2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
60 members (B.Augmented, Animisha, Beansparrow, agent8698, AndrewJCW, beeboss, 1957, Adem, Almar, 11 invisible), 491 guests, and 476 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Kawai RX3 vs Brodmann PE 187
Norbert #1310902 11/23/09 11:39 AM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Norbert
While the above can be true in some cases - who wouldn't expect a Boesendorfer at five times the price to be somewhat better than a Brodmann - it is equally true that pianos not costing a king's ransom can and often perform to the full satisfaction of individual pianists.

That I wouldn't doubt, Norbert. It's not all about the price and definitely, surprises can be found in areas where one doesn't expect them. That reminded me of a little comparison that I could make between a Baldwin SD-10 and a Steinway D, both approx. 10 years of age. The Baldwin appealed much more to me and was only a fourth of the Steinway's asking price. That was a wonderful surprise! That rule thus not only applies to pianos but to life in general. Anyway, from my own personal experience playing instruments, in concerts, in showrooms, at friends' or wherever, I mostly tended to like the pianos best that were the more expensive brands, and that was really not based on the price or the name, but just on the sound and touch that appealed to me much more. When it comes down to having no piano at all or having a decent Chinese grand, there is no question what will be conducive to furthering one's talents better. I wouldn't doubt that. I also wouldn't doubt the tremendous and tremendously rapid improvements that the Chinese piano industry has undergone.

Last edited by SeilerFan; 11/23/09 11:41 AM.
SeilerFan #1315709 12/01/09 09:16 AM
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
I have had a Brodmann 187 for 3 years now, and its proving to be a great piano.

The dealer I bought it from offered post sale prep, so a tech came up and spent a day regulating it etc, and it was tuned twice inclusive.

The piano is still running well and gets a heavy pounding. I have it serviced about once a year and tuned about 3 times a year.

The piano cost me £7500 (UK pounds) which was with a discount, so I went for it. With a 10 year guarantee and a well-established dealer to back it up I couldn't go wrong.

A Kawai RX-3 is more than double that price here. There is no doubt that the Kawai is beautiful and is exceptionally well made. They have ultra responsive actions which stand the test of time. I would like a Kawai but I can't afford one at the moment.

If both pianos are the same price, go for the Kawai. Really. However, if the price difference was the same there as it is here, I'd sleep on it.

turandot #1316336 12/01/09 10:59 PM
H
Hop Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by turandot

To the glitterati, how much one can afford and how much one is willing to spend are pretty much the same thing.

To the literati, how much one can afford how much one is willing to spend are entirely different.
wink

So true.

If the "inferior" instrument is truly wonderful and in every way satisfactory or more, if it is either equal to or even marginally "worse" than the "better" one, at half the price, then it's hard to justify the extra money.

Truly the Kawaii is a fine instrument. But it is not in every way better than an equivalent Brodmann or Hailun. The differences in tone and touch are noticeable but not necessarily more desirable on any of these particular brands.

But if to you the "inferior" instrument is not truly wonderful or not in every way satisfactory, then it's not a good choice for you.

Hop

HG178, Roland FP-5, Casio PX 130
Hop #1316843 12/02/09 04:01 PM
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Tonally, the Brodmann may even be superior. For all its funny clicks and squeaks, it has the most beautiful tone I've heard amongst many pianos. The sound is not unlike S and S actually, although I appreciate it's all subjective.

Joseph Fleetwood #1316992 12/02/09 07:36 PM
A
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Lots of opinions here. Everyone has them. But they're not all equal. Sorry they're just not.

Chances are 9 out of ten 8 year old children would choose a McDonalds cheeseburger over fois gras prepared by a master chef at a 4 star restaurant. Who cares? I don't. But if I'm asking for *advice* regarding things of the culinary persuasion I'm not going to ask an 8 year old.
A lot of people post their opinions on this forum but very few qualify them with evidence of background experience. And those who *do* quite often get accused of being condescending and pompous. If Joe Blow from Wisconsin bought a Brodmann because he thinks it's better than a Bosendorfer or Kawaii well.... Great. He saved himself a tonne of money and he's happy. But if Joe Blow comes on this site and expects to argue his case on an even playing field then "show me the money!". If Joe blow is an accomplished pianist then he has my ear. If Joe Blow is a hobbyist, or amateur then yes, he has a right to his opinion but I'm going to take it with a grain of salt because his opinion is about as useful as that of an 8 year old's on the topic of gourmet cuisine (compared to that of a professional pianist who has probably spent thousands of more hours exploring the instrument and what it's capable of)

All I'm really trying to say is that if someone came on this forum looking for advice and had this myriad of opposing opinions to sort through, it might make it a little difficult to choose a direction to go in. Where as if posters were willing to give a little more disclosure as to where the opinion is coming from it might help "input seekers" choose whose advice they want to follow.

Pianist, Composer
Disclaimer: Shigeru Kawai Artist
AJF #1317032 12/02/09 08:48 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I have always believed that these type questions are best answered by a shopper him/herslef - provided he/she can play and discern the tonalities or "quality" of the different pianos on the market.

While this is not always as difficult as is assumed, confusions on the market increasingly comes from the difficulty to explain still major price differences between otherwise very "comparable" pianos.

That lesser priced pianos can and sometimes *do* offer as much or even "more" than their higher priced counterparts, is a sign of the times.

It's for shoppers to sort things out - may we wish them well!

Norbert thumb

www.heritagepianos.com
Greater Vancouver B.C. piano dealers for : Estonia, Brodmann, Ritmuller
604-951-8642
AJF #1317042 12/02/09 09:00 PM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
If Joe Blow is a hobbyist, or amateur then yes, he has a right to his opinion but I'm going to take it with a grain of salt because his opinion is about as useful as that of an 8 year old's on the topic of gourmet cuisine (compared to that of a professional pianist who has probably spent thousands of more hours exploring the instrument and what it's capable of)

An X versus Y thread is an invitation to one and all to give their take on two pianos. It is not a closed-door meeting of a piano review board. As such, the X versus Y thread may not seem all that useful, but to industry people who listen in here without saying much, it's an opportunity to sample public opinion of their wares.

Non-industry readers will undoubtedly value some opinions more than others either for the content itself or because of a kinship they feel with certain other members. Each person will draw his own conclusion, or even smarter, draw none.

Trotting out the old credentials argument (I have 'em, you don't) is silly, especially while expressing no opinion whatsoever of the topic.

BTW, no Joe Blow is registered here, although a JoBro did blow through here one day.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
turandot #1317066 12/02/09 09:36 PM
A
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
I like your point about industry people. I hadn't considered that. Thanks.
I wouldn't feel right to comment on comparison between those two pianos as I've only had a little experience with them. "Trotting out the old credentials argument" to me isn't silly. It's silly when its more *about* the credentials than the opinion. But credentials are what give an opinion weight. Sometimes the best credentials *are* "beginner hobbyist" as this may be the perspective someone needs for their own particular situation. But no credentials can leave an OP in the dark. I'm just saying that an opinion with context is more useful than one without. (eg. "I bought this piano because I wanted something affordable that I could enjoy playing as an amateur" or "I bought this piano because I wanted the best piano money can buy" or "I bought this piano because I wanted something that has what I perceive to be a limitless pallette for musical expression" etc. ) To me that's a lot more useful than "I bought x because it's better than y"

Pianist, Composer
turandot #1317067 12/02/09 09:36 PM
We like all dealers, have pianos at different price points.

From our perspective, it is not incumbant upon the lesser expensive piano to *prove* its lower price, but for the more expensive one to justify its higher one.

Questions like: " why should I pay x number of dollars more for this brand than for that one " are as real for us as for others.

In reverse one might ask " what am I *not* getting when only paying this?" have become regular part for most shoppers today.

When at a loss - and we sometimes are also - it's up to shoppers to make the final choice.

Interestingly enough one often notices a certain divisional line, but here I better stop.....

Norbert wink

www.heritagepianos.com
604-951-8642
AJF #1317120 12/02/09 10:39 PM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by AJF
If Joe blow is an accomplished pianist then he has my ear. If Joe Blow is a hobbyist, or amateur then yes, he has a right to his opinion but I'm going to take it with a grain of salt because his opinion is about as useful as that of an 8 year old's on the topic of gourmet cuisine (compared to that of a professional pianist who has probably spent thousands of more hours exploring the instrument and what it's capable of)

I completely agree with this. I don't think it's pompous to say that one has an informed opinion based on a myriad hours spent at the piano as a musician. It's rather pompous to disregard such advise.

ChrisVenables #1317121 12/02/09 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Chris:
World no.1 piano company Steinway have just purchased a quantity of machinery from the defunct Yamaha-Kemble factory in England.

Chris: I would be interested in a link to this story if there is one. Do you know if Steinway will be using this equipment in their Hamburg factory or just NY?

Lately it seems Steinway has been making a few interesting deals: Forbes Selling stock to Samick to pay off debt and provide general operating expenses.
Also, PW thread closing their restoration center.
And reportedly furloughing their factory workers with scheduled factory closure days.

I expect Steinway will gear up again once the economy begins to pick up, and they will continue to make a fine piano. That said, I am not convinced that the purchase pianomaking equipment from the defunct Kemble during this time is motivated by the pursuit of quality. they didn't make these moves before the Global Financial Crisis.

Their new movie, Note By Note..., certainly espouses a very different philosophy regarding craftsmanship.

Last edited by Kristina N Richards; 12/02/09 10:44 PM.
AJF #1317146 12/02/09 11:20 PM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AJF
I'm just saying that an opinion with context is more useful than one without.

For sure context is helpful, but different people will still weight its value differently. Some people kiss the feet of certain retailers here. Others regard them as nothing more than salesmen. Either way or anything between, there's no doubt they have credentials. smile

Adrean,

You could have made you point without the analogy to cheeseburgers and 8 year old children. Maybe it's coincidence, but your dismissive Joe Blow post came immediately after an infrequent poster named Joe80 left a bouquet to Brodmann. In a post shortly before, he had mentioned he had owned a Brodmann 187 for three years. I think ownership is worth something, so I hope it was coincidence.

turandot #1317163 12/03/09 12:04 AM
A
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
It was a coincidence. I could have said Jane Doe or Paris Hilton:)

Pianist, Composer
AJF #1317303 12/03/09 07:37 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
AJF and turandot (in that order :))

It wouldn't be right to blow Joe80's cover on the forum without his OK, but if he is who I think he is, I saw him recently on tv giving a very accomplished rendition of Grieg's Holberg Suite. Bearing in mind the piano must have been early 1900's, he made it sing. If he wants to, he can give us the link so we can all appreciate his talent.

Katrina:

re your request for a link, sorry there's no link - the info came to light during a phone call with Yamaha UK. I'll see what further details I can find, although polyestering machinery was one item.

Chris Venables
Venables Pianos
Yamaha Pianos, Petrof Pianos and Venables & Son
UK Grand Piano Centre.
ChrisVenables #1317335 12/03/09 08:23 AM
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Yes Chris that was me. The piano I played was a 1910 Bluthner, very nice instrument although the action is pretty worn out and it really doesn't compare to any new Yamaha, Kawai or Brodmann for that matter.

I don't claim to know everything about pianos but I feel I gave a balanced view. Kawai seems to be better built, virtually bomb proof infact.

Brodmann pianos have a beautiful tone. Perhaps not as well built but equal in sound.

I have an excellent tech who is a piano snob (if it's not Hamburg Steinway or Yamaha C or S series, it's not worth it) and he said that actually the Brodmann is a decent piano, great value for money and has an impressive tone.

He said the Kawai RX is an impressive instrument built to an exceptionally high standard, yet doesn't necessarily sound better and is a little on the pricey side.

If the two pianos being compared were being sold for the same price, and that is what the original poster had said, then I would buy the Kawai, if these were the only two options available.

Joseph Fleetwood #1317339 12/03/09 08:33 AM
Wow, it just seems natural that we take a post and always stray away from the original question. I'm just sayin.

Louis Bousquet
SeilerFan #1317344 12/03/09 08:38 AM
Online Content
Originally Posted by SeilerFan
Originally Posted by AJF
If Joe blow is an accomplished pianist then he has my ear. If Joe Blow is a hobbyist, or amateur then yes, he has a right to his opinion but I'm going to take it with a grain of salt because his opinion is about as useful as that of an 8 year old's on the topic of gourmet cuisine (compared to that of a professional pianist who has probably spent thousands of more hours exploring the instrument and what it's capable of)

I completely agree with this. I don't think it's pompous to say that one has an informed opinion based on a myriad hours spent at the piano as a musician. It's rather pompous to disregard such advise.

Agree completely and think this is not often mentioned enough at PW. If a relative beginner pianist can afford a 50K+ piano I have nothing at all against them purchasing it and it will probably give them greater pleasure than a less expensive piano. I am happy for them. But I also think that part of that piano's capabilities are wasted on a less than advanced pianist.

Although there is much debate about a pianist's ability to change the tone quality on a single note played at a specific volume, I don't think there is much debate about a pianist's ability, depending on their skill, to change the tonal quality when a succession of notes, i.e. music, are played.

Even when playing a simple piece, the tonal quality produced by an advanced pianist will usually be more far more beautiful than the tonal quality produced by a less advanced pianist when playing the same piano.

I think a pianist's correctness of judgement about a piano's tone is usually proportional to their ability to produce a beautiful tone when playing.

pianoloverus #1317532 12/03/09 12:38 PM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Interesting convergence of opinion on the meaning of 'pompous"

The questions that need to be asked are.........

1. Is it pompous to express an opinion of two pianos on a thread that solicits opinions even if a member is a less advanced player

or

Is it pompous to compare opinions of those presumed to be less advanced to the opinions of 8-yr-olds regarding cheeseburgers?

2. Is it pompous to trust one's own opinion over the opinions of those who claim thousands of hours or piano practice?

or

Is it pompous to say that members who in fact do that are pompous?

3. Is it pompous to buy for oneself a piano well beyond one's current ability with lots of headroom to grow in the area of tonal manipulation?

or

Is it pompous to say that such a piano in the hands of such a user is wasted?

I know where my votes would go, but in the spirit of "Let's All Be Friends". I will abstain from mentioning them.

It is interesting that these [lower priced X] versus [higher-priced Y] threads that challenge the Get-What-You-Pay-For premise are popping up with increasing frequency usually causing some pots to boil over.

Originally Posted by pianoloverus

Although there is much debate about a pianist's ability to change the tone quality on a single note played at a specific volume, I don't think there is much debate about a pianist's ability, depending on their skill, to change the tonal quality when a succession of notes, i.e. music, are played.

Even when playing a simple piece, the tonal quality produced by an advanced pianist will usually be more far more beautiful than the tonal quality produced by a less advanced pianist when playing the same piano.

Agreed, but what's the point? You ordinarily don't choose a piano for others more gifted than yourself to entertain you. You choose it for yourself and pay for it yourself. It's your money, your free choice, and your world. You may never drive it to its full potential, but it will enourage you toward that end.

turandot #1317561 12/03/09 01:13 PM
There are varying types of experience.

If one plays thousands of hours on the same piano, regardless of its quality, their jusdgement is less valuable than one who plays the same number of hours on a variety of instruments.

Also, one who has played many pianos of the same brand, is in a better position to evaluate specific pianos of that brand. For example, I have heard hundreds of U1s/U3s/C3s and now can tell when an exceptional one come along.

Piano Industry Consultant

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.
Steve Cohen #1317583 12/03/09 01:39 PM
In the real world the discussion about different brands or pianos is not as theoretical as described here but is for the most part ruled by *price* or *budget*

To compare pianos several thousands let alone tens of thousands of dollars apart,just doesn't make any sense any longer.

Most people express from the beginning to have a certain *budget* in mind and are seeking to get the very best piano for their dollar.

I've never seen this more the case than in the current market.

The moment a shopper's budget appears flexible, entirely different instruments could be introduced for comparison again.

That is why I have come to believe comparing certain brands and models in different price ranges is starting to make less and less sense.

The pyramid is clearly being built from the bottum up and at every price range there seem to be a number of interesting and highly competitive pianos to be had in today's market.

How these pianos effectively compare to each other is even for experts increasingly hard to tell but one thing is clear, the borders are becoming far less divisive than were the past.

"You get what you pay for" will be perhaps one day be replaced by "you pay for what you're getting"

Hopefully an instrument that gives you joy.

Norbert

www.heritagepianos.com
604-951-8642
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A must-have accessory for every pianist
by Nahum - 01/19/21 05:58 AM
Bach chorales for piano
by marklings - 01/19/21 04:32 AM
Introductions to the great composers
by Animisha - 01/19/21 02:43 AM
NAMM 2021 Keyboards & Digital Pianos
by Osho - 01/18/21 08:57 PM
Advice on Grey Market Yamahas - Melbourne, Vic
by Tim_Au - 01/18/21 08:08 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,375
Posts3,048,804
Members100,115
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission