2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
W
I want to ask what "playing by ear" means to you.

Describe the exact process of how you would learn a song only by ear. Go step by step.

To do this, try playing a song only by ear. Pick something fairly easy, like Fur Elise or Moonlight Sonata. A song that you know but haven't memorized before or know the sheet music to.

Or find one completely new to you, that you have a recording of, on CD, mp3, youtube... If you have the sheet music to it, you can verify how accurate you were after.

Just try the first section or theme. See how well you do.

Those who want to can post up results of their playing.

This method can be taught to complete beginners on the piano. I do it with my students exclusively.

I'll post how I approach it after hearing what others think.

K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Playing by ear means different things to different people. To me it means working out how to play something using only my memory and my understanding of the relationship between sound and finger movements. But it doesn't stop being `by ear' (to me) even when you've played it so many times that your fingers work on their own. But other people would disagree, I guess.

I don't really have an answer for your, as I've always felt that I cannot play by ear. I can find a melody by "hunt and peck," but I don't hear a stream of intervals easily. I had no ear training as a child, (something I certainly include with my students!), and it's hard going as an adult. What I do notice, however, is that if I know a tune by ear (to hum or hear in my head), but have never before seen the score, my sight-reading of printed music will be much smoother than if I had never heard the piece before. That must mean that I'm doing some level of playing by ear, no? I would be interested to hear if others have that experience as well.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
www.cameronparkpiano.com
Full-Time Private Piano Instructor
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Playing by ear has a clear meaning and should not mean different things to different people. It means learning to play from pure straight-through and up-to-tempo listening to the music, and not from reading - but not from demonstration either. Learning to play by having it demonstrated to you bit by bit is called learning by rote, and is quite different because rote learning involves a teacher who keeps repeating little parts (or the whole thing) as necessary. Wizard: I suspect that perhaps you mean rote learning - unless you're just playing the song straight through & up to speed a few times and then saying "your turn".

(I'm a piano teacher.)
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I sit down at the piano and someone can give me the name of a song that I've heard on the radio or elsewhere, and I can figure out the melody, then add a nice LH chordal accompaniment. To me, that is playing by ear.

Music School Owner
Early Childhood Music Teacher/Group Piano Teacher/Private Piano Teacher
Member of MTAC and Guild
R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
To me, there are two different ways of playing by ear.

The first, is when I have to try to play along with a song, as I am hearing it for the first time. (the equivalent to 'jamming' with a band)

The second, is listening to a song and afterwards, working out how to play it.

This is something I do almost daily, mostly with guitar students, but often with piano.

My process is as follows:

1. Identify the key. Usually, listening for the lowest bass note played, helps with this.

2. Identify the basic chord structure, and bass line, listening out for predictable repeating patterns, modulations, etc.

3. Once I have the basic skeleton, and the melody is committed to memory, it is just a matter of putting it together, and polishing the piece.

Rob
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by dumdumdiddle
I sit down at the piano and someone can give me the name of a song that I've heard on the radio or elsewhere, and I can figure out the melody, then add a nice LH chordal accompaniment. To me, that is playing by ear.
Exactly. Better styles of playing by ear involve making your accompaniment more like what you heard as well, and/or being able to manipulate the chords in nicer ways.

Last edited by david_a; 11/28/09 01:31 AM.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
I'm assuming you mean something you know, in the sense of could sing, or could hear in your mind.
I think the process is something like:
- recognise that (for example) the piece begins with the tonic chord (minor) and the melody starts on the 5th (in the case of moonlight sonata).
- more or less randomly choose a key to begin in (as I don't have perfect pitch). Just as easy to play it in B minor, E flat minor etc as C# minor.
- play the chords and melody which my ear tells me to. That is, I imagine what the chords and melody should be and then play them. I suppose at one stage in the past it was trial and error, but (for straightforward things) I now go straight to it. Because I recognise what I'm hearing (in my mind), I can play it.
- refinements in accompaniment style and part movement as mentioned by david_a.

This is not the same as learning to play something by rote (and I don't know if that is in fact what Wizard means) - it's playing what you hear, even though in my case it may be in a different key, and I would generally use it for pieces that I "know" in the sense of "could sing it".

Du holde Kunst...
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
"Play by ear" means a person can play a piece of music on the piano without using the printed score. He hears the recording or watches the video many times, then tries to search for the notes on the piano. It works best for simpler melodies, or music with homophonic texture. I really can't imagine it being done to Bach Fugues.

As a classically-trained pianist, I did not get any training in playing by ear. I think it is an essential part of being a well-rounded musician. However, I think part of playing by ear should be music theory and harmonization of melodies, and maybe a little bit of improvisation, too.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
I might just mention one very useful aspect of playing by ear, and that's transposition. If I have to transpose an accompaniment of a song for a singer at first sight it can be challenging, depending on the piece. But if it's a song I know well in one key I just play it by ear in the other key, rather than transposing as I read. So rather than reading an E major chord and thinking, eg, "down a minor third" I just think of the song and play it by ear in the new key.

Du holde Kunst...
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
However, I think part of playing by ear should be music theory and harmonization of melodies, and maybe a little bit of improvisation, too.
I agree. They're interrelated.

Du holde Kunst...
W
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
W
Perhaps a visual demonstration by two of the greatest living musicians in the world would help explain it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQaASwkqi9E

Go to 6:00. This is more "call and response", and both Wynton Marsalis and Yo-Yo Ma are playing by ear, except Yo-Yo is just copying what Wynton is doing. Pretty cool though!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
When memorizing a piece I always play the 'tunes' by ear - it's instant.

R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
When in Wales, I can play 'by 'ere', and also 'by there'

Rob
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I learnt to play these two pieces by ear without a score, though they are currently very unpolished, I've just memorised the RH melodies and still need to add some LH to them, but am focusing on Joplin too much to give much time to these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHr-1xmk-Vw

And this one I love to play on the Harpsichord voice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0to-Ls4XNA

With the more advanced Joplin music, I need to learn and memorise the melodies by ear, then learn the notes from score.

Last edited by Bhav; 11/28/09 08:06 AM.

'Its too rare to break a hand from playing the piano ... But playing Hanon as written will break your hand'

- Self proclaimed 'piano teachers' on the internet.
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Improvising is not the same as playing by ear. Improvising is composition. Playing by ear means what you are playing has already been composed and you are able to copy it note for note at will.

One special and odd way of playing by ear is playing right along with somebody copying him note for note on something you have never heard. It's hard for me but some people are very good at it.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
Improvising is playing by ear what you have just composed.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission