2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Originally Posted by Serge Marinkovic
She is playing piano well but with an intermediate level repertoire.

Just vice versa - nothing wrong with repertoire, but quite "intermediate" level of playing.

All bad poetry springs from genuine feeling.
Oscar Wilde
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I think that would be my view as well.

Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Vica
"It's not the people who vote that count. It's the people who count the votes."

I HOPED SO.

The "Rules" included quite an odd rule: The organization had the discretion to change the rules.
They were free to do whatever they wanted.

I thought the main thing this meant was that they would make sure the winner was worthy, by simply ignoring the votes of an unworthy would-be winner.

Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Hakki
Am I missing something here? Why Cliburn.org still says the winner will be announced on December 9th?

You didn't get an e-mail announcing the winner? It was sent out last night, a little before 9 P.M. eastern time.

The "winner" is a woman named ChooHooi Khoo.

BTW.......I don't think I'm doing a very good job concealing my feelings. ha

Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by cscl
I was also looking for the info on the winner and can't find it anywhere. Where did you all hear the news? I've only seen it in this thread at Piano World.

For anybody who hasn't been able to see the news release, here it is:

>>VAN CLIBURN FOUNDATION ANNOUNCES WINNER OF SECOND YOUTUBE CONTEST FOR AMATEUR PIANISTS

RECORD-BREAKING NUMBER OF ONLINE PARTICIPANTS

FORT WORTH, TEXAS, December 9, 2009--ChooHooi Khoo, also known as Janice, has won the Cliburn's second YouTube Contest for Amateur Pianists by popular vote. Voting concluded on November 24, assuring Ms. Khoo a berth in the sixth International Piano Competition for Outstanding Amateurs, to be held in May 2011 in Fort Worth. Watch her performance of Schubert Impromptu, Op. 90, No. 4.

Currently a resident of Bakersfield, California, Ms. Khoo was born in Malaysia. She began her piano studies at the age of six with Thien Joe Goh. In 1989, she completed eighth grade piano at the Associated Board of the Royal School of Music (ABRSM) with high distinction, and subsequently received the Datuk I.K. Cheah Memorial Prize for her achievement. In 1991, ChooHooi Khoo immigrated to the United States with her family, and eventually received her Master of Physical Therapy degree from Loma Linda University in California. She continued to play the piano and sing at church, but music became an avocation while she raised two sons and pursued her medical career. Ms. Khoo is currently a full-time physical therapist and practice manager for a rheumatology medical office.

Describing her recent return to piano studies, Ms. Khoo remarked: "As my children got older, I encouraged them to learn music and my older son started taking piano lessons from Bonnie Farrer, who is the wife of John Farrer, the conductor of the Bakersfield Symphony Orchestra. I hadn't heard of the Van Cliburn [International Piano] Competition until this summer when Mrs. Farrer returned from the competition and gave my son a program featuring the finalists...This reignited my passion for playing piano and our family was glued to the computer monitor watching the featured competitors on www.cliburn.tv. We even attended the first concert of the Bakersfield Symphony Orchestra 2009-2010 season, featuring the 2009 co-winner of the Nancy Lee and Perry R. Bass Gold Medal, Haochen Zhang!"

Ms. Khoo discovered the Cliburn's YouTube Contest only two weeks before the submission deadline. "With the encouragement of my husband and children, I decided to compete, even though I only had two weeks to pick a piece, to practice, to record, and to submit the video. During this time, my family and friends have been very supportive, although most of us thought that I was a long-shot, including myself. Even before the winner was announced, my husband ordered me a Steinway grand piano to replace my upright as a consolation prize for losing the competition and to encourage me to continue playing. Having won, I'm very excited about this opportunity to go to Fort Worth in 2011 and I want to use this God-given opportunity to practice hard (on my new piano) and thank those who supported me. I also hope to encourage my children through example, to practice hard and follow their dreams."<<

Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
P.S. Not to be a sourpuss smile but speaking as a medical person, I think they erred in using the phrase "her medical career."

Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a feeling you might be inclined to agree with my above persnickety post. ha

P.S. I don't think there was any issue about her choice of repertoire. While indeed in itself it's not a highly impressive choice, I think a beautiful performance of the piece would arguably be a very worth winner.

Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Serge Marinkovic
She is playing piano well but with an intermediate level repertoire.

Just vice versa - nothing wrong with repertoire, but quite "intermediate" level of playing.

I think you have it exactly right.

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
No I didn't get an e-mail, except the regular Cliburn e-notes mail which was sent on December 8th.

Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
Huh......I don't understand why not. I imagine they tried to send it to everyone on their e-mail list, which would certainly have included all the contestants.

Originally Posted by MarkCannon
"It's not the people who vote that count. It's the people who count the votes."

I HOPED SO.

The "Rules" included quite an odd rule: The organization had the discretion to change the rules.
They were free to do whatever they wanted.

CF was not going to spend it's capital (i.e. an odd rule) in this case! smile Wait for the real event!

Originally Posted by MarkCannon

I thought the main thing this meant was that they would make sure the winner was worthy, by simply ignoring the votes of an unworthy would-be winner.

Life is not so simple... it's simpler!
It's all about marketing!
Single user could vote multiple times by clearing up "cookies" in his browser... yawn
I'm not saying it was a fraud, but technically it was possible.

All bad poetry springs from genuine feeling.
Oscar Wilde
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I did not get an e-mail as well, finally contacted Bob Ekelund to find out what was going on. Am trying to contact them to se why this happened.

Musica 71
Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
....Single user could vote multiple times by clearing up "cookies" in his browser... yawn
I'm not saying it was a fraud, but technically it was possible.

As I said on the other thread, now you tell me!! ha

I thought that in order to get a ballot, you had to give an e-mail address. Do you mean that you didn't?

P.S. As I mentioned in my post on the other thread, I would hope that I wouldn't have used/abused that.

I think I had to give an email address, though I wouldn't swear to this.

Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
I think I had to give an email address, though I wouldn't swear to this.

Yes -- as far as I know, you did. There were two methods of voting that I was aware of, and they both seemed to require giving an e-mail, and the system "knew" if you had already done it.

I figured that the people who talked about repetitive voting meant that you could fool the system into not knowing.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad

I did just watch the winning video and I was quite surprised. A nice performance, but that's about it.

I agree. Technically she seemed very good but I got very little emotionally from her playing.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
OK......today was the day, and the result just came out.
The winner was someone that I think we'd have to consider a "dark horse," ChooHooi Khoo. I have my opinions and I'm going to try to keep them to myself smile because obviously I can't be objective, not just because I didn't "win," which I didn't expect to, but more so because I had ideas about who might win and I was very wrong. But I would be very interested in what other people's reactions might be. All the videos are still online.....

Cliburn amateur YouTube videos[/b]

.....and probably will be for some time.

Hers is over here:

[b]Winner's video

Mark, I hadn't realized you had participated in this. Just listened to your Scriabin (I'm assuming that's you!) - terrific. Now I understand how it is that you speak with such authority about things pianistic in general and Cliburn in particular!

SRF
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission