Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
113 registered members (achoo42, Alex Hutor, 7uturu, anotherscott, 36251, ando, anamnesis, 29 invisible), 1,228 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
tuning prices varying according to brand? #1320423
12/07/09 04:13 PM
12/07/09 04:13 PM
S
SeilerFan Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
SeilerFan  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
S

As a German, I was happily surprised that great tuners are available for a fair price in the U.S., generally a bit cheaper than what I was accustomed to in Germany. My German tuner who was quite good but didn't have a far-reaching reputation as a concert tuner, has been charging EUR 100 in the past two years. While that is still an acceptable price, I have found an outstanding tuner/technician in the U.S. that charges $100 and does splendid work, far superior to my German tuner in my view. Also, he tunes for professional pianists and services concert grands and has great experience in these areas. In general, I found technicians/tuners in the U.S. more creative and more responsive to player input. But that is only based on my narrow window of experience with only a handful of tuners/technicians in both countries. I don't want to suggest that this can serve as a generalization.

Anyway, while recently doing some research on German websites, I stumbled on a Pianohaus that, naturally, also offered tunings and service. They had the following two different price categories on their site:

a.) tuning of a Steinway piano and

b.) tuning of all other brands.

I don't remember the exact prices nor do I want to possibly malign a dealer that nobody on here knows anyway (me included). I just remember that tuning a Steinway commanded a surcharge of EUR 25 as opposed to tuning other brands. Is there some reason to this? I highly doubt that Steinways are harder to tune as they are high-quality pianos that usually satisfy technicians who work on them. Also, Steinways don't have more strings than other pianos. So, why the surcharge?
If I were the owner of a Steinway, I'd be wary to call these guys for a tuning.

Last edited by SeilerFan; 12/07/09 04:14 PM.
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: tuning prices varying according to brand? [Re: SeilerFan] #1320446
12/07/09 04:43 PM
12/07/09 04:43 PM
Georgia, USA
terminaldegree Offline
4000 Post Club Member
terminaldegree  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Georgia, USA
I've heard of technicians that don't like tuning Steinway uprights (and may charge extra for that), but never have seen an "upcharge" for Steinway grands just because of the name. Why not a Boesendorfer upcharge, too?

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Re: tuning prices varying according to brand? [Re: terminaldegree] #1320462
12/07/09 04:56 PM
12/07/09 04:56 PM
New York
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Mark_C  Offline

New York
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
....Why not a Boesendorfer upcharge, too?

If I had one, I'd sort of expect it.
(Really!)

P.S. I recently paid to have one tuned for a recording (the one below). I think he did charge a bit extra but I wasn't sure if it was because it was a Bosendorfer or because he thought I was stupid. Either way worked for me. smile

Re: tuning prices varying according to brand? [Re: terminaldegree] #1320472
12/07/09 05:04 PM
12/07/09 05:04 PM
New York
Mark_C Offline
Mark_C  Offline

New York
I've heard of technicians that don't like tuning Steinway uprights (and may charge extra for that), but never have seen an "upcharge" for Steinway grands just because of the name.....

But seriously folks..... smile

I can see it depending on how much work and expertise and care are required in the job, and I can imagine it might tend to be more for a "higher" brand -- because it sort of "matters" more, being a more valuable instrument. If that's the justification for higher prices, I think it's not necessarily unreasonable.

I can imagine that sometimes a "lower" brand might be more difficult to bring into tune or to repair, because it's of lower quality -- and then that piano might cost more.

Re: tuning prices varying according to brand? [Re: Mark_C] #1320498
12/07/09 05:29 PM
12/07/09 05:29 PM
Marty Flinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Marty Flinn  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

They may rationalize the upcharge in the assumed higher expectations of top tier piano owners and dispatch more experienced and more expensive tuners to these jobs.

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
Work for west coast dealer for Yamaha, Schimmel, Bosendorfer, Wm. Knabe.
Re: tuning prices varying according to brand? [Re: Mark_C] #1320512
12/07/09 05:42 PM
12/07/09 05:42 PM
B
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member
beethoven986  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
B

I've never heard of this for a Steinway, but it wouldn't surprise me to hear of a surcharge for Bluethner, Borgato, or any piano with more than 88keys.

Re: tuning prices varying according to brand? [Re: Marty Flinn] #1320526
12/07/09 06:10 PM
12/07/09 06:10 PM
S
SeilerFan Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
SeilerFan  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
S

Originally Posted by Marty Flinn
They may rationalize the upcharge in the assumed higher expectations of top tier piano owners and dispatch more experienced and more expensive tuners to these jobs.

Well, then they must think that Steinway is the only top-tier piano. If I had a Bluethner or Fazioli, then I wouldn't have to pay the extra amount. Makes no sense to me.

Re: tuning prices varying according to brand? [Re: SeilerFan] #1320540
12/07/09 06:25 PM
12/07/09 06:25 PM
New York
Mark_C Offline
Mark_C  Offline

New York
Originally Posted by SeilerFan
.....Well, then they must think that Steinway is the only top-tier piano. If I had a Bluethner or Fazioli, then I wouldn't have to pay the extra amount. Makes no sense to me.

Agreed.
But I wonder if they just don't see enough of those other pianos for them to be worth mentioning. I've seen thousands (literally thousands) of pianos in my lifetime and I've never come across a Fazioli except in a piano store, and never across a Bluethner at all anywhere.

Re: tuning prices varying according to brand? [Re: Mark_C] #1320555
12/07/09 06:59 PM
12/07/09 06:59 PM
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Steve Cohen Offline
Steve Cohen  Offline

Maryland/DC/No. VA
Originally Posted by MarkCannon
Originally Posted by SeilerFan
.....Well, then they must think that Steinway is the only top-tier piano. If I had a Bluethner or Fazioli, then I wouldn't have to pay the extra amount. Makes no sense to me.

Agreed.
But I wonder if they just don't see enough of those other pianos for them to be worth mentioning. I've seen thousands (literally thousands) of pianos in my lifetime and I've never come across a Fazioli except in a piano store, and never across a Bluethner at all anywhere.

MarkCannon,

Not that you have done anything wrong, but a requirement of posting on Piano World is that any "industry professional", past or present, identify themselves as such in their signature.

You appear to be a tuner, yet you do not mention that in your sig, and your profile indicates an different profession.

Are you an industry pro?

Piano Industry Consultant- http://www.linkedin.com/pub/steve-cohen/6/b92/b80

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.
Re: tuning prices varying according to brand? [Re: Steve Cohen] #1320564
12/07/09 07:09 PM
12/07/09 07:09 PM
New York
Mark_C Offline
Mark_C  Offline

New York
Originally Posted by Steve Cohen
...You appear to be a tuner, yet you do not mention that in your sig, and your profile indicates an different profession.
Are you an industry pro?

I'm not.
Sorry if my posts made it seem that I was.

I'm aware that my opinions on various things (and how I argue them) might sometimes make it seem as though I'm in one camp or another, but I'm usually not. I just have opinions. smile
My posts on this thread have been purely from the standpoint of a customer, involving a wide range of different types of pianos over the years; plus perhaps as someone who understands that some kinds of things in any given field may require more work and/or expertise than others.

Very sorry for the wrong appearance.

P.S. As I've mentioned a few times (but not loudly), I'm a psychiatrist and serious amateur pianist and piano lover.

Re: tuning prices varying according to brand? [Re: Steve Cohen] #1320567
12/07/09 07:20 PM
12/07/09 07:20 PM
New York
Mark_C Offline
Mark_C  Offline

New York
P.S., btw, and for-what-it's-worth: I did used to know Larry Fine, but I assume that didn't necessarily need to be stated anywhere, and I mention it only as a curiosity.
In fact, I thought it would be "name dropping."

(And since it was 40 years ago, it probably is.) ha

Re: tuning prices varying according to brand? [Re: Mark_C] #1320600
12/07/09 08:27 PM
12/07/09 08:27 PM
Toronto
A
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
AJF  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A

Toronto
Maybe it's the same reason an oil change on a Mercedes Benz is more expensive than on my Toyota yaris. It's the same process of dumping the old oil and adding the new oil but if I'm paying twice as much it stays in line with the prestige of owning a "superior" product. Seems like bs to me-especially considering that it's probably an easier and more straight forward job to tune a Steinway (or any high end piano) than it is to tune an old clunker.

Pianist, Composer
Disclaimer: Shigeru Kawai Artist
Re: tuning prices varying according to brand? [Re: Mark_C] #1320620
12/07/09 09:06 PM
12/07/09 09:06 PM
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Steve Cohen Offline
Steve Cohen  Offline

Maryland/DC/No. VA
Originally Posted by Steve Cohen
...You appear to be a tuner, yet you do not mention that in your sig, and your profile indicates an different profession.
Are you an industry pro?

I'm not.
Sorry if my posts made it seem that I was.

I'm aware that my opinions on various things (and how I argue them) might sometimes make it seem as though I'm in one camp or another, but I'm usually not. I just have opinions. smile
My posts on this thread have been purely from the standpoint of a customer, involving a wide range of different types of pianos over the years; plus perhaps as someone who understands that some kinds of things in any given field may require more work and/or expertise than others.

Very sorry for the wrong appearance.

P.S. As I've mentioned a few times (but not loudly), I'm a psychiatrist and serious amateur pianist and piano lover.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Piano Industry Consultant- http://www.linkedin.com/pub/steve-cohen/6/b92/b80

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.
Re: tuning prices varying according to brand? [Re: Steve Cohen] #1320655
12/07/09 10:17 PM
12/07/09 10:17 PM
New York
Mark_C Offline
Mark_C  Offline

New York
No problem. BTW my first post on this thread (i.e. the second reply) pretty much indicated that I'm not a tuner, but I felt your question meant others might have gotten the same wrong idea and so I figured I'd better give that full answer.

Re: tuning prices varying according to brand? [Re: AJF] #1320656
12/07/09 10:18 PM
12/07/09 10:18 PM
New York
Mark_C Offline
Mark_C  Offline

New York
Originally Posted by AJF
Maybe it's the same reason an oil change on a Mercedes Benz is more expensive than on my Toyota yaris. It's the same process of dumping the old oil and adding the new oil but if I'm paying twice as much it stays in line with the prestige of owning a "superior" product.

I thought of that analogy too.
Seems like bs to me-especially considering that it's probably an easier and more straight forward job to tune a Steinway (or any high end piano) than it is to tune an old clunker.

....and that as well. smile

Re: tuning prices varying according to brand? [Re: Mark_C] #1320761
12/08/09 12:38 AM
12/08/09 12:38 AM
Grand Rapids Michigan
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Jerry Groot RPT  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Grand Rapids Michigan
Most technicians that I know, do not charge more to tune one piano verses another but, we do charge additional if it is a concert tuning. So what if it has some extra notes?

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
Re: tuning prices varying according to brand? [Re: Jerry Groot RPT] #1320893
12/08/09 07:57 AM
12/08/09 07:57 AM
Minnesota
Marty in Minnesota Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
Marty in Minnesota  Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Minnesota
I find it odd that there would be a surcharge within the same service/shop.

Using the oil change analogy, if you go to a "quick" lube sort of place, you would expect the cost to be the same for a BMW as it would be for a Ford. If you go to a "high end" specialy shop, you would expect the prices to be higher, even for the Ford.

In just the last few days I have scheduled a tuning with an unfamiliar, though highly recommended, tuner. When I called to request a tuning, the first question was available dates. After that I asked about price and the tuner gave me a quote on her fee. It was only after those discussions did she ask about the piano. Though it is a S&S, the fee didn't change.

Marty in Minnesota
Re: tuning prices varying according to brand? [Re: Mark_C] #1320898
12/08/09 08:26 AM
12/08/09 08:26 AM
Lowell MA
Larry Buck Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Larry Buck  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Lowell MA
I've heard of technicians that don't like tuning Steinway uprights (and may charge extra for that), but never have seen an "upcharge" for Steinway grands just because of the name.....

But seriously folks..... smile

I can see it depending on how much work and expertise and care are required in the job, and I can imagine it might tend to be more for a "higher" brand -- because it sort of "matters" more, being a more valuable instrument. If that's the justification for higher prices, I think it's not necessarily unreasonable.

I can imagine that sometimes a "lower" brand might be more difficult to bring into tune or to repair, because it's of lower quality -- and then that piano might cost more.

Surprisingly Insightful!

Simply stated.

And, True for everything, not just pianos.

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
Mark Twain

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com
http://www.facebook.com/EJBuckPerformances
Re: tuning prices varying according to brand? [Re: Mark_C] #1320899
12/08/09 08:34 AM
12/08/09 08:34 AM
S
SeilerFan Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
SeilerFan  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
S

I've seen thousands (literally thousands) of pianos in my lifetime and I've never come across a Fazioli except in a piano store, and never across a Bluethner at all anywhere.

Remember, this is in Germany. There are lots of German pianos around. Maybe the Italian Fazioli is a rarer sight, but quite a few people actually own Sauters, Schimmels and Seilers, Bluethners and Bechsteins...

Last edited by SeilerFan; 12/08/09 08:34 AM.
Re: tuning prices varying according to brand? [Re: AJF] #1320901
12/08/09 08:39 AM
12/08/09 08:39 AM
S
SeilerFan Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
SeilerFan  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
S

Originally Posted by AJF
Seems like bs to me-especially considering that it's probably an easier and more straight forward job to tune a Steinway (or any high end piano) than it is to tune an old clunker.

I thought about this as well. This was the only tuner that I've ever encountered that has this sort of staggered pricing.

If I were the owner of a Hamburg S&S D grand and I were to call that tuner and schedule a tuning, I'd argue with him about paying me as the owner some money for being granted the privilege of working on a world-class grand. grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What happened to my avatar?
by gooddog. 06/25/19 09:16 PM
Chopin etudes by difficulty, Op. 10
by caters. 06/25/19 09:06 PM
A newcomer's practice log
by opsimath. 06/25/19 05:23 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics192,708
Posts2,841,947
Members93,715
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission