2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Chris B, Cheeeeee, Carey, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 10 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
On the side of musicality:

Willingness to take a risk (risks include singing in front of the teacher, stating an opinion, making a mistake, trying new music without being shown first); having both personal humility AND pride in learning and improving (just one or the other won't do) - I'm not sure those are correct, and I'm sure there are more.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
I agree that music lessons are something that should be enjoyed by anyone who is willing to learn. However... it comes a time when neither the teacher nor the student are ready for each other.

Recently I responded to a small advertisement on the bulletin board at school. A grandmother looking for a teacher for her grandson. Since they lived near the university, I chose to meet them at grandma's house instead of having them drive 40 miles in the opposite direction.

Well... The first meeting/lesson did not go well. The little grandson had just turned 6, and could barely read. He's a bright little boy, but still quite young. He also didn't have a piano. I inquired with the grandmother when I talked on the phone, but she never answered my question because she got another incoming call (call waiting), so our conversation got interrupted.

There he was sitting at the dining room table with an old Casio keyboard. His grandmother sat at the other side of the table and glared at me through out the lesson. She interrupted me at every opportunity she could. These were supposed to be half-hour lessons, and she made sure that her stove clock buzzed when that half hour was up. By the time the alarm went off, we were just getting rolling (wishful thinking), and he was getting used to note names.

I thanked them for the lesson time, and left it that they would call me if they should decide to continue. A week went by, and to my satisfaction, the grandmother told me that her grandson decided he was too young to learn yet as if a 6 year-old can make an executive decision like that.

No loss, and I was quite happy to let this fish go. I'll stick with my adult students who are an absolute joy to work with. There's no clock watching, or interjection by someone else during the lesson, and we all work at a pace that's comfortable for each other.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission