2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, DaCapoDiTuttiCapi, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,858 guests, and 331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
OP Offline
H
Iam a fan of Yamaha. But after doing some research on this forum, I found out that maybe I could pay less for better piano, in terms of key feeling and function (such as kawai ce200 w wooden key - which can only be found on yamaha high end model- and Styles also)

So, it seems like I was totally wrong when ignoring other brands and only focusing on yamaha.

In conclusion: best digital piano fr 2k to 3k, regardless of brand?

any idea will be greatly appreciated smile

Last edited by hIt0sAwA; 11/19/09 06:34 PM.

New to the US...
bored..because of almost no friends...
decided to go w a piano...
not to kill time,
but to enjoy time.
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by hIt0sAwA
I
In conclusion: best digital piano fr 2k to 3k, regardless of brand?

For $3K you can go top of the line. Take a look at the Roland RD700GX. If I had $3K to spend, and had to spend if on a DP I'd go for the RD700

But with that budget there is a huge selection
In the Kawai line way stop at the ce200? Go for the MP8II plus a pair of monitor speakers

Last edited by ChrisA; 11/20/09 01:03 AM.
F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
Your budget opens many doors.

Re the wooden keys, the touch that you experience comes mostly from the mechanism of the action. Mechanisms differ. It'd be a good idea to audition as many Yamahas, Rolands, and Kawais that you can locate. See which one you prefer.

If the DP will be played at home rather than at gigs, you might want to include "home" DP's - pedals built into the cabinets - in your auditioning.

Some people who have criticized Kawai's actions say that it's difficult to make fast runs which require playing on the middle of the keys, rather than at the ends. If you play at a high level - I don't - that could be worth investigating.

Patience and persistence.

H
H
Originally Posted by FogVilleLad
Some people who have criticized Kawai's actions say that it's difficult to make fast runs which require playing on the middle of the keys, rather than at the ends.

Do you know if that statement holds for the Kawai "AWA Grand PRO" keys as well? I guess the problem with fast runs is for some of the simpler key types, like Kawai AHA? (And I guess the same problem goes with for example Yamaha's GH keys?)

P-85 cheap plastic imitation; not because of sound, but weight.
T
T
I believe that the current Yamahas are overpriced. Roland and Kawai offer better pianos between 2000-3000 USD. One great offer for the money is the HP203.

F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Huygens

Do you know if that statement holds for the Kawai "AWA Grand PRO" keys as well?
No, and that's why I recommend auditioning the DP's.

T
T
I was looking for a piano in the same price range and finally decided on the Kawai CA-51 polished ebony which I got for about $2,400 after taxes. I mainly got it because the touch is amazing. Whenever I practice on it I feel like I am playing a really piano. I am very very pleased with my purchase. There are also the CA-71 and CA-91 which have the same action but cost more because of the additional gadgets and different speakers (CA-91).

H
H
Originally Posted by Trumpets
I was looking for a piano in the same price range and finally decided on the Kawai CA-51 polished ebony which I got for about $2,400 after taxes. I mainly got it because the touch is amazing. Whenever I practice on it I feel like I am playing a really piano.

I've also got the impression (from wading through forum threads) that the Kawai keyboards are better than the Yamahas CLP/CVP (and possible also better than Roland RD-700GX?), but..

How is the sound from the speakers? Is the Kawai CA-51 mellow like the Yamahas or bright like the RD-700GX?

Or does the Kawai CA-51 differ between the Grand voices, some being soft and mellow and other glass crisp and bright? In that case, which of the CA-51 voices do you consider being mellow?

I might have the opportunity to listen to a Kawai CP-136 in a few weeks, so it would be most appreciated if you could help me in advance suggesting what I should try listening at. smile

P-85 cheap plastic imitation; not because of sound, but weight.
T
T
Originally Posted by Huygens
How is the sound from the speakers? Is the Kawai CA-51 mellow like the Yamahas or bright like the RD-700GX?

Or does the Kawai CA-51 differ between the Grand voices, some being soft and mellow and other glass crisp and bright? In that case, which of the CA-51 voices do you consider being mellow?

I won't be able to comment much on the sound of the CA-51 because when I was looking for a digital piano I was focusing on the touch and didn't mind if the sound wasn't the BEST out there. I figured I could allways use excellent head phones or connect it to a computer which would allow you to get any piano sound you want with software.

I will say this, when I was able to play the CA-91 I was very very impressed with the sound, I don't think you could know it is a digital if you were blind folded. The CA-51 doesn't sound as good as the CA-91 but I am happy with it. But as I said, I didn't compare the sounds (mellow, bright, soft, crisp, or etc.) of digital pianos much.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission