2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
45 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,198 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
M
Originally Posted by slowpogo
For what it's worth, I've had a Yamaha P-80 for about 6 years. It would make sense that the P-85 is its successor.

The P-85 is actually supposed to be the successor to the P-70. (Yes, I know, Yamaha's product numbering system doesn't make a lot of sense.)

But then again, you only have the choice between the P-85 and P-155 right now, so I think the P-85 is also supposed to replace the P-60/80/90 in a way, i.e. it's the current P-"sub-100". I do believe it's a lot lighter than the P-60/80/90 though.

R
RDW Offline
R
Originally Posted by Martin C. Doege
For what it's worth, I've had a Yamaha P-80 for about 6 years. It would make sense that the P-85 is its successor.

The P-85 is actually supposed to be the successor to the P-70. (Yes, I know, Yamaha's product numbering system doesn't make a lot of sense.)

One significant downgrade from the P80 is the quality of the keyboard action. The P85 has a 'Graded Hammer Standard' keyboard like the P70. The P80/P120/P140/P155/CP33/CP300 have 'Graded Hammer Effect' boards, which IMHO are well worth the extra money.

M
M
Originally Posted by RDW
Originally Posted by Martin C. Doege

One significant downgrade from the P80 is the quality of the keyboard action. The P85 has a 'Graded Hammer Standard' keyboard like the P70. The P80/P120/P140/P155/CP33/CP300 have 'Graded Hammer Effect' boards, which IMHO are well worth the extra money.

I agree that the CP-33 feels very different (much heavier) from the P-85, but between the P-85 (GHS) and the P-155 (GHE) I don't notice a lot of difference. Both are pretty light in touch, but in a good way. So there must be something else going there besides the difference between GHE and GHS...

K
K
Hi I have used the P80 and the P90 and I can hear a big difference in the sound quality between the two, I like the p80 much better, the p90 seemed to have a different sample or somthing, I could never get the same sound quality that I get from the p80, you can hear my p80, I just posted a piano piece of mine in the members recordings forum.
And since I know nothing about chords and I can't read music I only play by ear, so I know I can hear a difference, I sold the p90 because I did not like the sound.
Yamaha is also very good about standing behind there pianos, I got a free keyboard when my key broke.
I am sure other pianos are just as good as the p80 but I only tried the p80 and p90 and I say go p80 if you can, aloha.

Chris

B
B
My first piano was a P140, and I've been very happy with it.
After upgrading to an acoustic, I still use it for night practice.

If I'd have to choose between the P85 and the P140, I'd go for the P140.

Interested thread this. I am about to buy a Yamaha P85 and wasn't aware that Yamaha had different quality levels relating to the graded hammers.

I am not in a position to try before I buy as I live a long way from the company I will be buying from. Is the action close to that of an acoustic piano? Also I have the ABRSM piano grade one; how far would I be able to progress with this digital piano if I wanted to take further grades?

Thanks

Apologies to the original poster for jumping in here!

Last edited by Relica; 10/31/09 03:20 PM.
C
C
My first time on the forum. I saw a conversation earlier about a yamaha clavinova cvp - 7. I can't find it now to ask but maybe you could point me in the right direction. I just bought one for a great price but it doens't have a power cord. Do you know where I might be able to get one?

Melinda
M
M
Originally Posted by Relica
Interested thread this. I am about to buy a Yamaha P85 and wasn't aware that Yamaha had different quality levels relating to the graded hammers.

I am not in a position to try before I buy as I live a long way from the company I will be buying from. Is the action close to that of an acoustic piano?

I would definitely want to try different instruments before I decided which one to get. Can't you visit another store that has a wide selection?

In principle Yamaha has GHS, GHE, and GH3, as well as NW, but there seem to be other differences at play, i.e. not all GHE instruments feel the same. I think overall the Yamaha actions feel quite realistic, but there are definite differences in terms of key weight, surface material, etc. So try before you buy! (Or at least make sure you can return the instrument if you don't like it!)

M
Milk Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hey,

Today my quest is gonna be over(or about to begin?).

I've narrowed my choices down to P140(1 showmodel left) + Roland EP-880 + CLP 320

I figured out it doesnt need to be a stage piano since I'm not gonna perform/take it with me any time soon and the size difference between a stage and home digital piano isnt that much.

I'm wondering what your experiences are, does the CLP320 produce the same sound as the P140/P155? Would the CLP320 give more quality for the same money? (P140 = same price as CLP320)

Thanks

V
V
CLP 320 speakers > P 140 speakers

Also, I think the Roland doesn't have Progressive Hammer action, might be wrong tho

O
O
Because of the better sound system, I think the CLP320 will likely sound better than the P140 when played through the speakers. I'm not sure which one would be better through headphones as I haven't tried them head-to-head, but they both have similar specifications (three-level sampling). If space wasn't an issue and I was in your shoes I think I'd go for the 320.

J.S. Bach: Two-part invention No. 4 in D minor, BWV 775
Muzio Clementi: Sonatina in C Major, Op. 36 No. 1
Ole Olsen: Fanitull
M
Milk Offline OP
OP Offline
M
The salesman told me that stage pianos vs home pianos are the visa versa of laptops vs computers. Laptops are more expensive compared to computers because of the laptop being portable. He told me that home pianos are more expensive because you pay for the "furniture" that the home piano delivers, unlike the stage piano.

Do people agree with this?

Sounds about right to me, but don't forget the larger speakers too that normally come with home pianos.

M
Milk Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hey,

I'm now doubting between the KORG sp 250 and the P155. (P140 is unavailable hehe)

I'm a beginner and I did like the sound of the P155 + the touch was better. I'm wondering though how much the touch of the P155, compared to the KORG sp 250, will affect my playing. Is it a really big difference once you get good?

I'm plannning on plugging my piano on my pc, even though I like the fact that the P155 has a good sound without a pc, I'm having second guesses since the korg sp 250 is 700 euros cheaper and the only real + the P155 has is the better touch when hooked up to a pc. Do you think its worth it for a beginner like me?

Last edited by Milk; 11/16/09 04:42 AM.
O
O
I was wondering about the same thing a few weeks ago and decided that the P155 keyboard wasn't "better enough" to make up for the near doubling of the price (especially considering the SP-250 also comes with stand and pedal included). So far I'm very happy with the Korg!

J.S. Bach: Two-part invention No. 4 in D minor, BWV 775
Muzio Clementi: Sonatina in C Major, Op. 36 No. 1
Ole Olsen: Fanitull
Hi Milk,

As other posters frequently write- you can change the sound of a DP but not its touch. If you liked the Yamaha's touch much better than the Korg, then it will be worthwhile to get the more expensive model. The other plus is that you did also like its onboard piano sound, so you wouldn't be required to have your computer with you if you gigged with it.

For me, budget is the bottom line. If the dp (or whatever big purchase) I really like is in my budget, albeit at the top, I go for the best I can afford because I will have less buyers remorse. It totally bugs me when I go cheaper and it falls short in a respect that I could have had- hate that feeling!

Go back, play both models and see which one you really enjoy playing and go with your gut! wink Good luck to you!

Love others and do what you love!
P
P
Hi Milk. I've been looking for a digital piano as well, and I had a chance to try out the Korg SP250, the Yamaha P155 and the Casio PX-330 today. All through my good $200 worn-in headphones, as that's the only way I wanted to judge. I won't comment on the features/jacks etc. as people know what they must have in that regard.

I'm a cellist who's only played alongside pianists my entire life so take it with a grain of salt perhaps. I expected the SP250 to be much better than it was, very disappointed. The sound was not good at all in my opinion, easily the worst piano sound of the three (which can be changed through software of course). Unfortunately it also had too light of a touch compared to the acoustics I tried out in the showroom just for kicks, and was not at all "just like" the P155's touch.

The PX330 and P155 both had good quality piano sound, leaps ahead of the 250 and, surprisingly, I couldn't choose which sound I liked the best (remember I was wearing good headphones, rendering the speaker difference irrelevant). The PX sound was much improved over the PX110 my friend used to have, as was the touch; it felt less sluggish but still a bit too heavy. The P155 was noticeably better than the P140 he currently has in all regards.

The touch on the Yamaha was the best, with the Casio being too on the heavy side. There was no syrupy-ness or inability for fast repetition on the Casio though, just more resistance.

So my opinion, if you have the money go for the P155; it's the clear winner and the price tag reflects that. In the lower price range even the PX130/330 wins easily over the Korg, so if you are only choosing between SP250 and P155, Yamaha is easily my pick. If you must save money it's worth comparing the new Privias to the Korg.

This is just my OPINION. Everyone likes different sound and touch, even between acoustics. Go with your gut. P85 is inferior to all of these.

Last edited by Passion; 11/16/09 10:25 PM.
G
G
An issue that I often have when reading reviews is the suggestion to judge a DP with headphones. Well, I think that most of us like to play for themselves but also for others. The built - in speakers are important, and I think that their quality affects the price.
I played the Privia PX 330, and honestly, without headphones and through the tiny built-in-speakers,it sounded as a toy to me.
Same for the P-85. The P 155 sounds much better through the speakers.
and also the Korg SP 250 sounds better through the built-in speakers than the Privia (in my opinion).
So, unless you want to play only with headphones, judge a DP without them !

P
P
Originally Posted by gerardo1000

So, unless you want to play only with headphones, judge a DP without them !

You are correct, and I did try them without as well briefly and of course the sound was worse on the ones with weaker speakers (P155 being the best).

I only assumed most people would either play through headphones or run their sound through better speakers, as the quality difference it makes compared to the built in speakers on these ~$1000 and lower models is quite significant.

Understandably some people can't or won't do that, and if you plan on ever only using the built in speakers then by all means that's the best way to judge them, but even with the P155 you're missing a lot of potential (in my opinion).

You are right that I would not recommend playing the Casio through the built in speakers, as the quality is not great. But I feel the same on the Korg. Only the Yamaha P155 is reaching the point that I feel the sound is adequate out of the box.

Last edited by Passion; 11/16/09 10:41 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission