2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (beeboss, Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Hello, everyone,

This post is off-topic and actually irrelevant, but I thought I also could get a quick response in this forum where many people gather and exchange information. I apologize for the intrusion in advance.

For this Christmas, my family and I are considering to buy an antique grandfather clock to match a piano in our living room. Here is a photo showing one example:

[Linked Image]
(By Duncan McNeil)

The problem is that we do not know what to expect or the price range of these clocks, expecially given today's market. Even after reading books (and there aren't many) about them while studying at Barnes & Noble, I am at a loss as to what to look for.

Can anyone share their experiences with these antique grandfather clocks? It would help us greatly.

Thank you so much in advance.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
What is your budget?

Like used pianos, quality, refurbished, age, maker,original condition or not are all taken into consideration.

They can range from $1500, to $10s of thousands.

Gorgeous though, and in my realm of appreciation.

This is not the place to get an outside appraisal. Please try to purchase one from a quality dealer - just as with pianos.

(Edit - I have been in the antiques trade for several years although GFC's are only in my periphery of knowledge.)

Last edited by lilylady; 12/07/09 04:47 PM.

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
S
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
I would research on Ebay. Their offerings may give you a feel for the marketplace.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I own a few granfather clocks myself. They look great in a piano showroom along with Victorian art case pianos. The popular modern brands would be Howard Miller and or maybe Ridgeway.These can get quite pricey if you bought one brand new. To me it is a craig's list item in which persons are just selling them in lieau of changing their furniture criteria so... I sometimes get them when I buy their piano. I wouldn't buy an antique movement in that it is a specialty thing as for fixing them. They can get expensive because of the art case styling. Any other commodities one needs advice on. grin

www.pastperfectpiano.com
Largest selection in the USA
100+Steinway and M&H grands
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE
Have you had a grandfather clock in the past? I wonder if various models nowadays offer different settings so you can turn the hourly chime off if you wish. Every time I go to my grandparents their clock gongs however many times on the hour and it is insane!

That said, the prettiest ones I ever saw were in the Schwarzwald - the Black Forest in Germany!

Kristina Richards
Piano Arts of Sacramento

The Sacramento Blüthner Piano Store

G
G

M
M
I just purchased a Howard Miller "Diana" Grandfather Clock at the Philadelphia Home Show not too long ago:

http://www.howardmiller.com/webapp/...rent_category_rn=36152&top_category=

The wife picked it out, and matches our piano perfectly. I also like to look at antique grandfather clocks, too... beautiful.

(In regards to NEW clocks... someone mentioned "Ridgeway"... I think this is Howard Miller's cheaper line, not built in their factory in Zeeland, Michigan. In piano terms... if Howard Miller is the Steinway, the Ridgewood might be the Essex... (or Boston?)

Charles R. Walter 1520 QA Mahogany #531739 w/ High Polish, Renner and Quiet Pedal
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Not sure where you live, but if you're fairly close to a populated town or city, you should find a shop that cleans and oils grandfather clocks and antique clocks with mechanical movements and have someone look at the the clock you're interested in buying. I bought my Howard Miller GFC from a store that specializes in clocks and time movement repairs. A good clock repair shop can fix almost anything but it will cost $$$ (just like pianos). The picture you included is quite a key-wound beauty.

Good Luck

Last edited by j&j; 12/07/09 11:53 PM.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Thank you for your comments! Yes, we love the one in the picture.

(That store in Georgia is too far away from where we live, but thank you for your link)

Our current budget is around $4000, and we are considering modest 19th-century grandfather clocks like the one in the picture. The height also should be around 8 feet, but not taller.

I did do a search on ebay and craigslist before, but it seems the prices of these clocks vary significantly; I am not sure wh, but some clocks are listed around $9000 while others are around $3000. (They seemingly have no major difference)

If the clock is not working, how much usually would the restoration cost?

Also, are oak cases more valuable than mahogany ones?

Thank you for your inputs in advance.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
As with pianos, there is a lot to consider as to why the prices are different. Make, age, condition, rarity, restoration in the past or present, etc.

And restoration $ is also similar to a piano. Who is doing what? (not a question but a factor in $)

I do NOT think that oak would be more valuable. Just the opposite. The only oak ones that I can think of with possible more value would be Stickleys (Arts and Crafts master cabinetmaker)

American is probably more valuable than European here in USA.

Not sure if there is a website, but you might want to check out Delaney in Ma. They will be expensive but high quality. Hunt for the ENTER sign on the front page...hard to find.

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
BTW, how is the piano coming along?

B
B
Yes, how is the rebuild on the Knabe or Chickering (I can't remember) coming along?

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
1000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
1000 Post Club Member
OK - I'm going out on a limb based on the the photo only.

The clock is based on 18th C. design of English or Irish manufacture. I have no clue if it really dates from that period. What is in the photo has been cobbled back together from all sorts of pieces and could not be considered to be original.

The finials are the first clue. Those are American Military flagpole finials. They were just stuck in as the original mahogany pinned finals have been lost. The clock face raises questions as does the refinishing and veneer repair. The pilasters on either side of the face wouldn't have bright brass capitals or bases.

My high bid would be $1.5K, without a first hand detailed inspection.

All that being said, it is a very handsome clock. If you can get it for under $2K, with shipping, you will have done very well.

Marty in Minnesota
OP Offline
Thank you for the all the inputs.

For example, this clock is currently listed in my area, and is 7 ft 6 inches. It runs, but I think it needs a lot more work to really function on the daily basis.

How much roughly will this clock cost us if we try to have it refinished and reconditioned?

My piano.. it sadly was hauled away to a dump. (No, I am just joking, of course)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

OP Offline
One more thing: We really like this clock, but it is unfortunately in Massachusetts.

[Linked Image]

If there is anyone in the forum who had a clock moved during a long distance move, can you share as to how much would the shipping cost from MA to IL?

Thank you so much for sharing in advance.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
[quote=Avantgardenabi]Thank you for the all the inputs.

My piano.. it sadly was hauled away to a dump. (No, I am just joking, of course)

Were you trying to give us a heart attack?

As with pianos, you need to have a clock man give you the estimates.

My sister's grandfather clock (1700's) just needed a little attention to get is going. $65. She was lucky! It is gorgeous to me, but not your cup of tea - quite primitive and all original finish and insides.

Now...

to your piano...

give it up! let us know how you are doing with the restoration!

G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
The basic problem with these clocks
is when you try to run them. Some
people will not be able to tolerate
the noise of the chiming when they
are sleeping. This problem may
not be obvious at first, but it
can literally drive a light sleeper
nuts over time. If you have one
of these people in your house, you
won't be able to run the clock.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gyro
The basic problem with these clocks
is when you try to run them. Some
people will not be able to tolerate
the noise of the chiming when they
are sleeping. This problem may
not be obvious at first, but it
can literally drive a light sleeper
nuts over time. If you have one
of these people in your house, you
won't be able to run the clock.

Some though, Gyro and AGabi, love the sound of the clock ticking and chiming, even in the middle of the night and sleep well hearing it. Comfort, consistency, time passing through the ages and all.

Having visited at a few homes with gorgeous old clocks, I thoroughly enjoyed each 15 minutes of chimedom! Like a baby falling to sleep while parents play their acoustic pianos!

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission