2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1304763 11/13/09 01:22 PM
P
OP Offline
P
I've just recently started teaching myself piano, so I can't play by ear yet. Therefore I was hoping someone who can play by ear, can tell me what notes this guy is playing? Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ImgCKvOXCU

T
T
you'd be better off on jazz, non-classic forum where playing by ear is a must. Classical pianists not necessary have that skill...

p.s.
this song is very simple, listen to it and try and error, you'll get it. Otherwise you'll never learn it.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Like the title says, it's a new song - maybe it didn't even have a name yet when the guy played it. The introduction starts with an A minor chord, then F major, then G major. Near the beginning of the verse, there's also a C major chord in there. I hope you'll be able to work it out from there.

Playing by ear is a good skill for anybody, classical, jazz, pop, whatever. In pop music like the guy is playing, then playing by ear is the common everyday way of doing things - but just because classical players use books a lot, doesn't mean we don't work on playing by ear too.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
david_a #1304845 11/13/09 03:24 PM
T
T
Originally Posted by david_a

Playing by ear is a good skill for anybody, classical, jazz, pop, whatever. In pop music like the guy is playing, then playing by ear is the common everyday way of doing things - but just because classical players use books a lot, doesn't mean we don't work on playing by ear too.

that would ideal but is it the case? Main reason is probably it's almost not possible playing by ear complicated piano pieces
exactly so that skill is neglected.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
In order to play by ear, you must first have the song memorized in your head how it sounds. Without that you'll never get it.

I would first learn to play familiar tunes by ear, like Happy Birthday, Christmas carols, folk tunes, etc. You'll have to sing as you do it, too, so you can feel if the notes gets higher or lower, and if it's a large leap or a step. You can physically feel it when you sing, whereas just trying to match the notes you hear in your head will be total guess work. As you get better at this skill, of course, then you can bypass the singing part.

You've first got to be able to crawl before you can run, though.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Morodiene #1304873 11/13/09 04:03 PM
T
T
the goal is more or less like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ciFTP_KRy4

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Yes the guy in the initial video is doing the equivalent of more or less strumming a guitar... though I'd do that to if I could actually sing wink

And yes LOL we should all strive to play like Mozart... that would be something, wouldn't it!

Acoustic: Yamaha C6 with AdSilent
Digital: Yamaha N3X, Kawai VPC1 with Pianoteq
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by tremens, delirium
Originally Posted by david_a

that would ideal but is it the case? Main reason is probably it's almost not possible playing by ear complicated piano pieces
exactly so that skill is neglected.
So, play things by ear that are not so complicated. Whatever works for each person.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
david_a #1305067 11/13/09 08:30 PM
B
B
I find it a lot easier to play Classical pieces by ear, specifically baroque stuff written for Harpsichord like The Well Tempered Clavier, the patterns in those pieces make them great places to start.
I'd suggest getting the complete Well Tempered Clavier books 1 & 2 (J.S. Bach) on CD, and also the music scores. Make sure it's played on Piano and not Harpsi. because the note is always clearer.
Start off with the first prelude from Book 1 in C, listen to it while at the Piano, start off with trial and error and eventually you will get the notes. Carry on this way and chose the slower pieces at first, then progress to faster ones! Another reason this is a good place to start is as it's Harpsi. music there are virtually no chords, so that cuts out at least one complication.

Oh and don't actually look at the scores until you've got what you think the piece is in your head, then check to see if you were right!

Good luck!

- Al.

Bach: Fantasia and Fugue in G Minor BWV 542, Toccata and Fugue in D Minor BWV 565
Beethoven: Moonlight Sonata: 3. Presto Agitato Op. 27/2
Chopin: Scherzo No. 2 in B Flat Minor Op. 32, Ballade #1 in G Minor Op. 23/2
Liszt: La Campanella S.140/3, Grand Galop Chromatique S.219
Rachmaninov: Preludes Op. 23

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission