2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
21 members (cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 5 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1325391 12/14/09 06:25 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Howdy friends,

I just sold my Roland E-80, and now that it's gettin' near Christmas, I'm thinking of something along the lines of this here critter...

http://www.rolandus.com/community/insider/article.php?ArticleId=864&tab=hands-on

Anyone have any experience with one of these?

I can get my music dealer friend, Zeke, to order one, but I want to know more about it before I do.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Snazzy

Semper Gumby: Always flexible \:^)
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C

Of all the key actions I tried, I liked Roland's "PHA II Progressive Hammer Action with escapement and Ivory Feel" best. It is used on the RD700GX. If you could find an RD700GX to try you'd know if you would like the RM-700 as they share the same key action and keytops.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Much obliged, Chris.

I was also wondering about the quality of the arranger "styles", as I like to have fun when I'm playing, and we have parties every so often, and a rig like the RM-700 looks slicker than frog hair.

You know the saying, "A fool and his money are soon partying." wink

Snazzy

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by snazzyplayer
I just sold my Roland E-80, and now that it's gettin' near Christmas, I'm thinking of something along the lines of this here critter...

Have you had second thoughts about the Avant Grand snazzy?

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KAWAI James
Originally Posted by snazzyplayer

Have you had second thoughts about the Avant Grand snazzy?

Cheers,
James
x

No, James, I have not. It's another horse in the stable, but it's a special horse.

It appeals to me in a different way than the others, and it satisfies my "grand piano" fetish, without all the hassles a real grand brings along.

Have you spent any time on one yet?

I have a keyboard and/or a piano in every room ('cept the loo <grin>), and each room has it's own character/theme.

I play the Avant Grand first thing in the morning, and before I go to bed.

It touches my soul, if that don't sound too lofty a phrase.

My Hammond B-3 is the only other instrument that does that very same thing.

The RM-700 is just something I'm considering for parties and fun...I looked also at the KR-series, and the Atelier as well.

I always say that when I leave this mortal coil, I'm gonna owe a lot of money. I'm fixin' to have a mailbox set into my tombstone, and they can send the bills to that address. wink

Snazzy

ps. If I was forced to choose one of my instruments, it would be the Avant Grand, hands down.

If I could choose two, then following on it's heels, would be the Hammond and Leslie.

Hello Snazzy,

I play the Avant Grand first thing in the morning, and before I go to bed.

My apologies, somehow I managed to forget that you have already received your Avant Grand.

Have you spent any time on one yet?

Regretfully, no, not yet. Actually, I did have the opportunity to play an Avant Grand in the summer, when I spent a couple of days cycling to Tokyo. There is an instrument in one of the display areas at Hamamatsu station. I had just reassembled my bike after stepping off the train, and spotted the Avant in Yamaha's product demonstration area. I desperately wanted to play this beautiful instrument, but took one look at my filthy, oily hands and decided that it was perhaps not such a wise idea!

To return to Roland, I did spend a little while at the weekend playing the new HP-307. This is a very impressive instrument. The polished ebony version that I tried looked absolutely terrific and felt very nice to play.

I switched over to an RD-700GX after this - initially to compare the piano sounds, but inevitably found myself selecting the Rhodes, Wurly, and Hammond voices!

ps. If I was forced to choose one of my instruments, it would be the Avant Grand, hands down.

I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying your new piano!

If I could choose two, then following on it's heels, would be the Hammond and Leslie.

Ah, you're a man after my own heart! Nothing beats the sound of that vintage Hammond and Leslie combination.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KAWAI James

Ah, you're a man after my own heart! Nothing beats the sound of that vintage Hammond and Leslie combination.

Cheers,
James
x

My B-3 is a 1957 model, carefully selected from several on the floor of a store that specialized in vintage Hammond.

The Leslie is a 147 RV(reverb), completely stock.

The organ and Leslie were owned by a little old lady(honest!)and it had been meticulously maintained and they (not the old lady...she passed on) were in pristine condition.

The sound of Hammond B-3 with the proper Leslie is timeless; much like the sound of a Grand Piano, nylon string acoustic guitar, or a Tenor Sax.

The Hammond feels like it's alive, with the whirring tonewheels, and the Leslie is like a breathing beast that can growl or sigh in an instant.

The Avant Grand feels the same way. It's like it talks and whispers back to you, and you completely forget it's digital after a few seconds.

My friend Zeke has a Roland RD-700GX...nice instrument. Very playable and almost "sweet" sounding. He has the SRX-06 Complete Orchestra, and SRX-07 Ultimate Keys installed. Nice rig.

Snazzy

ps. Sorry for drifting off like that...I get all wrapped up in music making; that's why I'm gonna die poor, and owe a lot of loot. wink

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission