2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (1957, Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,885 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by tsunami713
This isn't a calculus question.....And this should be a discussion not a flame thread. This topic isn't just simply answering a question. As all forum topics are, they are here to provide a good discussion of what different pianists all over the world believe. We are not experts on debate or literature. You're simply missing the point-simply to talk about piano.

Bravo!!!

I'm thrilled that you came back on here, and that you helped get the discussion to this better level. And, need I say, you're doing a great job.

There's an irony here, IMO. Putting things in admittedly simplified terms, some of your 'critics' are sort of saying that you were a bit dense in your questions and posts. The irony is that they themselves are being limited (and rigid) in their apparent view of what is or isn't reasonable material for a discussion forum, not to mention for human discourse in general. I see that some have come around, with your having clarified where you were coming from. I wish they could find it in themselves to be more open to such possibilities from the git-go, especially with new and young members; you shouldn't have to work so hard to show it to them.

Originally Posted by sotto voce
tsunami713,

I stand corrected. Your last two posts have given me a much better sense of the purpose of this thread.

I hadn't??? ha

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by MarkCannon
There's an irony here, IMO. Putting things in admittedly simplified terms, some of your 'critics' are sort of saying that you were a bit dense in your questions and posts. The irony is that they themselves are being limited (and rigid) in their apparent view of what is or isn't reasonable material for a discussion forum, not to mention for human discourse in general.

There's irony here, no doubt about it, but that's not it.

Steven

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
The irony is that they themselves are being limited (and rigid) in their apparent view of what is or isn't reasonable material for a discussion forum, not to mention for human discourse in general. I see that some have come around, with your having clarified where you were coming from. I wish they could find it in themselves to be more open to such possibilities from the git-go, especially with new and young members; you shouldn't have to work so hard to show it to them.
Oh do give it a rest!

Du holde Kunst...
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Alrighty, I actually don't know any of the pieces that the OP has posted (me and my limited repertoire...sigh), but I'm going to take the plunge and try to bring this thread back on topic. So a few questions for the OP to get the more knowledgeable forum members thinking:

1) What techniques do you typically have the most trouble with? (e.g. playing cleanly and rapidly, pedaling, etc.)
2) Which composer do you find harder to understand interpretively?

And for those who have studied or performed these works, simply state which one you think is harder and why, without over-analyzing why the question was asked.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by currawong
The irony is that they themselves are being limited (and rigid) in their apparent view of what is or isn't reasonable material for a discussion forum, not to mention for human discourse in general. I see that some have come around, with your having clarified where you were coming from. I wish they could find it in themselves to be more open to such possibilities from the git-go, especially with new and young members; you shouldn't have to work so hard to show it to them.
Oh do give it a rest!

Couldn't have said it better myself. grin

Originally Posted by wr
Couldn't have said it better myself. grin

Great. Let's see what you can do better. ha

There -- done. smile

P.S. Before you criticize me too much, realize that something may have been accomplished here.

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by sotto voce
tsunami713,

I stand corrected. Your last two posts have given me a much better sense of the purpose of this thread.

I hadn't??? ha

You can't make this stuff up.

Originally Posted by Frozenicicles
And for those who have studied or performed these works, simply state which one you think is harder and why, without over-analyzing why the question was asked.

Nor this.

Steven

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Umm...I was just making a tentative suggestion, but I'm sorry if I offended you. It's rather amusing how the Beethoven vs. Chopin thread has turned into a PW against each other thread. help

I completely didn't understand what he thought couldn't be 'made up," about my post or yours.

(I mean, maybe about mine a little bit ha but not yours.)

I expect to be put down for this post too.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by tsunami713
Fair enough then. And I believe that objective can be created when the subjective of everyone is combined if possible. But as you said, why don't we analyze each piece separately.

By stamina, you mean that your wrist will eventually give in?

Not really. It's that the piece requires some really big bursts of energy, over and over, and in that particular passage, it is difficult to start with a high level of energy in that broken chord figuration and maintain it all the way to the end, together with adding in the sforzandi. You just get tired. The figuration is somewhat awkward, for one thing.

By mood changes in chopin, I believe the hardest mood change is actually in the first and second pages (between the first intro of the theme and the second intro of the theme). A lot of people won't notice it, but Gb6 diminished chord in the left hand implicates a minor tone change already, since the melody is exactly the same but the left hand chord changes. I believe its supposed to give it a sinking feel. I would actually say that this whole piece has an icy feel to it. Of course, its talking about love or beauty, romance etc..but particular in an icy tone. Its like a dance on ice I suppose!

For me, the mood seems to frequently shift throughout the piece, and it is very hard to create a through-line of musical sense, because the structure is not straightforward. The mood shifts don't seem particularly "logical" to me on the surface. I have rarely heard even professional performances that convince me all the way through from first note to last. More often, I get the sense that the pianist is sort of wandering around sniffing the emotional flowers and making pretty sounds until the coda, when suddenly things get all serious and dramatic for no particular reason at all. No compelling story has been told, and I think Chopin is one of the story-telling composers, at least in most of his works.

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
I completely didn't understand what he thought couldn't be 'made up," about my post or yours.

(I mean, maybe about mine a little bit ha but not yours.)

I expect to be put down for this post too.

I wonder how a newcomer decides so quickly that he's got everything figured out and that it's necessary to apprise everyone of such through constant, condescending, divisive, self-congratulatory commentary. Will the continual dissection and analysis of threads' dynamics and the persistent criticism of others' opinions and posting styles ever end? Does the psychiatrist imagine himself a pastor, and this his pulpit for preaching?

In particular, I really can't understand why a mature mental health professional would want to have an overbearing, omniscient and omnipresent posting persona—or why anyone presumably trained to diagnose and treat narcissism and other pathologies would apparently have no self-awareness whatsoever.

Umm...I was just making a tentative suggestion, but I'm sorry if I offended you. It's rather amusing how the Beethoven vs. Chopin thread has turned into a PW against each other thread. help

Your "tentative suggestion" was worded as a directive; as an attempt to control the course of this thread, it seemed as patronizing as any other that's been made here.

Steven

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm sorry if my post sounded like I was trying to patronizingly cut off your conversation, sotto voce, since that was not my intention. I guess in forums you can't really communicate your tone of voice and facial expressions, so it's easy for people to interpret things differently than the intended message. I was simply thinking about how the OP's question might be addressed by members of the forum who had knowledge about those pieces, and perhaps I didn't word my opinion in the most helpful manner.

Now that I think about it, reading a forum post is rather like looking at a score. All the notes are there but sometimes you have no idea what message the composer intended (as wr insightfully pointed out about some interpretations of the Chopin piece).

I'm afraid I do have to disagree with you on one point...the length of time that a poster has been around PW or his/her profession shouldn't be a basis of judging their posts. I myself prefer a forum with old and new members from many diverse backgrounds and experiences.

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
I didn't invent the word upstart (or the concept), and anyone who doesn't think that one's profession is fair game for commentary needn't include it in one's profile.

Steven

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W

But much of the discussion was exactly about why it is basically impossible to do what you blithely just asked us to do, as if none of the previous part of the thread existed!!! At any rate, it's still close to the full moon, so this kind of outbreak of cantankerousness is to be expected. smile

In answer to your post -

Over the years, I have as an amateur somewhat haphazardly studied both pieces, although not with an expectation of performing them. Years ago, as a student, I did perform the first movement of the Waldstein, to give you an idea of where I am coming from. I am pretty familiar with them at the keyboard, anyhow. But I can't say which I think is more difficult, and that isn't some game I'm playing, but the truth. They are both very difficult, but in very different ways.

I really don't think it is possible to make that kind of "what's hardest" determination for a vast number of unique masterpieces that require virtuoso chops. They all pose unique problems for the player, so there's really not much basis I can think of on which to do that kind of comparison. And I also think it always really boils down to "what is the most difficult for me", and only the individual pianist can answer that (if they think it is important to do so).

Of course, if you are out to impress judges at a competition, that shifts the question into a different realm, but that's not what the OP asked.

I also think that grading systems tend to give people the idea that difficulty is some neatly categorized affair, but it isn't, especially when you get into advanced music. It's mostly opinions, and when applied to any individual, those opinions may not hold up very well.

.....I'm afraid I do have to disagree with you on one point...the length of time that a poster has been around PW or his/her profession shouldn't be a basis of judging their posts....

Thanks for that. That's another aspect of some people's posts that I simply do not understand. The things that I've said on here don't depend on longevity.

I know you're not 'taking sides' in this and I'm glad for that, among other reasons because it's just ugly. But I very much appreciate your making it clear that people here don't necessarily share that view.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Very good points, wr. I suppose it's different for every pianist, but I find that there are some composers or pieces that I "get" more easily than others. In terms of comparing the composers in general, I find that Beethoven pieces come a lot easier to me than Chopin does.

It's hard to classify pieces to one difficulty or another, as we've also discussed on the Mozart sonatas thread. I think exam boards tend to expect more from the performance of a piece when it's put at a higher level, but that piece may not intrinsically be more difficult than ones on lower levels. I've gone through an examination board system myself and the pieces that I thought were the easiest to learn and master, I scored the lowest because I was expected to play them with more finesse than some of the "harder" ones. If examiners expected a kid's Fur Elise to be like Valentina Lisitsa's, it'd probably be placed on one of the higher levels of difficulty.

......It's hard to classify pieces to one difficulty or another.....

It sure is, even more so when it's something like comparing pieces of different composers like Beethoven and Chopin. I mean, I tried anyway smile but not much.

While on one hand I think it's a bit futile to do rankings of difficulty, I'm also fascinated by them. I remember being transfixed when I first saw the "gradings" of the difficulty of Beethoven's works in Schirmer's von Bulow edition (the gradings apparently done by somebody named Sigmund Lebert). It was even better than seeing rankings of center fielders. smile

Even after I came to feel that such rankings were a bit silly, I still kept coming back to them with curiosity. I must admit I would feel good when I saw that something I was playing was ranked high -- and a bit inadequate when it was the reverse.

F
F
Good God, I weep tears of blood every time I see that 'Ha-Ha' smiley.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission