2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,726 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1307427 11/17/09 09:01 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Time to change the subject...I had been looking at the Casio PX330, but have decided to stick with my Yamaha P120 and maybe get a second keyboard for more sounds. I have a line on a great used Casio WK-500 76-key keyboard/workstation. It is not local to me, though. So, I cannot see it in person. I live way up North with no local access to much in the way of pianos and keyboards. The WK-500 seems "great" because it is like new, played little, and comes in it's original box with the manual, power adapter, etc. and is around $200 or so. I have read some great reviews on it, but there is not much I have found here on the forum...
Anyone here have experience with one or own one that can share their thoughts on this keyboard and it's sounds? Thanks!

Doolittle #1307440 11/17/09 09:34 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
You're aware that the WK series has unweighted keys, right?

I frequently visit the Casio showroom and they have a bunch of keyboards there, some WK (but I don't know if they have the WK-500). Well they seem to sound decent with an amp. On-board speakers are worse than the ones in the DP range, of course. I just find it strange that you'd think the WK series would have better sounds than the PX-330. This is just pure conjecture, but being the higher-end model, the I suppose the PX-330 would have the better sounds, or if not, at least the same sounds as the WK. If you want more sounds that badly, I believe Yamaha's keyboards (like the DGX or YPG series) excels better in this area.

Working on: Schumann Album for the Young, Clementi Op 36 No. 1 (all movements), Various Bach, Czerny 599
+ CASIO PX-720 and PX-730 +
D
OP Offline
D
Thanks, marimorimo, for your reply. I am fully aware that the WK-500 has unweighted keys. It has 76 standard size piano style keys at least. My P120 has the weighted keys, but only a few onboard sounds. I like both weighted and non-weighted keys, depends on the mood I am in that day! I also play through my home stereo systems...a Yamaha full size or a Panasonic shelf system that both sound incredible.

In my past experience, workstations often have much better "other" sounds than piano focused digital pianos in the lower price ranges. But, my only experience with Casio has been a CTK model from way before Casio improved their sounds (or tones). I liked it better than having nothing at all (a garage sale find), but I traded up to the Yamaha P120 and what a breath of fresh air that was. Yet, some of the strings were great on that old CTK model.

I actually must confess that I also have a Yamaha DGX-205 right here. Many of the sounds are great, but I do not like the smaller keys (76) and it is awful fiddly. It refuses to retain any of my settings. Every time I touch any button most settings revert to default. I spend so much time fiddling with the settings, I play little on it. It is a very nice keyboard otherwise. The P120 is so simple compared, though.

The WK-500 has more sounds/tones, sd card slot, the larger keys, and a line-in jack as well, so I could plug the P120 right into it and blend them together. On paper, the WK-500 looks better than the DGX, but what do I know? That's why I turn to this forum. I have a friend who seriously wants to buy the DGX for her daughter, so I am looking at my other options. Lord willing, maybe one day we will move south near some music shops. Or, I can become a Casio dealer here myself and try them all...

Doolittle #1310154 11/22/09 01:24 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Well, I won the Casio WK-500 on eBay for under $200. A couple of weeks before it arrives...
Any owners of the WK-500 out there who have any comments on this keyboard/workstation?

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission