Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
140 registered members (Amirhsol, AnthonyPaulO, Animisha, ando, 7uturu, Alex C, agraffe, alexk3954, Arty Movie, anotherscott, 39 invisible), 1,265 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Has Anyone Heard Of Opus/Cristofori Pianos? #58909
10/22/05 10:02 PM
10/22/05 10:02 PM
P
Pefection Offline OP
Pefection  Offline OP
P

The Opus now Christofori piano? I was at Schmidt today and I loved this little guy. It's5'4" and was warm/mellow and the action felt great. It's reasonably priced and I would like more information. Apparently this is designed by Schmidt built in China and this little guy could play some very romantic music with the softness. There were many Boston's Yamaha's and others that I hated because they were so darn loud.

Let me know your thoughts. I know these pianos are very new, but ANY input would be appreciated.

Thankyou

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Has Anyone Heard Of Opus/Cristofori Pianos? #58910
10/23/05 08:25 AM
10/23/05 08:25 AM
J
Justplay Offline
Justplay  Offline
J

I heard of it, and will probably try to find one to play. I'll let you know what I think.

Re: Has Anyone Heard Of Opus/Cristofori Pianos? #58911
10/23/05 03:44 PM
10/23/05 03:44 PM
Albanypark38 Offline
Albanypark38  Offline

Don't get too excited. It is a Chinese piano. Know nothing else about it. I think it is Sejung piano.

Re: Has Anyone Heard Of Opus/Cristofori Pianos? #58912
10/23/05 07:33 PM
10/23/05 07:33 PM
Utah
Eins Offline
500 Post Club Member
Eins  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Utah
Perfection,
I think if you would perfect your subject line and add the name Opus/Cristofori, you would get a few more responses.

It is called communication wink

One of the funny things about the stock market is that every time one person buys, another sells, and both think they are astute.
-William Feather
Re: Has Anyone Heard Of Opus/Cristofori Pianos? #58913
10/23/05 08:01 PM
10/23/05 08:01 PM
Nashville
Ace30 Offline
Ace30  Offline

Nashville
This piano may be a custom-stencil brand. I can find nothing on Dongbei's or Sejung's websites about making such a name -though that doesn't mean they don't since they make many pianos for diffrent customer names. But I agree with Albanypark38 that it's still probably Chinese. But the point is, if you really love it that much... buy it! Just make sure whoever or whatever "shcmidt" is, offers good service in case warranty issues come up.

Ace30

I tried.
Re: Has Anyone Heard Of Opus/Cristofori Pianos? #58914
10/23/05 08:05 PM
10/23/05 08:05 PM
Virginia
Greenlee Offline
Greenlee  Offline

Virginia
I played an "Opus II". A 4'8 was going for around $7,200. I am not sure if this is the same thing though. I really liked the way it sounded, but I felt safer going with something that had more of a name, and was at least listed in Fine's book.

[Linked Image]
Re: Has Anyone Heard Of Opus/Cristofori Pianos? #58915
10/24/05 05:20 AM
10/24/05 05:20 AM
Virginia
e Offline
e  Offline

Virginia
I played several Opus II pianos at my local Jordan Kitts shop. They told me that these were Chinese-made in a factory they set up under requirements and QC that were very strictly governed by Jordan Kitts' people. So it is a "custom stencil" brand being mass-produced for the dealers. I played a couple of uprights and they seemed ok to me - nothing to jump up and down about, but rather inexpensive for new pianos. I decided to go with a brand with a track record, since these Opus pianos are so new. I also heard they were changing the name of them, because Opus is a name that is apparently owned by Steinway.

Regards,
Eric

Re: Has Anyone Heard Of Opus/Cristofori Pianos? #58916
10/25/05 05:00 AM
10/25/05 05:00 AM
Singapore
M
Merlion Offline
Merlion  Offline
M

Singapore
Not too sure is you meant Cristofori ?
http://www.piano.com.sg/grand/crist_c_grand.html

There's a company here in Singapore under this name and they teach music and sell pianos as well under their brand. One of series of the grand pianos is the Cristofori Niemeyer which are from Dongbei. I've tried them and sounded mellow indeed, but I've yet to try them again as the ones I've tried before at their showroom were not well-tuned. They sounded much better than the Samick grand, which were too bright for me.

Re: Has Anyone Heard Of Opus/Cristofori Pianos? #58917
10/25/05 07:58 PM
10/25/05 07:58 PM
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Steve Cohen Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Steve Cohen  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Maryland/DC/No. VA
These pianos are made in China by Sejung. They are carried only by Jordan-Kitts and Schmidts. Sejung has agreed not to sell any of their pianos (even private label) to any other retailer in the markets covered by JKM and Schmidts so that consumers will not be able to price compare them locally.

They originally were to be called "Opus", but as some mentioned the Opus name belonged to Steinway who objected to its use. They settled on "Cristofori". A few containers of the "Opus" models were shipped before Steinway objected.

The pianos are basically like other Sejung pianos, but supposedly receive a more extensive "prep" job at the dealership, particularly voicing. They are priced at very high margins and warranties are only backed by the two chain-stores.

They have trained their sales force to "sell off" Kawai and Kohler & Campbell with side-by-side comparisons of like sized models of Cristofori. While many might prefer the Kawai tone, they point out that there isn't enough difference to be worth the substantial difference in price.

They make more selling a 5'9" Cristofi than they make selling and RX2!

Piano Industry Consultant- http://www.linkedin.com/pub/steve-cohen/6/b92/b80

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.
Re: Has Anyone Heard Of Opus/Cristofori Pianos? #58918
10/25/05 09:15 PM
10/25/05 09:15 PM
Utah
Eins Offline
500 Post Club Member
Eins  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Utah
I can understand that Steinway opposes the use of Opus if they own the rights to that name. What amazes me is that the inventor of the piano's name is not owned or registered somewhere other than by a company who runs or joins venture with a Chinese piano factory.

One of the funny things about the stock market is that every time one person buys, another sells, and both think they are astute.
-William Feather
Re: Has Anyone Heard Of Opus/Cristofori Pianos? #58919
10/25/05 09:27 PM
10/25/05 09:27 PM
P
Pefection Offline OP
Pefection  Offline OP
P

Well, went back to play those Cristofori pianos. It was kind of strange because I tried the 5'4" and heard an aweful ringing at middle C. I asked the salesman to play the other 5 on the floor and, sure enought ALL OF THEM had the same ringing noise. I also noticed that the ones on the floor that had been there longest had very, very squeaky keys.

Also, when I asked the dealer anything about the parts of the piano, he was completely oblivious. When I asked what parts were laminated, i.e., sound board, he said what do you mean laminate is wood... When I asked about the hammers, he said they're good ones. When I asked about the action he said it's good as well. He knew NOTHING about how this piano was made but INSISTED they were real good high quality parts???

Oh, he did say it had Steinway strings...but didn't elaborate.

I actually am glad I went back today to play because I wasn't at all impressed. I don't know what hit me last week about them except that I only took a few minutes. Today, I really, really looked at them and heard them all. All of them had the same buz in the same area of middle C. I asked the sales person how much time is involved in prep and he basically said just a tuning and the tech went over everything. I insisted he knew that I and others are under the impression that Chinese pianos needed a lot of prep, but he insisted they are ready out of the crate. I told him of a rep that sold Perzina close by that said it took him 2 weeks or so to prep a Carl Ebel and he said that theirs won't need that because they come in perfect. I truly truly disagree with this approach and really believe that ALL pianos need good prep work and if you don't prep them properly, then...you get what I witnessed, i.e., buzzing, ringing, harsh tones, etc., etc.,

Why is Schmidtt selling these pianos unprepped? since there is such a high mark-up, why can't they put in more time to prep them properly?

Can they be good pianos if they're prepped right? I am going back Friday to see if the tech could fix those noises and also voice a couple.

We'll see...

Re: Has Anyone Heard Of Opus/Cristofori Pianos? #58920
10/25/05 10:05 PM
10/25/05 10:05 PM
divadeb Offline
500 Post Club Member
divadeb  Offline
500 Post Club Member

I don't know anything about the construction of the Opus. My only reference point currently is that a good friend bought one about three and a half months ago. He had it for about 3 or 4 weeks and was starting to feel really crummy about it. I went to play it...it was terribly out of tune. He'd had Schmitt's tuner out the day before! It just wasn't holding. The guy came out and tuned one more time and gave up. He traded it in (they were accommodating, no problems with the exchange) for a G series Yamaha and is happy now.

If you go with the Opus...make sure you feel comfortable with the guy you buy it from. Just in case you aren't happy with it once it's home.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

www.divadeb.com
Re: Has Anyone Heard Of Opus/Cristofori Pianos? #58921
10/25/05 10:13 PM
10/25/05 10:13 PM
Lexington, Kentucky
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Monica K.  Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Lexington, Kentucky
Originally posted by Pefection:
Can they be good pianos if they're prepped right? I am going back Friday to see if the tech could fix those noises and also voice a couple.
I think it's good tht you're going to give them another try, but my money is on you finding them just as dissatisfying the next time. Your post really didn't have much encouraging to say about them, and it doesn't sound like the dealer is willing to prep them thoroughly.

What is your general budget and what other brands have you looked at so far?

Re: Has Anyone Heard Of Opus/Cristofori Pianos? [Re: Pefection] #1312331
11/25/09 06:39 PM
11/25/09 06:39 PM
CebuKid Online content
1000 Post Club Member
CebuKid  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Sorry to "resurrect" this thread, but I'm a noob to the Piano Forum.

I have a Cristofori which I just bought in Feb. 2009. When I first got it, I was filled with regret (in fact, I've seen this very same review back then). I, too, "heard" what I called a strange "twang" around middle C. Then, I had it tuned in April. It now sounds great. It very much suits my family's needs and budget. My daughter and I are both beginners, so it was a great starter piano for us.

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
Re: Has Anyone Heard Of Opus/Cristofori Pianos? [Re: Pefection] #1312345
11/25/09 06:54 PM
11/25/09 06:54 PM
B
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member
beethoven986  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
B

No technician I've ever talked to about them has had a positive opinion. I've seen a few and think they're awful.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Octaves -- How to strengthen #5
by CebuKid. 03/23/19 12:18 PM
Chikering rebuilder
by pianoloverus. 03/23/19 10:08 AM
Who has gone to NAMM show?
by Jitin. 03/23/19 09:54 AM
Vienna album
by Sibylle. 03/23/19 05:04 AM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics191,067
Posts2,809,842
Members92,847
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission