Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

What's Hot!!
Welcome PianoTV members!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Fall 2017
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
68 registered members (Beemer, anotherscott, 2Keys, butchkoch, bluebikes6, Akash, 14 invisible), 1,003 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1310451 - 11/22/09 02:34 PM Accident Clause in Policies?  
oceano Offline
oceano  Offline

Canada
Hi --

I'm just putting together my Studio Policies form, (so excited to start teaching from my own place, and not travel to homes!) -- and am wondering what you all think about this clause:

While I will try to ensure a clear and safe pathway, I am not responsible for any injuries or accidents outside of the studio, including personal and vehicular. While I will do my best to watch out for the students, I am also not responsible to verify the safe meet-up between parents/guardians and students outside of the studio.

I don't want to sound insensitive, but around my complex are a couple narrow lanes that, should you not be paying attention, could result in a fender bender. Also, I can't necessarily see that the student made it safely to the car. I would hate anything happen to anyone on transitioning to or from piano lessons, but I also don't want to be sued for negligence or fault.

What do you think?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1310459 - 11/22/09 02:47 PM Re: Accident Clause in Policies? [Re: oceano]  
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Barb860  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

northern California
Do you have an insurance policy (renters or homeowners) that has business-in-the-home coverage?

Piano Teacher
#1310462 - 11/22/09 02:56 PM Re: Accident Clause in Policies? [Re: Barb860]  
david_a Offline
2000 Post Club Member
david_a  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I don't know the law, so I don't know if such denials of responsibility are legally valid in your area - but you should look into that before you bother with such a clause.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
#1310494 - 11/22/09 04:14 PM Re: Accident Clause in Policies? [Re: david_a]  
oceano Offline
oceano  Offline

Canada
Barb860 -- I'm not sure - I'll have to look into that.

David_a -- I'll look into that as well.

Thanks smile

#1310618 - 11/22/09 08:17 PM Re: Accident Clause in Policies? [Re: oceano]  
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Morodiene  Offline

Boynton Beach, FL
I think david is correct. You can certainly have such disclaimers, but if it came down to it, you could get sued no matter what you wrote - even if they signed a waiver.

Perhaps rephrase the second part to say: "Parents are responsible for meeting their child promptly when their lesson ends at the door." Or something to that effect. No need ot mention that you will do your best to "watch" out for the students, because then that means you are claiming some responsibility.

Do you have a waiting area? Or would students have to leave right after their lesson and wait outside or in a public area in your complex? That might raise cause for concern, and so you may want to stress to parents that they must arrive before the child's lesson is over to pick them up. I find it is best to have a waiting area, because traffic and other unforseen events do cause parents to be late sometimes. You can simply proceed to teach the next student and not have to worry about the safety of a child waiting outside alone.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#1310644 - 11/22/09 08:53 PM Re: Accident Clause in Policies? [Re: Morodiene]  
david_a Offline
2000 Post Club Member
david_a  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

In my (very limited, one-time) experience, home-business insurance specifically excluded injury compensation - I would have had to buy full-fledged commercial business insurance for that. When I saw the price tag, I decided to just shut my mouth and hope nobody got hurt.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
#1310737 - 11/23/09 12:14 AM Re: Accident Clause in Policies? [Re: david_a]  
oceano Offline
oceano  Offline

Canada
hmm... okay...

Yes, I do have an inside waiting area - my living room has a window to the back lane where the parents would ideally pull up, and there is a patio and walkway to the lane. Its just that I couldn't VERIFY they arrived safely, from the angle of the piano room. Also, if a vehicle collision incurred (tight back lane) I'm wondering if the average parent would try to blame me for partial responsibility.

Also, I'm not looking to have an extensive studio at the moment, as I already have a full-time job. Perhaps 5 or 6 students max for now (with the idea of gradually growing) -- I don't know if financially, getting home-business insurance is worth it at this point.

Thanks for your responses smile

#1310822 - 11/23/09 09:28 AM Re: Accident Clause in Policies? [Re: oceano]  
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R0B  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Australia
For what it is worth, I wouldn't make any mention in your policy about potential dangers.
It implies that you are aware, that a hazardous situation could arise.

I would simply state that parents, or a responsible adult, shall be responsible for a safe passage, to, and from, your premises.

That puts the onus directly on them, and not you.

Rob
#1310839 - 11/23/09 10:14 AM Re: Accident Clause in Policies? [Re: R0B]  
Morodiene Offline
Morodiene  Offline

Boynton Beach, FL
I agree with Rob. Also, you may want to warn parents or those responsible for dropping off and picking up the student to drive cautiously in that area. But don't put anything about that in your policy. One's ability to drive with caution is not something that belongs in a music studio policy.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#1310903 - 11/23/09 11:40 AM Re: Accident Clause in Policies? [Re: R0B]  
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Betty Patnude  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Puyallup, Washington
Originally Posted by R0B
For what it is worth, I wouldn't make any mention in your policy about potential dangers.
It implies that you are aware, that a hazardous situation could arise.

I would simply state that parents, or a responsible adult, shall be responsible for a safe passage, to, and from, your premises.

That puts the onus directly on them, and not you.

I agree with Rob also.

You need to state in your policy that it is the responsibility of the parent to provide transportation to and from your studio and to be on time for lesson and pick up.

I do not let my students out the front door unless I see their car in the driveway waiting for them. They remain sitting at the window where they can see the car pulling up. I have a patio area outside with a small grassed area where they can wait for their student on a clear day. Since Puget Sound has so many rainy days it is not used that often. One concern I have is about siblings running around the yard and getting hurt so I try to make it clear as to which part of the property they may be on. We have about 0.58 land which is a big attraction for kids to run around on. I offer a very small part of the property for parking, waiting, or being out of the car.

I believe you can put a rider on your home insurance policy for the value of your studio equipment and instrument, I'm not sure about the liability part. My husband takes care of this for me, but I just asked him this question and it seems that our new insurance company said "it's not needed". This is making me uncomfortable and I need to verify that indeed my piano will be covered in loss as well as having liability. I think they were just avoiding saying "No." So, it's back in his hands to verify it with them. So, I'm glad this question came up today!

You might also check with an attorney to ask that one question. The question needs to be asked in Canada where you live. There is a legal service abailable with our membership in the US of Music Teachers National Association (MTNA) but answers would reflect USA residence.

Best wishes in the establishment of your home studio!

Betty Patnude

#1310935 - 11/23/09 12:39 PM Re: Accident Clause in Policies? [Re: Betty Patnude]  
david_a Offline
2000 Post Club Member
david_a  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Betty: Insurance probably differs from place to place, but in my case it's exactly as you described. Expensive equipment on a rider, liability not available.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
#1310943 - 11/23/09 12:51 PM Re: Accident Clause in Policies? [Re: david_a]  
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member
lilylady  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

boston north
What a different world we live in now.

What happened to the lovable neighborhood piano teacher where a student just walked to and from their lessons?

And no one sued a neighbor?

Maybe I was lucky, but when I taught in my home, it never even dawned on me that there might be liabilities! You see, I was one of the above neighbohood students!!!

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
CLEARANCE SPECIALS!
Save Big In our online store now

In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
SummerKeys
Maine Coast Music Vacation for Adults
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Pearl River Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A flying concert grand piano - fun!
by Rich Galassini. 01/21/18 07:38 AM
Melville Clark Apollo Grand - What to do?
by PGA Rick. 01/20/18 11:09 PM
Wanted: Verituner 100
by Will Horne. 01/20/18 10:30 PM
Help - rhythm
by Moo :). 01/20/18 07:07 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics183,889
Posts2,689,046
Members89,486
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission