Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
118 registered members (AnnInMiami, cardguy2.0, belcanto2, anotherscott, Bass3645789, ando, Amedeus, 27 invisible), 1,785 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Recital #16 --- General Discussion Room #1305713
11/15/09 12:08 AM
11/15/09 12:08 AM
A
AB Forum Recital Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
AB Forum Recital  Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
A

Welcome to the General Discussion Room for the AB Forum Recital 16!!!

Please utilize this room for any discussion of the pieces in Recital 16 that is taking place in the Main Recital Thread.

Discussions and replies can be posted at-will. Feel free to comment on any or all individual pieces. Some members offer comments on each submission individually; others offer general congratulations. Either approach is fine. Feel free to offer more specific, technical feedback if the participant had indicated that technical feedback was welcome.

For those who wish to comment on all pieces, a copy and paste template for offering feedback can be found here:

Recital 16 Response Template

Please use this thread only to discuss recital performances. If you have any comments or suggestions about ways to make the recital process better, please start a separate thread.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Recital #16 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #1305804
11/15/09 01:34 AM
11/15/09 01:34 AM
Lexington, Kentucky
Monica K. Online blank

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Monica K.  Online Blank

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Lexington, Kentucky
Okay, everything is pretty much done except for uploading the duplicate zip files to the esnips site; I have the first few on there but will do the rest tomorrow.

I was too busy at work to cheat and listen to the entries early whome so I don't have comments at this time, but I've had the streaming player going all the time I was working on the recital, and I've been hearing some truly terrific playing.

I think we can all be pretty proud of ourselves for pulling off yet another impressive recital. Congratulations, everybody! thumb

Re: Recital #16 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Monica K.] #1305823
11/15/09 01:57 AM
11/15/09 01:57 AM
Abitibi
ddh Offline
ddh  Offline

Abitibi
Monica, I think I speak for all when I say we love You 3hearts
Thank You, thank You, thank You for yet another marvelous recital.

Daniel (Pramberger JP 208B)
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Recital #16 --- General Discussion Room [Re: ddh] #1305846
11/15/09 03:11 AM
11/15/09 03:11 AM
Santa Fe, NM
J
jotur Offline
Gold Level
jotur  Offline
Gold Level
J

Santa Fe, NM
I started from the back again, and I'm glad there was a recital to come home to. We had a great band at contra dance tonight, but it leaves me "high" and the recital was a great change of pace. Here's what I've listened to so far.

66. AnthonyB - Exit That was so well played! Great touch and expression. The silences were well-done, tho I suppose that sounds silly. Maybe it was the timing, but they were perfect. Beautiful.

61. TTigg - Glasgow Love Theme Another lovely piece. I liked your split sound. Between you and Anthony this is the perfect after-dance music.

56. rustyfingers - Elves' Dance What a cheery little piece. I liked the bass interludes - made me laugh.

51. ShiroKuro - While the Trees Sleep How nice to have you back. Lovely piece, and very musically played.

46. bluekeys - Invention #4 I love it. I've never been able to memorize this kind of music, much as I like it. This was a treat.

41. grotrianer - La plus que lente Oh, I liked this very much! I kept waiting for the disaster, though, and it never came frown Lovely, lovely.

36. Always Wanted to Play Piano - Sonatina One of my favorite pieces. You played it with a very nice lively feel to it.

35. Jillian - Morning Prelude Brava! It is pretty. I'm really impressed with the steadiness of your tempo and the confidence with which you played.

30. Copper - Air I am so charmed. I have a whole book of Purcell, and we dance English country to his music. This was wonderful.

25. Carl Mc - Piano Sonata You play so hauntingly. It was lovely.

20. salzdt - Kupelwieser Waltz Waltzes are some of my favorite music. I can see why this would be fun to learn. Congratulations on outlasting the red dot laugh Nicely played.

15. Mar_red - Stranger/Love Congratulations on your creativity. I like your style. The scat was funky smile

10.kokomo61 - Piano Sonata I was wondering how your hard drive disaster was coming along. I don't think I'll ever know what I didn't get recovered laugh This was well done, with some nice expressiveness in the right hand.

05. Ken. - German Dance There was some really nice dance quality in there. How cool that you can still play your second piece.

There, I think I'm relaxed enough to get sleep now. I'm looking forward to all the rest of these.

Thanks to all who work who to make this recital possible.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Practice what you suck at - anonymous
Re: Recital #16 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #1305862
11/15/09 04:20 AM
11/15/09 04:20 AM
Big Island of Hawaii
K
kalai1 Offline
kalai1  Offline
K

Big Island of Hawaii
Hi everyone, I agree Monica deserves a big Thank You for all you have done.
I only have dial up so it is going to take a while to listen to them all, but I will try to get to them all.
So far, Jillian for being almost 8 years old I think you did a great job, now I think if you keep at it by the time your my age you will be out of this world, thanks for posting it for the recital, aloha from Hawaii.

Chris

Re: Recital #16 --- General Discussion Room [Re: kalai1] #1305867
11/15/09 05:01 AM
11/15/09 05:01 AM
H
HomeInMyShoes Offline
HomeInMyShoes  Offline
H

Thanks again to the powers that be that make the recitals possible and all the work they do.

I'm picking entries randomly from the hat this time, in groups of a few at a time:

07. TrueBeginner - Autumn River
Always amazed at what you're coming up with. Almost carousel-like.

22. cscl - Kuhlau Sonatina Op. 55, No. 2, I-II
I really would have liked to have heard the third movement. Nice dynamic changes and good variance in staccato versus legato playing. Most of the scale runs sounded quite good, just a bit of work on where they are leading is what I heard. A really nice listen.

43. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - Military Polonaise Op 40. No. 1
For being way above your head it was sounding quite manageable under your hands. I've worked on this one a couple of times. Never got it that accurate. At least in my mind, I would work on the repeated turns and slow them down just a might. Nice job on a tough piece.

34. pianonewb - God on the Mountain
Somehow I didn't need to know the robe thing. Hopefully there are no speed-o appearances. smile Really enjoyable and good vocals. Everyone should be thankful that I will never sing along to one of my entries.

51. ShiroKuro - While the Trees Sleep
Beautiful. A lot of feeling came out in your playing.

Last edited by HomeInMyShoes; 11/15/09 05:02 AM. Reason: spelling
Re: Recital #16 --- General Discussion Room [Re: HomeInMyShoes] #1305884
11/15/09 06:33 AM
11/15/09 06:33 AM
Chocolatetown, USA
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member
TrapperJohn  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Chocolatetown, USA
jazzyprof - Nocturne op.48 no.1

Yes, Chopin is amazing and no, you didn't butcher it, but instead played this Nocturne very dramatically and very well, as such a somber, less lyrical piece requires.

02. dannylux / Mel - Bersagliera

Jaunty and energetic indeed! Delightful piece, very expertly played uptempo - up to your usual high standards (we've come to expect this) - I remember hearing Ponce pieces played on Classical guitar by Segovia some years ago which were always entertaining - I wonder if they were composed for guitar or were transcriptions of piano piece?

(03. epf - Prelude No. 16 in Db Major

I wasn't familiar with Vandall's work so this is a very lovely introduction - you're correct in saying that it is a "pretty prelude" and you highlighted that with your soft, easy, expressive touch - nice job and a nice piece to dedicate - enjoyed this a lot.

More to follow...

JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
Re: Recital #16 --- General Discussion Room [Re: TrapperJohn] #1305899
11/15/09 07:53 AM
11/15/09 07:53 AM
H
HomeInMyShoes Offline
HomeInMyShoes  Offline
H

Another set of comments.

55. Musictuary - In The Groove
How did the grade 5 exam go? I missed the piano bar entry and really missed out, this was very enjoyable.

21. Riddler (Ed) - Easy Living
The lifetime of noodling is really paying off. The recordings you share are always a great listen.

48. TX-Dennis (Dennis Turner) - Suicide Is Painless
Maybe lunch before recording is a better idea? smile Didn't sound even remotely as bad as advertised. I used to watch that show so much when it was in syndication, every night at 10:00pm. Thanks for transporting me back to those days.

63. DragonPianoPlayer - Prelude in E Minor (Op 28 No 4)
Nicely done. It's a piece with a couple of really tricky parts in it.

06. Mr Super-Hunky - Cristofori's Dream
Woohoo! One of those pieces that first introduced me to New Age music. :applause:

Re: Recital #16 --- General Discussion Room [Re: TrapperJohn] #1305901
11/15/09 07:55 AM
11/15/09 07:55 AM
Spain
mcasl Offline
mcasl  Offline

Spain
Bravo Maestros!
Wonderful recital.
Thank you all for your contributions.
Thank you Monica and the technical staff for your efforts in making this possible.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Formerly 1WeekPlayer. Currently practicing:
- Arabesque 1. Debussy
- Wiener Urtext Primo collection
http://www.youtube.com/mcasl
Re: Recital #16 --- General Discussion Room [Re: mcasl] #1305902
11/15/09 07:57 AM
11/15/09 07:57 AM
Spain
mcasl Offline
mcasl  Offline

Spain
58. Serge88 - Greensleeves
Pluscuamperfect (did not find a better word for 'more than perfect')

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Formerly 1WeekPlayer. Currently practicing:
- Arabesque 1. Debussy
- Wiener Urtext Primo collection
http://www.youtube.com/mcasl
Re: Recital #16 --- General Discussion Room [Re: mcasl] #1305909
11/15/09 08:17 AM
11/15/09 08:17 AM
H
HomeInMyShoes Offline
HomeInMyShoes  Offline
H

Working hard this morning to get through a good portion of the entries.

Or is that hardly working? Listening is so much fun. smile

61. TTigg / Steve C - Glasgow Love Theme
Okay, I have no idea where this song is from. It's probably really obvious and I'll feel dumb. Nice performance Steve. Still amazed by the progress people make in such short time. Sounded great.

53. Mateusz 'Mati' Papiernik - Tooi hi no Kizuato
Not as plain as the lunch. Really nice Mati.

03. epf - Prelude No. 16 in Db Major
A composer I know very little about. I can see why you ordered the complete set. Wow. Everything is just so well played so far.

45. joangolfing - Italian Concerto (Presto movement)
A nice start on some very tough music. I'm sure the tempo will come and, ignoring the tempo, the playing was wonderful.

Jaunty indeed. I really liked your playing. Nice and crisp and bright.

Re: Recital #16 --- General Discussion Room [Re: jotur] #1305921
11/15/09 08:51 AM
11/15/09 08:51 AM
Herndon, VA
kokomo61 Offline
500 Post Club Member
kokomo61  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Herndon, VA
I was wondering how your hard drive disaster was coming along. I don't think I'll ever know what I didn't get recovered

Thanks for the feedback on the Beethoven, BTW!

Thanks for asking about the hard drive....some good news, some (likely bad).

I recovered more than I thought I would.

My Documents folder - recovered - 52GB
Applications - recovered or re-loadable
iPhoto library - some pictures irreplaceable.......recovered! - 25GB worth
iTunes library - recovered (completely, I think). - 12GB worth
e-mail - I have the past 13 months....

Still missing....
GarageBand files - not too much, but still, I'll have to re-create anything there.
Older e-mail archives - back to 2004....still missing.

I've cloned the drive to an external one, and am running the recovery (again) on it....each attempt takes 3-4 days, and previous ones, have crapped out at 60-70GB. One got all the way to 200+GB, then failed. I've hooked it up to a different machine now with a good internal hard drive, and the computer is going to the Apple Store at noon today.....If I don't get back any more data, that's probably OK. the 180GB or so of the encrypted folder includes the data listed above, plus a lot of files that aren't relevant.....the only thing I really want are the email archives....and some folder info for my iPhoto library.

I am backing up daily now, and no longer using encryption....consider the lesson learned.

Last edited by kokomo61; 11/15/09 08:51 AM.

Estonia 190, #6098
Re: Recital #16 --- General Discussion Room [Re: kokomo61] #1305926
11/15/09 09:00 AM
11/15/09 09:00 AM
H
HomeInMyShoes Offline
HomeInMyShoes  Offline
H

^Glad to hear you are having some luck getting stuff back. Hardware failure is a nasty thing.

44. Euan Morrison - I'm Going to Make a Cake
I was really looking forward to this. I wasn't disappointed. Very nice. I liked the title.

37. mahlzeit - "Up" Theme
That was very enjoyable. Impressive result for a rush job.

33. ten left thumbs - Clair de Lune
One of those pieces I've looked at before, played the first ten or so bars and then given it up as too much work. I'm lazy. I admit it. Wonderful and expressive playing. A treat.

19. Bunneh - Première Gymnopédie
15 months? I don't think I tackled one of the Gymnopédies before eight or nine years. Another very nice submission.

27. Jazzwee - Autumn Leaves - Rhythmic Play (to do)
I don't know, I thought the somewhat wurly sound was quite effective, especially given the 3/4 4/4 you were doing. You are constantly amazing me with the rhythmic and melodic stuff you are doing. Kudos.

Re: Recital #16 --- General Discussion Room [Re: HomeInMyShoes] #1305928
11/15/09 09:04 AM
11/15/09 09:04 AM
Jersey Shore
M
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Mark...  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M

Jersey Shore
Early morning, coffee, everyone sleeping and I get to listen to all you wonderful players...

Performer's name: jazzyprof

Wow, such a deep complicated long piece wonderfully done. You must of been working on it a long time. I couldn't imagine trying to record it cleanly...bravo! The B sounds great also...

Performer's name: dannylux / Mel

Not familiar with this piece, but its well played and your digital does not sound like a digital. Awesome recording. Thanks

Performer's name: epf

Great gentle touch and feel on this piece. Really nailed the dynamics. Videos are extra credit too! Thanks

Performer's name: Ode2Joy

Mozart is one composer I find super difficult even on simple short pieces. You did a wonderful long recording on that sweet C-3...thanks.

Performer's name: Ken.

Well done Ken, I'm doing many of these short pieces and I really like them. You nailed it. Thanks.

Performer's name: Mr Super-Hunky

I love this piece and hope some day to play it. Welcome back to sheet music (lol). You really did a great job. I can't imagine trying to record something this long and complicated. The BB sounds like butter too. Bravo!

Performer's name: TrueBeginner

I'm always amazed at those who can imper vise and this time too. Well done. Did your 8 year old ever end up playng it? Thanks!

Performer's name: Peyton

Another high end difficult piece not only recorded but video taped. How you guys do it so well amazes me. Especially Chopin which takes such a special touch. Another Bravo! Piano sounds super too...

Performer's name: Sam Smith

Play it again Sam! I really liked you playing. I would never guessed that was a digital piano, very acoustic sounding.
Thanks. I never heard the bench either...:)

Performer's name: kokomo61

What a great classic piece. You really played it well. You must record this on the Estonia, but the digital sounds very good too.
I'd like to give this one a shot in the future too. Thanks for sharing it with us...

more to come...

Re: Recital #16 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Mark...] #1305940
11/15/09 09:52 AM
11/15/09 09:52 AM
Southern California
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member
TTigg  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Southern California
I couldn't agree more Mark. It's Sunday morning, wife's reading her paper with her cup of tea. I'm sitting up in my office, chilled, relaxed and listening to all these wonderful recordings.

Here's my first batch of 20....

01. jazzyprof - Nocturne op.48 no.1
Loved it! As always I'm amazed at pieces longer than 5m. I even tried one myself once (which I need to re-do) and will possibly attempt this again soon. Loved the "dark chords" in the bassline. Yep, I think Chopin is bloody talented!

Very technical piece and yes, very much enjoyed listening to it - well done!

Very beautiful indeed. I'm becoming more and more fond of the Preludes as I hear them / play them more and more. Great job! On a side note maybe you can help me with how you edited / saved the movie in WMM? My title and the video itself looks WAY more grainy than yours (which looks crystal clear & perfect).

04. Ode2Joy - Piano Sonata in C, K330 Andante cantabile (2nd movement)
Very calming and relaxing piece to listen to, very well done!

05. Ken. - German Dance in A Major, WoO.13, No. 11
Ken I just LOVE the authenticity to the sound of your spinet , great job!

(cup of tea and sad down ready) wow (insert applause) I have always been an admirer of Lanz's work and I confess to having one of his books. I'm not ready to tackle this piece just yet but getting close (it's on the radar so to speak). Great performance MSH and I continue to look forward to more of your pieces. (end applause)

07. TrueBeginner - Autumn River
OK now your just showing off smile. Another "great" composition and I'm still blown away by your progress & talent. You've been playing only a few months longer than me and whilst I will admit to having "tried to put together some of my own stuff" it's nothing like this, marvelous and keep up the great work!

08. Peyton - Nocturne in Bflat Minor Op.9.1
Simply amazing and very enjoyable to both watch and listen to. Looking forward to move of your videos/updates over time – great work!

09. Sam Smith - Song Without Words, Opus 19/4
Great job Sam and I didn’t hear the bench creak however if you have any tips for a “seriously” squeaky sustain pedal please let me know

10. kokomo61 - Piano Sonata No. 8 in C minor, Op. 13 Adagio Cantabile
Very enjoyable piece to listen to, thanks for submitting. P250 eh? I keep “scanning” Craigslist to see if I can pick one up, I love them! I’m also getting more and more curious about Garage Band and the wonders I may be able to do with it (Artist Lessons etc)

11. flyingfroggy - Nocturne #20 in C# minor (posth.)
I’m sitting here on a frosty Californian Sunday morning listening to your piece and gazing out of the window. Yep, pretty much perfect so well done and thanks for submitting. I confess I had one heck of a time getting my piece in and whilst I’d normally strive for 100% perfection (or as near as I could get it) having little glitches here and there, for me, keeps it real. BTW I couldn’t tell where there were any mistakes anyhow, loved it!

12. Glen R. - Waltz (Op. 39, No. 15)
6mths!! WOW great work and keep up the lessons. I’m very much looking forward to hearing more from you.

13. HomeInMyShoes (HIMS, Homey, Home, Aaron) - Trois Gnossiennes
Another stunning performance, very well done!

14. Kalai1/Chris - Leo O Kapo (voice of the night)
Sounded great and was enjoyable to listen to. As for the chords I wouldn’t worry about it. I’m still amazed to this day when I hear about people on Telly etc who (Daniel Powter etc) who have no idea how to read music and have to have people transpose their work, they just sit & play.. Great job!

15. Mar_red - Stranger in Paradise & Love Letters (medley)
It was very enjoyable to listen to, nice work!

16. Sandy Moore - Hills of Purple Heather
Very nicely done Sandy and I’m sure your brother will enjoy hearing it for sure

17. b528nf7 (Bill) - Layla
Great job, I see someone has a new “toy” to play with.

18. Todd Vance - Sonatina (Clementi, Op. 56 No. 3)
Amazing performance for 9mths! No really!!

19. Bunneh - Première Gymnopédie
Simply stunning and beautiful. Excellent job and one I must put on my “keys list”..

20. salzdt - Kupelwieser Waltz
Welcome to the ABF Recitals! Very well done and was a pleasure to listen to!

OK time for some more espresso!

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
Re: Recital #16 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Mark...] #1305941
11/15/09 09:54 AM
11/15/09 09:54 AM
H
HomeInMyShoes Offline
HomeInMyShoes  Offline
H

12. Glen R. - Waltz (Op. 39, No. 15)
That was very nicely played. Your teacher must be proud for only six months of lessons. Very nice touch.

36. Always Wanted to Play Piano - Sonatina Op.36 No.1 in C major - 1: Spritoso
I spent some time this year working on this Sonatina. I thought it was cute, my wife made me quit it. Maybe I'll finish it up with headphones some time. It could be a bit zippier, but you played it well. You should be very proud of this after only two years.

66. AnthonyB - Exit
Beautiful. A quite dark piece, but it's title is a fitting end to the recital pieces (even though it's not the last piece I'm listening to).

47. John Frank - Leaves on the Seine
My memory is calling uncle just thinking of committing something of this length to it. That was a wonderful listen John. I don't know about that last note though, sometimes leaving things hanging is quite effective, but I can't fault the resolution either.

52. EJR (Elwyn) - "Ich ruf', zu dir, Herr Jesu Christ" [I call on Thee, Lord] BWV 639
A nice dark sounding piano for the organ transcription made a lot of sense to me. A nice flow to this one.

Re: Recital #16 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Mark...] #1305942
11/15/09 09:57 AM
11/15/09 09:57 AM
Maine
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Peyton  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Maine
01. Jazzyprof... man am I jealous!! I have started that nocturne at least three times only to be frustrated by the middle section. It's one of my favorite nocturnes and you did it justice!! Bravo.

"One's real life is often the life that one does not lead."- Oscar Wilde
www.youtube.com/Biffer5
www.peytonart.com

Re: Recital #16 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Peyton] #1305950
11/15/09 10:21 AM
11/15/09 10:21 AM
Southern California
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member
TTigg  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Southern California
OK 2nd batch, probably going to need some breakfast before tackling the last 20...

21. Riddler (Ed) - Easy Living
Very enjoyable to listen to, I also couldn’t stop staring at your “moving” avatar!

22. cscl - Kuhlau Sonatina Op. 55, No. 2, I-II
May your “reign” continue thumb great job and I love the sound of your 190!

23. Schubertian - Hungarian Melody (D817)
A very enjoyable piece to listen to. The Dynamics came out very well and very much made the piece come alive (for me at least)

24. kawaigirl1 - Like the wind
Yaaaaay she’s back (applause) You’ve been missed and it was a pleasure to hear your work again. Stick around for a bit this time I know you’re swamped but you’ve been missed around here.. Loved the piece, very VERY relaxing and enjoyable to listen to thumb

25. Carl Mc - Piano Sonata No. 14 OP 27/2 1st Mvt (Moonlight Sonata)
Great job Carl and I very much look forward to tackling this piece soon (next year) as I see it’s in #3 Alfred but towards the end. It’s one of those great timeless pieces that is always a pleasure to listen to.

26. Triryche (Rich) - In God's Hands
I love David’s work. Nicely played indeed. One of the things I love most about his music is the sheet music is “exactly” as your hear it. With Wayne Gratz I’ve noticed they are always different to how the recording was done (!). I’m going to have to add this to the list as I simply loved the flow and dynamics – thanks for submitting, really enjoyed it! thumb

27. Jazzwee - Autumn Leaves - Rhythmic Play
Brunch buffet? Now I’m hungry (lol). Very nicely done and the old school Electric Piano sound 2 sounded great!

28. Frotz (Brian) - Notturno (Op.54 No.4)
A very relaxing and enjoyable piece to listen to.

29. Monica K. - Quel Che Resta
wow look at those fingers dancing across the keys. Simply stunning piece Monica played to perfection!! Bravissimo!

30. Copper - Air
A very light and well played piece – thanks for submitting.

31. jotur/Cathy Turner - Sentimental Journey
Nailed it and it sounded great thumb As for lunch, err, nope but then again I thought I was mad with Peanut Butter & Ketchup…

32. Eighty8 - The Summer Knows
Well played, enjoyable to listen to.

33. ten left thumbs - Clair de Lune
Beautiful. “Ahh Danny Ocean” and I can’t decide whether I prefer the old school “Rat Pack” to the newer Pitt/Clooney mob but none the less it was a pleasure to listen to.. Well done thumb

34. pianonewb - God on the Mountain
Nicely played. OK so to “add” to your side note I think you kind of sound like Scott Glen so now I have the image of Scott Glen in his robe and slippers playing and signing (lol)

35. Jillian - Morning Prelude
wow Stunning playing Jillian, keep up the “GREAT” work, sounded simply awesome!

36. Always Wanted to Play Piano - Sonatina Op.36 No.1 in C major - 1: Spritoso
A very technical piece for sure, sounded great so pat yourself on the back thumb

37. mahlzeit - "Up" Theme
Sounded great and was very enjoyable to listen to. My original yearning for Piano came from Film & TV Music so pieces from movies always grab my attention. Rush job you say? I re-recorded and re-submitted my piece in the final hour just before I went to dinner – we’re mad aren’t we…

38. 1WeekPlayer - Minuet in F major BWV Anh 113 (Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach)
Nope I didn’t like it, I loved it! Very well done and keep up the AMAZING work.

39. Piano Again - Prelude and Fugue in C sharp major, Well-Tempered Clavier Book I
Love the sound of your 190 and this piece, wow, very fast and very dynamic. I think if I tried to play something like this my head would spin!

40. CMohr - Mazurka op.67 no. 3
Nicely played, Chopin has so many different levels of enjoyment.

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
Re: Recital #16 --- General Discussion Room [Re: TTigg] #1305956
11/15/09 10:43 AM
11/15/09 10:43 AM
H
HomeInMyShoes Offline
HomeInMyShoes  Offline
H

24. kawaigirl1 - Like the wind
Thanks for giving yourself a kick. It was a joy to listen to.

15. Mar_red - Stranger in Paradise & Love Letters (medley)
I liked them a lot. Fun stuff and there's nothing wrong with faking it.

32. Eighty8 - The Summer Knows
Nice dynamic playing. A really nice piece. Maybe there should do an adult beginners movie music recital some time?

08. Peyton - Nocturne in Bflat Minor Op.9.1
I won't charge you for the missed measure. Beautiful playing. Hypnotic like it should be. I've tried so many times to learn a Nocturne and just given them up as being beyond me doing any sort of justice to them.

18. Todd Vance - Sonatina (Clementi, Op. 56 No. 3)
Nicely played. Very impressive for 9 months and only about 3 years earlier. The forumers consistently make me feel like I make almost negligible progress.

It might be a while before some more comments, but I'll get around to it.

Re: Recital #16 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Mark...] #1305966
11/15/09 10:56 AM
11/15/09 10:56 AM
USA
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012
Strings & Wood  Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

USA
What a great start to the day. It snowed about a foot last night and is still coming down. Got the oversized mug of coffee working and some great music to explore!
Big hats off thank you to Monica, Mahlzeit, Copper, LaValse for their time and efforts.

26. Triryche (Rich)- "In Gods Hands" /b]

Rich, very pleasant and soothing and a perfect one to start my morning. I enjoyed your playing very much.

[b]27. Jazzwee- "Autumn Leaves - Rhythmic Play"

Good job on the one take. I don't know how you do it. I'm sure I look like a bobble head doll while listening... just can't keep still!

28. Frotz (Brian)- "Notturno (Op.54 No.4)"

Brian, Not familiar with this one- thanks for the intro. Good job of maintaining focus - well done.

29. Monica K. - "Quel Che Resta"

Monica, I can see why you wanted this to be your recital piece, it is a beautifully played piece. I love the rhythmic rolls and it is amazing how the silence speaks and weighs on you.

30. Copper - "Air"

Copper, Good job of maintaining the theme- very delicate.

31. jotur/Cathy Turner - "Sentimental Journey:

Cathy, The title says it all... thanks for the trip. Beautiful intro and loved the trill at the end.

32. Eighty8 - "The Summer Knows"

Remember the movie and the music well, had a huge crush on Jennifer O'Neill. Thanks for the reminder- I enjoyed it!

33. ten left thumbs - "Clair de Lune"

I have a personal interest in this one and was especially eager to hear it. It is a beautiful piece and I think you conveyed that well. I think you are very close to having it well in hand. Your piano seems to be well suited to it also. Thank You!

34. pianonewb - "God on the Mountain"

Very familiar with this type of music- well done.

Time for a re-fill.

Re: Recital #16 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Strings & Wood] #1305981
11/15/09 11:26 AM
11/15/09 11:26 AM
Maine
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Peyton  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Maine
02. Mel, what a refreshingly energetic piece. And you handle it masterfully. Great playing.

Carl, you must be in Colorado. It rained 4 inches here in Maine... If that had been snow....

03- EPF... What a pretty prelude. I'll be looking this guy up. You played beautifully.

04- ode2joy... Very nicely played. I've been missing Mozart lately. Thanks.

Last edited by Peyton; 11/15/09 11:34 AM.

"One's real life is often the life that one does not lead."- Oscar Wilde
www.youtube.com/Biffer5
www.peytonart.com

Re: Recital #16 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Peyton] #1305990
11/15/09 11:34 AM
11/15/09 11:34 AM
Southern California
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member
TTigg  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Southern California
OK the last bath of 20...

41. grotrianer - La plus que lente
Dark & mystique, enjoyable to listen to – thanks for submitting.

42. Andy Mann - Manndrew - Time On My Hands
Loved it Andy, very well played, flowed great, nice dynamics.

I’m beginning to spot Chopin pieces as they come up, very nicely done!

wow Loved it!! It reminds me of the “Every day” which may of course be composed by the same person. A challenging piece and you played it very well.

8m wow simply stunning!

46. bluekeys - Invention #4
Very nicely done keys thumb

Bravissimo! Stunning, very enjoyable to listen to JF. I’m going to have to dive into David’s stuff once I’m done with my Xmas project(s). thumb

Dare I say S*M*A*S*H*I*N*G. I can relate to the red-dot issues since this time around I found myself having one of those “bad days” when it came to getting my recording done. Very well done indeed!

49. Undone - Theme from “The Unfinished Symphony”
Very well played my fellow “Afred’r” I’ve put #3 on hold till the new year since I want to work on some Xmas and “Movie” pieces, hope Waltz and I can catch up after that..

50. GregF - Sleeping Through September
I love these types of pieces, excellent playing, loved the dynamics!

Welcome back and a great and lovely piece to come back to us with. Another classic Nevue piece.

52. EJR (Elwyn) - "Ich ruf', zu dir, Herr Jesu Christ" [I call on Thee, Lord] BWV 639
Very dark and mysterious piece, thoroughly enjoyed it!

wow Stunning piece indeed, flawlessly played! thumb

54. MaryBee - Reverie
Love the sound of your CW piano. Not familiar with this piece but sounded great, very peaceful in parts and yet dynamic in others.

Very “steppy” piece and hey, composed by a fellow Brit…

56. rustyfingers - Elves' Dance - Elverdans (Alfedanse) - Elfentanz, Lyric Pieces, Op. 12 No. 4.
Nothing Rusty about those fingers, nicely done!

57. ddh - Daniel - Polskie Drogi (Polish Roads)
Very enjoyable Daniel, thanks for submitting.

wow wow STUNNING! Lovely piece simply AMAZING (my 2nd fav thus far). On a side note, please tell me more about the cabinet / stand that you have your Roland in?

59. LisztAddict - Praeludium BWV 999 in C minor
Great piece, loved watching & listening to it..

60. Larry Larson - atmosphere
Very relaxing and enjoyable to listen to.

Put a sweater on next time and don’t leave things to the last min. Oh and work on the video quality since it’s loosing something in the upload (lol)

62. steveMac - Prelude Op. 28 No. 7
Another Chopin great, very nicely played.

I don’t think I’ve come across a single Prelude that didn’t “move” me. Very nicely played and executed.

64. Mark... - Sarabande
Great job Mark, love the piece and I’m going to have to check out the thread..

65. Jordy - A Brighter Day
Stunning work, always envious of people who can just “compose”. Maybe I’ll get there one day but for now I will enjoy playing as best I can. Very nice work!

66. AnthonyB - Exit
Last but by no means least, great work Anthony. Loved it, really made me just sit back and ponder and imagine all kinds of great piano related stories and wish lists.. Thanks for submitting.

[Linked Image] Well done and HUGE thanks to Monica, Mahlzeit, Copper, LaValse for their time and efforts that make this possible.

wow So another great recital and I’m still stunned by all the great talent we have here. Be we beginners or not, we are family and are all taking this journey together.

We come from all walks of life and from all corners of the globe together with our common passion & love – the Piano..

I can see I’ve got to get “PM’g” Serge & Epf for some advice on how to get some “Crystal clear” videos uploaded. OK my camera’s not the HD wide screen but something is getting lost in my saving/formatting since it looks way better on my pc screen..

OK I will tell myself I’ll be ready for the next one, Feb right? thumb
- SC

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
Re: Recital #16 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Peyton] #1305996
11/15/09 11:41 AM
11/15/09 11:41 AM
Center City, MN
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member
AnthonyB  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Center City, MN
I'll stick with my general rule of not actually commenting on all the pieces. Mainly because I simply cannot comment on everything.

I'll just post and say that I appreciate all the effort that goes into making all these recital pieces sound as good as they do. I think we could come up with a rather scary number if we added a field in the recital for the amount of time spent learning the recital piece then added all those hours up.

I'd also like to give a special thanks to Monica for going along with my idea of tacking my piece onto the end of the recital. Sure, this doesn't work for people who start at the end and work the other way but I thought it was a nice touch anyway.

Finally, a thanks to all the people who play the classical music. I don't really listen to much of it outside these recitals so it is a fun chance to get some exposure to it. Of course, there might be some people who feel the same way about some of the Einaudi stuff I've been playing for each recital I've been in so far.

So, 01 to 65 thanks a bunch! wink

Roland FP-7 / Pianoteq 4.5.1
[Linked Image]
Re: Recital #16 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AnthonyB] #1306001
11/15/09 11:51 AM
11/15/09 11:51 AM
H
HomeInMyShoes Offline
HomeInMyShoes  Offline
H

You should pat yourself on the back too AnthonyB. smile

But I don't want to know the number of hours I spend on recital pieces. I really don't want to know.

Re: Recital #16 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Strings & Wood] #1306013
11/15/09 12:06 PM
11/15/09 12:06 PM
Toronto
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member
Kawaigirl1  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Toronto
Txs to Monica and everyone who had put this wonderful recital together smile

I've started to listen to everyone's performance this morning and will make comments shortly.

Txs Ttigg and HomeInMyShoes for the warm welcome back and comment smile I'll certainly try to hang around more often.

Re: Recital #16 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Kawaigirl1] #1306022
11/15/09 12:21 PM
11/15/09 12:21 PM
Scotland
T
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member
ten left thumbs  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T

Scotland
Many thanks to those who commented on Clair de Lune! smile

I've only made a start at listening, but wanted to thank Sandy for the Hills of Purple Heather - that brought a tear to my eye. The very best of Scottish sentimentalism!

Re: Recital #16 --- General Discussion Room [Re: ten left thumbs] #1306027
11/15/09 12:26 PM
11/15/09 12:26 PM
Southern California
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member
TTigg  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Southern California
Originally Posted by jotur

61. TTigg - Glasgow Love Theme Another lovely piece. I liked your split sound. Between you and Anthony this is the perfect after-dance music.
Cathy

Thanks Cathy. I had originally wanted to get the recording done on the Acoustic downstairs but time was running out. Also it's that time of year again in SoCal and she needs a tune badly (lol)

Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes

Okay, I have no idea where this song is from. It's probably really obvious and I'll feel dumb. Nice performance Steve. Still amazed by the progress people make in such short time. Sounded great.

Thanks for the kind comments. The piece is from the movie "Love Actually" and there are LOTS of great piano pieces in that movie, I hope to someday record them all.

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
Re: Recital #16 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Kawaigirl1] #1306028
11/15/09 12:30 PM
11/15/09 12:30 PM
USA
Jordy Offline
Jordy  Offline

USA
1. grotrianer - La plus que lente
Very mysterious..love the story behind your music

Very nice performance. Love the song

I love your stride and timing. Dynamics were nice.. Great

Very well played

29. Monica K. - Quel Che Resta
Monica, your persistence has paid off. You play so well and one can feel your music when listening.

I too love David Lanz and you did him proud. I like that you're playing songs as originally recorded, but I LOVE your style. You make originally recorded music sound BETTER when you and "you" to them.

Nice playing Joan...a very hard song, but you did yourself proud!

That's got to be hard to play like that, sound like you're a pro with the damper pedal. Very nice
javascript:%20void(0)
42. Andy Mann - Manndrew - Time On My Hands
Could listen all day. Nice dynamics

Not a big Chopin fan, but might be now...great job!

love the story you tell while your playing this song...nice!

46. bluekeys - Invention #4
Very nicely done keys

John, you play so very well. I love your "sound".

Dennis, nice playing as always.

49. Undone - Theme from “The Unfinished Symphony”
That's a cool song...you played it so very well

50. GregF - Sleeping Through September
I think this song is really, really nice and it's only cause of the way you played it.

Sounds so professional, Great Job

54. MaryBee - Reverie
Very interesting music. You kept me wanting to listen more...love the dynamics

Very, Nice…

56. rustyfingers - Elves' Dance - Elverdans (Alfedanse) - Elfentanz, Lyric Pieces, Op. 12 No. 4.
There's nothing rusty about your fingers...Yay great job!

57. ddh - Daniel - Polskie Drogi (Polish Roads)
Wow, can't believe you're a beginner. Great job!

Seger, you always play so very well. Great job

59. LisztAddict - Praeludium BWV 999 in C minor
Not a big fan of Liszt, but enjoyed your rendition. Great.

60. Larry Larson - atmosphere
Larry, you inspire me!

Love the story in this song.. nicely play

Very moving music. Hard music to play, but you nailed it!

64. Mark... - Sarabande
very nice job. You play so well

66. AnthonyB - Exit
You inspire me Anthony, it's like your soul comes out in your music

Last edited by Jordy; 11/15/09 12:36 PM.
Re: Recital #16 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Jordy] #1306031
11/15/09 12:33 PM
11/15/09 12:33 PM
Bowie, MD
T
Todd Vance Offline
Todd Vance  Offline
T

Bowie, MD
Thanks for the feedback (I'm #18)---I thought I'd mention how I put this one together. This is a copy of the paragraph I emailed my sister, the REAL pianist of the family (middle school music teacher, piano concentration with her music education major in college):

There are a few mistakes--I recorded it in 6 parts and put them together--I should have put blank space between the movements. 4 parts for first movement (no repeats--the forum had a [tdv: megabyte limit that amounted to about a] 7 minute limit for their online recital) and one part each for the 2nd and 3rd movement. What I did was use the keyboard's own recording feature to record, then played back to my laptop which used Audacity, a free recording program you can download, with an .mp3 plugin to convert to mp3 files. I recorded each of the 6 files multiple times, often stopping, deleting, restarting, and made several complete versions of each file, picked the best file of each, and used Audacity to adjust the volume some. Nevertheless, doing them separately, I managed to do File#1 of the first movement faster than the other three files (it wasn't easier than the other 3 parts, but I'd practiced it more, since each time I practiced, I started at the beginning). My practice method, the last 2 weeks before the recital was due, was to go through first measure by measure (after having very roughly learned the piece over the last few months) and play each measure 10 times in a row without a mistake, some measures taking a long time before I could do that. Then, I tried doing small groups of measures, 2 or 4 or a phrase, and later whole sections. I was never able to do an entire section 10 times in a row without a mistake, so I decided good enough is good enough and started recording. The toughest mistake for me to avoid was hitting two notes with one finger. I'd do a measure many times to try to reduce (never quite eliminate) that one. A lot of hours went in to preparing for this. When I returned to band practice September, the 2nd chair sax asked me if I practiced sax all summer, I said, no, I practiced piano all summer.

Todd
Re: Recital #16 --- General Discussion Room [Re: ten left thumbs] #1306035
11/15/09 12:43 PM
11/15/09 12:43 PM
Canada
SAMoore Offline
2000 Post Club Member
SAMoore  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Canada
Originally Posted by ten left thumbs

I've only made a start at listening, but wanted to thank Sandy for the Hills of Purple Heather - that brought a tear to my eye. The very best of Scottish sentimentalism!

Thank you ten left thumbs. That means a lot to me .... especially today. I'm having the absolute WORST practice day. Away from the piano for a couple of days and now everything seems to have fallen apart. I feel as though I can't play ANYTHING so you've inspired me to push on....

I'm off to listen to my teacher in concert now and will begin listening to all when I return later today.

It's the journey not the destination..
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Purchased Baldwin R Grand. What to expect...
by Ecogirl2206. 11/17/18 06:08 PM
Great pianists who don't/didn't play Liszt
by pianoloverus. 11/17/18 05:54 PM
DP around $ 1000
by orangeman. 11/17/18 05:51 PM
Wilhelm Grotrian WGS-165
by jarobi. 11/17/18 01:51 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,386
Posts2,762,025
Members91,513
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission