2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, 4 invisible), 1,228 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1315429 11/30/09 10:06 PM
L
Lhowatt Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I am 17 and have wanted for a long time to learn how to play the piano. I really dont know much about them so im asking for your guys advice in helping me purchase one. I have $300 to spend on something to get me started. I know thats not much but thats about all i can commit since i no longer have a job. I really have no idea what brand to get or why.

~T
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
a new DP will cost at least $400 and up, and therefore $300 would not buy you a new one but a used one. as to new ones, the cheapest and decent starter DP is perhaps Casio PX130, which costs about $500. all other well known brand models (Yamaha, Roland or Kawai), even the entry level models, cost more.

so, unless you can spend more money, you may have to look for some used one, or some previous released models. be sure however, if you want to learn to play PIANO, you want to find something with weighted keys, like on real or acoustic pianos. please ignore anyone who's trying to tell you to just buy a 61-key keyboard with no weighted keys.

A
A
Im in the same boat youre in. So far Ive been recommended the Casio CDP100 it seems really good has 88 weighted keys it dosent have any features for synth but if your just looking to learn to play then this one seems good. Once I get a few more reviews about it Ill probably buy it...or not who knows but for $350 Im very tempted.

L
Lhowatt Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by AdventCloud
Im in the same boat youre in. So far Ive been recommended the Casio CDP100 it seems really good has 88 weighted keys it dosent have any features for synth but if your just looking to learn to play then this one seems good. Once I get a few more reviews about it Ill probably buy it...or not who knows but for $350 Im very tempted.

where have you found it for $350?

Also where would someone suggest i purchase a used keyboard?

~T
A
A
At Guitar Center

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
As the above post says, it would be best to get a 88 note weighted action instrument.

You won't find anything new for your price range, but a second hand Yamaha P-85 would be one of your best choices.

I have two of them, which I use both as stage pianos and as controllers...they are quite light, more than reasonably well made, and the piano sound is very good.

No auto-accompaniment functions, just a nice smooth actioned piano with graded weighted hammer action (top keys have a lighter response than the lower...like a real piano!) and excellent reliability. Mine have exhibited zero problems, in spite of above average use, and many gigs.

You may also find similar instruments by Casio and maybe Roland....just be sure the keyboard action is weighted like a piano.

Snazzy

Semper Gumby: Always flexible \:^)
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by AdventCloud
. Once I get a few more reviews about it Ill probably buy it...or not who knows but for $350 Im very tempted.

Today at Guitar Center it's $299 They are running a $50 off coupon on their web site. They will allow you to return it up until Jan 2010 if you don't like it. Just be sure to keep the box and packing

Last edited by ChrisA; 11/30/09 11:34 PM.
L
Lhowatt Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I am considering the CDP100 it seems to be a good buy and a good starter.

@ChrisA: I do not see casio on the listed brands.

Last edited by Lhowatt; 11/30/09 11:34 PM.
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Lhowatt
I am considering the CDP100 it seems to be a good buy and a good starter.

@ChrisA: I do not see casio on the listed brands.

OK so I read from their web site... December 6th

It looks like you might get your best deal if you go to the retail store in person. I saw a $299 price tag, no coupon required. Call them up and ask them. I don't work there I was just there for a half day last Saturday trying out pianos.

They are also offering 12 month no interest, no payment financing. They seem to have a lay away plan too where 10% deposit holds it.
All this is on their web site, you can read it there under "We make it easy"
http://www.guitarcenter.com/

Last edited by ChrisA; 11/30/09 11:51 PM.
L
Lhowatt Offline OP
OP Offline
L

~T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Lhowatt,

Although this instrument has a nice sound, the keyboard's Graded Soft Touch is not the same as weighted hammer action.

You may not build the same finger strength on the DGX-230, as you would on a P-85 or other graded weighted hammer action.

Moving from practicing on this instrument to an acoustic piano would not be easy.

Snazzy

L
Lhowatt Offline OP
OP Offline
L
What do you guys think of the CDP-100?

~T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The CDP-100:

The main piano sounds suffers from poor middle...top and bottom are good.

The second piano isn't very good.

The electric piano is good.

The strings and harpsichord sounds are good...the strings sound at their best when layered with piano.

The weighted action is pretty good, and feels okay for a budget piano.

If you can live with the main piano sound, which is your biggest concern, and the action appeals to you, it will make a good first piano for you.

I still recommend a second hand Yamaha P-85.

These are personal opinions.

Snazzy

A
A
The P-85 is nearly double the price though, So I guess its whats in your price range. So far the CDP-100 seems like the best choice for the price and reason of just wanting a basic piano to learn on. Any other ideas?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A poor sounding instrument, that feels bad to your fingers, that you got on the cheap and saved yourself a few bucks...is not a bargain.

You will play it far less often than a more suitable instrument.

There is nothing more disheartening, after a few days with your bargain baby, than thinking the words..."I should have waited and got the [insert brand name and model here]"

It might mean the difference between sticking with learning the piano and giving up, because you've made a wrong choice that may not be easily rectified (especially financially), and you can't possibly enjoy playing the instrument.

I knew a guy who owned a keyboard he hated so much, he didn't want to sell it because he didn't want to meet the person who would buy such a thing. wink

Don't rush into buying...listen to the ones who have made the mistake of impulsive buying (me, for one) and learn from them.

Snazzy

F
F
Originally Posted by Lhowatt

Yamaha does make a couple of keyboards with weighted actions, in the U. S. the YPG-635 is the most commonly seen. If you're attracted to the keyboard sounds and functions, that might be a good choice, but it is considerably more money than you are currently looking at spending.

Piano self teaching on and off from 2002-2008. Took piano instruction from Nov 2008- Feb 2011. Took guitar instruction Feb 2011-Jul 2013. Can't play either. Living, breathing proof some people aren't cut out to make music.
A
A
Originally Posted by snazzyplayer
A poor sounding instrument, that feels bad to your fingers, that you got on the cheap and saved yourself a few bucks...is not a bargain.

You will play it far less often than a more suitable instrument.

There is nothing more disheartening, after a few days with your bargain baby, than thinking the words..."I should have waited and got the [insert brand name and model here]"

It might mean the difference between sticking with learning the piano and giving up, because you've made a wrong choice that may not be easily rectified (especially financially), and you can't possibly enjoy playing the instrument.

I knew a guy who owned a keyboard he hated so much, he didn't want to sell it because he didn't want to meet the person who would buy such a thing. wink

Don't rush into buying...listen to the ones who have made the mistake of impulsive buying (me, for one) and learn from them.

Snazzy

Are you talking about the CDP-100 here? Im just interested in learning a few songs and the basics of a piano. Ill probably go nonstop for a month and see if I learn alot and if the piano is for me and if I dont like it ill return it before 30 days. I cant afford much else and so far the CDP-100 has gotten alot of good reviews and Ive watched some videos of songs being played on it and it sounds decent.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm talking about any poor sounding instrument, that feels bad to your fingers...not necessarily the CDP-100.

You have to decide if it's worth a short term investment...are you able to spend some time with it?

Snazzy

G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
If cost is a major issue right
now, I would recommend an
inexpensive, 61-key portable
keyboard. These can be
had for $150 or less. When
you get one, make sure it comes
with the factory AC adaptor
included in the box, because
some don't come with one, and
finding an adaptor can be almost
impossible. If you buy it
in a store, and they try to
throw in an aftermarket adaptor,
make them open everything up
right there and prove the
adaptor fits, because chances
are it won't.

People sneer at these, but
they are serious, sophisticated
instruments in their own right,
real pianos, in a sense. The
clunky piano J. S. Bach used had
only 49 keys and nothing like
the grand piano voice of
a modern 61-key portable.
It is no uncommon for students
to take several yrs. of classical
lessons using a 61-key portable
to practice on. They have
little trouble adapting to
the acoustic piano in the
teacher's studio.

L
Lhowatt Offline OP
OP Offline
L
So as someone who has a tight budget and is not so sure about playing the piano a cheaper 61 key keyboard would be a good idea? I plan on buying an acoustic piano in the far future if i turn out to be very interested in playing. How hard would the transition be from non weighted to weighted keys? Are there any 61 key keyboards with weighted keys?

~T
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission