2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 2,045 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
A lot of us have a few holiday tunes we can play so let's post 'em up here in one location.

Personally, I'm getting sick of all the made-up junk holidays....(black friday, cyber monday etc) and would really like to get into the REAL holiday spirit and listen to some nice Christmas/holiday piano tunes performed by our own members. So, if you've got anything, let us all hear it. Maybe over the next month we could all add a performance to the list. Don't be shy as this is not a recital or anything, just a place to have some fun and enjoy the holiday season along with the performances or our members.

(p.s) Mines coming next week as I'm currently experiencing a few "misfires" in which I press down the key but nothing plays. Tech is coming out Sat to tune and fix...I hope!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Here ya go Mr S-H. We have a holiday music thread on the Sudnow forum. I recently posted my arrangement of Silver Bells. In the process, I learned something of interest about the song (all credit goes to our brilliant forum leader).

Seems as though the working title of the song was "Tinkle Bells". One of the composers of the tune, Jay Livingston, went home and told his wife the name of the song. She said, "Are you out of your mind?". She explained to him the double meaning of the word "tinkle". grin

http://www.box.net/shared/7i6mcnbm7i

Barb

A Sudnow Method Fanatic
"Color tones, can't live without them"

To hear how I have progressed since 2006, check out: http://b.kane.home.mindspring.com
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Wow, Barb! That was terrific! My favorite yet of your tunes. I loved it. Great way to start the holiday music.
thumb

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Swingin' Barb
Seems as though the working title of the song was "Tinkle Bells". One of the composers of the tune, Jay Livingston, went home and told his wife the name of the song. She said, "Are you out of your mind?". She explained to him the double meaning of the word "tinkle". grin

Barb

smile One of my wife's favorite expressions - especially when traveling as we encounter yet another convenient location of "America's Potty" (aka, McDonald's).

Nice playing Barb!

JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Oh, I'm glad you started this thread, hunky. I really like the one we did last year. I'll have something soon. In fact, I sat down yesterday and rattled off a perfect take of my intended piece, only to go to the Q3 and see the error message: "memory full." mad bah

Guess I should've replaced the skimpy flash card that came with the unit with an 8GB card, huh? whome

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Barb,

That was just terrific....loved it....how you put so many ideas into that! Great!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Barb - I love all of the Christmas ornaments that you have hung on this great rendition. You have dressed this up nicely for the holidays!

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes
That was really pretty Barb! I enjoyed it very much.

I'm learning some new music for the holidays and hope to be able to record and post something here soon.

"Ah, music. A magic beyond all we do here!" J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, 1997.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Wow – I just checked the forum and this page started to grow. Hey – thanks so much everyone. You are making me blush. blush

Please, someone put up a holiday song. I feel so alone here. frown

John - I agree - McDonald's makes car travel enjoyable. smile

A Sudnow Method Fanatic

To hear how I have progressed since 2006, check out: http://b.kane.home.mindspring.com

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Good job Barb... I love the music of Christmas. It really gives my spirit a boost. I'll have something in a few days, probably a fairly bare tree though. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Terrific! I love Christmas music!

Barb, "Silver Bells" is one of my alltime favorites. I chuckled at your story of it's almost title, as my mom used to use that expression when we were kids. :-)
Love your rendition - nice harmonizing.

I'm working on "Greensleeves" ("What Child is This"), and it's coming along really well. It's the first time that I've used the overlapping pedal, and I'm really enjoying it. Unfortunately, I have no way to record it to my computer, but I'm looking forward to hearing a lot of great Christmas tunes here. Bring them on!

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Very nice, lots of rich chords, actually it sounds like you have extra fingers wink

didn't make me want to tinkle, which is nice.

Monika, that is so frustrating! grrr...

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Ok, I've been having a lot of fun playing Christmas carols by ear lately, and inspired by Scott Joplin, and jazzwee, and Swingin' Barb, I've tried some "interesting" chords. So here's my "reharmonized" version of Joy to the World with funky (for me) chords:

Joy to the World

It's a treat to figure these out. I've even tried Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire (The Christmas Song?), which I wouldn't have been able to do before. Life is so much fun laugh

Happy holidays, all -

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
M
M
Cathy, some surprising chords in there, but they work!

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Cathy,

Wow! That is so cool and joyful. I loved it. You were born to "reharmonize". You sound like you have been using those funky chords for years. smokin

I didn't want it to stop so, I just let it play for 5 or so choruses.

Barb

A Sudnow Method Fanatic

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Carl Mc
Good job Barb... I love the music of Christmas. It really gives my spirit a boost. I'll have something in a few days, probably a fairly bare tree though. smile

Thank you Carl. I'm glad your spirit got a boost. smile I'm looking forward to hearing your music.

A Sudnow Method Fanatic

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mom3gram
Terrific! I love Christmas music!

Barb, "Silver Bells" is one of my alltime favorites. I chuckled at your story of it's almost title, as my mom used to use that expression when we were kids. :-)
Love your rendition - nice harmonizing.

I'm working on "Greensleeves" ("What Child is This"), and it's coming along really well. It's the first time that I've used the overlapping pedal, and I'm really enjoying it. Unfortunately, I have no way to record it to my computer, but I'm looking forward to hearing a lot of great Christmas tunes here. Bring them on!

Mom3Gram - thank you. We need to get you into the 21st century for recording. Maybe you can put it on your Christmas wish list? grin

A Sudnow Method Fanatic

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Canonie
Very nice, lots of rich chords, actually it sounds like you have extra fingers wink

Thank you Canonie. No, I don't have any more fingers than the normal twelve like everyone else. grin

A Sudnow Method Fanatic

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Thanks Morodienne and Barb - I laugh every time I do it laugh But I couldn't play it twice because it would have just jangled out of control. Maybe before Christmas I can record the chestnuts one. But Barb, your sounds really do influence me, even tho I'm only using 7 chords in strange places at the minute!

Cathy

Cathy
That sounds great Cathy. What kind of piano are you playing?

"Ah, music. A magic beyond all we do here!" J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, 1997.

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission