2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (benkeys, brennbaer, AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,938 guests, and 327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
OP Offline
K
I'm new to the forum and thought I'd ask for feedback from people who have experience with these two DP's. I've read a lot of excellent posts on both models on this forum, but haven't seen anyone compare them directly.

I own a Casio PX-110 and it's served me well, but I've started playing an acoustic grand at school and have found the transition difficult. So I'm looking to upgrade and have narrowed my choices to the CP-300 and ES-6 because I prefer to have onboard speakers. My priorities are a heavy acoustic-like action to build strength for the school piano, and the capability to plug in a cd or mp player to play along with through the built-in speakers. I play primarily pop and rock, no classical. Any comparisons would be greatly appreciated!

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
This is a question more then a comment: Why the CP300 over the P-155?

I think they both have the same keys and sound. The CP300 does have a lot more features you'd want if you were in a pop/rock band. If so then why the MP6 which lacks that.

If the feel of the keys is the most important feature and you can afford a CP300 then look at the Kawai MP8. The Mp8 kawai's best key action.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
To echo ChrisA's sentiments, the P-155 is the natural comparison model with the ES6. I would also include the Roland FP4/FP7 in this selection also.

The CP300 is a great instrument with very powerful speakers (more powerful than the ES6 or P-155). The MP8II/MP5 (the MP6 doesn't exist yet) are similar instruments in terms of functionality, especially when serving as a MIDI controller, but do not feature built-in speakers.

Good luck with you purchase!

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
K
OP Offline
K
Thanks for the feedback. I didn't know the P-155 was in the same class as the ES-6. I guess I was categorizing according to price and touch. I've seen used CP-300's going for around $1800, new ES-6 for $1575, and used FP7's for $1400. A dealer who carries both the ES-6 and CP-300 told me he thought the Kawai had a more acoustic-like touch despite being less expensive. And I had read comments on this forum about the FP7 keys having a "bottoming out" feeling, so I more or less ruled it out. And although most rave about the MP8's action, it doesn't have internal speakers, and some posts have mentioned that despite the wooden keys, they didn't think the touch was THAT much different from some of the other higher-end DP's. So the ES-6 and CP-300 seemed like the best overall choices in terms of combining a good action along with built-in speakers. How does the touch of the P-155 compare with the ES-6 and CP-300?

And I had read comments on this forum about the FP7 keys having a "bottoming out" feeling, so I more or less ruled it out.

My recommendation would be to actually try the instruments yourself before ruling them out. The FP7 is a very popular model - who knows, you may find the touch to be quite agreeable.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
V
V
I found the yamaha GHE keyboard to be quite light, lighter than most acoustics I've plyed.
As I understood, you found the transition between the PX 110 and the acoustic hard, and now you want something even heavier?
If that is indeed the case, I would have to dissappoint you, becouse the Casio keyboards are the heaviest digitals I've ever played.

But if that's not the case, you indeed should try the Rolands, I found their action heavier as Yamahas, which suits me better, and it might suit you better too.

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by kennethkim
... How does the touch of the P-155 compare with the ES-6 and CP-300?

My reading of Yamaha' on-line web material is that the CP-300 and P-155 use the same GHE keyboard mechanism. So in theory the feel would be the same.

The CP-300 has a lot more features and controls that make the 300 a better MIDI controller, for example sliders that let you adjust the balance between two split keyboard sections in real time.

I'm still shopping. But I'm thinking I want a good keyboard feel and "decent" sound. I'll use a computer to add any features above that. In the Yamaha line the p155 is the lowest price piano with GHE keys.

I've yet to figure out which Kawai or Roland I'd buy. The P155 is near the top of my price range.

K
OP Offline
K
That's a great point you bring up regarding the "heavy" feel of the Casio Privia line. Perhaps a more accurate description for what I'm trying to find is a longer "depth of travel" that one finds when playing an acoustic. I very briefly played a couple of higher end Yamaha DP's and electric pianos and found that while their action may not have been any "heavier" than the Casio, they did seem to possess a longer depth of travel, which although didn't exactly duplicate the feel of an acoustic, came closer to replicating it than the Casio. I understand that touch is a very subjective matter and that perhaps there is no DP that will feel exactly like an acoustic, nor should I expect one to. But I still appreciate hearing your opionions on which of the various DP's, be they Roland, Kawai or Yamaha might best fit my criteria!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Kawai ES6 is nice, but has a lot of whistles and bells......you need to ask yourself what you want....only a piano or more...

Johan B

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'

https://youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic
P
P
If used Yamaha CP300s are going for $1800, please let me know where you're seeing those prices. I have a pending price match offer for a new CP300 for $1740 from an online music vendor. Unfortunately it expires this week and I'm struggling with whether to take it or go with a less expensive Yamaha P155 for my 14 yr old who will be starting piano lessons shortly. If CP300s are indeed holding their value that well, I will go for the CP300.

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by PianoDad1
If used Yamaha CP300s are going for $1800, please let me know where you're seeing those prices.

When people say that a used piano sells for XX dollars is that the asking price or the price it actually sold for? Many times you see used DPs in Craig s List for 80% of new retail price but they don't sell and you see them re-listed a month later. Finally when they do sell is was likely the seller accepted $200 less then the asking price.

About the CP300. It has some nice features for performance but for learning piano will you really need those slider controls and MIDI features? The P155 has slightly better samples inside, but smaller speakers. I think maybe for a beginning student the smaller speakers are best. Later when the student improves sell the DP and get another one more suited the needs of someone a couple years farther advanced. There will be better DPs at that time. DPs are like computers you upgrade periodically to keep pace with technology and you evolving needs.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I use a Yamaha CP-300, and it is a wonderful piano. It's not all fancy wood and trim, but Yamaha used that money to give the piano many other great features.

The stereo speaker system is clear, full, and quite loud, and when you are playing, it almost feels like there is a big grand piano spread out in front of you.

The action is super, and it has controller functions, like pitch and mod wheels, in case you ever want to control a tone module or a VST.

Kind of heavy for a portable, but I don't take it out on gigs.

Snazzy

Semper Gumby: Always flexible \:^)

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission