2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
54 members (bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, 9 invisible), 1,393 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
EP Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
from another thread:
Originally Posted by bachmaniac
Some time ago, with the help of our friend James (Kawai James) here on the forum, I upgraded the firmware on my MP8 to V 2.14.

Just curious - I've located the 2.14 update on the German website (haven't installed it yet), but the most recent update I found on the US site is 1.32. Some time ago, I had downloaded and installed 1.40 (don't remember where I got it).
Can anybody clarify this for me? Seems like I should be using 2.14, no? Is there a reason it's not available on the KawaiUS website, or am I just missing it somehow?

A
A
EP, would you be kind and explain the purpose of these updates, I believe Kawai is the only manufacturer of DP:s, having this service, right?

/Andrée

EP Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I'm not the one to properly explain it, but basically they add updated features to the operation of the keyboard. I think it's common among many hardware manufacturers to offer firmware updates.

Hello EP,

I have no idea at all as to why the latest update (2.14) is only available on the German site, but that's where I got it from. Follow the instructions carefully, and you will end up with an MP8II in everything but the default grand piano 1 sound which, as I said earlier, is hardware originated. There is even a supplemental PDF instruction manual that comes with the upgrade so that your owner's manual can now correspond to the new MP8II you're now using.

Like many other Kawai fans, I prefer the earlier version of the AWA pro action in the MP8 to that of the MP8II (and that of the later CA series) as its touch is firmer, much more solid in feel. After an extensive trial of the new action (a close friend of mine owns an MP8II which he bought on my advice) I find that its sole advantage over the earlier version is its ability to repeat notes a bit faster. Not that relevant in playing classical as I do, whereas a firm, razor-sharp touch is.

Regards,

Claude

K. Kawai KG-2D grand, Kawai MP8 digital, Kawai CA7
EP Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Hi Claude,
Thanks for the info. I plan on installing 2.14.
I haven't had a chance to try the MP8II. Interesting that many prefer the MP8 action. I certainly think it's the best of any digital I've played.

V
V
Claude,
Would you say this firmware upgrade is a significant improvement, compared to original MP8?

Kawai MP8
Lots of other stuff
Hey Witold,

so glad to find you back on the forum...

Yes, the upgrade is very significant and a positive one as it provides you with all the improvements that the MP8II offers over the MP8, except of course for the default Concert Grand 1 samples (which can't be included in the update because they are hardware-stored (rom-based) on the MP8II). The only other remaining difference that will remain betwteen your instrument and a II is the action, but as I said earlier and as a great many Kawai fans find, the AWA I keybed is actually more desirable than the AWA II, so don't worry about it: on that aspect the MP8II offers no "improvement" at all...

Let it be sufficient to say that in general all of the sounds (except the main basic piano) are upgraded to MP8II level and it becomes possible to edit the internal 256 sounds. Also, a supplemental user's manual in pdf form is supplied with the upgrade, thus the instrument's update to MP8II level is fully documented. It's all easy as pie. A word of caution: it's important to reset the instrument after upgrading, as playing it without having reset it will lead you to think that some of the sounds are missing (they really aren't. They all reappear after reset). Reading the supplemental manual before performing the actual upgrade is therefore a good idea.

Best regards,

Claude

K. Kawai KG-2D grand, Kawai MP8 digital, Kawai CA7
A
A
Quite strange that Kawai has decided to offer this service, in my opinion they will sell less DP:s since the customers can upgrade their current piano with the new software available.

EP Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andree
Quite strange that Kawai has decided to offer this service, in my opinion they will sell less DP:s since the customers can upgrade their current piano with the new software available.

I dunno - It seems unlikely that an MP8 owner would upgrade to the MP8II anyway. It just doesn't seem like a big enough difference to warrant the cost of a trade-up, unless one just always likes to have the most-current of everything.

V
V
Originally Posted by EP
Originally Posted by Andree

I dunno - It seems unlikely that an MP8 owner would upgrade to the MP8II anyway. It just doesn't seem like a big enough difference to warrant the cost of a trade-up, unless one just always likes to have the most-current of everything.

Or perhaps Kawai actually cares about its customers, unlike many others. If anything, I'd say that the bean counters, as is often the case, are at least NOT running Kawai's business model. And that should be construed as a good thing. We all should be thankful, donate to a charity of our choice and follow what Kawai is going to be up to next.

I would also add that MP8 action is so stupendously good, as long it stays healthy mechanically, one might never want to upgrade as the continuing development of Pianoteq and similar technologies will keep it up high for a long time. Maybe that's another reason for Kawai's decision of keeping its "brains" fresh.

Last edited by vitog; 12/09/09 09:27 PM.

Kawai MP8
Lots of other stuff

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission