Jersey
Roland HP-207 Mahogany 2,800 SF Bay Area, CA
Roland HP-207 2,899 New Mexico/Texas
Roland HP-207 Mahogany 2,950 Austin, TX
Roland HP-207 3,000 Providence, RI
Roland HP-207 Satin Black 3,080 Wisconsin US
Roland HP-207 3,100 San Francisco, CA
Roland HP-207 3,229 Toledo, OH to Ann Arbor, MI
Roland HP-207 Satin Black 3,230 Fairfax, VA
Roland HP-207 Satin Black 3,700 Schaumburg, IL

Yamaha CLP 340 Mahogany 2,250 Washington, DC metro area
Yamaha CLP 340 Rosewood 2,275 San Jose, CA
Yamaha CLP 340 Mahogany 2,350 Richmond, BC
Yamaha CLP 340 Rosewood 2,450 Salt Lake, UT
Yamaha CLP 340 Polished Ebony 2,550 Nashua, NH
Yamaha CLP 340 Rosewood 2,700 Central, NJ
Yamaha CLP 340 Polished Ebony 3,100 NC
Yamaha CLP 340 Polished Ebony 3,149 Chicago, IL Area

Yamaha CLP 380 Polished Ebony 3,800 California, USA
Yamaha CLP 380 Polished Ebony 4,500 Seatle, WA
Yamaha CLP 380 Polished Ebony 4,850 Southern CA
Yamaha CLP 380 Polished Ebony 5,400 SOUTH FLORIDA

Nguyen - Student Pianist
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Nguyen,

I am very sorry that my comments have angered you. That was not my intention at all. My intention was to point out that the saleman who communicated those prices to you failed to communicate well. You were not at fault. It was the method that failed to indicate how good they were. I did not disrespect you. Before you completely go off on me, you might want to re-read my post.

I, sir, am not ignorant. This is my business, and I know it well. I know what the wholesale costs are and what the general selling prices are. I sell Clavinovas weekly.

When it comes to prices paid posted on the internet beware. All is not as it seems. Regions are different. Dates are critical as wholesale and selling prices do change and nearly always up. A price paid last January is not relevant to those shopping today. Posted prices often don't include pertinant details regarding trade-ins, discontinued models, floor models, dealers cashing out and packing it in, etc. If internet price paid postings are your only source for the prices you listed you might visit your local Yamaha Clavinova dealer and check out what they are willing to do for you on price.

Best of luck in your shopping. I am sorry you misinterpreted my comments.

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Chris,
Guitar Center does not sell Clavinova product. Guitar Center's business model will not support piano sales. It never has. The MI (musical instrument) business i.e. GC and Sam Ash is a completely different business, customer, and product mix.

N
Nguyen Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I would like to apologize to members of PW who may be reading this post. I don’t mean to drag this on but there are a few things I’d like to clear the air with Mr. Marty Flinn.

Nguyen,
I am very sorry that my comments have angered you. That was not my intention at all. My intention was to point out that the saleman who communicated those prices to you failed to communicate well. You were not at fault. It was the method that failed to indicate how good they were. I did not disrespect you. Before you completely go off on me, you might want to re-read my post.

Mr. Flinn, please go back and read your first post. Put yourself in my shoes for a moment and see how you see it.

What message do you get from the above? This is how I see it: “Are you out of your mind? The quotes that you get are near wholesale, below market value and you’re still out here asking if it’s good? I can’t believe these people? What do they want from us, FREEBIES? Amazing…!” Please help me make the highlight phrases look and sound respectful, professional and considerate? I can not for the life of me find a way to do it.

If you’re still not sure why I created this thread and posted my question, I’ll explain again.

A friend gave me a Viscount Classico 50 a few years ago. It’s been in a corner of my living room until around March. I bought an Alfred Adult Book and started self-learning to see if I’ll commit. Around late August, I was sure that I will keep up, started searching to upgrade, for dynamics improvement, recording etc… I found out Piano World during my search and spent hours studying, putting together important information I think helpful. This is when I found out my piano is a digital, not just an electronic piano I always thought it was, just so you know how much I know about Piano. I spent time studying others’ threads and suggestions, visited 2 piano dealers in my areas to test, as everyone suggests, and come up with a few quotes. I finally decided that it’s time to get over my last hurdle/fear, that I don’t want to end up with a not reasonably priced Piano and will be unhappy for the next few years; I created the thread and posted my question.

If you go back and read my original post again, you will see that, I asked if these prices are reasonable. I didn’t ask if they are good or best prices. Why? Because comparing my quotes and the information that I have gathered, they don’t look too reasonable except for the CLP-380. If I’m a complete novice, don’t have any hand-on experience with DP, only know about them for about 3 months based on paper, have no clue about their reasonable prices, then what do you think I should do? Is posting and asking a simple question about reasonable prices so outrageous that you have to give such strong comments?

When it comes to prices paid posted on the internet beware. All is not as it seems. Regions are different. Dates are critical as wholesale and selling prices do change and nearly always up. A price paid last January is not relevant to those shopping today.

I understand prices are going up and down, especially in our state of the economy, it’s more likely up than down. That’s why I asked, to gauge others’ experience and hopefully gather some expertise. If the only sources I have are the internet, a book, and this community, then what do you suggest I do? Fly over to CA and consult you? These are the only information I have to compare with. I read a book about piano purchase tips for dummies, and there’s a section stating that, Piano Dealers need to make about 40% of profit on their sales in order to make a living a stay in business. I understand this, I understand your side of the business, that doesn’t mean I will pay and buy a Piano at whatever prices you quote.

Posted prices often don't include pertinant details regarding trade-ins, discontinued models, floor models, dealers cashing out and packing it in, etc. If internet price paid postings are your only source for the prices you listed you might visit your local Yamaha Clavinova dealer and check out what they are willing to do for you on price.

Again, your assumption is off. The prices I put together in my list are PW Prices Paid threads, not any other internet sites I don’t know or not familiar with. If you go through the 2 PW Prices Paid threads, you will find that I only picked the ones that are brand new purchases. I left out any posts disclosing that it’s used, floor-model or the like. If some of them aren’t new, then the owners may have forgotten to disclose as such. I have done my homework, read a book for dummies, read everything I can get my hands on here, and to suggest that I just post a question without knowing what I’m doing isn’t inconsiderate, then what is?

Best of luck in your shopping. I am sorry you misinterpreted my comments.

Again, please go back and read your first post, especially the phrases that I highlight. Then kindly enlighten me; point me to my misinterpretation? Once in awhile we screw up and assume that everyone is like everyone else. It’s good to just admit than trying to beat around the bushes. I wonder why I let it bothers me so much listening to a guy working for Yamaha giving me advice/comment on buying a Yamaha product anyway. Isn’t that’s naïve of me, if not downright dumb?

Nguyen - Student Pianist
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

untennable? Maybe for a low volume dealer. I was talking with a sales guy at the local Guitar Center. He said his manager was approving sales at $40 above cost. Some even below cost if they are forced to price match. They are making a ton of money. This time of year they literally have customers waiting at the registers to pay. It's hard to find a parking space at the store.

If the product you are selling is in limited supply then it makes sense not to let one go cheap. But if you are selling $1,000 keyboards that are mass produced then it is better to make $40 than let a customer walk. It's $40 you didn't have before.

Chris,

The only way to get a Clav or a Roland HP is through the piano retailer network. You might find a grey-market clav on eBay without US warranty, but good luck with that purchase.

It's true that it's very hard to compare prices on digital instruments sold exclusively by piano retailers. Territorial restrictions choke off the information. OTOH, there are pluses to these models that should not be overlooked. Warranties are usually longer and more extensive. In-home service is often available. Piano retail guys are more able to answer questions about functions and demo all functions for you. GC guys often don't know where the power switch is on different models.

Don't trust the info you heard about selling at a loss. Sales guys at GC have absolutely no idea what the true cost of any item is to GC. You have to be pretty far up the chain of command to know that stuff. It's true that GC is busy at this time of year though. Whether they are making a ton of money is another question.

Nguyen,

Many posters here have commented on the price inflexibility of the Boston area authorized Roland dealer. Some of those posters have gone across the border to a state with the initials N.H.

The scuffle between you and Marty seems to stem from your price question in your opening post. If you have been offered those prices by an actual dealer, Marty's message is that those prices are exceptionally good. If you have not been offered those prices, but instead have speculated that those prices are out there because of price posts here, Marty's message is that that actual prices offered you may be higher.

The only possible answer to your question about whether the price difference in the two Clavs is worth it comes from how highly you value what the one offers that the other doesn't. If you haven't put in some time to play them and compare them, that's what you need to do to find the answer to your question.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Nguyen,

I will withdraw from your thread after this post. I am sorry I have been unhelpful to your needs. Others, perhaps, can do better. William has given you some good advice.

Larry Fine’s Online Piano Buyer Guide shows his “estimated price” on the CLP340PE at $3900 and the CLP380PE at $6096 for your consideration. He does not “work” for Yamaha.

Much of your anger at me seems to have come from the fact that you have interpreted that I have disrespected you by my comments. In spite of your focus on this, you have referred to me as:
"Are you out of your mind?"
"..you have no respect..."
You have also referred to me as "ignorant" and "inconsiderate"
You suggest that I should "stay zip" [sic] (I read this as keep my mouth shut).
You also attempt to put words into my mouth that I did not write or intend.
This type of rethoric hardly helps your case. It is definitely not respectful.

Best of luck in your shopping.

Marty

N
Nguyen Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by turandot
[ The scuffle between you and Marty seems to stem from your price question in your opening post. If you have been offered those prices by an actual dealer, Marty's message is that those prices are exceptionally good. If you have not been offered those prices, but instead have speculated that those prices are out there because of price posts here, Marty's message is that that actual prices offered you may be higher.

Turandot, Thank you. I visited two dealers, one in the Boston area and the other one in southern New Hampshire. The Boston area one doesn’t carry Roland so I have to drive to N.H. to test. The quotes I get are real offers, except for the CLP-380, which the dealer would only give definitely answer if I commit to buy and I said no, I don’t want to commit to anything just yet. But through our discussions, I can tell I’d be able to get it around 4.3k - 4.5k. That’s why I state in my post “give or take a few hundred”, because I am 100%. Thanks again for your help. I will do another visit and I think I’ll decide this time. Regarding Mr. Flinn’s comments, I understand your point, but I’m just sadden why he has to use such tone and language? It can just be a simple line “Nguyen, you get incredible quotes, they are under market, near wholesale etc… If I were you I'd get in a heartbeat...” Wouldn’t that make everyone happy?

Nguyen - Student Pianist
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
"Turandot, Thank you. I visited two dealers, one in the Boston area and the other one in southern New Hampshire. The Boston area one doesn’t carry Roland so I have to drive to N.H. to test."

Steinert Hall on Boylston St. along the Common is the authorized Roland dealer. I'm surprised they don't have HP inventory. Maybe it's a moot point though since that is the dealer that some members have mentioned in terms of price inflexibility.

I assume the N.H. dealer you visited was Darrell's. They have a reputation for more flexibility.

Don't shed tears over the dustup with Marty. He'll get over it. grin Might not be a bad idea though to not use the vocabulaty that he cited.

N
Nguyen Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Nguyen,

I will withdraw from your thread after this post. I am sorry I have been unhelpful to your needs. Others, perhaps, can do better. William has given you some good advice.

I will do the same after this post, and let others form their own opinion. Plus, I have no intention for this thread to be in the front page anymore. It’s a shame others have to read this.

In spite of your focus on this, you have referred to me as:
"Are you out of your mind?"

This is how I interpret your comments, not referring you as such.

"..you have no respect..."

Again, this is how I interpret your comments.

You have also referred to me as "ignorant" and "inconsiderate"
You suggest that I should "stay zip" [sic] (I read this as keep my mouth shut).

I have written the above but you left out important facts. Here’s the original quote:

but to assume I know what you know is ignorant.

I’ll help you interpret this. “If you assume I know what you do, then you’re ignorant. If you don’t, then it does not apply to you. If it doesn’t apply to you, then why is it that I call you ignorant?

Another of my quote:
and to suggest that I just post a question without knowing what I’m doing isn’t inconsiderate, then what is?

I hope I don’t have to explain this but I will anyway, so others don’t think I’m disrespectful or unprofessional. If you aren’t assuming I have some basic knowledge about my question, then it doesn’t apply to you. But your message, tone and language suggest otherwise.

I come here for advices, if you don’t think I need any, please kindly stay zip.

I come to this place for help. A lot of folks here give helps on a daily basis. That’s why we have this wonderful place and these threads. If you can’t help or don’t have anything nice to say, then I would appreciate that you stay zip instead of making such comments that are degrading and disrespectful.

You also attempt to put words into my mouth that I did not write or intend. This type of rethoric hardly helps your case. It is definitely not respectful.

This is my favorite. I’m not bending or put words in your mouth. I only ask for your help trying to interpret/comprehend your comments. Let me ask you this. Can you use the same tone and kind of language with your love ones, your boss, your Pastor, or someone you respect and respect you for that matter? No? Why used it here, on me?

Nguyen - Student Pianist
N
Nguyen Offline OP
OP Offline
N
[Steinert Hall on Boylston St. along the Common is the authorized Roland dealer. I'm surprised they don't have HP inventory. Maybe it's a moot point though since that is the dealer that some members have mentioned in terms of price inflexibility.
I assume the N.H. dealer you visited was Darrell's. They have a reputation for more flexibility.
Don't shed tears over the dustup with Marty. He'll get over it. grin Might not be a bad idea though to not use the vocabulaty that he cited.

Thanks again. You seem to know the Boston area well. Were you originally from around here? I haven’t visited Steinert Hall. I only visited a Yamaha dealer here but they don’t have Roland. I will pay Steinert Hall a visit. I work in Downtown Boston so it should be just a quick walk. You see how much I know about music and Piano? LOL. Yes the one in N.H. is Darrell’s. It’s the closest one to Boston that has both Yamaha & Roland. You see turandot, without this thread, I would have to drive to NH every time I want to test a Roland, yet it’s right here in our backyard. For someone who just want to get a good DP within a budget for their kids without getting too technical, it might just be a quick question and done with. But for someone like me, who really cares what I’m going to get, you can’t imagine how helpful you guys are. I’m very thankful. I’ll walk over and test the Roland before Christmas. I apologize about the language thing. I’m sure people here have had enough so that would be it for me. And I don’t think I’ll start another thread again. It’s a really bad experience. I’m just really kicking myself for letting it gets to me, but it does. That was it though, promise.

Nguyen - Student Pianist
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I’m sure people here have had enough so that would be it for me. And I don’t think I’ll start another thread again. It’s a really bad experience. I’m just really kicking myself for letting it gets to me, but it does. That was it though, promise.

Nguyen,

No, no, absolutely not!

It's give and take here. People give you tips. You follow up by sharing your experience and giving your own insights. Some have said that Steinert Hall prices are pretty rigid. You can shed light on that. When you have your own instrument, whatever it is, you can contribute information about it.

You must stay.

People here have not had enough. Everyone is interested in everyone else's experience. No one is going to be gunning for you here.

I spent my (de)formative years in Cambridge a stone's throw from what has at various times been known as the Brookline Bridge, Cottage Farm Bridge, and Boston University Bridge. So I'm not a proper Bostonian, but I am a Charles River junkie. grin

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Nguyen -- I haven't been on this discussion but I have followed it a bit. I just wanted to echo what Turandot said.

I actually did a post earlier today, basically telling Marty that in his first post, he really had given an impression that he still seemed not to fully realize, and that your reaction to him was understandable. (I would have reacted as you did.) But I deleted my post, first of all because I realized it was "none of my business" and secondly because I then noticed something that I hadn't noticed initially: In his 2nd post, Marty immediately apologized to you for having given a wrong impression.

It turned out that this wasn't enough, which is also understandable, because the two of you were off-and-running. But in any event, please realize that it was a misunderstanding, it wasn't handled perfectly (and most things like this just aren't!), but it was just a misunderstanding. It happens. But it's not what you will usually experience here.

I promise. smile

N
Nguyen Offline OP
OP Offline
N
It's give and take here. People give you tips. You follow up by sharing your experience and giving your own insights. Some have said that Steinert Hall prices are pretty rigid. You can shed light on that. When you have your own instrument, whatever it is, you can contribute information about it.
You must stay.

No wonder you know more about the various Piano Dealers in this area than I do, and I call myself a Bostonian. LOL. Thanks for the encouragement. I'm not quitting Piano or PW. I am starting to fall in love with Piano and this Place now. I won't quit for any reason. I'll just have to think twice... maybe many times before I create a thread again, or I might not altogether. But you’ll see me here. This has become a part of my life now. There’s no going back.

Nguyen - Student Pianist
Originally Posted by Nguyen
....I'll just have to think twice... maybe many times before I create a thread again....

You absolutely do not have to do that. There was nothing at all wrong with what you did.

What happened was basically an "accident." That's all it was.

N
Nguyen Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by MarkCannon
But in any event, please realize that it was a misunderstanding, it wasn't handled perfectly (and most things like this just aren't!), but it was just a misunderstanding. It happens. But it's not what you will usually experience here.
I promise. smile

Thanks Mark. I appreciate your understanding and encouragement. I know it’s not a misunderstanding because I would never use such language and tone with my love ones or people I respect. But I have let it go and won’t revisit it again. Don’t worry. I know you guys are super helpful and great to be around here. I enjoy these discussions as much as practicing Piano. If you are a regular over ABF, you’d see that I post in the Alfred Book I very often and that won’t change anytime soon. I’ll be around. I’m excited about visiting Steinert Hall turandot suggested. I can’t wait but have to… for the snow to clear first. smile

Nguyen - Student Pianist
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I am glad you have decided to continue with the Forum. The more the better. We are interested in what you finally decide on, and more importantly why? Shopper reviews on current product lines are always interesting in that folks often sieze on different aspects of products we are familiar with. Even post what you paid, if you feel comfortable with this, and please give us all the pertinent details.

Playing music is at the core of all this. That is what should be important to all of us. Anything that keeps a person from acquiring an instrument to play is a bad thing. Anything that facilitates getting an instrument is a good thing. We all want the Forum to be a good thing.

Marty

N
Nguyen Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I am glad you have decided to continue with the Forum. The more the better. We are interested in what you finally decide on, and more importantly why? Shopper reviews on current product lines are always interesting in that folks often sieze on different aspects of products we are familiar with. Even post what you paid, if you feel comfortable with this, and please give us all the pertinent details.

Playing music is at the core of all this. That is what should be important to all of us. Anything that keeps a person from acquiring an instrument to play is a bad thing. Anything that facilitates getting an instrument is a good thing. We all want the Forum to be a good thing.

Marty

Thanks Marty. I’m glad you are over this and appreciate your encouragement. I’ve learned a great deal from all of this. I’m thankful for all the encouragement and understanding you all share. I will hopefully decide on one soon but I still have this final hurdle/fear that I have to overcome. I know whatever I end up, I’ll really enjoy because of all the knowledge and help you guys share here. Hopefully though this thread will move along into archive so we don’t have to see it again, especially me. Rest assured I have let everything goes already. There is no hard feeling. And just so you know, I’m not someone who doesn’t mean what he says. Cheers.

Nguyen - Student Pianist
A
A
I love it when everyone makes up in the end.

E
E
Nguyen - You and I think alike! I have this debate going on between my "adult" self and my "inner child". I've promised myself that after I finish Alfred's Book 1, I would treat myself to a new piano....but only after I "truly" finished the book. I was originally interested in a YDP-160, but looked at some of those Clavinova models (drooling over all their features, that my nearly 20 year old Yamaha YPP-50 doesn't have)as well as a couple of the Roland models. This, by the way was internet shopping, youtube videos and piano forum's posters comments only! I have yet to walk into a Guitar Center or independent piano dealer! So your question certainly piqued my interest. I just wonder like you, that if I bought a YDP-160 that one or two years from now, and assuming I progress and maintain the desire, I'd outgrow its capabilities and end up kicking myself for not getting a Clavinova or Roland model! Even between a Clavinova 340 and 380, its hard to tell if the additional features of the 380 would stave off obsolescence for the extra period of time to warrant the price differential between them.

Marty - I read what you wrote with great interest also! Independent piano dealers seem to me to operate somewhat akin to the way car dealerships do. Using that analogy, I think you were trying to express that while you might get a new Toyota Camry for $19,995 at one dealership and $21,000 at another, you're certainly not going to get one for $15,000 anywhere on the planet!! I'd be willing to bet that some of the prices that Nguyen mentioned might have been for older, but still current floor models that a dealer might be looking to unload or perhaps a "blemished" unit. Some buyers might not advertize that fact, in their zeal to report what they paid! There might also be regional cost factors and volume discounts that come into play! I also tend to doubt that the largest Steinway dealer in the world is likely to be selling Model D's at $25 over cost! LOL!!! Pianos aren't exactly exiting the dealer's door quite at the same rate as Big Macs and fries do from the McDonalds four blocks away!

I'm glad the two of you made up!! Both of you did provide interesting information to contemplate.

As for my last analogy of the day, I'd like to make one for the digital vs acoustic piano debate. This reminds me of people that like Lay's or Wise potato chips as opposed to people that like Pringle's. When you're starving, they all taste pretty good! smile

Last edited by Emissary52; 12/22/09 06:01 PM.

I'm Craig, I'm retired, It's Saturday every day!
Alfred's Masterwork Classics Vol 3 and Vol 4
YDP-160, GH-170R
Alfred 1 Graduate
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Let me get this right.

Digital piano = Pringle

Acoustic piano = wise lay?

E
E
I thought someone might get a kick out of that one! I like your interpretation even more!

Last edited by Emissary52; 12/22/09 07:16 PM.

YDP-160, GH-170R
Alfred 1 Graduate
B
B
I did research here aswell before I bought my Piano. My choice was between the H203 and the CLP240. I must admit I was a little caught up in the HP203 having the escapement funtion & sting resonnace and that the CLP240 was an outgoing version. Also there seems to be a bigger bunch of followers of Yamaha than Roland, and I always go for the underdog smile Really interested in the big underdog Korg C520, but not much info on that one smile Also living in a small country with not many big shops around, I mainly got to test the HP201 vs the stage Yamaha's. To get a good deal I would call the big store far far away. The salesman where I orderd my piano told me a few interesting things. He himself a Yamaha follower (so where the other 2 salesmen) and a musician, said that classical players usually preferd Roland, and the rest usually the Yamaha. I'm mainly into the blues and also felt that the Roland had a more heavy sound, so I figured the HP203 was it for me with all the fancy string resonnance, escapment as an added bonus. I've now tried to start playing a little Jazz using a little more advanced chords, and now I'm not so sure anymore I did the right choice. I feel say the dominant 7'th chords don't sound so good and maybe a little to muddy. I hate the sound of the G7 smile Watching mostly videos of Willie Myette teaching on the internet on a cheaper Yamaha YDP635 I think it is, sounds much better. Even simple shell voicings. Same with some youtube videos I feel that Yamaha's brighter sound suits Jazz better and are less muddy. Even though it is a few years ahead I have a feeling I will buy a Yamaha next time. I love my HP203 and maybe you get tired of the sound of your piano after a while, and you just need a change? I notice when I haven't played for a while, my piano sounds so much better than when I play everyday?

Probably drifted off here, but my point was that I taught the salesman had an interesting point about what kind of music do you play and want to play. Make sure you try different styles or atleast hit those dominanth 7 chords when you test different pianos. You never now if you wanna play jazz smile

Merry Xmas

N
Nguyen Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by Emissary52
Nguyen - You and I think alike! I have this debate going on between my "adult" self and my "inner child". I've promised myself that after I finish Alfred's Book 1, I would treat myself to a new piano....but only after I "truly" finished the book.

That's great Emissary. I'm delighted you find it helpful. Let's finish the book together and go reward ourselves a new DP. smile I’ll probably get mine before you. I’m shooting for end of January, latest Feb.

Nguyen - Student Pianist
N
Nguyen Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by Bullitt
Merry Xmas

Bullitt, thanks for sharing. I’m sure it’s helpful not only to me but others researching these DPs as well. Very insightful. Merry Xmas.

Nguyen - Student Pianist
E
E
Originally Posted by Nguyen
Nguyen - You and I think alike! I have this debate going on between my "adult" self and my "inner child". I've promised myself that after I finish Alfred's Book 1, I would treat myself to a new piano....but only after I "truly" finished the book.

That's great Emissary. I'm delighted you find it helpful. Let's finish the book together and go reward ourselves a new DP. smile I’ll probably get mine before you. I’m shooting for end of January, latest Feb.

I don't know about that Nguyen! I started on "Cafe Vienna" yesterday and it's proceeding nicely, but I believe you're much further ahead in Book 1. If and when I buy that new piano, it will probably be in March. I'm hoping that some of those new Yamaha pianos will be out, which might put a little downward pressure on the prices of the 340's and 380's. But knowing me, I'd end up with the new model. Further research is necessary at this point! Hey, for somebody who started in late Sept on Book 1, I think I'm doing alright! If by February, you read that Marvin Hamlisch or Joshua Rifkin have been kidnapped, you'll know I started on "The Entertainer"!

Last edited by Emissary52; 12/23/09 02:55 AM.

YDP-160, GH-170R
Alfred 1 Graduate
N
Nguyen Offline OP
OP Offline
N
… Hey, for somebody who started in late Sept on Book 1, I think I'm doing alright!...
Much further along than I was, that’s for sure. When it comes to Piano & Music, I’m not that smart, at least not yet, just hard work and patience. I’m sure you’ll catch up in no time.

Nguyen - Student Pianist
P
P
going back to a bit earlier in this thread..

Nguyen, you were talking about your reasons to get a console model.
At first, I was also kindof torn between a console DP and a portable one, however, if you rarely move your DP, I think that a console model is highly preferable:

- you'll have stronger speakers (even if you intend to use it a lot with headphones, there will almost definitely be times when you'll play without them, and then it's just really nice if you already have good speakers built-in).

- you'll have a good dustcover.

- I think it feels a bit cosier and gives a stronger feel of playing an acoustic, than when playing a slab-model DP (obviously not everyone may the same about this).

- 3 pedals, built into the unit.

with a portable unit, after adding costs like a stand, external amp and all that, the price difference with a console model will be very small, and like you said, your wife may not be as happy either..

Then, a few days back, you asked everyone if they could make a choice between the CLP340, HP207 and CLP380. So here I go..

1) If budget were an issue, I would compare the 340 and the 207 since the CLP340 in my opinion is already a very good DP at a very competitive price. Also, I hope to be buying an acoustic in some years and with that in mind, I find 4k too much money for a DP.

2) Then again, if I had the money and knew that this would probably be my only instrument to play for the next 10 or 20 years, I would just get the best that I could comfortably afford.
Just keep in mind that no DP is perfect. If you stretch your budget, you'll sooner find yourself displeased with "minor flaws" in your instrument.

Last edited by pieper; 12/25/09 07:57 AM.
P
P
Originally Posted by pieper
...I would just get the best that I could comfortably afford...

I meant to say "the instrument I like most".

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission