2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 7 invisible), 1,242 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
phxal9 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
So after hitting the big 3-0 I have decided to learn how to play a musical instrument it was either the guitar or piano. Ended up choosing the piano route. I was originally going to get the yamaha p85 but after reading up here I have set my eyes on getting the yamaha p155 at guitar center for $1200 but then I found a used roland fp-7 with stand in mint condition locally for just $1000.
If you were in my position what would you get? Thanks for any inputs.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
phxal9, welcome to the forum.

I have set my eyes on getting the yamaha p155 at guitar center for $1200...

Using coupon codes, I believe some folks here have managed to purchase the P155 from Music123 for around $960 or so. Check through the post on this forum and you should be able to find the details, if not, I'm sure someone else will provide them in this thread in due course.

Price aside, the question of which instrument to go is really down to you. Play test a few models for a couple of hours (bring a pair of good quality headphones too), and I'm sure you'll eventually find one you prefer.

Cheers,
James
x

EDIT: the Music123 coupon code is CCABIN

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by phxal9
So after hitting the big 3-0 I have decided to learn how to play a musical instrument it was either the guitar or piano. Ended up choosing the piano route. I was originally going to get the yamaha p85 but after reading up here I have set my eyes on getting the yamaha p155 at guitar center for $1200 but then I found a used roland fp-7 with stand in mint condition locally for just $1000.
If you were in my position what would you get? Thanks for any inputs.

I just bought a new P155. I think it is the best DP for under $1,000. But I like the FP-7. I think the PHA II keyboard is maybe better and there are more sounds and other features but normally the FP-7 is twice the price of the P155. Getting an FP-7 for less than a P155 changes things. If I had had the money I would be bought an RD700GX the FP-7 would be my second choice. But the P155 is very nice.

Some people prefer the Yamaha sound because they sample a real Yamaha grand piano. But Roland has enough different pianos that you can find one you like or to match the music.

I was one of those who got the $960 deal on the P155. It's real.

While on the subject of good deals. My new pair of AKG K240 headphone just arrived. Sweetwater has them for $99 which is way-cheap for these. I was just using these with the P155. The sound is as if you were not wearing headphones. I think these are the most transparent and accurate headphones made. I've never seen them at this price before.

Last edited by ChrisA; 12/10/09 01:46 AM.
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on deciding to enjoy the piano!
Either would be just fine to start on.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ChrisA
While on the subject of good deals. My new pair of AKG K240 headphone just arrived. Sweetwater has them for $99 which is way-cheap for these. I was just using these with the P155. The sound is as if you were not wearing headphones. I think these are the most transparent and accurate headphones made. I've never seen them at this price before.

You can't go wrong with AKG. I have a pair of K271's (sealed) and they are fantastic.

K
K
The only problem with the coupon is those sites don't ship Yamaha products to like Canada, which is a shame. I wonder if any Canadian shops will ever price match something like a "coupon".

P
phxal9 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Thanks for the input guys. Just saw the fp-7 and looks pretty close to new condition not even a year old yet, considering that it cost the owner almost 2k about just almost a year ago I think it's a smoking deal.

How reliable are these digital pianos nowadays? The 3 yr warranty of the new yamaha p155 and coupon discounts if it's still araound is worth considering with my options.
though the fp-7 from what I've gathered is a better DP feature wise and closer to acoustic piano "feel".I guess I'll sleep on it for a few days before making the final decision.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Go for the discount before you buy. Call the dealers.

Altho' I bought a refurbished keyboards, it was with a 45 day return policy.

I would be nervous about buying any keyboard used from a private seller unless it's someone you know. You get zero warranty.

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
If you're just starting out, buying used has an advantage beyond just the savings. You will be able to recover more of your investment when you decide to sell because:
a) you know how to play and want something different/better
or
b) you lost interest.

hopefully a)

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
S
S
Hi here are my two cents:
If you are an absolute beginner AND money is no object, buy anything you want, brand new (or maybe buy one of each). Rejoice in the nice Rolands and Kawais and Korgs etc etc etc

But if money matters I would buy one of this
A) casio px-130
If you want to splurge a little more (which seems to be the case from your post)
then this is the 2nd suggestion:
B) casio px-330 (why: because the built-in rythms are a nice help for the practicing popular music musician wannabe, does not apply if you are a classical musician wannabe).
End of the free two cents!

phxal9,

One year ago I had the same dilemma between a yamaha (then a P-140) which was my original idea and the FP-7 that I discovered in the shop. Considering that FP-7 has nice accompaniment features and many interesting voices, I went for it and I don't regret it for one minute. I believe that the best way to choose is first set your price limit, second (optional) download user's manuals and check for must-have/nice-to-have features and third go to the store and try the DPs, with and without headphones.

Regards,

Thierry

Adult Beginner on a Roland FP-7
E
ere Offline
E
Also had a dilemma in that price range 2 years ago- ended up going for Roland FP4 as FP7 has a hard keybed that is unrealistic in action and unhealthy to boot. FP4 lacks string resonance of fp7, but I'm using Pianoteq which smokes fp7 sounds anyway. Fp4 has a very nice touch with real piano-like soft keybed.

My gear: Roland FP4 digi-piano, M-audio A192 sound card , Sennheiser HD580 phones , Synthogy Ivory+ Italian Grand , soft-piano Pianoteq (highly recommended)
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ere
Also had a dilemma in that price range 2 years ago- ended up going for Roland FP4 as FP7 has a hard keybed that is unrealistic in action and unhealthy to boot. FP4 lacks string resonance of fp7, but I'm using Pianoteq which smokes fp7 sounds anyway. Fp4 has a very nice touch with real piano-like soft keybed.

I agree, the FP7 keybed is way too hard. I don't even play piano much and it feels bizarre to me. How does this crap make it out of the lab without people laughing it down?

Dewster,

It is ok with me if you say you do not like (or even you hate) the FP-7. That you call it 'crap' is something I resent (as many happy FP-7 owners I presume) and, regardless of your piano skills, I wish you would refrain such writing in this usually respectful forum.

Thierry

Adult Beginner on a Roland FP-7
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
tbaroghel - Thank you.
I have been playing pianos and keyboards for 57 years so I am no stranger to the feel of various keyboards.

I have an FP-7 and love it. I also have a Yamaha G7 for direct comparison.

Whatever you think about the FP-7 (we are all certainly entitled to our opinions) it is certainly NOT "crap" not "laughable" nor does it feel "bizarre".

This is the kind of posts I expect in the Piano Forum or Pianist Corner where they can't seem to help themselves, not here.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Roger Ransom
tbaroghel -
I have an FP-7 and love it. I also have a Yamaha G7 for direct comparison.

I spent some considerable time on the FP-7, and thought it was a fine instrument; I very nearly bought one, but at 52 lbs (without the road case) it was a mite too heavy for my kind of gigging, so I went with a much lighter piano.

I thought the piano sound was very well done, and I especially liked the tone-wheel organs.

The reverb was one of the best I've heard on a digital piano, and went a long way towards giving it a very professional sound.

Are you amplifying it, Roger, and, if so, what are you using?

Snazzy

Semper Gumby: Always flexible \:^)
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by tbaroghel
Dewster,

It is ok with me if you say you do not like (or even you hate) the FP-7. That you call it 'crap' is something I resent (as many happy FP-7 owners I presume) and, regardless of your piano skills, I wish you would refrain such writing in this usually respectful forum.

Thierry

Good lord Thierry, reading your post I'd almost swear I felt a glove smack me in the face. Is this is some kind of honor thing?

I'm not criticizing you, just the unnatural hard stop on the FP-7 I tried (and I suppose Roland by proxy). Poorly engineered ergonomics can cause repetitive motion injury, which is no laughing matter.

And besides, ere started it! To me, his post was much more damning of the FP-7.

Here's another cheap swipe at the FP-7: the lit buttons look like bulbs from a cheap dollar store Xmas tree. Admit it, they're ugly. I apologize to all in advance.

Don't take it personally, I loath all DPs, some more than others.

Last edited by dewster; 12/15/09 05:02 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Dewpster,

You must be careful in criticizing some one's choice in keyboards, son, because you are basically insulting their taste.

We must respect the other fellow's choice in keyboards, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart. wink

Snazzy

Semper Gumby: Always flexible \:^)
E
ere Offline
E
Oh, no offense was intended!
I realise that lots of people invested in fp7 and thus take criticism personally. This doesnt mean that constructive criticism should stop. I freely admited that my own 1000£ Roland FP4 has pathetic built in sounds - no sympathetic resonance, no string resonance, poor damper resonance. No product in this price range is beyond criticism.
Same applies to FP7- non believers may want to do a quick search on these very forums for "keybed FP7". The action on FP7 is FANTASTIC while the key travelling down, but when it HITS the (concrete- metal-granite) keybed it certainly is NOT fantastic. Like playing a piano with no piano felt under keys or something. In fact there was a case on these very forums where an (advanced) piano player damaged his hands on Roland fp7 (over several weeks)and had to seek medical help. There was also a consensus on these very forums that fp7 keybed IS too hard, abnormally so - this was 1.5-2 years ago.

Beginner pianists should not worry too much about it, advanced players should. Also there is a possibility that problem was addressed by Roland since then. Eg my recently repaired Fp4 has a new keyboard assembly that has slightly firmer feel compared to my 2y.o. one...

But product criticism is good, no one should be offended:)

Last edited by ere; 12/15/09 05:24 PM.

My gear: Roland FP4 digi-piano, M-audio A192 sound card , Sennheiser HD580 phones , Synthogy Ivory+ Italian Grand , soft-piano Pianoteq (highly recommended)
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ere
But product criticism is good

By that criterion, I'm VERY good! :-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission