2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, 12 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Huygens Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I was at my local shop and played a little on the Roland RD-700GX and on various Yamaha CLPs.

And yes, the RD-700GX has a more bright sound. Too bright in my taste, so I asked the salesman to adjust the RD-700GX "Mellow Piano" instrument to make it sound more like the CLPs. He failed, making the RD-700GX sound less rich in tones (he reduced the treble mostly).

Does anyone have RD-700GX settings for making the sound become as close to the mellowness of real CLPs? They have a wonderful richness from their speakers.

I listened to the sound both with a headphone and from the quite weak Roland DS-7 speakers (used for guitarrs and connected with a TS cable, instead of TRS).

Settings for Roland RD-700GX on any other piano, like the Grands/Ultimate, to make it more mellow, but still rich in sound, would be very appreciated.

And, if you know that's impossible to provide (for example because the RD-700GX is sampled with bright-only-pianos), please tell me.

Last edited by Huygens; 11/21/09 10:19 AM.

P-85 cheap plastic imitation; not because of sound, but weight.
Just out of curiosity, did you listen to the CLPs with headphones? My impression has always been that the CLPs have a brighter sound by default, much like the Yamaha acoustics, while the 700GX is mellower...

Roland FP-90X, Kronos2-61
H
Huygens Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by 7even
Just out of curiosity, did you listen to the CLPs with headphones? My impression has always been that the CLPs have a brighter sound by default, much like the Yamaha acoustics, while the 700GX is mellower...

Yes, it was one CLP-340 with headphones. And two more CLPs with speakers only.

H
Huygens Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Update, I have done the following:

In shop A: I made the shop personal 'factory reset' the RD-700GX and then listened a 2nd time through some high quality headphones. The Roland sounded better, but still a little poorer, colder and harder compared to the CLP-340, which had a richer and softer sound. I tried more voices this time.

In shop B: I found no 700GX, but they had a Roland RD-300GX, which sounded better to me than I remembered that the 700GX had sounded, with almost the same speaker system! Shop B had no CLPs to compare the 300GX with on place, though. I noticed that the 300GX had a simpler keyboard.

It could be that the 700GX demo example in shop A is a little worn out, perhaps, as the 300GX sounded better to me in shop B. Maybe there are different versions of the RD-700GX, and I got to listen to an older one?

Or maybe this is only a matter of psychology? smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission