Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
135 registered members (ando, almo82, ASilotiCoffee, Alpacacino, agent8698, Belle2foru, 29 invisible), 1,604 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Opinion on Baldwin pianos? [Re: Larry Larson] #1307431
11/17/09 08:09 PM
11/17/09 08:09 PM
USA
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Bob  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
B

USA
I saw my first Chinese Baldwin grand last week. Priced at $9999. It seemed like a good value for the money and can compete with the Pearl River/ Cable, K&C, Falcone, etc. I imagine it might sell for around $8500. A few pianos down one could find an art case M priced at $89k.

If I were Gibson, I would have made the artist grands per spec in China right after the takeover. Instead, they screwed up the brand recognition with poor build quality and increased prices. Now they are going cheap with the brand, which may hurt the value of the American Baldwins already in the market.

Why not make a Chinese Artist grand, with Artist specs, and sell it for 15K (size M) The Chinese are capable of making a great piano now - Let the Chinese make a great Baldwin Artist Piano.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Opinion on Baldwin pianos? [Re: Bob] #1307609
11/18/09 04:59 AM
11/18/09 04:59 AM
San Francisco
F
FogVilleLad Offline
4000 Post Club Member
FogVilleLad  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
F

San Francisco
Originally Posted by Bob
Now they are going cheap with the brand, which may hurt the value of the American Baldwins already in the market.

IMO there will be some very good buys on older Baldwins for precisely that reason.

Re: Opinion on Baldwin pianos? [Re: FogVilleLad] #1307668
11/18/09 09:33 AM
11/18/09 09:33 AM
Kansas
apple* Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
apple*  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Kansas
i like the midsize, artist grands.. (the R's and L's)absolutely love them. I lust after the SF1. However, I haven't played a new one, and just might stop by the dealership today out of curiousity.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
Re: Opinion on Baldwin pianos? [Re: apple*] #1307907
11/18/09 04:50 PM
11/18/09 04:50 PM
Rochester, NY
L
louisrichards Offline
louisrichards  Offline
L

Rochester, NY
I understand that Baldwin stopped making pianos during WWII in order to help the war effort. It was suggested that working with plywood for airplanes aided in the development of Baldwin's 41-ply maple pinblock design.

Can anyone give an informed opinion on the grands produced immediately after WWII? Are they good candidates for rebuilding?

I have my eye on a concert grand from that era. Thanks to anyone who can provide some info.

There are only two endeavors that use the word "play", one is Sports and the other is Music; if the enjoyable essence of "play" is absent from either, you have missed the point entirely.
Re: Opinion on Baldwin pianos? [Re: louisrichards] #1308135
11/18/09 10:37 PM
11/18/09 10:37 PM
B
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member
beethoven986  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
B

Yes, but if you buy it, you'll be stuck with it. Even the smaller Baldwins are tough to get rid of. I'm trying to sell my 6'3" and that's proving to be a challenge.

Is the piano already rebuilt or is it in need of a restoration?

Re: Opinion on Baldwin pianos? [Re: sotto voce] #1308167
11/18/09 11:23 PM
11/18/09 11:23 PM
B
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member
beethoven986  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
B

Originally Posted by sotto voce

What are the consumer's responsibilities to be informed concerning a decision that involves many thousands of dollars? I doubt that anyone buying a car is unaware whether the brand is domestic or foreign (even if its component parts come from around the world).

What are the consumer's responsibilities? Well, they should do their homework; I assume we agree on that. Do they? Probably not. Also, it doesn't matter if a car brand is domestic or foreign... for example, Chrysler has (had?) plants in Mexico and Canada.

Consider how many Asian piano makers have adopted venerable names from the "golden era" or have fabricated European names solely for the cachet that they confer. In other areas of manufacturing and marketing, too, names (like "Packard Bell," for instance) get bought and sold. It seems like there's a lot of potential for deception there, and yet a Baldwin is still a Baldwin whether made in Cincinnati, Trumann or Dongbei. [quote]

Yeah, I'm not really a fan of stencil pianos because of that potential. And, no, a Baldwin is not a Baldwin if they just slap the name on a Chinese piano! I suspect that the Baldwin BH185, for example, is nearly identical to the Hallett & Davis 185 made in the same factory. If that's the case, then it's a piano of German design... not Baldwin.

[quote=sotto voce] I think Baldwin's decision to incorporate the letter C into the logo of the Chinese pianos is clever, and it serves the purpose of differentiation well. Opinions about that detail may vary, but I'm genuinely at a loss to understand such an extreme description as "the sleaziest, most dishonest thing they could have done. I hope it lands them in court."

Sure, it's clever. But, most people wouldn't notice because it's such a small detail. Do you really think that the average customer is going to see that "c" and be like, "Oh, that means it's made in China and has no connection to the American Baldwins"? This is especially true since Baldwin still calls itself "America's favorite piano" and describes these pianos as having "classic Baldwin sound", or something like that.

I still want to know how this action—which seems intended specifically to eliminate confusion and even the appearance of deception—suggests vulnerability to legal claims.

IMO, there is a very, very fine line between a half-ass attempt at product differentiation and defrauding consumers, who probably still don't know that they essentially stopped making pianos here. One would probably have to prove that Baldwin was intentionally trying to mislead customers... but in America, you can sue for just about anything.

Re: Opinion on Baldwin pianos? [Re: beethoven986] #1308585
11/19/09 03:13 PM
11/19/09 03:13 PM
M
musa Offline
musa  Offline
M

Hello - I am in search of a piano for my 5 children (age 6-14). I don't know anything about pianos, but would like them to have the opportunity to learn. I have been told that the piano is the best place to start and from there they can learn other instruments. I’m going to look at a Baldwin style 603 tonight. Please help! Any information would be greatly appreciated! ~Musa

Re: Opinion on Baldwin pianos? [Re: musa] #1308607
11/19/09 03:58 PM
11/19/09 03:58 PM
C
charleslang Offline
2000 Post Club Member
charleslang  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C

musa, welcome to the Piano Forums!

You might want to start a new thread about your search for a piano.

Until recently, all Baldwins were made in the US (but not all their sub-brands like Hamilton were). If you're looking at a used Baldwin it was likely made int the US and they are generally very good pianos; above average quality. You never know how a used piano has been treated over the years, so you should have a technician take a look at it before buying one.

charlessamuellang.com
Semi-pro pianist and piano technician
Tuesdays 5-8:30 at Vince's West Sacramento, California
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Production Voices Concert Grand Gold Review
by Keunyoung Song. 01/20/19 03:58 PM
Effective Practicing?
by Alpacacino. 01/20/19 03:56 PM
Too nervous to play properly during lessons
by SilvieC. 01/20/19 02:54 PM
Article about Can Cakmur from Turkey
by IosPlayer. 01/20/19 01:46 PM
Fatigue in the right shoulder
by ASilotiCoffee. 01/20/19 01:09 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,696
Posts2,784,084
Members92,168
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission