2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 9 invisible), 1,670 guests, and 247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#1308035 11/18/09 09:03 PM
B
Big_Al Offline OP
OP Offline
B
So come on guys and girls, out of all us music people, who here uses the superior (and most creative wink ) computer? I'm a Mac of course...

Bach: Fantasia and Fugue in G Minor BWV 542, Toccata and Fugue in D Minor BWV 565
Beethoven: Moonlight Sonata: 3. Presto Agitato Op. 27/2
Chopin: Scherzo No. 2 in B Flat Minor Op. 32, Ballade #1 in G Minor Op. 23/2
Liszt: La Campanella S.140/3, Grand Galop Chromatique S.219
Rachmaninov: Preludes Op. 23
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
MacBook Pro for me! cool

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
LOL..this could cause a flame war. I'm not a Mac or a PC, I'm a person wink

I use Windows myself. I find Macs just way too overpriced. And Windows, being so popular, has twice (or thrice?) the support and apps available. Don't count on it for security, though.

I just wish Linux was better supported and more user-friendly (it already is user-friendly, but not to a person like me who likes constant tweaks). Then I'll take a Linux box over a Mac or PC any time.

Btw, I run Ubuntu on my Windows laptop on dual-boot.

Last edited by marimorimo; 11/18/09 10:00 PM.

Working on: Schumann Album for the Young, Clementi Op 36 No. 1 (all movements), Various Bach, Czerny 599
+ CASIO PX-720 and PX-730 +

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Mac is the only way to go! Never (and I mean never) have I had a virus problem and everything is just so uncomplicated. Yea, Mac!

Last edited by CMohr; 11/18/09 10:14 PM. Reason: spelling

Think less - play more

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
I can't imagine ever being able to afford Mac stuff. Linux on a PC suits me -- inexpensive, reliable, and powerful. I find it hard to understand why anybody would use anything else, to be quite honest.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by kevinb
I can't imagine ever being able to afford Mac stuff. Linux on a PC suits me -- inexpensive, reliable, and powerful. I find it hard to understand why anybody would use anything else, to be quite honest.

If Mac isn't for you, that's the very best solution. And with open source stuff like Wine* you can run your favorite Windows apps. I love my Mac, and will be replacing my old PC with a new iMac soon. smile

* Builds are available for most common flavors of Linux (Ubuntu, Red Hat, Fedora, Gentoo), as well as Solaris and BSD. It's open source, so you can compile it on any Unix system for yourself. You can do it on Mac OS X (all you need is X11 and the latest version of Xcode). Xcode 3.x cannot compile 16 bit code, so you need register with the Apple Developer's Connection to get Xcode 2.x if you want 16-bit support. However, for most people, CrossOver is a commercial version of Wine for Mac OS X that will be easier to set up.

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
C
C
I have a PC, my dad has a Mac. Macs have better security because the computer is actually made by the same people who make the operating system.

"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." - Frédéric Chopin

"Hats off gentlemen, a genius!" - Schumann on Chopin

"Chopin is the greatest of them all, for through the piano alone he discovered everything" - Debussy on Chopin

Venables & Son 152
S
S
MacBook Pro and iMac! Easier to use and no viruses, thus far. Love my iPhone too

Representing Shigeru Kawai, Kawai, Hailun, Pearl River, Kawai Digital Pianos, Samick Digitals, Roland Digitals, & Lowrey Organs
St. Louis Metro Area
www.lacefieldmusic.com
find us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lacefieldmusic
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
No, it's more secure because it's Unix. Unix's strict compartmentalizing of the system makes it a very tough nut to crack. Basically, the only things that can be done are trojans that trick the user into allowing them to do something, by giving an admin password for instance. The way Unix is organized also prevents the day-to-day crap that happens in Windows, like an application crash taking down the whole system.

Or something overwrites system files, thus destroying the Windows installation. That can happen. Believe me. Unix solves all these problems by permissions. For instance, only the root can write to system files in Unix.

The fact that it's made by the same people who put together the hardware means that it runs very efficiently on said hardware. smile

C
C
Ah right. I knew there was something about it being made by the same people, and it looks like I got my facts wrong. Thanks for filling me in.

"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." - Frédéric Chopin

"Hats off gentlemen, a genius!" - Schumann on Chopin

"Chopin is the greatest of them all, for through the piano alone he discovered everything" - Debussy on Chopin

Venables & Son 152
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
No problem! smile

B
Big_Al Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Good to see a nice discussion smile
I personally love Macs because, although they're more expensive, they're so much more intuitive and almost never break down, so that little extra cost pays off in the end!

Bach: Fantasia and Fugue in G Minor BWV 542, Toccata and Fugue in D Minor BWV 565
Beethoven: Moonlight Sonata: 3. Presto Agitato Op. 27/2
Chopin: Scherzo No. 2 in B Flat Minor Op. 32, Ballade #1 in G Minor Op. 23/2
Liszt: La Campanella S.140/3, Grand Galop Chromatique S.219
Rachmaninov: Preludes Op. 23
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I do love my Mac(s)....I've got an iMac, and a Mac Mini. After the first of the year, I'll likely get a 13" MBPro. I live in the Windows world, too....but if I can choose, I'll choose the Mac. For any of the creative / music stuff I do, it just works better for me.

Estonia 190, #6098
Mac is so much more friendly to music applications. It does have some drawbacks though. I sometimes wish I could get in on some of the discussion threads about audio setup and latency problems over in the Digital Pianos area, but with my Mac I just never have those issues to contribute :-(

Kevin

[Linked Image]
Yamaha S90 --------------- SS-69 Grand
The most important thing in music is what is not in the notes.
G
G
Mac here too, MacBook Pro to be precise. It's my 1st Mac but Windows Vista finished me with Windows. I had to get something else!!

Am loving the Mac - easy to use, very well built and so far absolutely bullet proof. Those daily Windows crashes are but a distant memory. :-)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm on PC mainly because that's what was given to me. Basically, someone in the family decided it was time to replace instead of upgrade and I got their old PC. I've never had a Mac so I guess I don't really know what I might be missing, but I can say for sure that I do like itunes much better than Mindows Media Player.

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Horowitzian
No, it's more secure because it's Unix. Unix's strict compartmentalizing of the system makes it a very tough nut to crack. Basically, the only things that can be done are trojans that trick the user into allowing them to do something, by giving an admin password for instance. The way Unix is organized also prevents the day-to-day crap that happens in Windows, like an application crash taking down the whole system.

In principle, there's no reason why modern versions of MS Windows couldn't offer the same level of immunity to viruses and nasties. The process and filesystem security models are both pretty solid. Unfortunately, it's taking developers and users a long time to cotton on to this. A lot of Windows software still works on the basis that it is subject to no security restrictions, and doesn't work on more secure installations. And a lot of users can't get their heads around the idea of using different login accounts to do different jobs -- something that is meat and drink in the Unix world.

I'm sure things will catch up, eventually. I'm a long term Unix user (more than 20 years), but I've been quite impressed with Windows 7. Things are definitely moving along. I reckon in about five years time you'll be able to buy a version of Windows that is as good as what I can now get from Linux for free wink

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
....Fair points all. But I won't be convinced till Microsoft completely ditches archaic garbage like the Registry. smile Until that happens, it's still the same old Windows in my book, and much of that security will still be provided by antivirus. wink Heck, I've heard of people having Registry problems with 7, though granted it's pretty rare.

Separate user accounts are only one issue; Windows also needs to implement a permissions system that will prevent things from writing places they shouldn't whether it's an admin account or a lesser account. In Unix, it's not possible to write to system files unless you are running as root (not smart unless you know what you are doing!) or use the 'sudo' command in a terminal. I don't know of it's still true with 7, but there certainly used to be ways windows system files could be overwritten (with disastrous consequences, of course) without even invoking such privileges.

Unix is still >> Windows, for now. And I predict for a long time in the future, as well. grin

Cheers!

K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K

Separate user accounts are only one issue; Windows also needs to implement a permissions system that will prevent things from writing places they shouldn't whether it's an admin account or a lesser account. In Unix, it's not possible to write to system files unless you are running as root (not smart unless you know what you are doing!) or use the 'sudo' command in a terminal. I don't know of it's still true with 7, but there certainly used to be ways windows system files could be overwritten (with disastrous consequences, of course) without even invoking such privileges.

Unix is still >> Windows, for now. And I predict for a long time in the future, as well. grin

Well, as a long-term Linux user I'm inclined to agree. But the gap is closing, for various reasons. One reason is that mainstream Linux distributions are seeking to make themselves more appealing to the non-technical user, and introducing problems in that area that Microsoft, for all its faults, addressed years ago. A good example is the graphical boot process that most new distros favour. Windows always worked this way, and there are fallbacks for situations where the graphical boot fails. But this is a relatively new thing for Linux, and those fallbacks aren't really in place -- not where a non-technical user would know how to find them, anyhow.

The default filesystem permissions for Windows 7 are, in fact, _more_ restrictive than Linux defaults. Generally, an unprivileged user can't write _anywhere_ on a newly installed system apart from the home directory. And there isn't even a catch-all `root' account you can use to overcome permissions problems as there is on Unix -- if you create a new disk partition on Windows 7, you actually have to assign rights to the Administrator account. This has caught me out, because I'm used to the Unix approach.

Of course, the power of this new security model is completely emasculated by the tendency of Windows users to do routine word processing and whatnot with admin privileges smirk Sadly, I'm seeing the same thing more and more among Linux users, which further reduces the advantage that Linux offers over Windows.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by kevinb

Well, as a long-term Linux user I'm inclined to agree. But the gap is closing, for various reasons. One reason is that mainstream Linux distributions are seeking to make themselves more appealing to the non-technical user, and introducing problems in that area that Microsoft, for all its faults, addressed years ago. A good example is the graphical boot process that most new distros favour. Windows always worked this way, and there are fallbacks for situations where the graphical boot fails. But this is a relatively new thing for Linux, and those fallbacks aren't really in place -- not where a non-technical user would know how to find them, anyhow.

The default filesystem permissions for Windows 7 are, in fact, _more_ restrictive than Linux defaults. Generally, an unprivileged user can't write _anywhere_ on a newly installed system apart from the home directory. And there isn't even a catch-all `root' account you can use to overcome permissions problems as there is on Unix -- if you create a new disk partition on Windows 7, you actually have to assign rights to the Administrator account. This has caught me out, because I'm used to the Unix approach.

Of course, the power of this new security model is completely emasculated by the tendency of Windows users to do routine word processing and whatnot with admin privileges smirk Sadly, I'm seeing the same thing more and more among Linux users, which further reduces the advantage that Linux offers over Windows.

Well, I haven't fooled much with Win7 except on someone else's computer, so I didn't know; thanks.

Basically, you bring up the point that you can't protect a computer from the user's stupidity. All the good stuff about Unix can be quickly negated by running with more privileges than you need all the time. I run Mac OS X as admin because I need the privileges for my programming (more a hobby than anything right now! smirk ), but I don't even consider running as root because 'sudo' takes care of the few root level things I need to do every once in a while. And I know not to give something I know nothing about my password. I really need to create a normal account for using when I take my MBP outside the house and use it in a public place, though.

Mac OS X has a particular key combinations for modifying the boot process, so they've got that addressed. I think Linux still isn't entirely suitable for the non-technical user for several reasons, that included. But I haven't tried Ubuntu, which I understand is sort of the "slickest" Linux.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission