2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 9 invisible), 1,396 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
OP Offline
E
Just come across from Adult Beginners Forum where it was suggested I post my request in this section. On that forum my topic was "An OLD BEGINNER wants to learn music"

Here is that question please.

"FOLLOW UP TO MY LAST POSTING...

Michael Anderson of Pianomagic responded very helpfully to some comments I sent to him in the last couple of days. At which time he mentioned that whilst my Yamaha PSR-300 will be fine for a very short while, to learn to play the BIG sounds a SUSTAIN PEDAL would be required.

My electronic keyboard does not have such a pedal or a connection allowing one to be joined to it. So my wife and I have decided to invest a little money in a digital piano sufficient for my learning purposes, (we are retired and do not have by any means the funds required to purchase really good equipment).

This is where I have asked Mike to advise me if he has a few moments spare and I would ask anyone here too to help on this one before we reach a decision.

I have had a look round the internet here in the UK and for the only funds we can spare I felt something called the Yamaha NP-30S 76 Key Portable grand keyboard in Silver would suffice. Can be found here http://www.dv247.com/keyboards-and-midi/...n-silver--42874

I have a support stand able to be used currently at home, so the only additional items are the SUSTAIN PEDAL and THE KPA3 Yamaha power supply, which with delivery brings the total cost to £229.02.

Look forward to your comments when it is convenient for you.

Many thanks.
Dave"

Thanks for having a look.

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Here, the Casio costs less then the Yamaha N30. The Casio has better weighted keys and 88 of them. Maybe you can find a UK retailer with different prices?

You can learn on un-weighted keys. Many people here think a digital piano should perfectly emulate an acoustic. But, no a DP can be valid instrument in and of itself. Very light action keys are actually easier to play.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
The problem comes in when a student wants to play an acoustic piano, and they learn on unweighted keys. Then the fingers aren't strong enough (or trained) in the right way. Even organists will practice on an acoustic piano to keep their chops up. smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The NP-30 is a superb piano, giving you 76 graded soft touch keys, and stereo piano sound.

It is an extremely popular instrument for beginners, as well as people who have been playing piano for some time, due to it's attractive features, and excellent price.

Did you know that you can also get the cabinet in black as well as silver?

It only weighs 12 lbs, so it's easy to move from room to room.

One feature I really liked on the Yamaha NP-30 is the dual voice feature. This means that you can play two voices at the same time. My favorite is piano and strings. And it is very easy to do.

Highly recommended.

It is a particularly rugged instrument...my friend bought one, and she has three kids; two are taking lessons, and the 2-year old is playing avant-garde improvisations that only she understands. wink

It's held up remarkably well...no issues whatsoever.

Snazzy

Last edited by snazzyplayer; 12/03/09 01:07 PM. Reason: add details

Semper Gumby: Always flexible \:^)
E
OP Offline
E
Hi all

Thanks for advice and the full detail you went into for me.

I have come across the following link which I understand although the Casio PX-120 is discontinued and not available too easily here in UK a few places still have the odd one or two.

What do you think? Here is the link I am looking at:

DOLPHIN MUSIC in UK at http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/34416-casio-px-120-dark.html

All the best. Getting there..!!
Dave

PS I understand that the NP-30S does not have internal speakers. This was pointed out on the other section of the forum I am in. Found this to be important - hence Forum is a great source of help before I pay good money.

Last edited by eastcoast_dave; 12/03/09 04:22 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Dave,

Whoever told you the NP-30S was misinformed. The NP-30S has a speaker at each end, so you will hear your piano in lovely stereo sound.

Here are the specs.

Main Amplifiers: 6 W + 6 W

Speakers (12 cm X 6 cm) x2

The NP-30S is beautiful little piano, and I think you will be very happy with it.

Good luck,

Snazzy

M
M
I'm not sure what the market is in the UK, but around here, one can buy a new Casio PX-120 for $499 USD. That's not a sale price. The website you referred to, eastcoast, lists this at £ 374.99, which would be about $624 USD. Not much of a deal there on a discontinued item, IMO.

My students that bought the Casio PX-120, by the way, really enjoy it. But maybe shop around for a better price. Perhaps there's someone local you can deal with?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
E
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by Morodiene
I'm not sure what the market is in the UK, but around here, one can buy a new Casio PX-120 for $499 USD. That's not a sale price. The website you referred to, eastcoast, lists this at £ 374.99, which would be about $624 USD. Not much of a deal there on a discontinued item, IMO.

Locally in Cleethorpes and Grimsby there is only I think one dealer that stocks such items, and they as far as I know, do not have that item. In UK it includes of course the currently 15% VAT and maybe BECAUSE it is discontinued and perhaps a reasonable item, it is in short supply but a number of people will seek it out. Perhaps the dealers know this. Therefore could it be SUPPLY and DEMAND situation? Perhaps deals here in UK for this sort of product are not so easily available.

I am at this stage trying to decide between the quality of the two items I am looking at and thinking perhaps the extra money will be repaid over time.

Just don't know at moment. Thanks for posting though.
Dave

M
M
Well, before you buy, be sure to go try them out somewhere. You don't want to make a purchase like this without doing that step.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
E
OP Offline
E
Well, before you buy, be sure to go try them out somewhere. You don't want to make a purchase like this without doing that step.

I understand what you are saying Morodiene but on this East Coast there is very little place to go with only one local dealer. Also I don't take to driving long journeys these days as well!

Most of the time I will just have to read reports and forums and purchase via the internet with say just 4 years guarantee which they give me.

Thanks again.
Dave

E
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by snazzyplayer
Hi Dave,

Whoever told you the NP-30S was misinformed. The NP-30S has a speaker at each end, so you will hear your piano in lovely stereo sound.

Here are the specs.
Main Amplifiers: 6 W + 6 W
Speakers (12 cm X 6 cm) x2
The NP-30S is beautiful little piano, and I think you will be very happy with it.
Good luck,
Snazzy

Got back in touch with that guy who mentioned about the speakers and he said yes you are right and he had got mixed up on that one.

However he did make one comment which was this:

"2x6W is going to be a pretty puny sound" and perhaps I would still need external speakers.

So there is that also to consider...!!!
Dave

M
M
Many on-board speakers aren't really enough for a great sound. If you have a stereo amp and decent speakers, you can use a line out from the keyboard easy enough. I personally wouldn't necessarily make this aspect a deal-killer, but it may be important for you. My guess is a keyboard with better on-board speakers will generally cost more because it will have more bells and whistles too.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
E
OP Offline
E
Many on-board speakers aren't really enough for a great sound. If you have a stereo amp and decent speakers, you can use a line out from the keyboard easy enough. I personally wouldn't necessarily make this aspect a deal-killer, but it may be important for you. My guess is a keyboard with better on-board speakers will generally cost more because it will have more bells and whistles too.

Morodiene

Good analysis and advice. Take on board before I purchase.
Thanks.
Dave

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Dave,

The NP-30's speaker system is the near-field type, and is designed to sound best to the player seated directly in front of it.

The amplification is fine for that application.

It is not intended to give "room filling concert sound"...it is an inexpensive "personal" piano.

The piano sound is exceptionally good for the price; Yamaha uses AWM Stereo Piano Samples.

The other perks, like layering, reverb, transposition etc. make it an even greater value.

After seeing it endure the torture test my friend's kids put the NP-30 through, I was impressed at it ruggedness, despite it's very light weight of 12 lbs.

Definitely a good investment.

Snazzy

E
OP Offline
E
Snazzy

Thanks for info. Got it!! That is all I want it for, to sound OK to me sitting directly in front of it.

All the best.
Dave

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Dave...I just sold myself on the NP-30...I'll have one tomorrow.

I'm so embarrassed...I have no willpower. crazy

Snazzy

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Since I haven't heard the NP-30 I can't definitely comment on the sound from the built-in speakers. I will say this just for context. My first Yamaha digital had similarly sized and similarly placed speakers and it certainly didn't sound exceptionally good to me at the time. Just for comparison, the current top-of-the-line Yamaha stage piano (the CP-300) has 2x30W speakers built in; they're okay, but I wouldn't want to listen to them for an extended period.

Pianos are a particularly demanding sound source for most speakers. I currently use a pair of Yamaha HS50 50W near-field monitors about 2 feet from each ear in my desktop listening and mixing environment. I'd like more sound than even that (but I don't have the room). On the other hand, sound is an individual thing, and I think you shouldn't let speakers be the deciding factor in a digital piano. You can always upgrade the listening environment later.

The critical factors (to me) are touch (the keyboard) and the quality of the piano samples (which has nothing to do with the speakers of course).

Of course, everyone's MMV.

Paul Buchanan
Estonia L168 #1718
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I use/own a CP-300, and it's speakers are a lot better than 99% of the console pianos I have tried.

EQ'ing the CP-300 properly makes a big difference in the sound.

I'm pretty sure Dave just wants to sit in front of the piano and please his own ears...the NP-30's speakers will do fine for his application.

Snazzy

L
L
i think snazzy sold me on the NP-30 as well lol

~T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Fortunately, we all get to please our own ears (at least to the limit we can afford).

Snazzy, since you since seem to have experience with both, I'm interested in your opinion of the non-weighted NP-30 keyboard versus the feel on the CP-300 Graded Hammer Action keyboard.

Paul Buchanan
Estonia L168 #1718
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission