2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, 3 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1308532 11/19/09 02:42 PM
Z
OP Offline
Z
has anyone got any experience with either of these models and what you all think of them? thanks!

V
V
AFAIK, the PX830 is not available yet. Several PX-730 owners post on this forum.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
LOL... I am probably the poster child of the Privia consoles at PianoWorld laugh

The PX-830 may or may not yet be available depending on your country. It's not in my country, but I had the experience of playing on one when I was in Japan last September. I have to warn you though, I am quite biased because I love the performance of the Privias vs. their relatively low cost. And there's a Casio showroom near me which I always visit.

First off, all the Privias and Celvianos of the same generation share the same basic piano specs (keyboard action, touch response, layer samples) so theoretically you won't be missing out on the piano performance aspect itself (which is the most important thing IMO) by choosing one model over the other. So theoretically, all models will also sound and perform the same over headphones (I'm saying theoretically since I haven't actually tried that yet).

But then each model differentiates itself by the form factor or other added features. The PX-830 and PX-730 are console types. The PX-730 is more of a basic model, focusing mostly on the piano aspect. The PX-830 has all the features of the PX-730, but has rhythms, an SD card slot, LINE IN, LINE OUT connections and possibly midi ports(?). Both models have USB connections.

In the current generation, Casio differentiated the two models more by giving the PX-830 a different form factor from the PX-730. I personally like the improvements. The PX-830 lost the slide-type cover and instead has this long keyboard cover that opens up and doubles as a music stand, like in some uprights. I like that better since I've always thought the frosted plastic music rack on the PX-730 is too flimsy (thankfully I haven't broken mine yet since I'm careful with it). They also gave the PX-830 the nicer keytops, which aren't exactly ivory-like but are cream-colored and have a slightly matte surface (most DPs have glossy white keys). I remember having a lot of fun playing on the PX-830 on display and loving the feel of the keys. The PX-830 also has more powerful speakers (20W x 2 vs. 8Wx2 ).

So it's up to you to decide whether you're just after the piano features or would like more bells and whistles and some other fancy additions. I'm personally a fan of the PX-830, but it was too expensive to special order from my country and I really shouldn't be spending too much on a secondary DP anyway grin. I find the newer Privias quite expressive (more than the last generation) and with improved keyboard action (less noisy too) and decent piano sounds, so I'm happy with my purchase.

Working on: Schumann Album for the Young, Clementi Op 36 No. 1 (all movements), Various Bach, Czerny 599
+ CASIO PX-720 and PX-730 +
Z
OP Offline
Z
the px-830 is here in the UK. ive got a place that will give it me for 709...thats 10 quid off there usual price. any opinions? its either the px-730 or the px-830 for me i think, because the roland f110 is a bit too much money.

V
V
Between the 2 - based on the specs (better speakers essentially), the finish and the look - if you can afford it - I would go for the PX-830.
But that is just my opinion and I did not try the beast. I don't know if I would like the texture on the PX-830.

J
J
Hi, i'd also like to know if the "ivory touch" keys and slightly more powerful speakers are worth the extra £100? I'm not too sure if i prefer the looks of one over the other ( i actually kind of like the silver above the keys on the 730 )

H
H
Originally Posted by Jordan Garrard
Hi, i'd also like to know if the "ivory touch" keys and slightly more powerful speakers are worth the extra £100? I'm not too sure if i prefer the looks of one over the other ( i actually kind of like the silver above the keys on the 730 )

I would say yes, in the long run you will probably appreciate quality keys in preference over greasy plastic ones.

My guess is that you will also like the bass tones more on the PX-830, as it has better speakers.

And who knows, maybe some (unknown?) mis-feature(s) in the PX-730 also have managed being corrected on its way from the engineers to production and made the PX-830 become better in small details?

The power consumption in the PX-830 has increased in a way the bigger speakers don't really explain. I would expect that there are some more nice electronics in the PX-830 that consumes more power compared to the PX-730.

P-85 cheap plastic imitation; not because of sound, but weight.
J
J
Thanks for the reply, i may go with the 830 as the keys are becoming an increasingly noticeable upgrade.

I would like to ask if anyone has any high quality pictures, or a link to a site which contains good pictures of the 830 because im having a really tough time getting a good close-up look of the 830 (which is quite annoying, i'd like to see all the small details before i make a £720 purchase!)

Many thanks.

Z
OP Offline
Z
where ru gonna get yours jordan? is the best price youve found 720?

J
J
Dolphin Music
theres a couple other websites and i have a music shop nearby where i can order for that price from.

Z
OP Offline
Z
nearly everything is more expensive in the uK. the casio px-130 is $499 but in england its £539...its a joke.

J
J
wow i didn't realize it was that price in $.

Last edited by Jordan Garrard; 07/14/11 12:27 PM.
D
D
In continental europe the Casio px330 costs 650 euros ($965) and the px330 850 euros ($1273). So you american and even british guys can be happy with your situation laugh

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission