2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
33 members (busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, 3 invisible), 1,300 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1314345 11/29/09 12:54 PM
W
OP Offline
W
Hey! I'm selling my Casio WK-110 for a better piano ... and have found three options I'm interested in. Ok, once I saw the Yamaha Clavinova I immediatley fell in love ... ahh ... lol, but when I looked at places on the internet that sold them for a low price (under $1,000) I only found old ones. I've found a CVP-50 and a CLP-820. After finding out how old both of those are .. I started 'trying' to take my mind off the Clavinova ... and my friend recommended the Yamaha DGX-630, and I'm thinking about getting that one. So, out of those three, which do you think I should choose?

I can spend from $1 and to the highest $1,000, but would prefer $800.

--WhittWhitt--

V
V
Unfortunately, for that budget you probably won't be able to get anything new that would be a great piano.
The DGX 630 offers a ton of voices and accompaniements and stuff, whic you wouldn't really need if you're a pianist. Also, it uses Yamahas GHS action, which isn't really as good as Yamahas other actions.
You could try to find a used instrument, or you could try some other brands and models, like the Korg Sp-250, which is a great piano for it's price, or the new Privia series from Casio. Maybe even the Kawai CL-35.

Also, one option is to try and find if they sell the Yamaha P-140 anywhere, I heard it sells for a bit les than 1k $.

H
H
Look up this links:

Casio PX-830 (excellent sound)
Korg SP250 (excellent keyboard)

P-85 cheap plastic imitation; not because of sound, but weight.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by whittttihw
I saw the Yamaha Clavinova I immediatley fell in love ... but when I looked at places on the internet that sold them for under $1,000 I only found old ones ... CVP-50 and CLP-820.
The CLP-820 is not a good choice at any price. It was bottom-of-the-line 10 years ago.

If you can find a CLP950, 970, or 990, those would be good choices. Not as old, and very good. (Some people here have seen some of the 900-series units for sale, but apparently you haven't. I wonder where you've looked?)

Meanwhile, the cheapest Clavinova (new) will set you back nearly $2000. The better ones are much higher. So skip that.

In your stated range, you'd have to settle for a low-end unit (if new). But you still should look for used units. They depreciate quickly and you might well find something for under $1000. (And remember, the asking price is not the selling price. As Gyro points out, there's lots of room to work a deal on used equipment.)

Perhaps if you set aside the Clavinovas (CLP-series) and look at other lines (YDP-series, and others), you might find something suitable. Example: The YDP160 is a current model. But if you can find one used for under $1000, that might be a good choice.

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
In the Yamaha line, if your budget is $1,000 you can get a P140 right now for $999. The P140 has Yamaha's better quality GHE key action. All of the Yamahas less than $1K have the lighter "GHS" action. The P140 is the same as the P155 except the P155 has better sound samples

I was in Guitar center for a while yesterday. The salesman said they will routinely give a 10% discount and maybe on some items 15%. So that means that with sales tax added back on the P140 just makes your budget.

The sound inside the P140, while older than what's inside the P155 is still several years ahead of what's in those older Clavinovas and if later you add external speakers to the P140 the sound can be better

Last edited by ChrisA; 11/29/09 01:54 PM.
J
jis Offline
J
Hej

I do have the DGX 630 (YDP 635 in US?). The pianosound is good enough, but the strings and guitar are not so good. If you only want to use the piano for serious and play around with the rest, It is a good choice.
I do have another problem with the piano though, because the keys are pretty noisy, but I can not compare with other instruments...It might be the same with all digitals?
If you want to record a lot, the dgx has only a 5 track-recorder.

Good luck
Jis

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
The Clavinolas are more expensive than the DGX (YPG 635).

I got my new YPG 635 discounted to $739, with a free bench thrown in and free shipping. I've seen it on sale days going for about $735, so you can get it way under $1000. The MSRP is $1299, but pretty much everyone sells it for $899, and on sale you could get another $150 or so with free shipping online.

It has a lot of really good voices and some educational features. You can't beat it for the price, although the pure piano sound might be better in some other models.

W
OP Offline
W
Thank you!! I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get the DGX, but as long as you've had it, you haven't had any complaints?

K
K
A tiny thing to add in.

DGX series are great for beginners, but in terms of long term, it won't do you much good. Eventually those "extra" stuff, will be worthless. And the weighted keys are on Yamaha's low end quality, also the speakers are quite bad.

Don't let what I said discourage you, but do think twice before you waste 700+ dollars, because it is a lot of money.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
If you really want to learn to play the clarinet or to continue to polish your clarinet playing skills, don't buy a kazoo!

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
Work for west coast dealer for Yamaha, Schimmel, Bosendorfer, Wm. Knabe.
W
OP Offline
W
Really? What kind of piano do you think would be worth $700? I haven't really looked around much for different brands or stuff like that ... but I heard Yamaha is actually a bad brand to get ...

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
You can't go wrong with a DGX Piano...as Nikalette says, it has great sounds and some neat features.

It is one of Yamaha's best sellers.

Snazzy

Semper Gumby: Always flexible \:^)
J
jis Offline
J
You cannot say that the DGX is good or bad, it depends on who is playing it with what kind of goal behind it.
If you want to learn how to play the piano AND play around with the keyboard features it is good enough for some time (but it depends on your progression).

I have had the DGX for 10 months, but now feel that I want better sounds, and less 'play-around stuff') I do have a musical background and ear though, so I do progress a bit fast. Some might be happy with the DGX for some years in a row
It really depends...

Good luck making your choice. smile

Jis

(walz on my page recorded on DGX 630 - have a listen, only the fist, the others are midi)

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission