Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
144 registered members (agraffe, akc42, AnthonyPaulO, AlphaBravoCharlie, amad23, 7uturu, Animisha, anamnesis, Alex Hutor, 39 invisible), 1,273 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What's your opinion on Stroud grand pianos? #1319741
12/06/09 07:49 PM
12/06/09 07:49 PM
M
Mich17mak Offline OP
Mich17mak  Offline OP
M

Ok, hear me out - this is my situation...I just graduated from music school, so I do not have a lot of money, plus for the time being I am living with my parents until I can find a good job elsewhere (so I may be relocating when that happens), anyway I've been piano-less for several months now (used to have an Acrosonic spinet, but sold it before we moved...plus I need an upgrade since my "taste" had been altered while playing on nice pianos at school for the past several years) and it's inconvenient to have to practice at someone else's house...at this point I'm trying to purchase a really well-priced piano which I would be able to sell relatively quickly if I had to. I've been looking at many pianos in the area (private-sales, mostly from craigslist or from calling local technicians to see if they know of anyone selling pianos in the area) - all of the pianos I had seen so far were in poor condition (even though they were advertised as "excellent" condition and owned by "professional" musicians).
Anyway, I may look at several pianos that a technician is selling which I found on Craigslist, although 2 of them I had never heard of before - one is a Brambach baby grand for $1000 (however I've read that they are poor quality pianos, so I'm most likely knocking that one off the list) and the one that I would like your opinion on is a "Stroud" 5' Baby Grand...I had never heard of Stroud and I had not played on the piano yet (it's quite a drive away, which is why I'd like your opinion before I trek over to look at it). It's listed for $850 (which would include move and tuning) - I'm thinking that since it's priced so low that it's a poorly made piano also? - I asked them about they price, they simply said that they need to make money so they priced it low (...hmmmm...). I included some links to pictures of this piano (it was previously rented for an event which, I guess, is why the piano is not together).
Please let me know your experiences with Stroud grands - I know that you need more information (like how it plays, the condition) - but if you can just give me your opinions I'd appreciate it!

http://community.webshots.com/album/575816208Uvhssl

PS - I had looked at the Blue Book of Pianos...but it doesn't really help - they seem to make every piano manufacturer sound good...

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: What's your opinion on Stroud grand pianos? [Re: Mich17mak] #1320070
12/07/09 05:40 AM
12/07/09 05:40 AM
Georgia, USA
J
JimG Offline
JimG  Offline
J

Georgia, USA
I was able to find a short article that mentions Stroud in the following link. It appears that Stroud was one of over 60 piano brands that were consolidated under the Aeolian American Piano Company in the late 19th and early 20th century. According to the article, Aeolian made "something for everyone" -- and that included some of the best and some of the worst instruments ever made.

I am 52, and growing up in the suburban New York City area, I remember seeing Aeolian pianos in a lot my friends homes and in many schools. I do not recall the Stroud name.

http://www.bluebookofpianos.com/discontinued.html#AEOLIAN

For what it's worth -- $850 for a 5' piano that includes move and tuning sounds like a deal worth trying out. You also mention that it was recently rented for an event -- and that means someone actually played it in public -- so how bad could it be smile

Congratulations on your education, and good luck finding a piano.

Re: What's your opinion on Stroud grand pianos? [Re: JimG] #1320202
12/07/09 11:26 AM
12/07/09 11:26 AM
M
Mich17mak Offline OP
Mich17mak  Offline OP
M

Thank you for your opinion. I did read this article also, but when I was researching information regarding Brambach grands, I found that the Blue Book of Pianos made them seem wonderful, but then on every-other website/research that I did, everyone said they were poorly made, so I cannot take the Blue Book as pure fact since they seem to make all pianos sound great.
I guess it is worth trying since they would move it and tune it...they said that the person who played on it for the rented-event said it was a nice piano, but who knows - they could just be saying that to convince me. I will just have to see for myself :-)
Someone else told me that pianos made from the Aeolian Company were poorly made, but I did not personally know the person...If anyone else has opinions, please add on, I would really appreciate it!

Re: What's your opinion on Stroud grand pianos? [Re: Mich17mak] #1320216
12/07/09 11:33 AM
12/07/09 11:33 AM
M
Mich17mak Offline OP
Mich17mak  Offline OP
M

Oh, also...I looked at an A.B. Chase upright piano a few days ago - it looked BEAUTIFUL (it was rather plain looking, but the finish was great and it looked like it was in new condition) and it was about 100 years old (serial number 59332) - anyway, I played on it and the action was a little light for me, plus the sound was rather bright (it was also in a concrete garage-like room...since it was so old the hammers were probably worn-down also)...it used to be at a church, but I guess they did not need this piano anymore, so they moved it to the Pastor's house...anyway, he wanted $500 for it, but let me check it out even though I told him that I'd like to pay less...it was in nice condition from what I can tell (I'd have to bring a technician over to see if there was something there that I was not seeing) the only problem I saw was that the sostenuto pedal didn't work, and there were at least 6 strings missing (between 1-2 strings for 4 notes in the higher range of the piano). He was watching me inspect the piano and play on it, and could tell that I knew how to play piano fairly-well and that I really wanted a piano, so I think he'll offer it to me for much less (I asked around $150 since I figured I will have to have it tuned and have the strings fixed...plus I was a little iffy about buying a 100+ year old piano) - I think he might take the offer since they would like someone to have it rather then just sitting there. Any thoughts on that piano? I'd not too familiar with A.B. Chase or vintage uprights?
Thanks!

Last edited by Mich17mak; 12/07/09 11:34 AM.
Re: What's your opinion on Stroud grand pianos? [Re: Mich17mak] #1320368
12/07/09 03:06 PM
12/07/09 03:06 PM
Oakland
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
BDB  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B

Oakland
Stroud was a lower-level Aeolian make, and the pictures bear that out. A. B. Chase made good uprights. Both of these pianos are old enough that you would be doing the owners a favor by hauling them away for free. The amount of work required is more than a newer, better piano would cost.

I recommend that you look for something made since WWII at the earliest, and preferably something no older than the late 1960s. There are studio uprights from that era going for under $500, which should make them cheaper than one of these old pianos, even if you got them for free.

Semipro Tech

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha PF-1000
by Gavin24985. 03/19/19 09:09 AM
Happy Birthday Lennie Tristano!
by Dfrankjazz. 03/19/19 05:09 AM
“Spring Time” - A beautiful song
by Vũ Trần. 03/19/19 05:08 AM
Piano action issue
by kokatla. 03/19/19 04:31 AM
Practice session of Chopin prelude 3
by baudelairepianist. 03/19/19 12:26 AM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics190,989
Posts2,808,076
Members92,812
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission